Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
huh, i really enjoyed the disc golfing. now the mini golf, OTH is a different story...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Frankston posted:

I just want a minimap.

Or just an overhead map view to get your bearings.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Unless I am confused the only bug/weirdness I have experienced so far is I landed a shot on that first 9 holes mission. Landed with a thud and no roll whatsoever square on the fairway and said "BUNKER".

Oh and also this:

[quote="“Beastie”" post="“476883761”"]
The camera fucks up sometimes when I move it to scope the pin. I’ve had it refuse to center on the character/ball.

Really wish I had a course map. Hell, even a hole layout would be nice.
[/quote]

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oak Manor is my favorite area so far. Just totally insane and out of left field.

Anyone picked up the Skimming Woods? I didn't really see the point. I assume they help on more windy holes since they're lower lofted?

I'm very impressed at the variety of problems you solve by swinging a golf club. It's a very "if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" sort of thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's gotta be an upgraded putter at (or before?) Cheekybeak Peak given these bird challenges, what the hell am I missing?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's gotta be an upgraded putter at (or before?) Cheekybeak Peak given these bird challenges, what the hell am I missing?

I just got there but uh, I forgot I could hold R for some help for like 5 minutes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
This game is surprisingly easy to play when drunk as fuxk

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Haha I did that last night, it owned bones

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I put 2/3 of my points into power. Cuz distance trumps everything.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Anyone else hit this bug in Cheekybeak Peak...

When returning eggs to the cheekybirds, even if you hit the red egg to the red area and the bird retrieves it, you don't get credit for the shot.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Sensual Simian posted:

huh, i really enjoyed the disc golfing. now the mini golf, OTH is a different story...

a Golf story...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Airfoil posted:

When returning eggs to the cheekybirds, even if you hit the red egg to the red area and the bird retrieves it, you don't get credit for the shot.

You might not be hitting it to the right birds. You're not aiming for the ones that are on the course as hazards, the ones you want are off the central island.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Airfoil posted:

It’s not a bug, just unclear. Look around for a bird sitting by itself.

Took me way too long to figure that out.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I did as much of the first zone as I could before bed yesterday. Couldn't figure out the bandana thing but just saw the answer for it earlier in this thread, cheers.

I love all the little stylish touches to how this game does text bubbles.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
So the mini golf putter...worth or no?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The shot shaping and strong wind challenges in Cheekybeak kicked my rear end. I am not so good at golf

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

EpicNemesis posted:

So the mini golf putter...worth or no?

It's extremely useful in a very small number of edge cases. It won't come up very often, but when it does it's a lifesaver.

And it's no more expensive than the midgame clubs, soo...

Lakbay posted:

The shot shaping and strong wind challenges in Cheekybeak kicked my rear end. I am not so good at golf

Blue Moon Dunes is giving me conniptions. It's set up perfectly to lure you into taking risky shots and then punish you for loving up.

EDIT: It's done. I've finished it. Golf Story... is over :negative:

(About 20 hours)

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 30, 2017

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I want Golf Story but with wizards fishing. Someone make this game thanks

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Consummate Professional posted:

I just got there but uh, I forgot I could hold R for some help for like 5 minutes.
holy poo poo I expected that to make even shorter putts like it makes shorter non-putt shots (because I don't golf so lol at knowing what "approach" means) but yeah holding ZR fixed it trivially

Two questions now:
-Where's the dynamo parts? I tried checking the greenskeeper's place and asking Lucky but neither were correct.
-The guy who wants caching coins, is there a way to find caches? Like the archaeologist gave me a radar for the idol bit but then he took it back. Is it just noticing territory that looks weird?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^

Read the hints. It's pretty explicit about telling you where to go.
And the 5 coins is a long term quest. You'll find them as you go.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You can spoiler this but how do I disc golf?? I mean I have the disc and I can throw it. I challenge the girl at Wellworn and all I can do is throw it (FAR!)!in one of 4 useless cardinal directions.

Also: at Lurker, how can I run faster? The foot race is... impossible in my current capability.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Feenix posted:

You can spoiler this but how do I disc golf?? I mean I have the disc and I can throw it. I challenge the girl at Wellworn and all I can do is throw it (FAR!)!in one of 4 useless cardinal directions.

Also: at Lurker, how can I run faster? The foot race is... impossible in my current capability.

- Press B to run faster
- Try moving the left stick left and right after throwing the disc. You'll get the hang of it eventually (though it still kinda sucks)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

The OP is terrible, I admit. But the only thing I really put in there is the answer to your question.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
***Updated the OP with some basic info. Feel free to make suggestions for FAQ type stuff to put in there.

Did I miss anything about throwing the disc?

Anything else that I should add?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I too got stuck on that dumb cheekybeak peak thing.

Hit the red ball to the red birds.

Oh not those red birds. The other red bird over there. Whatever.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm kind of stuck during the Tiny Park leadup, after you get all the stuff to get in. I have the laundry token, but I have no idea what to do from there. I've talked to everyone and I think I've examined everything I can.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

What's the 'Normal' bar at the bottom left-ish, and what changes it?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I'm kind of stuck during the Tiny Park leadup, after you get all the stuff to get in. I have the laundry token, but I have no idea what to do from there. I've talked to everyone and I think I've examined everything I can.

You use the laundry token in the laundry to get the red ball, which you use in the... lounge? Library? On the minigolf course there to get the book down.

That, plus the meal, plus a... I think it was a chamomile soda? Will get the lady on reception to head for bed, at which point you can go outside.

Oh, if you haven't noticed yet, if you hide under the tables next to NPCs you can overhear them talking to themselves/each other. Do that and they'll practically tell you what you have to do.

less than three posted:

What's the 'Normal' bar at the bottom left-ish, and what changes it?

Modes. Hit up/down on the D-Pad and you can use Focus (slower hit bar), Power (more distance) and Tee-Up (ignore terrain penalties) modes. You've got a limited stock of energy for it, though- three uses. Something charges it, I think maybe hitting a perfect stroke?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 30, 2017

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
As it turns out, I'm a goddamn ornithologist!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waltzing Along posted:

The OP is terrible, I admit. But the only thing I really put in there is the answer to your question.

Sorry mang. I should have read it. I was boarding a plane and about to play so I just haste-posted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Sorry many. I should have read it. I was boarding a plane and about to play so I just haste-posted.

No worries. It was a poo poo OP. Now it's just a piss OP.

There is no way the OP was going to match the majesty of this game, though.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
What am I supposed to do about the baby turtles missing at Lurker Valley? I found the idol and turned it in, can’t seem to figure out these turtles though.

edit: nevermind figured it out

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh cool the fish feeding quest broke, time to delete my file and do the first course again :shepicide:

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Yeah, this game is a fantastic little gem but it is hands down the buggiest thing ive played in the last few years. Ive had 2 different bugs occurring regularly on the mini golf course (one which is game breaking) and Ive had to take a break from the game so I dont get too mad.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah I softlocked on minigolf twice, then on the third attempt I had a strange bug where my ball was stuck midair but still completed it.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah I softlocked on minigolf twice, then on the third attempt I had a strange bug where my ball was stuck midair but still completed it.

Ive had that mid-air bug every time Ive tried to play through. Fortunately the ball resets after finishing the hole, but twice my ball has hit terrain and stuck inside it, and I cant pause or move, have to restart the game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Autonomous Monster posted:

You use the laundry token in the laundry to get the red ball, which you use in the... lounge? Library? On the minigolf course there to get the book down.

That, plus the meal, plus a... I think it was a chamomile soda? Will get the lady on reception to head for bed, at which point you can go outside.

Oh, if you haven't noticed yet, if you hide under the tables next to NPCs you can overhear them talking to themselves/each other. Do that and they'll practically tell you what you have to do.

Modes. Hit up/down on the D-Pad and you can use Focus (slower hit bar), Power (more distance) and Tee-Up (ignore terrain penalties) modes. You've got a limited stock of energy for it, though- three uses. Something charges it, I think maybe hitting a perfect stroke?

Yeah, I was just missing how to get access to where you use said item. Figured it out immediately when showing someone what I was doing. Felt like a total moron.

Edit: Really, though, the entire Tidy Park arc keeps topping itself. Just when I think it's stopping, the madness train keeps on rolling.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 1, 2017

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

weinus posted:

What am I supposed to do about the baby turtles missing at Lurker Valley? I found the idol and turned it in, can’t seem to figure out these turtles though.

edit: nevermind figured it out

Yeah I had to go to gamefaqs to figure out after returning the idol I need to talk to the mushrooms again. Which allowed me to pick them up and they are turtles. It is not immediately obvious when you are told to return the idol to solve the puzzle it means do something entirely different. Finding the idol in an totally different place than everyone tells you to look too.

Ruins the immersion.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 1, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hey where do I find the old wood club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Frankston posted: