Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Problem description: My HTPC that I’ve been running without incident for years suddenly wouldn’t power up. The power would flicker, then stop. I thought it might be the power supply, but after replacing that I found it had similar problems. With the new PSU, I still get the “flicker-then-nothing” result with the 4-pin power supply connector (jpwr2?), but when I remove the 4-pin connector the power remains consistent (the LEDs and fans all activate and are steady) but I don’t get any of the POST beeps and there’s no video from the on-board VGA.

Attempted fixes: I have tried replacing the power supply then unhooking all cards and memory modules to slowly add components back to see what was causing the error. No POST response.

Recent changes: I swapped out the the PSU, but I did that after the problem started happening.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit

System specs: A Frankenstein’s Monster of a desktop PC using an MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 motherboard, a 450w power supply, Radeon 7570 1gb graphics card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, some

--

Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions? Could it be something wrong with the jpwr2 connection, and if so would that pretty much mean the end of the motherboard? I'm about ready to scrap the system and incorporate the hard drives and graphics card into a new one but it'd be a waste not to at least try and get this up and running.

I'd really appreciate any and all assistance on this one.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What model old/new PSUs were you using?

An aging/degraded PSU and an underpowered PSU could both exhibit that kind of behavior.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Zogo posted:

What model old/new PSUs were you using?

An aging/degraded PSU and an underpowered PSU could both exhibit that kind of behavior.

Thanks, Zogo! The old PSU is a pretty generic "ATX Total Output (?)" 400w power supply. It was plenty powerful for several years then suddenly it just stopped working right. Would flick on and the fan wouldn't even finish one rotation- it'd just stop.

The one I traded it out for is a new Apevia Venus (ATX-VS450W) 450w power supply.

A friend of mine suggested that it could be some capacitors by the 4-pin connector. I checked some of the capacitors around the CPU and the JPWR2 connector and saw... something?

I'm not sure if I know what I'm looking at, but the two capacitors in the upper right look like they have some kind of weird amber coloration on them. They also appear to be a BIT convex, but not terribly so. Could that have anything to do with it?

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
not sure if it's the lighting but all the caps on the right look like they're bulging/about to leak except the last one at the bottom of the pic

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Jello Robot posted:

not sure if it's the lighting but all the caps on the right look like they're bulging/about to leak except the last one at the bottom of the pic

If that's the case, does that mean the motherboard is pretty much FUBAR?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FuriousAngle posted:

The one I traded it out for is a new Apevia Venus (ATX-VS450W) 450w power supply.

That PSU doesn't have the best reviews. If you want to pursue it further I'd spend more $$$ on a better one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

FuriousAngle posted:

A friend of mine suggested that it could be some capacitors by the 4-pin connector. I checked some of the capacitors around the CPU and the JPWR2 connector and saw... something?

I'm not sure if I know what I'm looking at, but the two capacitors in the upper right look like they have some kind of weird amber coloration on them. They also appear to be a BIT convex, but not terribly so. Could that have anything to do with it?

Bulging capacitors are never a good sign. A lot of hardware will work under those conditions but that could be the cause of some issues also.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 2, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Zogo posted:

That PSU doesn't have the best reviews. If you want to pursue it further I'd spend more $$$ on a better one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

Bulging capacitors are never a good sign. A lot of hardware will work under those conditions but that could be the cause of some issues also.

Thanks! I may just return the PSU. If my motherboard is shot, I'm not entirely sure I want to bother with the rest of it. It might be almost as expensive in the long run to replace the motherboard and buy a better PSU than to just go with a new computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah, unfortunately that computer is dead. Given its age it had a surprisingly good run!

• Locked thread