Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

finally finished my first vortex campaign :toot: Tomb Kings have a slow start, but really get powerful with their late-game armies. The starter skeles are complete trash, I didnt have much luck with the nehekara warriors either, those seem almost worse than the spearmen. Thankfully, ushabti are god-tier monstrous infantry and will wipe the floor with just about anything. Really like the bone giants as well, rock solid artillery that is also able to kick some rear end in melee. On that note, the ushabti great bows may have been my MVP units. They have great ranged and melee stats, but they are a hassle to get more than a handful in each army. Of the warsphinx/necrosphinx/hierotitan tier 5 stuff, i think the necrosphinx was the most useful to have in my comps. All my generals ended up on the warshpinx anyways and the drat hierotitan was so slow that it was hard to get it into position. Most of my armies were anti-infantry so all they really needed was a fast monster assassin and the necrosphinx fills that role perfectly. All-in-all, had a blast collecting the books of Nagash, now onto Nakai to wander around Lustria

Once you get Usbatis, you have technically won.
Early game TK is basically abusing chariots and your starting monster until you can get the monsters rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Choyi posted:

The more ammo you use up in battle, the more it counts against your victory score, so if balance of power was equal or in your favor pre battle then its real hard to get decisive victory if your army have a lot of units who use up their ammo during the battle.

Yeah it's dumb as hell.

Does it actually matter which type of victory you get?
Cause a win is a win.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

The more "decisive" the victory the more XP your lord (and heroes?) gets after a battle.

So a secondary effect at best.
Loss of course means dead lord in most cases.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pnutz posted:

just like how the empire took ages to be anything other than state troops, and you had to choose whether between those, wizards and gunpowder units at tier 4

Just started a new Empire in ME after the last patch and the addition of Free Company (old I know) and Archers, do a whole lot to change early troop diversity from Swordsmen and Spearmen.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

You really gotta have a full army of 20 units. Lord, 8 archers, 8 spearmen, and whatever else is pretty solid for the early game

Isn’t the cult of excess the easy faction you start out as enemy with?
If so, there is no point waiting for a full stack and instead just kill them quickly before they have a full stack. This is doable within 5 turns or so from the start of the game.
That the OP have issues with this indicates it is not army composition but rather inexperience with TW.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Do there is one WE called Orion and one called Oreon? :psyduck:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zephro posted:

I think GW have been dropping various inconclusive hints that they're connected for many years. There's an old Grombrindal diorama where he's wearing power armour and toting a bolter. And there was some way to get power armour and a bolter as wargear, I think? In some old grognardy edition, or maybe in the official RPG?

So that is where the Squats went.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

here's something i actually enjoy that i saw recently. drawings for the margins of older warhammer fantasy books. lets enjoy it. thank you.

Aren’t these from like 25 years ago, I remember them from white dwarf. :v:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The issue is rather for those that came late and wants to get all DLCs at once.
The usual price for a DLC is like 10 EUR and which is nothing compared to a lovely tank in WoT.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I would say that based on content, the DLCs have been close to cheap for the cost of 10 EUR a piece once every six months or so.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How do I get into the Empire? I'm doing fine with building up my economy and the battle part, but I'm not even able to kick out the successionists to get more settlements because I'm getting invaded by chaos, orks, my own countrymen nonstop. What do I do? It feels very very stacked against me, and I was told the Empire was the "easier" faction to play as after getting shitstomped as the Skaven a bunch.

Help please

I am running an Empire campaign at the moment and it is a constant case of putting out fires. First I eliminated the secessionists and Marienburg and for some reason ended up owning Couronne since Marienburg took it over. Now I keep one army at the coast for the constant Norsca invasions (and there is no chance of eliminating their homeland at present) and I am also simultaneously fighting the vampires and drycha using limited resources and scorched earth since all elector counts got wiped by manfred and vlad.

Did I mention that I have a great time doing this?
Cause the TW series IMO really shines when you are fighting decisive battles with whatever you can put together.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Eimi posted:

Steam tanks can be healed with lore of life and have extreme amounts of armor. They are great well....tanks.

This game series won’t be complete until I have run over Nagash with a steam tank.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah. The fact that we've seen ENTIRELY Khorne stuff so far leads me to suspect we won't see all four Chaos Gods in at launch.

I would be willing to bet money that release will be Khorne, Tzeentch, Kislev, Cathay, with apparently preorder Nagash.

Nah, they are just running a hype machine train where they showcase each faction separately for maximum hype.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Unless you are a completionist I see no reason for finishing a campaign. You reach a certain point in every campaign where it is obvious you will win and that the rest of the campaign is just mopping up.
Which is kinda boring.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Noir89 posted:

Can't wait to pit demons om bikes vs rats on bikes in the ultimate mad max movie. Bonus points for doing it in Khemri.

Bring snotling pump wagons and we have GorkaMorka.

Collapsing Farts posted:

All the fun ork stuff is in 40K

Snotling pump wagon and squigs says hi.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

I know that making the AI even less capable is not usually something folks want in these games. But applying some sort of actions-per-second limit to the AI would be nice. Like, they could even have it at a level where they can simulate great micro, but no player is gonna be able to perfectly micro 12 units of cav coming from all directions like the AI seems to be able to.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or you press P.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

jokes posted:

?? No, it's all a good and fun romp except for this one thing (and sieges I guess). The game is not boring, unfun, and tedious and I've never said as such.

Again, third time, not forced to corner camp, it's just so heavily incentivized when fighting more dudes than you field over other options it seems like a failure on CA's part. It's a minor and specific thing: fighting heavy cavalry in any appreciable amount just plain ain't fun in this game. 3K cavalry is fun and engaging to fight, so they can do something about it, but TWWH2 seemed to miss the mark with late-game heavy cavalry and chariots. I agree that it's not normal to want to just skip fighting certain comps. Ideally I'd want to fight difficult fights.

Monsters are fun as poo poo to fight though, even artillery. Obviously infantry and archers are too. Light cavalry and skirmishers are fun too. A handful of heavy cavalry is also fun. Getting a nice angle with some handguns on a unit of Blood knights is very cathartic. Having to respond to 3-4 heavy cavalry can get hectic, and kinda fun. 8? 15? No thanks, there's definitely a line.

Also, it's not 1 stack on 1 stack unless I do lightning strikes which is probably as exploitative/OP as corner camping or whatever, and the AI having a numerical advantage is often funner because the AI is stupid as poo poo (even if they're all John Madden with cavalry and chariot micro specifically) and needs the help. It's a fun game. Until you fight lovely comps.

I can't imagine a single person has ever felt like fighting a late-game all-heavy cavalry Bretonnian stack is fun.

You do know that you can pause the battles to do all your microing?
That solves the cavalry and corner camping issue.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like they would probably be quite good against large monsters on the charge.

Like if I don't have a gun, I definitely can't imagine trying to fight a giant with a sword, I would rather have fifty mates with really long sticks so we can all have a go at it.

I can’t have been the only murdering the poo poo out of different opponents in Medieval 2 using Spanish tercios.
Blocking a bridge with tercios and crossbowmen and having Timor charging across the bridge with cavalry and elephants and having them die in droves was fun.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Be English and just put longbowmen stakes in front of a gate then make sure it’s open so the horsemen run in first and all die.

Yeah, that as well.
The English was slightly OP in that game with no obvious weaknesses.
The pikemen were iffy to use, and if one wasn’t careful they would drop the piles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

CA, just take my money.

Just kidding, I already prebooked after the first trailer.