Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Culdcept Revolt releasing for the Nintendo 3DS on October 3rd is the latest in the Culdcept series developed by OmiyaSoft. Celebrating its 20th anniversary, but relatively unknown in the west Culdcept is a blend of board game and card game mechanics. With nearly 500 cards, Culdcept is a deep strategy game Use magic as currency to summon creature cards to occupy territories, cast spells, equip your creatures with items and corner the gem market. The goal is to surpass a set amount of total magic and then complete a lap.

For a more in-depth rundown of the rules please check out the official site: http://nisamerica.com/games/culdcept-revolt/system/index.html

Also, if you visit the main site, if you sign up prior to the games release you will receive a code for a challenge map and a cosmetic in-game book cover.

Culdcept Revolt has revamped a number of features and increased the speed of battle. Under normal rules Multiplayer battles tend to last about 30 minutes to an hour, and the portable system and ability to save battles makes single player easier to manage.

Single Player

"In a sealed off city ruled by a tyrannical count, "Cepters," those who can control the cards of Culdcept are hunted down and killed. As a young man named Allen awakens without his memories within this city. Taken in by the rebel group, the Free Bats, he remembers his power as a Cepter and takes up arms against the count."

In addition to customizable versus AI games, Culdcept Revolt features a Campaign mode with around 30 main missions and over 100 more additional side missions.

Multiplayer

The meat of the game involving matches between 2-4 players. Both local and online play are available with both friend matches and free matches.

Changes in Revolt

- Faster pace! Particularly in multiplayer battles you don't have to worry about games lasting hours unless you specifically set the rules to make it so.
- EVO cards. Customizable creature cards that you can modify with parts purchased via in-game currency.
- No more castles or forts - now you progress through gates and "lap" by passing the last gate.
- Cards are now earned by purchasing packs with in-game currency.
and more.

The cards feature a artwork from artists across Japan:

Resources:

http://nisamerica.com/games/culdcept-revolt/

The official site

http://www.culdceptcentral.com

A dedicated Culdcept community with various guides and an excellent deck builder.

Videos

Youtuber playing early part of the English version of the campaign.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfM9pc7mqUU
Japanese 4 person game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2EfQFvRAkk

I realize this is a pretty niche title, but I've been looking forward to this forever and I'm hoping I'm not the only one here.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I preordered this one a few weeks ago. Honestly not sure why. I remember the Culdcept game I played on the PS2 being a frustrating slog, and I absolutely suck at collectible card games. ...Yet I still wanted to play this. Maybe part of me is a frustration masochist?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Well last month was a shitshow IRT money, and I have a lot of misc things I want to buy in October so I sure am glad there's not much I want to play coming out in..."

Sees this thread

Oh goddamnit.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I played a Culdcept game on the 360 and sort of enjoyed it... the AI was a cheating rear end cheater so I hope it's not as bad with this game. Got it coming in from Gamefly, looking forward to it.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
The ai stops cheating when you figure out the rules.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Update: it's fun.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Edvarius posted:

I preordered this one a few weeks ago. Honestly not sure why. I remember the Culdcept game I played on the PS2 being a frustrating slog, and I absolutely suck at collectible card games. ...Yet I still wanted to play this. Maybe part of me is a frustration masochist?

It's not so bad once you turn all the speeds to maximum immediately. Still, I played a bit of the PS2 game, and the starting cards are stone cold the same. Same cards, same effects, same art. So I'm looking forward to the 'expansion' stuff.

There was a moment of sheer terror when the 40$ game launched into the tutorial for the DLC store, but poking around in it showed it was nothing but cosmetic items, which is a relief. I'm curious, though: Is there anything to know about buying booster packs in game? Do you not get duplicates, is it a bad idea to buy economy packs when you get commons from normal packs? Is a complete collection plausible or a dumb fever dream?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
It's hard to tell how grindy a complete collection will be because you have to play story mode to unlock other features & game modes which (by changing the rules to make matches shorter) are probably the fastest way to get booster packs. Also idk whether there's an achievement for getting four of each card in addition to an achievement for having one of each. You can sell at least economy booster cards back at cost, so that's nice.

I'm only an hour in but the changes they made to the game do imho make it more engaging and less prone to snowballing and, frankly, insanely one sided matches. I've only had one or two turns where there wasn't anything to do. Great job!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Is there a general rule to follow as far as deck construction goes? Like x amount of troops and x amount of spells/equipment?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Is there a general rule to follow as far as deck construction goes? Like x amount of troops and x amount of spells/equipment?
Not a Culdcept pro but I've always tried to stay around 25-30 monsters in a 50 card deck. Less than 50% and your hands get too item/spell heavy and its hard to take territory, more than 60% and you might feel like you're missing out on support cards. That's just my guideline though, it can vary based on deck composition of course, some monsters need fewer items to back them up, and idk if they're in this game or not but in the 360 version you could make some very nice spell-centric decks.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Has anyone managed to get an online match going?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Does leveling up a terrain and then sacrificing it actually equate to more value than just paying a toll... or is the AI just incredibly loving stupid? I've lost the Wandering Executioner mission 3 times because of the dumb rear end AI doing really dumb things that aren't within my control.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

katkillad2 posted:

Does leveling up a terrain and then sacrificing it actually equate to more value than just paying a toll... or is the AI just incredibly loving stupid? I've lost the Wandering Executioner mission 3 times because of the dumb rear end AI doing really dumb things that aren't within my control.

Absolutely. Selling a high value land is generally a pretty good idea if you go bankrupt. You wind up with a thicker wallet which lets you bounce back--while paying a toll that leaves you at 10 gold means you can't do anything in turns ahead.

iastudent posted:

With MY book? No thank you.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Old Willow on a single-path map is absolutely disgusting. A player in one match swapped it in on a leveled-up fire territory and just coasted to victory from other players being forced to stop on it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

iastudent posted:

Old Willow on a single-path map is absolutely disgusting. A player in one match swapped it in on a leveled-up fire territory and just coasted to victory from other players being forced to stop on it.

It's strong, but it's an all-in strategy. Once people have strong books it's less useful, because that certainty of landing on the Old Willow starts to work against you. If I know that no matter what, I'm gonna hit your Old Willow, I can save up in the preceding turns, use a Shatter to break whatever you've got in your hand, and then use a Drill Lance or a Scroll attack to defeat the Old Willow and steal that delicious level 4 or 5 territory from you. Or while you're setting up your red chain, they can just be spraying goblins around and cut your tree down straight up with a Red Cap. Or they just have a sleeping weapon, letting them shut down the single land you care about. Or whatever.

It's a strong deck archetype that's easy to build, though, so when you're working your way through Story Mode consider saving up for Fire Packs or Water Packs. Once you have three or four, you can throw together a deck with some Fire Shifts, put as much red on the board as possible, and then randomly turn something into a huge tree. Toss in some Birdmaidens or Shieldmaidens to help you get a high level red space as fast as possible, and on a branching path, wait until an opponent is about to walk past a vigorous monster before swapping in your tree.

I prefer Kelpie to Old Willow, basically entirely because of Echinoderm. Echinoderm is vigorous, so you can quickly build up a water space, and unlike the red equivalent Shieldmaiden, it regenerates so it stays on the board longer. It's not a HUGE difference, and the Willow natively has 10 more HP, so follow your dream. (Kelpie can ALSO use weapons, but there are few weapons good defensively)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Man, I've been pretty engrossed in the game. Just managed to beat the story, and now I'm trying to get a decent deck before hitting online.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

It's hard to tell how grindy a complete collection will be because you have to play story mode to unlock other features & game modes which (by changing the rules to make matches shorter) are probably the fastest way to get booster packs. Also idk whether there's an achievement for getting four of each card in addition to an achievement for having one of each. You can sell at least economy booster cards back at cost, so that's nice.

I'm only an hour in but the changes they made to the game do imho make it more engaging and less prone to snowballing and, frankly, insanely one sided matches. I've only had one or two turns where there wasn't anything to do. Great job!

For achievements it's just one of each card. Here's an achievement list that was just added to Culdcept Central:

http://www.culdceptcentral.com/culdcept-revolt/culdcept-revolt-guides/culdcept-revolt-achievement-guide

For grinding, I've done nearly sixty matches and have gotten about 700 cards total and 371 different cards. I've been using the optimum buying strategy though which from that sites grinding guide:

quote:

The best way to spend your Gp on cards is to avoid the Economy Pack and use the starter book to unlock the Standard Pack. Spend just enough money on Starter Packs to build a workable Kelpie or Old Willow book and use that to finish the quest Lurkers in Darkness quickly. Now you can spend more Gp on Standard Packs to earn N rarity cards. As there are no N rarity cards in the Salvation and Gods card blocks, that's all this pack is good for, and it's the most efficient way to earn them. Just don't blow all of your Gp on it; you can always finish off the N cards later.

Continue to work your way through Sleeping Gods saving as much Gp as possible, for once you finish, you have access to every card in the game! Now spend all of your hard-earned Gp on the Rich Pack to earn all of your S and R rarity cards, and the Standard Pack for any remaining N. Note that I don't suggest you buy Salvation or Gods Packs as Rich Packs are more efficient, and other special packs are better for sniping (Salvation/Gods Packs include every card in the Standard Pack and this hurts the percentages).

iastudent posted:

I've been picking up games from the Culdcept Central discord which you can access from this page: http://www.culdceptcentral.com/home/culdcept-news/1042-awesome-new-culdcept-chat-join-us

LostRook fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 7, 2017

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

For fucks sake Yuma, stop feeding Zonk already. :bang:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The AI partners have fairly unique play styles . Some of them are selfish and some are supportive. Yuma honestly seems like she tries to sabotage your team.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pain is defined as the sensation you feel when an opponent drops a yeti down in your mono-fire Boardwalk.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Finally have a deck that isn't complete trash and up to the last mission in chapter 3. There's some real shenanigans decks I want to try out once I've grinded a million packs.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
They've reopened the free DLC for those who wish to sign up for it:

NA: http://nisamerica.com/games/culdcept-revolt/free-dlc/
EU: http://nisamerica.com/games/culdcept-revolt/free-dlc-eu/
AUS: http://nisamerica.com/games/culdcept-revolt/free-dlc-aus/

Offer is open until October 16th!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
OH gently caress YES NEW CULDCEPT... oh wait, it's on 3DS only, gently caress off

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think being portable fits the franchise very well, but do wish this were on the switch. Or go all out and put it on the PC. Oh well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I was vaguely interested in this but didn’t realize till now that it had multiplayer. If I’m completely uninterested in that side of things would the single player still be worth getting the game for?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Definitely! Just imo of course

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I was vaguely interested in this but didn’t realize till now that it had multiplayer. If I’m completely uninterested in that side of things would the single player still be worth getting the game for?
I would say its primarily single player tbh, there's a big campaign and you unlock new card packs and boards by playing through it. I had a lot of fun playing the last Culdcept multiplayer too but also I haven't successfully gotten into a game online in this one

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

katkillad2 posted:

I played a Culdcept game on the 360 and sort of enjoyed it... the AI was a cheating rear end cheater so I hope it's not as bad with this game. Got it coming in from Gamefly, looking forward to it.

I had the same game, and once you figured out what was going on the AI was basically a speedbump. You did have to aggressively edit your decks though. I only got some multiplayer in on that one three times, and it owned a whole bunch playing against other people even if we only had the basic starter decks.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Regy Rusty posted:

Single player is honestly the best way to play these games, you can call the computer every name you want and it won't get mad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also its still Monopoly/Fortune Street at its core and occasionally you get really unlucky and some bullshit will happen that makes you just want to quit playing, and that's harder to do in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cool thanks! I was only concerned because the OP said multiplayer was the meat of the game. I'll probably pick this up the next time there's a lull in new releases.

• Locked thread