Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
As much as we joke about 205 being terrible, W145 is literally two people. One of whom has never fought in the UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

He's another one of those dudes with a real disconnect between how cool he is in the ring and how much of a dickbag he comes across in social media and interviews. Put him in the Cody Garbrandt folder of "Guys I would watch fight all day every day but never want to hear speak again".

I remember him appearing in a bunch of press conferences wearing sunglasses indoors at age 32. That was really fuckin' stupid.

But then I also remember him and Dos Anjos having a sick back and forth fight for 25 minutes at full speed at altitude in Mexico, and that was fuckin' rad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

gently caress yeah. That RDA fight was insanely good.

UFC has just put up the Countdown show for 216. Derrick Lewis is a god drat gem of a human being.

I've been to Mexico City a couple of times and the altitude is a real thing. Climbing a short flight of stairs suddenly feels like an effort. That they fought five rounds, and both gave the impression that they could have gone another five, is loving insane.

I'm still sad that we never got to see RDA trounce Conor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

It's the same poo poo where everyone is like good golly gosh Gustafson looked amazing vs texeira! He didn't look nearly so amazing before his opponent was half blind though

He did, though. He was beating him both before and after.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Glover vs Gus fight was one sided as gently caress but Gus still made harder work of it than he needed to. Teixeira was clearly outmatched from the get go and Gus was sprinting out of range at the first sign of offense. Frustrating fight, really.

I have a theory about Gus' habit of running, that it's a bait. It looks awkward and weird, like a lot of Gus' footwork, and so people think they've got an opening, chasing him. They're actually just wandering into his range, which he sets pretty accurately.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

I'll never get tired of watching him effortlessly whip his shins at people over and over.

There's that footage of him backstage at one of the UFC Brazils warming up, and his coach is visibly wincing even with a huge target between them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, Cyborg managed to win a really one sided fight but do it so badly that it somehow lowered her stock. She really is a one of a kind athlete.

Also, confirming that she does have a bizarrely devoted fanbase.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

A lot of people like invincible monster fighters, it's not really a surprise.

They're usually better fighters, though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

That would be nice, but I'd rather see them strike up a deal that lets them end geoblocking for TV cards on fight pass.

This lead to the ridiculous scenario of a card in Australia being blocked in Australia for the first 48 hours or something. And it was that really fun one where everybody got finished and Louis Smolka won via "Half-Circle Forward+HK"

They seem to have relaxed it a little bit recently, though.

Memento posted:

That's kind of a tune-up fight for Carlos.

Unless he's as done as some people seem to think.

edit: Oh man I fuckin' love finances and buyrates chat, let's do that for the next seventeen pages

:suicide:

This should be a fun fight. Magny's game and tough, and I honestly don't think Condit has ever been in a bad fight.

Even the Diaz fight provoked many thousands of words from angry Nick Diaz fans.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I thought that fight was good on its own merits anyway. Carlos wasn't landing 'human being punches' (as Mario Sperry would say), and he clearly knew exactly how to frustrate Nick. Clinical, except for going to the ground briefly later on (and I don't believe Carlos was in any danger of being finished).

Oh yeah, it was actually a pretty good fight on its own. Even if that wasn't one's thing, though, the many, many angry posts were hilarious. Essentially, a bunch of people who love a fighter because he rarely goes to decision (I mean, he does, but their image of him does not) were trying to explain how he won a decision. It was great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

You can argue he ducked TJ if you like but he specifically asked for Cody and was told no you're fighting Ray Borg before Cody got injured and the TJ situation came up.

And the only reason not to believe this is if one did something weird like suddenly decide to trust Dana White.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't have a problem with any fighter having an assessment of what they are worth and only agreeing to fight for that, in fact I think that's a good principle. In Uncle Creepy's case though I think that number is unrealistic for where he is at in his career with the UFC and it is even less realistic to think he is worth that in any b league.

If it was right after the mighty mouse fights, when he actually looked kinda like a top tier fighter, yeah, sure. But we've have a few years to see his ceiling, and it was a lot lower than we thought.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Even as weak as 125 could be said to be (it's tricky for any division with nothing on one side of it) I'm still thinking there hasn't been anything a title challenger as weak as Nate Marquardt, or Thales Leites. Or any perfomances as flat out bizarre as the Damien Maia and Patrick Cote fights. It's sort of weird, the highs of Silva's run (the last second triangle, the seemingly effortless despatching of Okami and Belfort) are so good it's easy to forget the lows.

It's also that someone like Jones benefits from having a whole bunch of former champs to fight, guys who made their own names and had their own runs before he showed up. Makes his accomplishments seem much more impressive. Miocic is kind of enjoying the same thing. Whereas the whole division has come up in Mighty Mouse's shadow.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Not sure how you can definitely say that RDA would whoop Conor or even beat him

They've both got common opponents, fairly recent ones, that one has beaten effortlessly and the other has decisively lost to. So, that's how.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Yeah I think it would be a cool matchup. I wouldn't count either guy out. Conor is good at getting up but if RDA got him down I think he could keep him there

Is Conor good at getting up? What are we basing that on? It can't be the Diaz fights. I guess you could count the Mendez fight, but I don't know why you would.

CarlCX posted:

The most indicative thing you can say about Cain as a fighter is dude's a two-time heavyweight champion with two defenses who knocked out everyone he beat except Kongo, lost twice to champions and avenged one of those losses so brutally everyone forgot it happened, and the general impression of his career is still one of tragically wasted potential.

It's kind of the same narrative as Shogun or Penn. Great career, but what could have been, if only X.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Eddie Alvarez? Christ you are dumb.

Eddie Alvarez and Nate Diaz. You don't even have to watch fights, you could just go off Wikipedia. RDA easily trounced Nate, nearly TKOing him with leg kicks, while Conor struggled with him. Conversely, Conor beat Alvarez about as thoroughly and brutally as anyone has beaten anyone, while RDA got clipped by Eddie and finished early on. Just to make it even more annoying, both guys have extenuating circumstances for the loss. Conor had a late change of opponent (despite his bullshit about not specifically preparing for people, he absolutely does) and RDA hosed up his weight cut.

It's a fight that'll never happen because a thousand people will parrot 'he hurt his foot and pulled out'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

vainman posted:

Unless the only metric you count for a good career is number of loses, I don't know what could have been better for Penn and shogun

For Penn, sticking around at lightweight a bit longer, not kidding himself about being a welterweight. Maybe dropping down. For Shogun, not completely falling apart before he was 30. Remember his rematch with Marc Coleman, where he managed to gas out worse than a man nearly 20 years older than him? I mean, there probably isn't a universe where he beats Jon Jones, but there's definitely one where he beats OSP.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Who would BJ Penn have fought at lightweight (lol featherweight) in the UFC between 2004 and 2007?

I was thinking around 2010. I know why he left when he did. After Edgar, he went up to Welterweight and has not won a fight since. If he sticks around at lightweight then, he's got the WEC newcomers and eventually the Strikeforce ones. poo poo, he could have just had some fun running through middle of the packers.

I mean, I know he wouldn't, because part of what made him interesting is that he loved throwing himself at big challenges.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

That would have been cool but the what if is more the UFC investing in a 155 division in the Dark Ages. Penn beating Pulver and Uno early in his career would have made that more likely but still not that likely. Without a strong 155 division full of contenders BJ will get bored and fat.

That's not really fair, he got pretty fat even when there were contenders.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Not sure what having fights with Clay Guida or whatever would have done for his legacy or why you think he'd do better at featherweight in 2012 than he did in 2014.

I'm not sure what you think the last few (seven) years have done for his legacy, or why beating Maynard, Cerrone, Pettis, Grant or any of the other excellent lightweights that were in the UFC circa 2010-11 would have been worse.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

You're confusing "how could his career have been better" with "what if he'd been in his prime forever"

I'm really not. I'm wondering what Shogun could have been if his knees didn't dissolve before he was 30. For Shogun it was just a bunch of bad luck regarding injuries, long recovery, and the bad effect that had on his training and thus career. That's not 'passing his physical prime' that's just him dissolving very young. I mean, I'm thirty. I'm past my physical prime, yet I can stand up from a couch unassisted and I haven't had half a dozen major surgeries to my joints.

Their careers didn't flounder for the same reason. for Penn it was his personality, where he had enormous trouble getting motivated and had to be tricked into realising his potential. Spending ill advised time at Welter and getting the poo poo kicked out of him by six footers like Diaz and Rory (who beat him in 2012, a period you thought he did okay in) can't have helped. I mean, Penn came in worse for the second Frankie fight. He doesn't seem to respond to adversity well.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

fighting and being a beast ages you much faster than whatever the gently caress it is you're clowning around with

Yes, I am aware. But most fighters, even professional ones, have not had the absurd number of major surgeries and injuries Shogun has had. To put it in perspective, Jones and Gus are both older now than Shogun was when he fought Hendo the first time, and neither is a shambling wreck that's had half a dozen major surgeries. It's weird that I'm having to actually spell this out.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Like five guys and two women have ever completely dominated their division, so there's no shame in falling short of that. And it's impossible to be on top forever.

Oh yeah, absolutely. And Jones smashes even alternate universe non-injured Shogun. But remember that there's a four year gap between Shogun's inauspicious UFC debut and his fight with Jones, and Shogun spent a huge amount of that sidelined with injuries.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

freud mayweather posted:

to be fair bisping didn't have to cheat to beat rivera. he did it to defend his wife's honor and because it was very cool.

He was losing until he cheated, so you're probably wrong.

Byolante posted:

Being a professional brain trauma inducer is ok but saying a bad word isn't. Professional fighters are not role models and should not be expected to behave like them.

This defence is fundamentally stupid (yes, there are standards for people even if they hit people for a living) but it doesn't even apply to Bisping, who has possibly the thinnest skin of any UFC fighter.

Skip My Posts posted:

he's improved a lot over the course of his career and is a smart fighter

His career has been 720 years of mediocrity and included getting decisively outboxed by Matt Hamill, so it wouldn't be hard to improve.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

gently caress OFF

Punching someone in the face is objectively worse than calling someone a fag. Go away please

What about calling someone a fag while punching them in the face? Which is what's actually being discussed.

Captain Log posted:

Jesus, are you a mech?

Follow up to the reach thing - what point would a single arm be measured from? It could just be me, but I swear reach didn’t mean wingspan when I was watching boxing in the eighties and nineties.

I'm pretty sure that's why they do it fingertip to fingertip, because otherwise, the exact line between 'shoulder' and 'arm' would be pretty subjective.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Problem with Jones is even if he's cleared you just know he's going to pop the next time again to be cleared again. You can't have faith in "THIS TIME IT WILL BE OK"

Especially as he gets older and the steroids become more enticing and necessary.

Gay Horney posted:

Kicking someone in the head is a lot more recklessly endangering than maybe getting them with a little germs

Germs have killed something like 90% of the people that have ever died. Headkicks do not account for the other 10

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

old.flv posted:

Wanderlei did it to Bisping

That was Jardine. And Rogan called it a rape choke. He then sheepishly apologised for calling it a rape choke.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

I don't like watching Kowalkiewicz.

Her fight with Inoue way back in Invicta is a really good fight with the worst loving crowd I've ever heard. It was in Iowa rather than Invicta's usual home of Missouri, and the crowd sat there is sullen, disinterested silence for the entire card. It was loving weird.

So, like, watch it, but have a small crowd in the room for ambience.

Thugrose has been kind of frustrating to watch and be a fan of. The talent is all there, as is the athletic ability, but gently caress she's a headcase and has a tendency to fight like a kid pressing all the buttons to see if they can get something to happen. The second Torres fight is a really good example, as she spend 15 minutes completely failing to capitalise on any of her numerous advantages over Tecia.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
We have a new housemate and we've been getting him into the UFC. As part of that, we've rewatched all of Cody's fights. At first, I noticed his toughness and power, but the thing that has really developed is how accurate he is. In the middle of a wild exchange with Almeida, he found his chin exactly.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Bisping has absolutely nothing for anyone in the top 5.

FTFY. I know the last year or so has been misleading, so let's remember that Bisping managed to fight in the UFC for just shy of 10 years before doing anything of note. And the things he did do have asterixes on them.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i think whittaker bisping could be a good fight. bisping will have the size advantage and i could see it being a close decision.

He'll have a height advantage, but Whittaker is thick in the torso. He's a loving solid and really strong fighter.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rigel posted:

Honestly though, with his long history with the UFC, he probably deserves a couple paydays before he has to face the monsters of MW again.

He's had ten years of being a thoroughly mediocre, extremely well paid fighter.

Bundt Cake posted:

robert whittaker looks like he will beat up mike bisping

At this point, there's very few people at Middleweight I'd actually favour over Whittaker. He's loving quick and has excellent finishing instincts. He can also close distance really fast.

Marching Powder posted:

bisping's meteoric rise began with usada testing. either that or anderson got old, rockhold's standup is so simplistic it could be exploited by david branch, and hendo got even older while bisping stayed exactly the same. whichever.

It's the second thing. As evidenced by Bisping managing to almost lose to Henderson the exact same way he did the first time. Twice. Except that Hendo hits a bit less hard in his late 40s than he did in his mid 30s

Noctone posted:

Sometimes I feel like this thread has a weird penchant for ardently arguing why [guy who is a champion] is Actually Not All That Good and Would Totally Get Owned by [guy who is not a champion]

There was a time when Tim Sylvia champion and Junior Dos Santos was not. Yet, I doubt there was ever a time when Sylvia could have reliably beat Junior Dos Santos

Marching Powder posted:

bisping is a way better technical striker than anyone whittaker has made look stupid except maybe for uriah hall who has his own set of problems. i said it when the fight might happen but if they fought i see it going to a close split decision.

Bisping is a technical striker in the sense that he knows what a jab is.

• Locked thread