Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore/Fehr-Brown

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rielly-Hainsey
Borgman/Rosen-Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

Defence still questionable, and I'd love to see some of those forward spots freed up for some guys that are off to the Marlies, but there are worse problems to have. Biggest drain on this team as it currently stands is probably gonna be McBackup.

Sparks and Rychel are the only notables on waivers and honestly neither are any good so power to them if they get picked up. Liljegren's probably going to the Marlies and I'd put the edge to Borgman being in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

Martin is a bigger drain on the team because that spot could go to a deserving talent waiting on the Marlies. I think McBackup could be fairly serviceable. He has his moments where he does well, he's just awkward as gently caress and yea when he's off he's really bad. I know he's not great but I think he'll be an okay backup compared to all the trouble they've had in that position in the past. His last pre-season game was really good.

McElhinney is historically a terrible goalie, and he'll be 35 this season. There's every reason to believe his start last year was an anomaly and that he'll only get worse.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Remember when it was a big deal that the Leafs didn't get Pouliot in the Kessel deal?

As much as Kapanen's ceiling appears to be "Michael Grabner minus the good years" he still looks like a real NHLer. Too bad somebody's gonna have to die for him to get any playing time this year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jack Eichel's really good y'all, if current-era Toews is worth $10M so is he.

The Sabres though... I dunno

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

toews isn't worth 10m these days. if eichel is as good as toews was in his 2008-2015 seasons to get that 10m now, this gonna be a good rear end deal folks. the one after that for jack, probably not going to be so good

At a certain level contract amounts are as much about status/team value than actual, when it's your franchise guy. I'm just saying most teams would still take Johnny and Eichel's certainly as worthwhile.

I dunno maybe I'm higher on the guy than most but I think that's a reasonable figure for him in a $70M+ cap world.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Nobody talked about how Ray Emery is a probably piece of poo poo?

Dissapointed, I loved his game and how he fought back to keep playing with his bone disease. Not shocked mind you.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2737017-report-ray-emery-arrested-in-sept-for-assaulting-keshia-chante-with-weapon

Sad but not the most surprising thing, my friends from Ottawa had some stories to tell about him around town and none of them were complimentary.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Late on this but I like the Pickard move. Good insurance for when McElhinney inevitably proves that he sucks and Sparks/Kaskisuo aren't ever gonna be backup quality in the NHL.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Thorburn actually kind of sucks at fighting as well as everything else

I think guys like Thorburn and Martin keep players in check because your average goon doesn't want to go through the trouble of boarding somebody and then having to beat the poo poo out of some hapless make-a-wish player too.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

[quote="“grack”" post="“477150067”"]
I’m fairly sure a player like Roussel or Clutterbuck doesn’t think before they go out and try to murder someone.
[/quote]

I was being facetious, but yeah.

What bothers me most is that kind of play and those roles are slowly working their way out of the league but AHLers still see it as a viable way into a call-up, so a theoretical development league is full of goons being reckless for no reason.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs are gonna score 600 goals this year and they'll need every single one of them to get a playoff spot.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

the Uber of sportswriting is genuinely starting to piss me off.

I mean, sports writers and their editors/departments being laid off in droves is what gave The Athletic the manpower to start in the first place. The traditional mediums sports journalism are distributed through have been known to be failing for years, and the Athletic actually pays its employees, so absolutely nothing about that comparison fits.

I completely understand skepticism of their model and runway, and I don't love the entirety of the output so far, but we should want our favourite writers to get paid and succeed under a model where they can produce their best work and that's what the Athletic is trying to do.

It's easy to trick ourselves into thinking the forced labour camps of SBNation or the mostly unpaid spec work of indy blogs/twitter journalism will last forever but there's a real human cost to that stuff.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

St. Dogbert posted:

I'm not sure what this says about the Leafs, the Marlies, or the AHL - but I'm watching the Marlies game on Leafs TV, and every ad I've seen has been for some quack's phony medical device.

Inversion therapy!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

It looks like the Habs could use some veteran d. Please take one (1) Stanley Cup winner Ron Hainsey to help you on your troubles. Please.

Man, there wasn't even a honeymoon period with that guy before he started sucking out of control.

I still don't miss Hunwick though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

[quote="“i am the bird”" post="“477292449”"]
Gonna run outta numbers quickly if we start honoring mass shooting victims.
[/quote]

I didn't want to say it but I was sure thinking it

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs have basically been tripping over themselves all game. Devils are very fast though

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

also the Leafs put up 50 SOG tonight so I'm just gonna leave this here for my old nemesis Cory Schneider: :argh:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

bub spank posted:

Through 5 games without Karlsson, Ottawa's managed to go 3-0-2, but they've done it with league-worst 42% even-strength possession.

I don't know if Boucher's "system" somehow leads to wins while they get caved in all night, or if last year (and the first 5 this year) are just weird luck, but I don't think I like it.

I mean, the last two teams in recent memory to get caved in every night but claim their “system” just gave them the appearance of looking bad are the Carlyle Leafs and the Roy Avalanche and uh... it’s not good company to keep.

The Sens always bullshit their way through lean times somehow though so I’m not surprised.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Goddamn it Lou you senile old bastard. Just stroke out and retire already.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs added another guy to their analytics team, which is apparently a hilarious waste of money considering that they also just signed Roman Polak.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/Steve_Dangle/status/922478339507580929

The problems are real but the solution... I am not so sure that this is the solution. At the very least it will take some load off of Hainsey and Zaitsev.

Honestly it’s not like Carrick/Rosen/Borgman have been demonstrably better anyway, it’s basically a stylistic choice that I don’t think really affects the team all that much. If it gets Babs to stop going crazy with his distributions then all power to them. I just really didn’t want to have to see that guy in a Leafs jersey again.

It’s definitely more of an indictment of Lou’s inability to get anything more significant added to the back-end in the off-season that we’re now resorting to broken retreads.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric Fehr has lost the battle for 4th line centre and been waived, so that’s good news at least.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

It seems like a lot of the smarter Leafs fans would still rather have a bad rookie than a bad vet because the rookie could still develop into something better. While that's still a good general principle, this season's forward group is historically good (for the franchise). Our prospects aren't going to make up for the loss of JVR/Bozak next season and I think that it does make sense to go for the tiny, short-term upgrade of current Polak vs. current Borgman/Rosen/Marincin rather than banking on improvements that may or may not happen over the course of the season. Polak is also a lock to get injured at some point during the season so it's not like the other guys won't have a chance to get back in the lineup when they're ready.

Yeah, end of the day if Babs isn’t going to play anybody and mess around with deployment you might as well give the young guys AHL time (and Rosen needed it regardless). At a certain point this team’s gotta be built so the coach will play them, and it’s hard to argue too much with the approach this year in particular.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Martin and JVR are both out tonight with injury and I’m actually really stoked for these lines:

Hyman- Matthews - Nylander
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
Leivo - Moore - Kapanen

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

The flyers won, that's good!

Komarov killed Ghost. That's bad.

Komarov sucks this year (more so, anyway) and I'm beginning to look forward to his contract expiring.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

That said, I also agree with this:

https://twitter.com/PuckDontLie/status/916453358659129344

Come at me LAS

Seems reasonable, if Marner can’t fight his way back up the lineup/Bozak line continues to be terrible at ES he’s not gonna build on last year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

how did a straw help that

Something to do with minimizing air that entered his stomach via swallowing iirc

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Roman Polak is skating as an extra at practice again and I’m so happy

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

What about Matt Martin?

Or is that too much to ask?

Babcock will do anything to win, except ever scratching Martin for any reason ever. I think if he was ever injured Babs would just call the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

... He didn't play two games ago.

I can't be that happy about scratching Polak because now we're just back to where we were at the beginning of the season. Having said that, Polak would have been great 20 years ago when defensemen could just mug anyone.

Oh right I forgot because I’ve already purged the memory of that game from my mind

Also the Leafs were legit better by every metric when they started the season before Babs started messing with poo poo, so

Except for Andersen who’s back on his mediocre bullshit

• Locked thread