Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

R.D. Mangles posted:

I feel bad for the Washington Nationals, trying to get past their history of fading in the playoffs, one might say a "curse" against the chill, relaxed, nothing bad could happen Cubs.
lol

IcePhoenix posted:

gently caress the Yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Pancakes posted:

I was a Cardinals fan living in Providence in 2004. Literally saw Red Sox fans burning Pujols in effigy. I’m also a decently big, perpetually sober guy who keeps getting challenged to fights by drunk Cubs fans. I really think winning when your fandom’s identity is built around perpetual loss breaks something in a lot of people’s brains.

Confirmed for a broken brain

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

This whole Strasburg thing--from the changing story to the incorrect bullpen session information to the weak mold sickness excuse--smacks of Baker (and I guess also Strasburg) covering for a front office decision

Last night on TSN (Toronto Sports Network) they reported that Strasburg was under the weather from running a half marathon a few days ago? That can't be right though it's the postseason who would do that? I mean Uwe Kruppe at least waited to the off season to go dog sledding with his serious injury

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Your Taint posted:

I wouldn't sweat it. You guys will clinch in Chicago. We can't hit this postseason to save our lives. All we can score are chaos runs.

Hail Satan

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Chexoid posted:

Please get the Pudge That Was Promised to the big leagues as soon as possible.

https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/919382711139258368

A thing his father was hilariously horrendous at when with the Expos--baserunning

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hopefully they'll get released like the NY Times Cubs one did

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/795237739826450432/photo/1

lol owned

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

CAMP NG WORLD

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kirios posted:

Cubs fans sure turned on Maddon quickly after winning them their first World Series in over 100 years.

Pretty sure SAS Cubs fans were on his management decisions throughout the playoffs and World Series last year.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

When I lived on the West Coast, I hated never being home from work in time for the start of Monday Night Football.

Counterpoint: watching it at lunch in Hawaii

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Seriously though, Mountain time best time. East coast games start at 5, West coast games end around 10:30. Wall to wall sports.

And skiing.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Old checking in to say I've seen Kirk Gibson win two World Series

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

bawfuls posted:

meet me in Temecula

ARE WE GOING TO GO WINE TOURING?!?!??!?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's going to be Dodgers/Yankees and I could not even pretend to care less about that matchup. Just abolish baseball after this season.

Goddamn that is easy.

Go Dodgers! gently caress the DH!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sydin posted:

I know, and even ignoring the fact that I actually do like the Dodgers a lot this year I'll probably be over getting swept in like a day. It just sucks for it to flame out so completely and utterly, the games aren't even enjoyable to watch at this point. It's just the Cubs making GBS threads themselves for three games in a row now. :smith:

yabut we made the NLCS again.

We're there, we're competitive, we'll be back

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Popete posted:

This is primarily what I'm attributing the NLCS melt down too. The Cubs as a whole seem fatigued, the pitching even more so from the NLDS. But even guys like Rizzo/Bryant aren't really doing much at the plate and I think it has to do with deep runs 3 years in a row.

Dodgers pitching is very good, but it's not like the Cubs haven't seen it before and can't hit against them.

:colbert:

I am expecting many more long postseason runs out of them so they'd better be considering these as reps to get swole

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/920827517832966145

I feel real deal proud of these Yankees, it's a really weird feeling to have about a sports team.

They are a really fun bunch to watch.

Shame about the uniform.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Popete posted:

That was such an insane call. I'm still mad even though it ended up not really mattering.

I can't even

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Swinging at an HBP is always a strike isnt it?

I remember a time in little league when a pitch was coming for my head and I dropped to avoid it, but the ball managed to hit the bat still on my shoulder, where my head had been, in the batters box, and went fair. Catcher got it and tagged me out. The injustice of that event made me realize there was no god, and made me a night time crusader for law, justice, and the American Way.

Kind of hard to take when you are 12 but vOv

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:rip: Dusty

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sydin posted:

From what I'm reading it looks like the Cubs are looking at Jim Hickey to replace Bosio. Hickey was Maddon's pitching coach when he was in Tampa, so maybe Maddon wanted him? There aren't many details out and AFAIK the Cubs haven't even put out an official statement yet.

Sucks though. All that walking to the mound on a bad foot :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bird in a Blender posted:

Kind of funny how perfectly inversed Chicago is. The north side is mostly 50% Cubs/30% White Sox. South Side is 50% White Sox/30% Cubs, and then the Yankees always pulling 3-5%. loving Yankees.

Part of the 7% of Cubs fans from Grand Rapids, MI. Just ahead of the 6% the Yankees apparently pull.

Growing up I could have sworn there were more Cubs fans than that

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

HOT TAKES TIME: Pulling Hill after the 4th 100% lost this game and was done for really, really poorly thought out reasons. Yeah he wasn't throwing a no hitter but he was only at ~60 pitches and doing just fine. At the very least, let him go out there and wait until someone gets into scoring position to put Maeda in.

They pulled him solely because of ~3rd time through the order~ combined with the fact that several righties were coming up in a row. The Dodgers extreme obsession with making decisions based on platoon advantage is completely insane and needs to end yesterday. You have to trust your starters to be able to get outs against dudes who eat their cereal with the opposite hand, you just do.

Also, the Dodgers bullpen really isn't as deep as everyone has been talking about, it's really just Morrow, Maeda, and Jansen. Micromanaging the bullpen/matchups isn't giving them as much of an advantage as they seem to think it is.

At least tomorrow is a day off so the bullpen should be ready to go for game 3, but if Houston hadn't ended it in the 11th, pulling Hill early could have not only lost the game but ruined the rotation depth advantage for the entire series. It's a decision that ranks right up there with leaving Britton on the bench.

Goddamn this is no time to talk about baseball

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Playoff baseball is a beautiful heartbreak.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

That was some good baseball and excellent baseball postin last night

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Timby posted:

A little plastic Cubs hat from when Dairy Queen would put sundaes in them back in the early '90s.

Same but from the 70s and a Howard Johnson restaurant.

I also have an early 80s era Cubs hat with the mesh back half somewhere at my parents. My oldest I have on hand is a University of Michigan hat from the mid 90s.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Intruder posted:

I just want to point out that this Kershaw vs Keuchel showdown ended up:

12 14 1
13 14 1

pitchers duel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014