Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

pre:
"Now and then we had a hope, that if we lived and we were good, god would permit us to be pirates."

- Mark Twain

You came from a small village out in the wild country. You don’t remember its name; it had some distinctive landmark, and the one who founded it tried to be witty. There was a road in the plaza that led to a bigger city; you never visited it. Sometimes in the plaza you see people pass by with coin or goods. But those times were few. Your parents put you to work. Usually, you spent your time with your large family. Either you tended to farmlands, or tried to make ends meet through odd jobs. You did your best and through the work you learned a lot.

What’s your name?

What things did you learn as a child? (Pick three)

a) Combat
b) Navigation
c) Religion/Esoterica
d) Trading
e) Medicine
f) Fishing
g) Linguistics
h) Hunting/Foraging
i) Cookery
j) Construction
k) Write-in

As a child you thought the village was your entire world. No matter where you went you could hear your mother calling for you. And if mother didn’t start yelling for you, the older villagers chased you down. It wasn’t fair as the adults told tales of people, creatures, and places just beyond the horizon. Over time, you caught on that they focused on ceremonies and happenings near a building with a holy man. You learned then that your family was religious and tried their best to pass along their faith. And not all the people who told stories about the happenings outside the village actually saw them...

What religion did you grow up in?

I) Catholic
II) Protestant
III) Jewish
IV) Write-in

How much did you care?

i) Deeply
II) Somewhat
iii) Not at all

Do you believe in magic, myths and old wives’ tales?

Y) Yes
N) No

The religion wasn’t the only thing you learned. The people would mention other villages, and places that seem crammed full of people. It didn’t take long for you to realize the world was much bigger than you thought. Even if they seemed about as well-traveled as you were. People spoke one name with particular importance, as if it were their entire world. And yours.

Where were you and this village?

a) England
b) France
c) Spain
d) Portugal
e) Holland
f) China???
g) Write-in

As you grew up village life bored you. The same stories played out over and over with a lording tone. And making ends meet was easier said than done. The rest of your family felt content with their lot in life, but not you. You pushed your adventures further and further to the outskirts. Sometimes you’d talk another child your age into joining you, but those times were few. Your childhood curiosity would've kept you there for longer had a certain thing not happened.

What happened in your village?

h) A traveller from abroad stayed in your village for a night. He left you with a handful of a strange spice, and stories of lands and people you’ve never even heard of.
i) You saw a world map the village historian kept. He would tell happenings that involved this village and the far off lands the map showed.
j) Your father went sailing and never came back. People think he’s dead but you never gave up hope that he’s alive somewhere.
k) Strange men and women passed by your village one day. They looked nothing at all like the villagers and muttered in a language that made no sense.
l) You were kidnapped by bandits. They shipped you somewhere far south and by the time you escaped, you were in a strange land unfamiliar to you
m) You had dreams of people and places unknown to you. Eventually they drove you to find their meaning.
n) Write in

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to A Pirates’ CYOA for Me. We’ll be looking into the lifetime and adventures of some rogue just before the Golden Age of Piracy. The New World is open to Europe, and little by little the other nations are ready to stick a flag in whatever they find first. This can be as realistic and accurate with the times as possible. Or something that’d be like the union of PotC and Monkey Island with monsters, curses, and all manner of the otherworldly. Either way we’re in for a treat. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Woo, pirates!

I'd definitely like some fantastical poo poo but I'm good either way.

1: a, b, f

2: IV our mother was raised (quietly) with the old religion and she passed on her beliefs to us.

3: II somewhat

4: Yes we believe

5: a

6: m

edit: Whoops, missed the name question.

Bastard Jack Rutherford, also Jack the Bastard.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 4, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

What’s your name?

Helena Engel.

Navigation, Religion, Medicine.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

How much did you care?

Catholic; Deeply; Yes.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Germany.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

A traveller from abroad stayed in your village for a night. He left you with a handful of a strange spice, and stories of lands and people you’ve never even heard of.

This looks like fun! :dance:

Hexenritter posted:

Woo, pirates!

I'd definitely like some fantastical poo poo but I'm good either way.

Bless it Hex, ya beat me to it again! :)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Bless it Hex, ya beat me to it again! :)

why hello there. Fancy meeting you here :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

why hello there. Fancy meeting you here :v:

Oh Hai! :sparkles:

I swear, if you mess this up for me and I don't get to become Pirate King in the New World, leading the fight against the Dutch West India company.

:redass:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Oh Hai! :sparkles:

I swear, if you mess this up for me and I don't get to become Pirate King in the New World, leading the fight against the Dutch West India company.

:redass:

An old-gods-savvy, punchy Briton with a bastardly name should make pirate king in no time :D

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

An old-gods-savvy, punchy Briton with a bastardly name should make pirate king in no time :D
A God Fearing German Catholic Pirate Queen who controls all sugar production west of Port Royal.

FIFY

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

lol women in power lol

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We are Qin Hanying, Pirate Queen of the Orient. We're good at navigation, linguistics, and trading. Deeply spiritual. Our husband went to sea and was captured by pirates. We couldn't afford the ransom, so they killed him. We took his spare sword, passed as a man, and made our own justice.

That was 10 years ago. Who knows how the hell we ended up in the Caribbean, but the important thing is that we're here and we're gonna build ourselves a goddamn empire.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 4, 2017

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

b) Navigation
d) Trading
g) Linguistics

iv)Islam

How much did you care?
II) Somewhat

Y)Yes

g)What was in the 1500s, Sus. Which is in North Africa. Perhaps you can see where this is going in a moment! Today, that is southern Morroco, near the coast of course.

j) Your father went sailing and never came back.
Our father was a ship's navigator, a relatively educated man insofar as setting/campaign appropriately he could be. Much of which rubbed off onto us as well.

We are.....

Salam ibn Naftali, a motherfuckin BARBARY PIRATE!(*)

(*)Or not. Because we don't know the year so they may not exist yet. But there is a long tradition of corsairs and pirates coming from that region. So if we are not, we are still a north African pirate! And if that is too weird and out there for the GM, we can eventually end up on a European ship and simply start our lives in north Africa! And if not, since most people don't know a lot about the barbary pirates the GM can make up whatever details he wants without being called on it for being historically inaccurate!

__==++//BARBARY FACTS\\++==__
Thank you for subscribing to BARBARY FACTS! Did you know that one of the first treaties ever signed by the brand new nation of the United States was called the Barbary Treaty?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 4, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

We are Ching Shih, Pirate Queen of the Orient. We're good at navigation, linguistics, and trading. Deeply spiritual. Our husband went to sea and was captured by pirates. We couldn't afford the ransom, so they killed him. We took his spare sword, passed as a man, and made our own justice.

That was 10 years ago. Who knows how the hell we ended up in the Caribbean, but the important thing is that we're here and we're gonna build ourselves a goddamn empire.

Prometheus Cycle prequel? :v:

Diogines posted:

Salam ibn Naftali, a motherfuckin BARBARY PIRATE!(*)

Holy poo poo, Diog out of nowhere with a fantastic idea.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I'm loving the picks you guys have so far. I'll chime in with some details, and if anybody has questions or wants to correct any historical errors, please let me know by PM or on discord; I'm AnonymousIdiot.

Diogines posted:

Because we don't know the year so they may not exist yet. But there is a long tradition of corsairs and pirates coming from that region. So if we are not, we are still a north African pirate! And if that is too weird and out there for the GM, we can end up on a European ship and simply start our lives in north Africa! And if not, since most people don't know a lot about them the GM can make up whatever details he wants without being called on it for being historically inaccurate!

No, this is fine. I encourage creativity in this. It's why I put in China as an option. :D

As for setting, we're looking at the mid to late 1500's; about the time when the rest of Europe was sending ships to explore the New World. France and England have sent ships, and the rest of Europe is following suit. China isn't quite as out there as it's been over a century since China has sent ships out to explore and establish trade routes and tributaries in the Indian Ocean. .

Hexenritter posted:

2: IV our mother was raised (quietly) with the old religion and she passed on her beliefs to us.

When you say this, do you mean Celtic Paganism, animism, the Fey, the whole nine yards?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Crazycryodude posted:

We are Ching Shih, Pirate Queen of the Orient. We're good at navigation, linguistics, and trading. Deeply spiritual. Our husband went to sea and was captured by pirates. We couldn't afford the ransom, so they killed him. We took his spare sword, passed as a man, and made our own justice.

Hells yeah

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Giys Zilbermint's - Captain Goose

His patient Father taught him TRADING
His caring Mother taught him COOKERY
His violent captors taught him CONSTRUCTION

A life of hard luck has diminished his belief in the JEWISH faith. He trusts that God has the best intentions for his life, and looks out for the lives of good people NOT AT ALL. Although, YES, he believes in ghosts and mermaids and most of the tales of the sea.

He was born in a small town in HOLLAND. He stayed there until shortly after his twelfth birthday before he was KIDNAPPED BY BANDITS. He studied with pirates after that as slave labor, mending ship. One day he got involved in the right mutiny and ended up with a respectable position on a pirate ship. He's been on the rise ever since.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

What's your name?
We are Beatriz Verdugo, Black Jewess of Algiers, Barbary Corsair.

c) Religion/Esoterica
d) Trading
g) Linguistics

III) Jewish
Her family officially converted, but secretly kept to their traditions: The so-called marranos, the secret jews of Iberia.

How much did you care?

iii) Not at all
She had precious little patience for it as a child. Ironically, it was the greed of the Inquisition that returned Beatriz to her faith, when she had nothing else left.

Do you believe in magic, myths and old wives' tales?

Y) Yes
Always willing to hear her old uncle's Kabballistic ramblings, even if she found her parents' orthodoxy staid. If only young Beatriz could have summoned a clay defender to protect her family, like the Rabbi in his tales...

d) Portugal

n) The Inquisition happened. Driven from her home, her family torn apart, her birthright plundered. Finding herself at loose ends in an Ottoman port, she turned to her faith, her cunning, her ready ear for languages, and an unexpected bootknife, eventually gaining the attention of Oruç Reis, bey of Algiers, brother of famed Ottoman admiral Barbarossa. Assembling a motley assortment of rogues, fellow marranos, and Maghreb buccaneers, she christened her vessel Queen Esther, and resolved to extract in blood what the Crown owed her and her people.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

When you say this, do you mean Celtic Paganism, animism, the Fey, the whole nine yards?

Yeah, the whole nine yards. Looks like the thread's headed in a far different direction though. Regardless, it is going to be fun.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Diogines posted:

Thank you for subscribing to BARBARY FACTS! Did you know that one of the first treaties ever signed by the brand new nation of the United States was called the Barbary Treaty?

The United States have a long history with the Barbary Coast, just ask the Marine Corp. Although, we may be a hundred years or so early for that facet of history, depending which book you want to reference.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

China isn't quite as out there as it's been over a century since China has sent ships out to explore and establish trade routes and tributaries in the Indian Ocean.

Man knows his Age of Discovery history, this is gonna be great.

Then again, depends on if you take stock in this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Menzies

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

He's good for fiction, and nothing else. No, we're going to stay as far away from him as possible if the thread wants a Chinese pirate.

Speaking of Chinese pirate, I'm going to need a religion from you Crazycryodude and MinistryofLard. Both of you are missing what religion she was raised in.

Also, I need to say this. To the posters who are establishing their characters as already part of a pirate crew, we're not there yet. I like the extra details you guys are adding and I encourage you to add extra details for later updates, but right now our pirate is at the cusp of puberty. Wait till next update.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

He's good for fiction, and nothing else. No, we're going to stay as far away from him as possible if the thread wants a Chinese pirate.

Speaking of Chinese pirate, I'm going to need a religion from you Crazycryodude and MinistryofLard. Both of you are missing what religion she was raised in.

Also, I need to say this. To the posters who are establishing their characters as already part of a pirate crew, we're not there yet. I like the extra details you guys are adding and I encourage you to add extra details for later updates, but right now our pirate is at the cusp of puberty. Wait till next update.

Changing my vote to Cryo's Ching Shih suggestion, and adding in Karma Kagyu (Black Hat) Buddhism

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Changing my vote to Cryo's Ching Shih suggestion, and adding in Karma Kagyu (Black Hat) Buddhism

:argh:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hey, don't get me wrong, I love a feisty German wench but a Chinese pirate queen has mad potential

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We're talking like mid-late Ming dynasty right now, yeah? My Chinese history's not the best, sorry. IIRC this time period has some really cool syncretic Taoist/Buddhist traditions going on, that could be interesting.

E:

Hexenritter posted:

adding in Karma Kagyu (Black Hat) Buddhism[/b]

Yeah let's go with that

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Let's not be Literal Ching Shih, Ching Shih already did that.

1. Diego Mendoza--remember the name well!

2. Combat, Navigation, Hunting/Foraging

3. We are Catholic, of course. The True Faith!

4. Eh... it is the True Faith, yes, but that does not mean god smites those who are not so strict. And there is more out there than the priests would tell you.

5. Glorious Spain!

6. It has been some time now, but it is in your blood--your great-somethingth Grandfather travelled with the Conquistadors in their plunder of the New World, and the stories he brought back have been with your family ever since. Cities of gold, fountains of youth, dark gods demanding blood sacrifice. All that remains of that legacy is the stories, an impossibly sharp knife of black stone, and an old compass that is unreliable at best, but that's all you need to set forth an adventure.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

No, Ching Shih is going to do that in about 150 years. We're her much less well know great-great-grandmother that she was named after :colbert:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Plan Diog.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Plan CourValant.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

No, Ching Shih is going to do that in about 150 years. We're her much less well know great-great-grandmother that she was named after :colbert:

Alright I have to put my foot down here. We're not having a historical domain character as our pirate, not even a blatant "ancestor." I'll sign off on your Chinese pirate if the thread wants her, but please give her a different name.

On another tangent here's a tally of the votes so far.

e: Didn't notice dont be mean to me's votes. Added that to the tally.

Names

"Bastard" Jack Rutherford -
Helena Engel - ||
"Qin Hanying" - |||
Salam ibn Naftali - ||
Giys "The Goose" Zilbermint - |
Beatriz Verdugo - |
Diego Mendoza - I

Skills

Combat - ||
Navigation - ||||||||
Religion/Esoterica - |||
Trading - ||||||
Medicine - ||
Fishing - |
Linguistics - |||||
Hunting/Foraging - |
Cookery - |
Construction - |

Religion

Catholic - |||
Protestant -
Jewish - ||
Islam - ||
Celtic Paganism -
Karma Kagyu Buddhism - ||

Zeal

Deeply - |||||
Somewhat - |||
Not At All- ||

Do You Believe?

Yes - |||||||||
No -

Country

England -
France -
Spain - |
Portugal - |
Holland - |
China - |||
Holy Roman Empire (Germany) - ||
Sus (Morocco) - ||

Event

Traveller - ||
World Map -
Lost Father - ||
Foreigners -
Kidnapped - |
Dreams -
Dead Husband - |||
Inquisition - |
Grandfather's stories - |

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Ching Shih was a pretty dumb name to pick, let's go with.... "Qin Hanying"

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I feel that many of you are not considering all of the possibility is that a Barbary pirate offers.

Such as hashish. If you want any hashish, you are not getting any if you are playing a Chinese pirate!

A Chinese pirate is going to be restricted pretty much to the East China Sea / Sea of Japan and the Indian Ocean. A Barbary pirate could go anywhere in Europe or the Mediterranean or even the Americas!

What is the likelihood that you will encounter lamps with genies or djinn or Tales of a Thousand and One Arabian nights as a Chinese pirate? You all love the tales of Sinbad! Don't deny it!

Also, North African pirates enslaved ton of Europeans! We can work through our collective white guilt together!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 4, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

dont be mean to me posted:

Plan CourValant.

Thanks!

Remember Folks, a vote for Helena Engel is a vote to bring the love and grace of the Holy Roman Empire to the heathens of the New World!

We will convert them by the power of our blue eyes and blonde hair; we will crush the bones of the English, drink the blood of the French, consume the flesh of the Dutch, and hear the lamentations of the Spanish.

Then, after communion and confession, we'll loot their cargo, fire their boats, and retire as the governor of Curaçao.

Vote Helena!

***** Edit *****

Can you vote for yourself or is that not kosher?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

CourValant posted:

Can you vote for yourself or is that not kosher?

I just saw the extra vote and have included that in the tally. My apologies. :)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Diogines posted:

I feel that many of you are not considering all of the possibility is that a Barbary pirate offers.

Such as hashish. If you want any hashish, you are not getting any if you are playing a Chinese pirate!

A Chinese pirate is going to be restricted pretty much to the East China Sea / Sea of Japan and the Indian Ocean. A Barbary pirate could go anywhere in Europe or the Mediterranean or even the Americas!

What is the likelihood that you will encounter lps with genies or djinn or Tales of a Thousand and One Arabian nights as a Chinese pirate? You all love the tales of Sinbad! Don't deny it!

Well, this specific Chinese pirate has somehow found her way to the other side of the planet and is kicking around the Caribbean, but I do see the merits of getting to enslave whitey.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

:respek:

***** Edit *****

Sorry, messed up the edit.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 4, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

:respek:

***** Edit *****

Diogines posted:

My fellow Goons, do we really want to condone this flagrant use of mind altering drugs? The only drug we need are the edicts of The Pope!

Diogines posted:

What is the likelihood that you will encounter lamps with genies or djinn or Tales of a Thousand and One Arabian nights as a Chinese pirate? You all love the tales of Sinbad! Don't deny it!

No! We will not sail the seven seas singing 'Arabian Nights' from Aladdin, when we can re-imagine Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty as a Bible-Thumping, God Fearing, hypocritical Pirate Queen!

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, this specific Chinese pirate has somehow found her way to the other side of the planet and is kicking around the Caribbean, but I do see the merits of getting to enslave whitey.

This Chinese Wench doesn't even know how she got here! Can we truly trust her to be our leader and savior!?!

Vote BlondieHelena!!!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Plan Diog

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Plan Diog

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Diog's Barbary Pirate. Let's do the Barbarossa brothers proud!

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Love the Barbary angle. Gonna throw in a vote for our less acknowledged Barbary Pirate.

Beatrix

Come on, think about it. It can be like a Quentin Tarrantino style revenge-flick, about pirates! Inglorious Basterds starring the Spanish Inquisition instead of Nazis.

Just as much djinns and magic carpetry, same basic sphere of the world, built in antagonist no one has to feel bad for, Beatrix sounds great!

I want her to conquer Spain...

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I know I voted for Diog's cool Barbary guy, but now I kind of want to write in a vote for an incredibly intense Norwegian transplant to the Caribbean where SATAN is the answer to every option. Watch how long we last.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

I know I voted for Diog's cool Barbary guy, but now I kind of want to write in a vote for an incredibly intense Norwegian transplant to the Caribbean where SATAN is the answer to every option.

Burning all the churches to Tyrants by Immortal :black101:

• Locked thread