Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

That or rapists. To be fair most of the male characters are so obviously flawed that I actually suspected Billy of being some kind of closet psychopath for quite a while. Just so he'd fit in.

I suspect that Billy and Lilah are both, in different ways, commentaries on the post-WW2 South.

WW2 ended "The South" and "Southern Families" in a lot of ways; all that economic change washed those families away. The kids moved away or married "off"; if you go to, say, Charleston or Savannah today, and start moving in "old southern society" circles, you'll find very few Caskey types and a lot of Billy Bronzes -- people who married in or talked their way in, but who aren't actually "From Charleston" or "From Savannah" in the "there are streets named after my great-grandparents" sense. The people who did have that kind of direct connection (i.e., Lilah) decided they'd rather GTFO than keep dealing with the monsters.

Billy's a perfectly nice guy, nothing wrong with him, but Oscar Caskey knew every tree within a hundred miles, and Elinor knew every rivulet; Billy is just a nice competent guy who knows numbers. It's another step in losing that connection with the land and the water; on the other hand, Billy doesn't get anyone eaten by ghosts or river monsters, either.

One thing I didn't realize till I looked it up online: the Perdido River is literally the official boundary between Florida and Alabama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Sometimes I think there are so many rapists and terrible people in the town because McDowell ostensibly still wants it to be a horror story with gory deaths but doesn't want Elinor or her children to become less sympathetic to the audience by having them explicitly tear apart normal people. Like, the little child and the two soldiers get off relatively light compared to Trevor and Lee

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

That or rapists. To be fair most of the male characters are so obviously flawed that I actually suspected Billy of being some kind of closet psychopath for quite a while. Just so he'd fit in.

e: Actually there's one bit I sort of enjoyed in spite of itself: Malcolm's return and marriage to Miriam. Interesting mixture of being happy things turned out well for him and sorry for him for much the same reason there.

Guy A. Person posted:

Finished the first book on a plane last night.

:mad:

mod edit: spoiler tags added

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 24, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's definitely a progression in community becoming more open as time goes on: first there's the outsider Elinor, then Queenie and Early show up and eventually find their place (with varying degrees of success) in the community... Lilah's marriage and departure feels like it puts the last nail in the coffin of the sternly ruled Caskey clan and the village's relative isolation both.
I think I missed this angle simply because I attributed the isolation more to the oppressive rule of Mary-Love but then again she is a product of that culture as well.

One nice thing about this thread is that it keeps showing what flew just past me somehow.

e: Okay, I spoilered the event just to be sure. Now kindly do the same with your quote.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

trust me brah, you're not spoiled on the important stuff

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

trust me brah, you're not spoiled on the important stuff

Yeah I figured and don't care about spoilers that much anyway

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I figured and don't care about spoilers that much anyway

Its very similar to 100 years of solitude where the first page has a family tree but its not who marries who thats interesting, its why and what is happening around them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If people need spoiler tags added in somewhere feel free to shoot me a PM or file a report, it's about the only thing I use my post editing powers for

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If people need spoiler tags added in somewhere feel free to shoot me a PM or file a report, it's about the only thing I use my post editing powers for

I've been kind of doing spoilers by percentages throughout the month.

Like, now that we're in the last week I feel like everything but the last book is basically open for spoiler-free discussion

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No don't I was joking ahhhhh don't mess with the thread over my dumb joke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

No don't I was joking ahhhhh don't mess with the thread over my dumb joke

but seriously though read the book and then tell the child loving thread to read it too

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

On it, boss

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Well finished it off a few days ago. It's certainly interested me in the Southern Gothic genre, but I am a little worried that it might end up a let down after this. Guess I'll pick up some Faulkner and see.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

Well finished it off a few days ago. It's certainly interested me in the Southern Gothic genre, but I am a little worried that it might end up a let down after this. Guess I'll pick up some Faulkner and see.

I don't think you can be disappointed with Faulkner ever unless river monsters is part of the appeal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

team overhead smash posted:

Start with the Go Down, Moses short story collection. Relatively accessible for Faulkner and similar in theme(s).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I'm only about halfway through the whole thing now, it's sweet reading.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I know it's pretty much the end of the thread (give or take a week ), but none of the books I've been reading lately grab me, so I bought the book today.

This thread makes me wish TBB had a non-Lovecraft/cosmic horror, non-King horror thread.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 25, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

This thread makes me wish TBB had a non-Lovecraft/cosmic horror, non-King horror thread.

I am tempted to make a thread called THE SKELETON FACTORY about awesome horror book covers

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
NPR has a bit on right now about 70s and 80s pulp horror. Grady Hendricks, "Paperbacks from Hell"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

NPR has a bit on right now about 70s and 80s pulp horror. Grady Hendricks, "Paperbacks from Hell"

Yeah thats how I found out about this book

Its a really really fun read and I recommend it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OK this thread has convinced me I should read this book, late but better than never eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I know it's pretty much the end of the thread (give or take a week ), but none of the books I've been reading lately grab me, so I bought the book today.

For better or worse, the Cosmic Horror thread has become the general horror thread. I've considered pushing for a thread title change, or just starting a new thread. Too lazy/uninformed to write a good OP for a horror novel thread, though,.

• Locked thread