Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder how closely they're going to follow the original plotline; some of it was pretty stupid. Like the Sun and Moon dying, twice in a generation at that. I wouldn't be surprised if they generally followed it, since it's easier than writing new stuff and less likely to cause fans to get mad, but I'd be interested in seeing things be a bit less silly.

Also interested in seeing how they handle the minor clans and stuff in the RPG. I liked quite a few of them, but none are in the beta yet.

Also, I never got into the old card game, but the new one being, well, new, is tempting me. I can't afford even a single starter set right now, but if I get more money and the local game shop turns out to have a decent amount of people who play, I may end up trying to get into this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah. That'd be neat; put the various weird cataclysms in as alternate setting stuff in the RPGs and whatnot, but keep the "main" thing fairly standard and don't go crazy with multiple disasters a decade and repeatedly killing the gods and stuff. Heck, don't kill the gods at all; it was kind of dumb even the first time, and also given that she's a major figure in Japanese religion having Amaterasu kill herself (because her evil husband who hated her died, at that) seems... Questionable.

Throw in some reference to all the old stuff as a possible setting or something, so fans of the original plot have support for still playing with it, just don't do it all over again. In part because it was silly, and in part because everyone's already seen it before. Otherwise, though, keep "official" Rokugan more subdued, with things like "normal" wars and whatnot being the usual big deals people are worried about.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bakeneko posted:

The specifics tended to vary depending on which writer was writing a given piece of fiction. Consistency in the lore was never AEG’s strong suit. However a lot of evidence seemed to point to the fact that some of the things samurai believed about the Celestial Order were wrong. After all, humans and other species existed and had developed their own cultures before the Kami fell and introduced it to the region they happened to land in, and several foreign civilizations were confirmed to exist alongside their own gods even into the present day.

I guess this might just be me getting into my own fanon, which was rather extensive at the time (I also theorized that the Nothing was actually a kind of demiurge, not the true creator of the universe, but that’s another story) but I think that the Order would have applied to the whole world and to nonhumans if it truly were the equivalent of a fundamental law of physics, rather than just a government that a group of celestial beings created to manage the humans they had decided to rule.

And yeah I'd love to see the rats and the others in the new RPG. Fingers crossed.

That is an interesting idea. Though now I'm curious; the idea that the Celestial Order wasn't really a big deal and all that fits, but the stuff involving the Sun and Moon seems, well, didn't the sun actually go out after Amaterasu killed herself? Were she and Onnotangu the whole world's sun and moon, with less-important children who decided to rule a country, or were even those two just important in Rokugan and not elsewhere? (Like some sort of... Localized sun and moon? I don't know.) I feel like I remember reading about the effects, or lack thereof, of all that in other parts of the world before, but it was at least a year or two ago so I can't remember it at all.

And yes, rats and stuff are good for the RPG. Less so for the LCG, at least as their own faction, because they don't really fit into the dynamic there, as other people pointed out, but things like them and the minor clans were really neat in the RPG. I hope we see more on that front sometime soon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, since we're debating whether or not $120 is a reasonable entry point to the game, I'm a person who hasn't bought in yet and would like to, but having to buy three core sets for over a hundred dollars total to get full playsets of important cards (and winding up with a lot of duplicates that go well over what you need or can use, which seems like a huge waste to me) isn't exactly appealing or an easy decision for me. I mean, it's actually impossible for me right now, but even if I had more disposable income at the moment I'd still really rather not. If I had to, I'd at least prefer to, like, just buy a full core playset without the wasted cards, even if it was more expensive than a single starter set, because there'd be less waste and it'd be cheaper than three cores as a result.

That seems like a pretty good way to sell it really; just, full pack of all the cards (or maybe split up some into individual or groups of clans), and include sample deck lists for people to pick from if they aren't ready to get into full deck-building yet. Or something. I don't know, I might do what I did for Netrunner and see if I can find someone selling a full core playset for less than the price of three cores, when I have the money to spare. Or one or two friends who magically happen to want to play different clans than I do so we can split the costs and cards or something.

Edit: As for the comparisons to Magic, yeah, Magic's even more expensive. That's why I stopped played it.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

While you are definitely correct, what campaign of L5R are you playing where anyone is a shugenja and not a bunch of cool bushi? I feel like you really need to play up social stuff to make L5R work, as opposed to running it as D&D with curvy longswords. Murder hobos without a lord to serve are just honorless dogs.

FFG is notorious for ignoring open playtesting,which is disappointing.

Counterpoint: The Kuni are awesome. (As are the Moshi, but they're not in the beta.) At least, based on my limited knowledge of them; before I didn't really look into the Crab much, so I might not be aware of some older lore stuff, but at least based on the concept and stuff the Kuni seem cool.

And yeah, while I agree that the balance seems off, L5R at least should have more court stuff going on and all that to enforce balance, and a shugenja just going around immolating everything seems like something that would attract negative attention from both other people and irritated kami. (Though that doesn't stop a monk from going around magically punching everything I guess.) It'd be good to bring things to a closer level mechanically of course, but at the same time the setting and type of game this is, or at least should be, seems like something of a balancing factor. (Also, I hate spell slots.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 12, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ahaha, that's pretty great. I didn't know much about the Tortoise before, but that sounds amusing. Shame that, like a lot of things, they kind of lost their thing as the plot went on and got weird. Maybe the restart will help that out this time around.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 12, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

If you just want to test the game and see if it's for you then 1 core is exactly what you want. Not having a legal deck doesn't change the rules or the flow of the game, it simply streamlines the decks into more efficient versions of what they can do. The difference between 3 core and 1 core decks is pretty much the same as the difference between someone playing with a starter deck and a couple boosters and someone with a full playset of every card in the previous CCG. Magic figured out that was pretty terrible a long time ago and started putting out their preconstructed decks so that a player jumping in could have a more streamlined and efficient deck, but even those are still miles away from competitive decks.

The only games where you have all the options available from the get go are games with much smaller card pools and that are more interesting in being a complete game out of a single product; like Ashes or Codex. With any competitive card game that has an expanding card pool, the cost to buy-in with a full playset is going to be high.

You wouldn't have "all the options" with just the core set either; that's what all the packs they're continuously releasing are for, after all. But a more comprehensive core set or some other means of getting a playset of core cards, besides buying three core sets, with would mean both a lower barrier to entry for people who do want to stick with the game, and fewer wasted cards that people will never, ever use.

Also, comparing the core set as-is to a thing you admit is terrible isn't really an argument in favor of the current core set.

Edit: You know what would be nice, actually? A "Core Completion Set" or something. No cardboard tokens or other fiddly bits, just 1-2 each of the cards there isn't already a set of three of in the core set. Then you could have the core set as an entry point, and people who want to get more into the game and play with people other than others just using core decks buy that set to round things out before picking up the expansion packs. Bam, smaller barrier to entry that will probably sell better and be cheaper to make because all the extra pieces aren't needed and stuff.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 13, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

The problem with this is that you're adding another product to the marketplace that a) confuses consumers, and b) pisses off retailers who have to gamble on how much to order.

That is fair; I considered this myself actually, and while I was thinking if they could make it clear that it's not a playable set on its own, people would still make mistakes. Particularly people buying the thing as a gift for someone else.

quote:

They previously had greater quantities of certain cards in the core set, see Netrunner, and that really led to 'wasted' cards. They refined the distribution more with aGoT2e and I consider L5R to be the optimum in that everything for clans is x1 with the neutrals being x2. That means that as you buy x3 cores, you can build decks easier.

Oh, really? That's a better way of doing it then; I admit I was assuming they were doing it like, well, Netrunner again.

Hm, I wonder if I could find someone else who's A. Into this, and B. Has completely different clan interest than I do. Three sets would offer one each of complete clan sets and two neutral sets, which would split between two people fairly well, even if one person gets an extra clan. $60 (or a bit more or less if the person getting the extra clan pays more) for a full set of everything I care about wouldn't be nearly as bad, and splitting the cost of the smaller packs could be an option going forward as well. ...Outside of the need for extra neutrals and stuff.

Thank you for putting in the time to write that all out, by the way. I appreciate your explanation and stuff. Sorry for being a bit rude earlier. $120 is still a high price point and has its disadvantages, but that does make more sense now, and as you say at least they're really mitigating the drawbacks of it this time around. I'll have to see if I can find someone else who's willing to share costs for this, meanwhile.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 13, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperKlaus posted:

I always thought Scorpion peasants were genuinely well-treated, because as the keepers of the Black Scrolls* the Scorpion are hyper-interested in keeping maho cults away, and they figured out that happy peasants don't turn to blood rituals so often. Or did I accidentally head-canon that? Maybe I made up the reason why but I swear I read somewhere that Scorpion peasants have it good, all considered.

*as always we'll disregard how fuckin' bad they were at this job in old canon

I remember hearing this somewhere too, for what it's worth. Can't recall where off the top of my head though.

quote:

The issue, as always with the fighter / wizard thing, is that it goes way beyond combat. It's about ability to impact the narrative. Playing up courtly intrigue - which I am 100% behind - doesn't balance characters because the bushi is still unable to do much but hit thing with sword while the shugenja's skill set includes rendering secret missives invisible and reading friggin' minds. Plus, the new concept of shuji is available to every beta School but the Kuni, which means that everyone is on an equal footing accessing social-context "special moves." It's just that while the bushi demonstrates his skill at pretty talk, the shugenja talks pretty and then reads someone's friggin' mind.

I could be cracked though and seeing what amounts to PTSD flashbacks from umpteen D&D arguments on the topic. Pretty sure I'm not but I'll see what y'all think.

That is a good point. I wasn't arguing that things shouldn't be equalized more, just that the game not being about murderhoboing and things spells being prayers (which would hopefully limit both frivolous use and make it so a shugenja can't just use them wherever without suspicion or reaction) would hopefully limit how much magic characters having, well, magic lets them dominate things. It still should be addressed beyond that though, probably, even if it is kind of tricky to do. Do you have any ideas on the subject, out of curiosity? I'll review the rules myself soon, but I'm curious what ideas you might have since you've been thinking about this and thus probably have better ones than me right now.

Also wow, everyone really does have shūji except for the Kuni. That's kind of hilarious.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

peasant stuff

Ah, that's interesting. I remembered the "bread and circuses" thing, but either forgot or missed the "...Because life for them is lovely otherwise" part.

Also, the bit about the Mantis has me remembering reading somewhere that, even before they were in the Mantis, the Moshi treated their peasants fairly well too, though I can't remember where. It does make sense though; a family of priestesses who worship the sun goddess, value empathy and harmony and such, and who live in an isolated, peaceful, fertile area don't seem like they'd be the sorts to do too much oppressing, at least beyond what's inherent to the system and such. Edit: Looked it up, and yeah, the Moshi generally just wanted to be left alone, so they didn't bother their peasants, taxed them less, and let them keep more food. The general Moshi attitude seems to have been "please go away" before they were forced into relevance.

Now I'm wondering if being less lovely towards their peasants was a general minor clan thing, or the Mantis (before and after their rise) and the Centipede were among the exceptions there. I could see it going either way really. (Also the bit about the Lion combined with me talking about the Moshi has me remembering one of my favorite minor lore bits, where apparently the Lion tried to invade the Centipede and got wrecked until diplomatic pressure made them stop. Turns out attacking into horribly unfriendly mountainous terrain and fighting people literally blessed by the sun and commanding some of the most powerful fire magic in the country is a bad idea and results in the strongest army in the country getting clowned by some backwater minor clan.)

KittyEmpress posted:

May have been outliers with rolls, always possible with low sample numbers, but Bushi definitely aren't mechanically gimped in a fighter vs. wizard way. They're still narratively gimped though, as discussed, in that they can't do narrative things [though Invocations have a 1/scene restriction, in non combat scenes]

Well, that's good to know at least. I'm not sure if there's any way around the narrative bit, since they are mundane compared to monks and shugenja, but at least they're good at what they do. Which is murder.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 13, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

Minor clans kinda can't be as distant and arrogant as the great clans are. Half the time, they have to work side by side with their own peasants. That's the thing with the Mantis - they aren't really samurai, they're sailors. Most great clans have big land armies, where they keep the peasant part of the army and the noble side of the army separated. That's not really so much an option on a boat! So of course, working side by side with them builds familiarity, which increases empathy. Of course, on top of that, most Minor Clans have their origins in peasants who did Real Good once, so it's a bit hard to put on airs when you know ol' great grandpa was out in the fields himself, and it's likewise hard to consider the peasants a group of ignorable half-human nobodies when you yourself are living proof they can drat well be more then that.

That makes sense, and is about what I was thinking. The way I saw it going the other way was a minor clan being insecure and overcompensating, but, given that they're minor clans, most probably wouldn't have the power to pull that off without revolt for too long anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Going back a bit, I noticed a problem with the Invocation rules while rereading them to check the balance stuff that was discussed before. Specifically, with this bit:

KittyEmpress posted:

[though Invocations have a 1/scene restriction, in non combat scenes]

This is true. However, each element also has some form of spiritual backlash if you roll too much strife while using an invocation of that type. Most are pretty dang annoying and potentially devastation. Earth, though...

quote:

Earth
Description: Earth kami repay disrespect with stony silence.
Effect: Characters cannot perform this technique again until the end of the scene.

The Earth spiritual backlash penalty literally isn't a penalty for non-conflict invocations. That seems wrong.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

It's fine for casual play. I think you guys are really overestimating that audience. We're talking about people that have a hard time following how to play Dominion. L5R is already pretty complicated for them, if you forced them into deckbuilding beyond "take cards X and Y and shuffle together" they'd check out because it's too complicated.

How many people who find the game that complicated would even try to get into L5R in the first place? Genuinely curious. It doesn't seem like people who aren't interested in learning a weird card game are the target audience for a card game that takes $40+ dollars to break into, outside of maybe little kids who think the game sounds cool/want to play what their older siblings play (i.e. my little brothers, who got into the GoT card game for a little while through me).

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It doesn't work mechanically but it makes a bit of lore sense. The kami are below humanity in the celestial order, it is only right and proper that they obey. The relationship between a Shugenja and the kami is the same as a Samurai to the Peasants, there are certain obligations both ways. It's the real reason why Maho is reviled, the taint and blood used to cast it is bad, but a human is becoming subservient to a spirit, thereby inverting the celestial order.

No, spiritual backlash is a fine idea, the problem is that the Earth ring penalty does not work as a penalty because that penalty is part of casting any spell at all outside conflict. There's already a 1/scene limit on invocations outside combat, so the spiritual backlash here is nonexistent. Edit: I might be misunderstanding you here, whoops.

Though, are you sure about that? I thought shugenja magic was always about beseeching the kami for help, not ordering or demanding it. Not sure what the older stuff has to say, but this is in the beta document:

quote:

The Proper Time for the Proper Invocations

Invocations can be used outside of their proper circumstances, but kami are not obligated to answer the call of a shugenja, nor do they tend to react to frivolous entreaties. Outside of Conflicts and other life-and-death situations, a shugenja can only attempt a given invocation once per scene; if the shugenja succeeds, the kami have done as asked and it would be unseemly to request more. If the attempt ended in failure, the kami have made their answer clear.

Additionally, if a shugenja attempts to use an invocation in a way that falls far outside of its relevant context (for instance, attempting to summon vast quantities of jade to turn a profit, rather than to smite evil), the kami may not answer at all. The kami are not at the beck and call of the shugenja; if anything the relationship works the other way around, and the shugenja merely receive certain benefits as favors for their devotion.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 13, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

See there you go using terms like 'break into'. These people don't do research on the game. It simply shows up on the BGG hotness list, or a popular product list, or they saw a lot of people posting about, etc. These are people that walked by the booth at Gencon, went 'Wow, Samurai game that looks cool. Take my money!'

Anyone who's even remotely interested to 'get into' the game will have done a bit of research online, joined the Facebook/Reddit chat, read about the game on BGG or FFG's own website, and immediately seen what you need to jump into the game proper is 3 core sets. If they were turned off by that and decided to not jump into the game, then fair enough it didn't hook them. The fact that every LCG does it's best sales in Core Sets, and actually expansions for board games in general, should tell you that a lot of people will just grab something because of the hype train, play it one time, and then let it sit on their shelf for the rest of their days.

Fair enough. I knew people like that are a thing, I was just figuring they're a considerably smaller proportion of people who buy the game.

Though, obviously core set sales are the highest. It's the core set; it's what everyone needs, then people branch out from there as needed/desired. Also, you need three core sets, versus one of any other set. So, I think you're extrapolating more from that particular data point than you should.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

I'm just going on numbers I heard retailers batting around online, which range from 70% to 85% of their sales of an LCG being in cores. So it's a fairly overwhelming amount. If you assume that everyone who buys 3 Cores will buy the first cycle and a deluxe then those sales should be a lot closer. The fact that they aren't suggests that either people are buying 3 cores of these games and then not buying into it any further or there's a large amount of people buying only a single core.

You are right, there's certainly a lot of speculation and room for variance outside that. FFG doesn't release it's figures so we won't ever know for certain unless someone hacks them and posts their sales records online.

Fair point, that is higher than what I was expecting. But at the same time, while everyone wants core sets, not everyone will want every other set. Might skip out on certain smaller packs and almost certainly will skip on clan-specific packs for clans they don't want, further contributing to the discrepancy. But, yeah, people who only buy core stuff and don't go further than that because it fails to hold their interest are definitely a factor too.

alansmithee posted:

To get away from this discussion, I'm wondering how primary RPG dudes feel about what I assume is the fact that the LCG tournaments are going to determine storyline elements. Like I just was reading on the facebook group (one of them, at least) that the shogun of the empire will be decided by the winning clan at worlds. And already the bounties are going up (was something I largely forgot about from the old CCG days-basically dudes offering prizes to people who win with the clan they want and/or make story decisions they want)-when I checked this morning there was a $225 bounty for getting Crab to be shogun. I have no idea how they'd do it, but it does seem like it would be cool if they could get some RPG player input somehow, especially as they're typically gonna be more in-depth into the story elements.

Personally, at least, I hope that they keep things more reasonable this time at least. Don't go completely insane the way they did before, make sure everything makes sense narratively even if the real reason whatever happened is due to a real life tournament, etc. The stories about the old game stuff... Hoo boy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Similar question, I'm still looking to possibly get into the LCG if I can find someone to split the cost with, and I'm most interested in Phoenix, Crab, and Dragon. Any tips there? I understand the Dragon are really strong, but the other two I've heard mixed things on.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I attended my FLGS's L5R tourney today, hoping to learn a little and see how popular it is in the area. Tourney wasn't big, but apparently the game's selling very well. Tourney was an only one core one (two decks of thirty, can use influence and roles, but can only use the cards from one core set), and I'm heading to a game night with friends, so I impulse bought one core set to play with and see about selling a friend on the game later tonight.

Tournament was three rounds and you had to use a different clan each round. Round one I had a bye and the tournament organizer played me to help me brush up on the rules. I used the recommended Phoenix/Dragon deck versus his three core Dragon deck, and predictably lost (or would have but the next round came before we finished). Second round, I used the same deck and had a mirror match, and lost. Third, I used the recommended Crab/Scorpion deck, versus a Unicorn/Crab player, and actually won.

Didn't make the top three, unsurprisingly, but it was still fun. And I got a promo Imperial Favor, Scorpion champion dude, and Hida Kisada, so that's pretty cool.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

Sounds like you had at least 5 other players to play with at the store, so that's not too bad. Good luck selling your friend on the game.

I think it was at least six-eight players there, maybe nine, plus the organizer. Also at least one or two players in the area who couldn't make it apparently. So yeah.

No friends sold on the game yet, still working on that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperKlaus posted:

That GM was an rear end in a top hat but the story does remind me of my distaste for designs like nearly every Unicorn bushi school in L5R RPG history. They're commonly too swingy, with the character displaying awesome power with his horse and tofu-block shapeless uselessness without. This new School Ability is funny but I'd prefer something a little less potent, preferably then paired with a non-horse-dependent power to compensate. At least it's just the one School Ability, whereas past editions might see 3 or 4 of 5 Techniques hinge on horses.

Well, they have two horse-based abilities considering their Rank 6 one, which... Is even sillier than the school one really. It's kind of amazing:

quote:

I Will Always Return (Rank 6 Mastery Ability)
Once per game session, you may call out for your steed. At the beginning of the following round, your horse arrives, regardless of any barriers that might normally have prevented it from reaching your location. If your steed has recently been slain, its spirit will possess the closest horse to you and come to your aid regardless, such is its loyalty to you.

The Shinjo Outrider is so goofy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like shugenja, but in particular I like the shugenja families who have something interesting or unique to them. I love the Moshi, for example, with their sun worship and whatnot, and recently have been enamored with the concept of the Kuni. Conversely, while I like the idea of the Phoenix Clan, I've never had a spark of inspiration when trying to figure out what to do with their shugenja, despite them basically being the best at magic, and usually wound up abandoning the ideas I had there whenever I tried something because nothing really grabbed me. A particular campaign someone runs, with more to build on than just that, could change that, but in and of themselves they're just good mages, basically.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're supposed to be absolute pacifists? I read Way of the Minor Clans recently, and it mentioned that the Moshi are pacifists, but not absolutely so, like when they marched with the Phoenix in some war or when they used their magic to repel the Lion. They don't use their power frivolously, but they do use it. The text made them out to be more pacifistic than most shugenja families, too, other than the Phoenix, who were described as absolute pacifists.

Edit: Misread, whoops. Though yeah, the absolute number of combat spells is weird, even if some amount of them makes sense.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 19, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Traveller posted:

Or you can be Isawa Asahina and set entire villages on fire just because you're that angry at the Crane. Shugenja are definitely wizards, for all of their supposed priestly trappings.

Hopefully FFG's writers are... Well, better than AEG's were. Shugenja being consistent, the Scorpion not being 99% mustache-twirling villains, the gods not being casually and repeatedly killed off, there's a lot they could easily do better.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bussamove posted:

I am still salty about how they just casually tossed Yakamo and Hitomi out of the heavens in a single short story with no pomp or circumstance years after that particular story arc resolved.

I still think that killing off Onnotangu and Amaterasu in the first place was really dumb (particularly Amaterasu; the Onnotangu stuff, sure, I guess, but why would she kill herself over her hateful, evil husband, who literally wanted to murder her and her children as well as everything they created, getting killed?), but yeah, the dragons just chucking them out after that was even more egregious.

Again, I really hope they just don't go down the god-killing route this time. It escalates things way too much.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

alansmithee posted:

Yeah I'm totally with you on this. Fu Leng basically had a timeshare property in Rokugan. And killing off Hitomi and Yakamo so quickly just seemed like a big waste. You could argue if it should've happened at all, but I thought it was a decent capstone to the stories of two fairly significant people. And then in a decade they're killed in basically a throwaway line as a minor part of some other story.

Also the most recent story hints at the presence of the naga which I'm glad to hear, although I'm not sure it doesn't open the door to a bunch of other stuff maybe best left not in the game.

Oh yeah, while I dislike... Well, again, mostly Amaterasu's death, which was dumb and seemed more like it was done so both would be replaced; Onnotangu dying did fit the story, even if it was also a dramatic escalation in stakes and scale of conflict for L5R, but either way, once they did it they should have at least committed to it. Killing Hitomi and Yakamo off afterwards was the worst of both worlds, since it didn't undo the previous silliness and indeed made things even sillier because now the gods died again, within a generation basically, while also throwing away all the stuff they did with those two and probably pissing off people who actually liked the new gods and whatnot. Besides people who just hated Hitomi and Yakamo specifically, I'm not sure who would have been pleased by that move.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

I am fine with anime as hell wuxia flipping out, and I am fine with grounded and more sensical, but the game needs to choose which it is and set all archtypes around that. Bushi being grounded while everyone else is flying and flipping over trees is kinda bullshit.

I don't agree here, and had written up a post trying to argue why I don't think solving the fighter/wizard situation necessitates either doing away with magic entirely or making everyone magic, but I'm tired so it came out kind of messy and rambly and bad, so I'm just going to come back to that later instead, when I've slept and am back at my own computer. (Edit: Specifically, I don't agree with the "everyone magic or no one magic" thing; giving bushi more options and interesting things to do is good, and even giving them supernatural options could be cool. I just think that making them always magic, or conversely axing all the mystical elements for PCs, is an unnecessary and extreme option.)

It did make me think of something else, however, that I'm now wondering about : What does everyone think about courtiers? They're the last of the "main three" character types alongside bushi and shugenja (monks being a weird side thing there's literally only one school for at present, much like shinobi (who also don't seem to get much attention)), and yet they never come up. They've been entirely outside the "balance" discussion, and honestly I can't remember them really coming up in the thread at all, at least not directly and in the context of the RPG; cool LCG courtier cards were definitely mentioned, and politics was mentioned in general, but the courtiers themselves have been strangely absent. They seem like they'd be really, really relevant to some of the arguments that have been made here too, regarding usefulness and relevance and contributing outside of a particular area and all that, among other things.

Also, how many people here are actually playtesting the game? I don't have an IRL group I can play with, but if people here wanted to organize something, whether on the forums or on Discord or something, I'd love to participate.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 20, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KittyEmpress posted:

Courtiers do exactly what they need to do in this system. As I mentioned, Shuji are incredibly powerful in social contexts (And even outside of them, with initiative manipulation and bonuses in ckmbat). Unfortunately, I think literally every school in the book has access to Shuji. So a bushi, if willing to go outside their rank up tables, has as much ability to be a good courtier as a courtier. But they probably won't be ranking up from it, so they probably won't.

Every school has them except the Kuni Witch Hunters, which is kind of hilarious to me, but yeah, Shuji present an odd problem in that, in theory everyone should be able to participate effectively in court, and thus have them, but simultaneously courtiers are supposed to be better in court scenarios. I mean, Shuji existing for everyone (except Kuni) is probably better than them existing for no one, since courtiers and court-focused people deserve interesting things too, but outside of school abilities the only thing really making courtiers better in court is that they're more likely to invest in court stuff.

...Which, honestly, isn't really much of a change from how things used to be, if I recall correctly, so. Yeah.

Yawgmoth posted:

That's honestly one of the things I hate most about previous editions since combat is typically over really fast. I can either cast my Xk1 damage spell or I can spend multiple turns doing nothing except saying "I keep casting my spell" and hope the bushi doesn't finish the fight before then. And even if they don't, enemy's probably got like a -30 TN penalty anyways by now do that big fun hadoken spell is total overkill.

I would honestly prefer making spells more modular but less huge in their effects, and give bushi a bigger scale, width vs. height style. But I don't know how well that would work in practice.

Oh yeah, dead turns suck. They aren't good for balance, they're just boring. No one likes doing nothing for a round or longer, particularly when it means a chance of not doing anything at all because the encounter might end before you can act. Making playing part of the game unfun isn't the way to go generally.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NinjaDebugger posted:

The major difference is that now courtiers have access to kata as well, which means the reverse is also true. The balance between courtiers and bushi is one of the things I'm most happy with in the beta.

Oh, they do? I never thought to check that. That's pretty awesome then. Also makes the Kuni having Kata instead of Shuji less weird, since previously non-martial people being martially-adept is already a big thing here, just in this case it's a shugenja instead of a courtier. And the Kuni learning to fight well but being awful in court is really appropriate anyway, even if them being uniquely awful there is still really amusing to me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirFozzie posted:

And I'm very jealous of those of you running the beta for the RPG, as I said, my group is 4E or bust grognards (and we don't have a game running right now anyway), I was thinking about doing a PbP or Discord game just to fill the void.

I would join if you did.

Which reminds me, on a tangent from courtiers being able to fight, is there any reason people whose starting outfits don't include a full daisho can't just have one anyway? I mean, lore-wise I think all samurai have one, so I don't see why a shugenja or courtier couldn't just... Go get it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirFozzie posted:

they can have it, but if they CARRY it, they're expected to use it in self defense. So, they keep it packed away in most cases.

Yeah, I remember that. Was just thinking, for the aforementioned martial courtier, or a Kuni perhaps. (Actually, tangent, why are Kuni one of the shugenja who don't get to pick a free weapon? They're the one shugenja family that actually wants to fight, but they only get their wakizashi and a dagger. Meanwhile others could have a freaking tetsubo if they wanted.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Beta email. Actual update coming soon.

quote:

Greetings, Legend of the Five Rings Open Beta Testers!

We’ve just put the finishing touches on the first update to the beta! According to our most recent survey, almost half of you still haven’t had a chance to put the system through its paces in play, so we hope you can get the beta on the table soon and try out the first wave of updates! This update addresses several issues you’ve already spotted and tweaks some of the mechanics to reinforce the themes of the setting while making the game more fun. You can find a summary of the changes later in this email!

We’re also excited to preview character creation options for our very first minor clan: the Mantis! Yoritomo’s fleets from the Islands of Silk and Spice led with a majority showing, with the Fox coming in second at 33% and the impoverished Suzume family at a mere 15%. (It’s okay, Suzume-san, at least you still have your yams!) Thank you to everyone who voted, and we’ll have some more polls for you to participate in going forward.

The Game of Character Creation

This week, we want the focus of your playtest feedback to be the character creation process. I’m one of those players who enjoys making new characters almost as much as I enjoy actually playing the game. I’ve learned better than to inflict my GM with ten-page character backstories (and I don’t have as much free time as I used to), but I still love to flesh out my characters’ relationships, histories, hopes, fears, strengths, and weaknesses, with the hopes that the GM will eventually highlight them during a session. In the campaigns that I’ve run as a GM, I’ve often handed out supplemental questionnaires to get my players thinking about these narrative elements for their character—and to help me create a campaign that’s truly driven by the characters. The Legend of the Five Rings RPG stood out because it’s had a questionnaire since the very first edition: the Game of Twenty Questions.

When I had to opportunity to design the new edition of the L5R RPG with Max, I wanted to bake these story choices into character creation from the very start. I was reviewing the old Game of Twenty Questions when I realized many of the answers had mechanical implications, although those mechanics were actually recorded during the steps of an entirely separate character creation process. They didn’t have to be separate, I thought. The Game of Twenty Questions could serve as the main vehicle of character creation—the questions could become prompts for defining both the narrative and mechanical elements of a character at the same time, so that they would be considered together.

In the fourth edition of Legend of the Five Rings RPG, the bulk of that separate character creation process included spending forty experience points on whatever the player liked. In theory, this allowed players to tailor their character to reflect what they wanted narratively, but in my experience, players (myself included!) tried to wring every last mechanical edge they could out of those 40XP. It’s the Law of the Instrument rearing its head: because mechanics were the tools we had to build our characters, we were thinking mechanically first. Often, I wrote my character backstory second, basing the details on the build I was able to create.

When designing the new edition, I didn’t want to feel as much a slave to the mechanics. So we made the decision to remove XP expenditure from the base process.

The other reason we moved away from the free-spend XP model was to make the game more approachable for new players. In the old editions, there were a lot of different ways players could spend that XP, and some were much more powerful mechanically than others. For players who have never played the game before, that’s a lot of choices to process all at once! Moreover, it’s hard to know precisely how you want to play your character, and what you should invest in, until you’ve tried the game and walked around in your character’s shoes for a while.

Now, we’ve tried to narrow the focus so that players are considering one aspect at a time. You aren’t filling up an entire scrap piece of paper calculating what this mechanical combination costs compared to another in terms of XP. Now, in one question the player is defining an element of their character that is represented by an advantage, something that provides the player with a concrete narrative hook for their character while at the same time giving them a mechanical way to stand out during play. In another question, they can focus on choosing an additional skill or not. And so on.

We’re eager to hear from you whether character creation is achieving that goal and the goals of your group, and what we can improve to make character creation more intuitive and story-rich. In this update, we’ve also included guidelines for how and when to bring back experience points to the character creation process for advanced players or particular campaign concepts. The characters you can build with the Twenty Questions method are designed to represent samurai who have just come out of their coming-of-age ceremony, their gempuku. Importantly, these options still build on the existing Game of Twenty Questions meant to marry narrative with mechanics.

Week 4 Beta Update

This week marks our first major update! We’ve made a number of updates, some of them larger than others. While many are small corrections and revisions, there are a few topics for which we made notable changes!

Strife and Unmasking
“Unmasking” is the new term for “outbursts,” and it functions in a slightly different way. We want people who were enjoying the outburst system to be able to play it almost exactly the same way—but we also want people who feel their samurai should be able to remain stoic to have that flexibility. As such, when a character’s strife exceeds their composure, they become compromised. While compromised, a character cannot keep dice with strife symbols.

Now, their player has a choice. They can try to find ways for their character to shed strife during this time (essentially the equivalent of the old “Shut Down” option). Or, they can choose for their character to unmask, dropping their facade briefly (in what was an outburst before) to express their emotions outwardly. They clear all their strife, and must resolve the narrative and mechanical effects of unmasking (which are slightly modified from prior outbrusts, but fill largely the same functions). This means that unmasking is always a choice, and if a player really feels it would be inappropriate for their character to show emotion at a given time, they don’t have to.

We hope that this system will have greater flexibility, helping to underscore player agency while still offering all the roleplaying cues and interesting mechanical interactions around emotions that others like about the previous outburst system!

Wounds become Fatigue
Based on the poll and a lengthy internal discussion, wounds are being re-themed as fatigue—reflecting exertion as a character grows more vulnerable to a hit that causes a serious injury (still represented by critical strikes). Mechanically, this is very similar, but it does open up certain thematic avenues—for instance, it makes more sense for characters to intentionally suffer fatigue to get extra effects, and also for a character to recover small amounts of fatigue over a short period of time with certain abilities.

Duels
Duel objectives have been reframed and reworked to better fit into the lore of the setting! This includes closer guidance on what constitutes an iaijutsu duel, but also various other forms of duels, including no-holds-barred battles between warriors, sparring bouts, and Taryu-Jiai, the supernatural contests fought between shugenja.

Stances
Several stances have received a bit of a retuning. In light of the modifications to strife and unmasking, we wanted shedding strife to be a bit slower during conflicts. As such, two stances have been somewhat overhauled:
Water stance now provides additional action that can only be used to perform an action that does not require a check. This could include taking a minor narrative action, drawing or stowing an item, moving further, or even catching your breath to heal a bit of strife or fatigue.
Air stance now increases the TN to hit you by half your school rank (rounded up). This means that it scales as you (and your enemies) grow stronger—which all other stances do, directly or in effect. Previously, it provided only a small benefit for high-rank characters, but now it provides a fairly static benefit across your character’s lifespan.
Iaijutsu Technique
Instead of being represented with a single technqiue, Iaijutsu has been split into two techniques, with a few more to come in the future. These techniques have been rebalanced to provide more benefit—they also are somewhat better based on some of the action economy changes that have been implemented (see below).

Action Economy Revisions
This set of alterations is subtle, but important. The previous version allowed very free movement and drawing/sheathing of weapons, but it did make abilities that improve weapon drawing /mobility somewhat weaker. However, this wasn’t the only model we had experimented with in Alpha. Thus, before the Beta gets too far along, we’d like to try another way of handling this aspect of the game.

In short, during a conflict, movement (beyond one range band) and weapon manipulation are more restricted, often requiring an action. However, the Water stance now grants the ability to perform an action without a check. Further, certain abilities help to mitigate these restrictions (such as Iaijutsu Cuts).

This is a change that has a fairly substantial effect at the table despite seeming potentially insignificant on reading (as compared to some rather obvious changes, like the update from outbursts to unmasking or the rewriting of duel objectives as dueling terms), so we ask that people pay close attention to it to make sure that it’s working well. If it becomes too restrictive in encounters, please let us know!

Thanks again for participating, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Katrina and Max
L5R RPG Development Team

Edit: For what it's worth, I like what I'm seeing here. Was disappointed that the old dueling didn't work for things like Taryu-Jiai, the new way unmasking works so you can avoid it if not narratively appropriate (while doing so still has teeth) is neat, and other things look good too. The design philosophy regarding character creation is something I can agree with as well.

Now they just need to give me the option to vote for the Centipede Clan in the next survey because I want to see them ASAP.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 25, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not getting into the honor system itself (it is a pretty rigid +/- thing and that's kind of dumb), but the clan bonuses and penalties to honor... Don't seem like that big of a deal? Like, yeah, they're a thing, but I don't see gaining/losing more/less honor from certain actions based on which clan you're from as a major issue that's stifling roleplaying or character concepts. Maybe I'm just underestimating how big a deal honor mechanically is or how often it should fluctuate, but, like, I don't see "you gain only half the points you normally would from being nice to people" as a reason to not play this hypothetical not-a-bastard Akodo, for example.

The thing that is tripping me up is, since this stuff is all based on your clan's perception and belief of how you should act, and to a lesser extent how other people expect a samurai of your clan to act, shouldn't your clan affect how you gain glory, not honor? Because honor is internal and personal and stuff, while glory comes from how others see you. Admittedly glory gains and losses don't map to the tenets of bushido as well since it's its own thing and not all bushido aspects are as glorious as others (giving a poor peasant your coat isn't going to get you much glory, even if it is an honorable thing to do), so mechanically it's easier to do as an honor thing, but still, it seems kind of odd to me.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 27, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperKlaus posted:

But I will beat that drum again in another post. Right now I wanna ask everyone about duels. What have duels been like at your L5R 5e tables? I'm looking over the duel rules, having not experienced one in the natural course of play yet, and I don't see how they reflect the classic "scene at the end of Kurosawa's Sanjuro" L5R Iaijutsu duel. You know, where the guys stare and focus and then BAM violent death in one stroke. What's your incentive, having won the right to go first maybe through bidding strife, to Center instead of hacking the other dude with an Attack?

People have mentioned seeing the updated rules already, which includes updated duel rules, but I haven't seen those yet. Am I missing where to find them? They weren't in the email and stuff. I'd like to offer my thoughts here but first I should probably know the current rules for this sort of thing instead of working off the old stuff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yawgmoth posted:

If having fun and playing optimally are at consistent odds, your game sucks. End of discussion. And if "play a stereotype" is the only way to be optimal, your game is boring as hell. I shouldn't have to pick between what is fun and what is useful; down that road lies groggy bullshit that has no place in late 90s gaming, much less 2017. It's a ridiculous Wick-ism to put all these "play the way I think you should or else" rules in. Like, if you wanna play "the clan stereotype but with one slight difference" then cool, go for it. But some of us want to play something else because a bloodthirsty phoenix or compassionate lion breeds inherent conflict and that conflict is compelling. If you can't imagine why it would be enjoyable to play such a character, I'd suggest you need to expand your horizons.

Okay, this seems really extreme. Like, I still don't see how "earns a bit more honor for some things, less for others" is a huge, character-destroying deal or whatever. It's arguably not necessary, and I still feel that acting according to your clan's ideals/the popular perception of your clan feels more like a glory thing than an honor one, but the idea that getting fewer points for a thing that might not even come up in multiple sessions is a huge punishment for not playing right or whatever seems a bit overblown to me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

I've been a distant fan of L5R for ages, reading up on the lore but never really having a chance to play. Now I finally found a table and I have zero idea on how to make a workable character. I was thinking of making a vaguely monk-ish, sleepy kakita duelist and I need to have it ready by tomorrow.

Any quick hints on what to pick/avoid? Not looking for any broken combos (But if you wanna share... *cough*), just not really eager to suck at what I should be good at.

Which edition? 4e? The 5e beta? One of the older things?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KittyEmpress posted:

Strife + (Opp or Success) are very common. And also are a big deal with explosions. As TNs go up, you will take more strife per check on average. So this will mean sometimes a shugenja has to choose between failing an invocation and blowing themselves but succeeding. It will come up semi regularly I'm sure, because I've gotten 3 strife on a a check to ensure successes... semi regularly while just being a bushi.

It turns out that the Isawa are actually the best shugenja because they have a bunch of Shiba Guardians hanging around them nullifying their strife so they don't blow themselves up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is making me wonder what the Moshi shugenja ability will be again. They specialize in Fire and Air magic, which have the two most disastrous backlashes (and are also noted for being super calm and such despite their choice of magic). Seems like a strife-nullifier or something like that would fit them rather well. I was thinking strife-to-successes for Fire/Air, but the Kuni already have that in a more limited capacity (when targeting known Shadowlands/Tainted targets), though if it was a once-per-scene thing that might balance it being more broad. I don't know.

Tangent, this makes the Kuni ability even more awesome in the limited situations where it applies. Not only are they amazing at destroying Tainted things, they're pretty much immune to spiritual backlash while doing so if they have at least two or three ranks, and spiritual backlash now has some serious bite. The kami favor the destruction of Jigoku's spawn, it seems.

Also, I still need people to play with, so if any online playtests or campaigns are starting up, I'd definitely be interested.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperKlaus posted:

Re: the RPG, I believe I have ironed out my Java program and it is probably correctly reporting success rates and strife generation for rolls. If anyone is curious.

Nice. I wouldn't mind a look at that sometime.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In RPG news, new beta email, and a preview of the Mirumoto Two Sword school. Shorter email this time, relatively speaking.

quote:

Greetings Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Open Beta Testers,

We’ve received a lot of great feedback on conflicts from your surveys! Overall, the surveys have indicated that there are several aspects of conflict where most respondents would like us to simplify, while there are others where the level of granularity and tactical choice is appropriate. This week, we are implementing several changes based on this feedback!

Assessment

A significant proportion of players and Game Masters alike reported that Assessment was the most complex part of conflicts, and so we have moved Assessment toward a more familiar structure for roleplaying games.

Assessment now formally begins with the GM describing the scene to the players. The players then have the opportunity to ask the GM questions about their environment and opposition (which might require a check, at the GM’s discretion, just like any other proposed task in the story). Then, instead of declaring an intention during this phase and making a check based around this intention, each player simply makes an Initiative check. They can still spend opportunity results from this check to add details to the scene, but there are no default opportunity uses unique to this check.

This is is a subtle distinction, but a significant one: players simply choose the stance they wish to begin the conflict in and then use the associated ring for determining Initiative, rather than having to reflect upon (and narrate) a lengthy assessment. If players do wish to get information beyond the GM’s description of the scene, the GM can allow them to make checks as normal (and as common sense allows). This is also a more familiar structure for most players (making a check for initiative rather than making a check for assessment that determines initiative).

Randomized initiative was something we scrutinized fairly carefully, as removing it would even further reduce lag time at the start of conflicts. However, we determined that entirely non-randomized initiative made many encounters too predictable.

Optional Rules for Range Bands on a Grid

These rules adapt the existing, abstract range band system for use on a traditional grid, offering a translation rubric for all current and future content in the game system.

Fatigue and Injury

The “wound system” is also receiving a major overhaul. In addition to a simplification of Table 6–5: Results of Critical Strikes by Severity, this update offers a reconciliation between the theme of fatigue accrued from attacks avoided and the mechanics.

In essence, damage is still dealt in the same manner and is still reduced by resistance. However, instead of suffering fatigue as a result of being struck, a character suffers fatigue to defend, thus preventing a critical strike. Character still become Incapacitated when their fatigue exceeds their endurance (renamed from resilience due to the noted confusion with “resistance”), at which point they can no longer defend, and must simply suffer critical strikes.

In keeping with the genre, characters can even spend a Void point to voluntarily opt not to defend before becoming incapacitated, tactically suffering a critical strike to get the chance to deliver a counterstrike of their own.

Various conditions, most notably Injured Body Part, have been reworked for simplicity. Injured Body Part is now the Wounded (Ring)/Gravely Wounded (Ring) conditions, which impose standardized penalties. While more granular penalties for injuries were perhaps more mechanically interesting, they also contributed considerably to the complexity of critical injuries, which in turn could make combat move more slowly. The new Wounded condition should still drive hard tactical choices in combat, often forcing characters to abandon their favored ring, but with less to remember in specific effects.

Concealable Quality

Some respondents have pointed out that knives and other light weapons are currently struggling to have a clear role in conflicts. As such, the Concealable quality is receiving a rework (and being removed from several of the more potent weapons that previously had it), allowing a character to draw a Concealable weapon more quickly.

Unmasking

Many players have noted that Unmasking in its current state is too easy a tradeoff. This is partly a result of the iterative nature of the Open Beta; when one aspect of the game changes, others may need to catch up, and the rippling consequences can take time to address.

While there will be a larger reckoning after the Open Beta is complete to make sure the document is coherent, for now, Unmasking is being updated to have simpler, more clearly defined costs. Its benefits, by contrast, are largely narrative, but with further guidance for GMs on how this might translate into the narrative.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing about the Isawa is, how do other shugenja compete with them? They have the best general-use ability for magic, and while it makes sense, it's somewhat hard to bring others up to that level when everyone else specializes more instead of just being good at magic.

The obvious route is to give them more specific abilities they can use more often than once per scene, but then you have the problem of their ability possibly not being relevant much of the time. For example, Kuni Purifiers are godlike at dealing with Tainted people and things from the Shadowlands, but when not doing so (which will likely be most of the time) they may as well not have an ability. Admittedly that's also a problem with the school's theme and focus itself (someone like the Moshi or the Agasha would probably be easier to write abilities for), but it still illustrates what I'm getting at. Though your idea about passive abilities could help there too perhaps.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 28, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the Kuni are awesome flavor-wise and I want to play one just because I think they're neat, but their niche is very specific. It's unfortunate; mechanically, there's no reason to play one outside of a Shadowlands campaign or be a shugenja who can punch people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, having your whole deal be Best Wizards really is hard to balance around. Having a strong trick in your schools element or at least an interesting ability that is unique to your school is really how it should be. I think this is why historically Asahina and Iuchi were interesting.

Yep. I'm wondering what we'll see for the other shugenja schools; so far we just have the Isawa, Kuni, and Iuchi. Respectively, they're well, the Isawa, overly focused, and somewhat weird (though not ineffective; their ability isn't as powerful as the Isawa one but they can benefit from it more often, which is nice), so it's hard to judge how shugenja schools will shake out overall. We really need to see a more "standard" shugenja school or two. (I really want to see the Moshi but I doubt that's happening for a while.)

quote:

Honestly I really like the Kuni School getting combat and not social powers is a really interesting and favorable choice. They live in a world where shugenja pretty much never physically fight anyone except shadowlands monsters.

Oh, yeah, it's appropriate, no doubt. It just has the issue that Kitty described above where, when not in combat with Shadowlands creatures, they're worse at magic than the Isawa and probably other shugenja who have a relevant ability to use, worse at physical combat than bushi, and worse at social stuff than... Everyone, because they're one of one or two schools that don't get shuji. (Them not getting shuji is also appropriate and amuses me greatly, but it does compound their issue of being good at nothing that doesn't involve the Shadowlands.) I guess they can use Tetsubo of Earth more effectively than the other shugenja, since they actually know how to fight and will probably be good at Earth magic anyway? Kind of neat, and probably worth investing in for most Kuni, but still.