Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Lemme put their thinking in the most :airquote:reasonable:airquote: terms: "Oh no they made her look like a "boy" and one of the other characters black, this show's clearly made by SJWs and thus it'll be bland and preachy and will only get praise by people who want to seem progressive and it'll drag the overall quality and standards of future animation down"

as you can see, still ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

It'd be pretty funny if the show stopped dead in its track to just eviscerate the alt right as a response to this, but I'm pretty sure that the guy who's not Dan Harmon is basically an anti-sjw youtuber who somehow works in television, so that's not gonna happen.

What makes you think Roiland's anti-SJW? (if it's the Union thing, that was Cartoon Brew twisting his words out of context)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

EVS and Guy Gilchrist team up when

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FutureFriend posted:

im the insanely normal 40+ year old man who cares deeply about muppet babies

but enough about godammit I already did a guy gilchrist joke

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

To change the subject:
for a few days there's been a thread on /co/ talking about Scans_Daily, and predictably, they were mostly making GBS threads on it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mr. Maltose posted:

Truly it is better to understand those who want to club minorities to death instead of just saying "gently caress you for wanting to club minorities to death actually" without considering their point of view.

you can do both, though yeah you shouldn't have to do the former

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Out of context, "there's a good chance that the Great Flood has its roots in a real life ancient, given similar legends from cultures around the globe" is actually pretty solid. But yeah, that logical conclusion wouldn't be "the bible's version of the events are right".

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/22/17381380/thundercats-roar-calarts-style-steven-universe

Summary: John K coined the phrase for a style of animation he doesn't like, and that style happens to be what is popular these days.

the thing is that the style John K described as "calarts" isn't even the style that people label as Calarts: the poster child of what he was talking about was The Iron Giant, while most people nowadays talk about stuff like Steven Universe and Adventure Time

basically people on /co/ and reddit went "wait a minute, Thurop Van Orman, Pendleton Ward, JG Quintel, Alex Hirsch, Pete Browngardt, Skyler Page, Pat McHale, and Daron Nefcy all went to Calarts, hmmmmmmm" even though there are non-calarts creators (like Rebecca Sugar and Ian Jones-Quartey)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

that image has it's origins in this meme, though a lot of variants miss the point of the meme

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

And when there's a show that comes out that the DO like (like The Loud House), they just make things weird, like all that bizarre suicide fanart

the popular 4chan boards are an abyss

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

It's literally the Frankfurt school conspiracy theory but with some words replaced. The JewsSJWs from this school are secretly colluding to destroy the west animation!

They use the exact same language when speaking about it. It's so pathetic. All their attempts to define what the "calarts" style even is just lead to them listing every cartoon they don't like, which all look wildly different and are mostly not made by anyone who's ever had anything to do with the California Design Institute for the Arts.

I remember one thread for this one pilot ended up derailing when this one guy came in and started talking about how it's actually Bauhaus and it's a very... strange read

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

and they want the older girls to gently caress the boy

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I never knew Brian Posehn wasn't just a voice actor

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

more specifically I didn't know he was a writer

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Nessus posted:

Has anyone informed this gentleman that his vision of a cop and a soldier who kill "bad guys" and take their stuff is, in fact, essentially a "far left" critique?

he's not the guy who came up with the idea, his little brother did

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

to be specific the kid was 5 when the comic was started at the very end of 2009. He'd be 12-13 now

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ian Flynn (the sonic comics guy) chimes in.

https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1036786092006158338
https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1036786093985869824
https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1036786095940399104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Archyduke posted:

What strikes me is his thing that "Social Justice proponents" hate people with autism. I've worked with autistic students and family members so I'm always touchy about people busting out lovely memes about it (a lot of asperger's jokes, the loving "reee" thing) and that kind of ableist poo poo almost always, it seems, comes from the right or from the kind of "apolitical" edgy kid that's on the road to drifting right.

I've actually noticed a disproportionate number of edgy internet fucks and those who supported gamergate who are on the spectrum. In fact old jokes about fedora tipping redditors (proto alt-right) was that they were r/atheism cringy spergs before the jokes shifted to them being r/mensrights misogynists. Hate movements thrive on recruiting those with a volatile mix of being entitled and being an outcast, and what better people to produce that combination than a white male with aspergers.

(note: I myself have aspergers)

• Locked thread