Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Davincie posted:

high elf supremacy

Wow. It only took 4 posts to get the most wrong opinion possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

What's the current best place to preorder TW:W2, based on a cost:not getting my CC stolen ratio.

CDKeys preorder got refunded due to their keys being region locked, wanna get my preload on tonight

Steam.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

How are people building Malekith?

Do people go Tyrant or Warleader?

Are the Mounts worth it?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

How the hell do you keep public order under control as Malekith? Two torture posts per province?

It's making his early game somewhat nightmarish. Also which Dark Rider variant do people prefer

Option 1: Take a bunch of +Public Order research options.
Option 2: Accept constant rebellion. Try to stagger them and just farm them for slaves.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Decus posted:

I haven't noticed the black arc being good in auto-resolve even at maxed. Dunno if difficulty actually effects auto this time, but virtually any helve stack at sea will destroy a maxed black arc if it's only full of tier 1 troops. Helves are just dumb in auto, especially at sea. If there's any bright side it's that they also don't seem to set out much until the Age of Discovery hits so you at least get to use a black arc uncontested for a good while.

edit: Yeah, in auto they're basically treated as level 1 lords apparently even though they have 80% ward saves and all sorts of other buffs in their stats. Staffing them at all is basically wasted money versus just babysitting with an actual lord stack nearby.

That is what I have found as well. The only use of a Black Ark is as a mobile base.

Which is still really handy considering you absolutely have to invade Ulthuan or Tyrion auto wins the campaign.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

What are people's Mid-Late game DElf armies looking like?

I'm trying to find a reason not to go with Malekith, 4 Cold One Dread Lords and 15 War Hydras.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

skaven kind of suffer the same sort of thing orcs did in that they have pretty shaky autoresolve chances

but their cities are also largely invisible, so they have more chances to make it work

Auto resolve breaks in their favor with their ambush stance too.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Just about finished my first full campaign as Edgelord McFuckshismom, it's been a little weird.

-Momrai went loving crazy, confederated all the minor Delf factions bar one then ran off to ravage the far side of Ulthuan while holding off the equally as expansionist Mazdamundi in a brutal back and forth over the Mirror Pool region.

-Southlands got decimated by the Strigos Empire of all people, wiping out Kroq, Queek and all but one Lizardman faction in the region. When I finally encountered them they were spamming stacks full of Zombies/Skeletons/Dire Wolves and were somehow taking out doomstacks that by all rights should have smashed them.

-Malakith with all his gear+Seraphon is a scary contender. 4th ritual he rampaged through all the Chaos/Skaven stacks that spawned on my capital and didn't dip below 350~ kills each battle.

-Corsairs disappoint me. Delf Swords/Spears outperform them every fight and are just more reliable with their shields. Once you unlock Witch Elves there's no reason to ever use them. Even the auto-resolve seems to prefer to decimate Corsair units than Witch Elf units, surprising due to it's hate on for low armoured units.

-Skaven are so bad at sieges on both sides of the wall.

Corsairs seem bugged. They seem to under perform their stats for some reason and I can't figure out why.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I wish they would change siege attrition.

Waiting 8+ turns for it to start is dumb.

Then suddenly half of the defenders die.

It should start sooner and ramp up.

Also gently caress NPC empires spamming you for defensive alliances.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

gently caress Earth Quakes

My Capital was level 3, heading up to level 4.

I had 5 buildings being constructed or upgraded.

Then a Skaven causes an earthquake.

My capital downranks to 2, swallowing a poo poo ton of growth plus about 20-30k in buildings that got canceled because of it.

I honestly think it set me back 20 or 30 turns.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm starting to suspect there is a bug with Tyrion's AI hacks.

I know they get huge bonuses, but the dude is sitting on 4 stacks at turn 30 and can poo poo out a full stack in 3 turns.

On Normal.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I think I'm going to give the "Shades Meta" a go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7516my/guide_to_shades_meta/

Maybe I'll be able to crack Ulthuan earlier this time.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mazz posted:

I think the intervention armies being stupid strong is good since it makes them a credible threat even to the high garrisons, but they definitely shouldn't spawn with movement points and should probably start at the edge of your borders. Also the first ritual should only have the tier 1 or 2 option.

My current strategy is to ignore the ritual, always buy 10k intervention armies and laugh as people doing the campaign get turbo hosed.

I think they need to flip the numbers for the intra-faction bonus and opposing faction penalty.

I've had an intervention force a 4x Phoenix Guard, 6x Dragons and 3x Dragon princes, plus some random chaff.

That army is going to dunk on anything the AI can field for the first hundred turns or so.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grumio posted:

I know you can ignore the vortex campaign, but I'd like the option to play TWW2 without the vortex. Give the four races different goals like 'own all of Ulthuan and destroy the dark elves'

There are mods that effectively remove the campaign by increasing the amount of scrolls required by 1000 times.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LLSix posted:

What's the deal with Radious?

There's a bunch of Dwarves in mountain passes between Teclis and Skrolk. It's like a 4 or 6 turn walk over to Skaven town from Teclis's starting island. In my game, Skrolk spanked the dwarves and I had to retake a bunch of their cities for them, but afterwards I had several turns in march before getting back in contact with Skaven because HEs can't underway.

It adds a bunch of units and make sure each faction has access to all types of units.

Some people like it, some people don't

The people who don't like it are right because Radious homogenizes the gently caress out of the factions

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Any word on a fix for the idle unit bug?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The issue with the whole LOS blocked thing is it's not that they're worried they might hit some allies with attacks - they'll happily fire if that's the case. The issue is that they don't really understand splash/area damage and think they can't hit ANY enemies. It's one thing to fire through your own ranks to hit the enemy but it would be pointless to just fire into your own ranks if the only casualties are going to be on your own side.

I think Warpfire throwers just need to either have a bit more of a trajectory on their attacks, so they can fire over friendlies more easily, or they just need to understand that their attacks will penetrate through the allied units in the way to hit the enemies. When they can figure out how to get a shot they're really effective, but they're really fiddly about trying to get that angle.

They should have an ability they can toggle for safe or unsafe firing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fans posted:

He only real bad thing High Elves have are the Artillery. That and they ain’t cheap

Bolt claw throwers are amazing, even if they show as zero kills.

They do an absurd about of model damage spread out over multiple units.

Which means they units insta-route when your first volley of arrows hit.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JBP posted:

Jesus Christ I left a DE lord at home while Malekith went to get his home back and I'm more afraid of this lord turning on me than anything else in the game right now.

Assassin's have a skill that increases a generals loyalty while they are embedded with them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JBP posted:

A GOT Total War would be boring as gently caress after warhams.

Set during the Dawn Age or Andal Conquest when there was still magic around would be interesting.

But ultimately just a rehash of Warhams.

GoT is about characters and story, neither of which Total War do well.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

deathbagel posted:

Stegadons are amazing. The ballista does great damage with a range of 350 and who cares if you opponent manages to get his cav around to charge it, it's mounted on a giant dinosaur! Stegadons are beasts in melee, while Bastiladons are merely very good in melee and the Solar Engine has about 1/2 the range on it's lazer cannon.

My favorite army is my 6 Stegadon, 2 Solar Engine, 6 Ancient Stegadon 5 heroes on Ancient Stegadon/Carnasaurs and Lord on Stegadon. Just sit back and shoot them to hell while they close while skinks shoot magic to support, then charge your giant dinosaurs into melee then shoot them some more as they run away. That army could take on 3 full stacks at once no problem.

Watching AI light cav flank my "exposed" Dino Arty and get poo poo on never gets old.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pendent posted:

Have the Dark Elves been dominating the ritual race for anybody else? In every single campaign I've played they end up significantly ahead by turn 100 or so if I don't deal with them. I'm Teclis in my current playthrough and Malekith has actually almost entirely taken Ulthuan by turn 130 or so- it really looks like autoresolve loves them something fierce.

It is High Elves for me. Tyrion confederates Ulthuan by turn 75 or 100 then grabs Loremasters and turtles.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Are Hellpit Abominations bad or are saurus spears just good?

HPA's job isn't to poo poo on infantry it is to kill the other guys dragons, hydras and other super units.

Infantry units with anti-large will gently caress them up.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mortal Empires is fun, but drat they weren't joking about the end of turn wait.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Is there a way to get rid of poo poo traits?

Kroq gar got chain blocked in a vamp province and now has tier 2 bloodlust.

Also gently caress agents. Just remove them from the map CA.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

gently caress Confederation.

CA either need to fix it or disable it.

It feels nearly impossible to Confederate at all as the player unless you're up 5 full provinces on the other guy and you shower them with gifts.

Meanwhile HElves, Greenskins and Stunties AI empires just confederate on cooldown.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Plavski posted:

I like how even tho the Order of Loremasters are on the other side of the world and I've never actually seen them in person, I still have -6 relations with them for Tresspasses against Order of Loremasters.

Happens when you teleport for quests.

I had half of Lustria declare on me after I teleported there for a quest.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait hold up. Naggarond got rolled by KROQ? From the opposite side of the planet? I gotta see this :frogon:

I'de buy it.

If Lizards are the kings of auto resolve, Kroq is the fuckin' God-Emperor.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Re: Map chat

Anyone else get the map with the random rear end tower on the AI side about 90% of the time? I've seen that thing all over Southlands and Lustria.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Same, either 30 Years War Europe or Mongol Invasions East Asia would be my wishlist for a major historical release.

My money is on 6 Kingdoms Period in China.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JBP posted:

The funniest games are the ones where Marienburg doesn't crack and builds a massive garrison and three stacks that never leave the city.

Every single game?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

I remember seeing a mod where all Dwarfs get an increasing relationship penalty against each other the more settlements they get; that sounds like a good way to stop runaway confederation trains.

NPC empires should only be able to confederate when they conquer the Capitol for the "Main" faction for their Empire/Species.

That way there is always the appropriate faction, but there isn't any of this runaway poo poo.

Xae fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 11, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

New Butt Order posted:

Queek has the trait "duelist" which is mostly used for heroes and means "never use this unit in actual battles."

If you can actually engage the enemy general or hero 1 on 1 without any chaff intervening he'll melt them, but this is never going to happen so he's just a sub-par melee lord.

Even if there is chaff around it means he'll murder a lord fast.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Beard Tide stuff is interesting.

I've tried to avoid the Old World in ME and it is all Elf all the time.

Tyrion is just an unstoppable force that conquers all of Ulthuan, Lustria and Nagarond by turn 150 unless I intercede.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

It is asinine that NPC armies can leave cities under siege by embarking.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grumio posted:

So what's TWC's take on the new historical announcements? Do they hate then like they hate all things (that aren't meticulous Slavic irredentism simulators)?

TWC and the Grognard crew are intent on proving to CA that no matter what CA does they'll bitch, moan and proclaim the end of Total War is nigh.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ZeusJupitar posted:

Alistair (the wish foundation character) suggests that they could just put him in the lord pool for Mousillon as-is.

They need to do this for all lords.

gently caress generic lords. Each lord should have a little backstory, even if they aren't canon in the lore. Steal the Name of Power mechanic from DEs. Each lord specializes in certain types of troops.

Also double the size of zones of controls, have Empire starts for players start with Reikland and put in a giant "I will not agree to any alliance with you. gently caress off and never ask again" button in diplomacy.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Hung have taken over the Badlands and the Southlands in my Empire game. Apparently the End Game of AI armies is 10 Chaos Lances and 9 Marauder Horsemen.

Also I exiled Brettonia to Norsca around turn 50. They're still alive and kicking up there. Somehow.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

Kholek , closely followed by Kroq-Gar. Both are heads and shoulders above the rest.

The advantage of Kroq-Gar is that when he gets Grymloq he turns into a race car speed double murder lizard combo. He will chase down and eat even the fastest cavalry units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Grimgor is vulnerable to knockdown I thought?

All melee Lords are vulnerable to Net + Bajillion Archers.