Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm doing a co-op campaign and have a Doomsphere under the Oak of Ages.

The game is not a fan. I've gotten a CTD twice. It even has special art for a charred out tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

In my experience, you'll want to pretty much immediately prepare a nuke under Itza(vortex) and Miriblablabla(ME), especially the latter because there's no way you're going to break Tilea's fyouull stack+giant garrison with the units you have available by turn 12.

Tilea sent 2 full stacks at me when I was just outside reinforcement range of the barracks.

Almost double my numbers, but it was an open field and my plague claws, jezzails, railings, and a doomrocket.

I didnt lose a single unit

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think my main complaint is literally just having them on the field would make any high value units kinda crap, you don't really need to think about it, just have them target the high value unit and it dies eventually.

Accuracy enough to hit mass troops and things like giant monsters or artillery teams with a few volleys, that's fine, and a situational ability to let them snipe out lords is also fine because you can micro around that kind of accuracy, but them having that accuracy all the time puts the attention requirement waaaay to far in the favour of the person with the weapon team.

Jezzails would still be very effective if they were less accurate, being 100% accurate or near enough at their range just makes them broken against lords and things in a way that nothing else in the game is. They're literally as good as buffed cannons are now, while also being way better against infantry.

Show me on the doll where the Ratman touched you...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

so far my plagueclaw catapults are still outperforming my ratling guns

the ratling guns can melt stuff if its in their optimal range, but they take forever to move and change targets, and shielded units can push up on them pretty well. its harder to keep them protected (for me at least) by melee units, cause unlike bowmen or slingers or catapults, putting your rats between your gunners and the enemy stops them firing effectively.

I've been using my Ratling guns to shut down cav charges and basically as flak guns to kill poo poo in the air. It's been working great so far.

But yeah, plague catapults are better at killing infantry and jezzails are better as a hero scalpel and against harder targets.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

loving hell. I saw level 3 Workshop requires a lvl 15 warlock and lvl 15 engineer. I though Ikit counted.

He doesn't.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So if I'm using Stormvermin as a front line for Ikit should I go with shields, halberds, or a mix?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, the Old World blowing up was before the new leadership.

Age of Sigmar on release only had 4 pages of very loose rules and no way to balance forces (it literally said just to bring what you want). It also had extremely childish rules like acting like a snob if you're playing elves, comparing beard sizes, yelling phrases for a unit buff, etc...

New GW has been playing damage control with Age of Sigmar since then.

Edit: some of the new stuff, mainly terrain, has "designed in the UK, made in China" on the box.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Luminous Cow posted:

I stuck out an Ikit campaign for 100 turns but man I just absolutely HATE the food mechanic. Campaign abandoned. Ikit and the new Skaven units are super fun though.

I hated it too, until I started to abuse under empire cities.

Spread them all over and make sure to build the buildings for food. Added benefit of spreading corruption so you don't have to spend food for uses of the Menace Below.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I tried for the longest time to Confederate Pestilens when I was playing as Ikit.

Skrolk kept refusing so I just nuked him off the face of the earth when he decided to follow some dark elves into war against me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So apparently if Ikit gets wounded then the Storm Daemon quest disappears. Bummer.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For attacking on sieges as Skaven I've made good use of jezzails as long as there's a hill.

I set them on the hill at max range, put them on guard mode, and let them tear apart whatever goes on top of the walls.

After the walls are breached by my artillery the ratling guns get their turn by filling the streets with warp-laced lead.

I do have a question with leveling Ikit though. I pretty much universally start with getting Lightning to lvl 2, musk of fear, then warpstone tokens. Next I've usually gone the route of making recruitment/upkeep cheaper. Is that the best route?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think my favorite siege I've done was super early game with Ikit. I didn't even have the ability to recruit anything that needs a lvl 3 settlement.

I had two 20 stacks of clan rats and I just cracked Mageitta's walls with a doomrocket and swarmed them through the gap.

Bloody as hell, but fun as hell.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Marvelous

source: https://imgur.com/a/RSrtpiN

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I see the Ulthuan Undercities as less literal subterranean cities and more Skaven living in nooks and crannies of the cities.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You either kill them all when they're charging you or your ranged buckles.

I've tried a couple armies like that, I prefer having like 8 Stormvermin shields as the front line.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

In basegame news, the Skaven under-empire buildings got nerfed completely into the ground. The basic food building, "Skavenger Raiders" produced 2 food; it now produces 1. The basic money building "Warp-Token Stash" didnt cost a food upkeep; now it does. The first tier of % income building now has 1 food upkeep, instead of none; tier 2 now has 2 food upkeep instead of 1. The Under-Empire expanding building now has a steep money and food upkeep where previously it was minor. All of the advanced/unique buildings that add a smattering of small bonuses now all have prohibitively expensive money and food upkeep.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Under empire got overly nerfed. I'm not sure it's worth it anymore.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The PO hit from skaven corruption maxes at -5 if you're playing as skaven.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish Ikit was nearly as fun as he seemed from the trailer

Speak for yourself. I fukkin love playing Ikit.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They've taunted Brettonia fans with some ghouls equipped with halberds, fleur de lis on their terrain, and some fluff about how they think they're nobles. Basically just enough that could be interpreted that Brettonia is now just all ghouls, but not so much to say it outright.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TaintedBalance posted:

Despite some protestations of others, yes, this is the "balanced" doom stack that does a good job of balancing how completely insane Ikit weapon team/artillery teams are with how micro/macro good you need to be at understanding it. If you're new to skaven, this will work very well and once you understand this comp, you can start trying some of the other ones. I personally roll:

4 Ratling Guns
2 Warplock Jezzails
2 Warpfire
3 Doomwheels
3 Plague Priests
2 Plaguefire Catapults
1 Lightening Warp Cannon
1 Poisonwind Mortar
1 Engineer
1 Ikit Claw

Mostly because I like watching Warpfire weapon teams melt enemies and the Warp Cannons are fun to watch snipe dragons out of the sky. They're all good once you understand their roles. Ultimately range is king in single player and skaven are the best at it.

My personal favorite Ikit stack is:

1 Ikit
1 Engineer
3 Lightning Cannon
4 Jezzails
4 Poison Wind Mortars
4 Ratling Guns
3 Warp Grinders

Position the grinders along the side towards the enemy and use their ability to stop enemy movement when they get close, then the ratling guns light them up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Playing through a co-op campaign with no mods as Their, and holy hell he has food issues.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think you can only recycle stuff with a failed mutation (imperfection, or whatever it's called)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Why does initiating a lightning strike on a lone army sometimes decrease autoresolve odds? It puts a penalty on the defending army.

Probably the same reason that when I build siege equipment with an army that's just hellpits and brood horrors it increases the auto resolve odds.

poo poo's hosed, yo.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Poison-wind mortars in sieges feels like cheating.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Age of Sigmar lore is such a loving mess that the turn-based part of the game would be tough to do. It goes by the Star Wars style of creativity "this place is a lava planet/realm, that place is a jungle planet/realm, etc..."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Vagabong posted:

Them blowing up the old fantasy world would of been alot easier to swallow if it was because the Orks won. They rule.

iirc the old world end times is basically Skaven loving everything up with Archaon cleaning up and taking credit.

Turns out crashing a moon into the planet does stuff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The real End Times is whichever playthrough you did of TWW1 or 2 where you hilariously beat Archaon up. For me it's always that one very angry tree man marched up and beat them all up before they could even leave the Chaos wastes.

My most recent one was Throt and way too many heavily mutated Hellpits and skavenslaves trapping Archaon in the chaos wastes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's better but honestly all the mainline GW games not named "Lord of the Rings" suck and have always sucked gameplay wise.

Blood Bowl would like to have a word with you.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Blissbarb Archers cover that well.

Unlike their armor, which doesn't cover much of anything :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If the sky dwarves were instead fluffed as something like a group of outcast engineers I think I'd be more okay with them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I disagree. Bland mustachio'd european men who are exactly like irl european men are boring as gently caress even when they exist in a fantasy world and have a different Jesus. The only good parts of the Empire are the wacky bits like Nuln and the Colleges of Magic. I want to see dwarfs and elves and dinosaurs and arthurian knights smashing trolls and daemons and technovikings and hippy goblins. Karl Franz and Kruber and whoever else can gently caress off, I don't care about them. They're boring. If I wanted them I'd go read about the actual Thirty Years War.

Warhammer (fantasy and 40k) was always about normal dudes fighting unimaginable horrors. I think this might not be the fantasy setting for you.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Noir89 posted:

Ah yes the classic"Heh this thing you enjoy is maybe not for you? :smuggo:"

Or maybe, just maybe, it is ok to like different things?

It is okay to like different things, and there are different things made for different people to like. For example: millions of people enjoy WoW, but I don't like it at all.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

#1 Chaos god is the Great Horned Rat :colbert:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Not to disrupt this Great Horned Rat and Slaanesh discussion, but I just want to say that it's bullshit that characters on flying mounts can land on walls. I'm sick of watching Louen Leoncoeur solo my settlements.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I know I need perfect realism in my video game about magic cocaine addicted rats fighting bipedal crocodiles led by telepathic floating frogs.

edit: \/ I use GCCM, the maps in it are great \/

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 10, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I stand by the statement that Orks are the ultimate not-bad-guys in both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k. They love nothing more than a good scrap, and they just want to bring what gives them joy to the rest of the world/galaxy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

I thought the Farsight enclave was still around and his entire thing was that he was stuck in his mech suit for too long and he stopped breathing the mind control pheromones.

Farsight is still around, but he has a daemon sword that extends his life whenever he kills something with it.

So, grey area?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

NewMars posted:

The greatest concentration of beastmen is said to be the warhammer equivalent of antarctica. Can anyone say new, penguin themed overhaul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012