Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

David Heinrich posted:

Getting up in arms about one thing because it's easy to do so but shying away from the acknowledgement of other similar things has always bothered me in that sense. It's the classic picture of someone saying that it's disgusting that a clothing company could use child labor, or abuse the third world for profit, posted from an iPhone 7.

This veers very near the "no ethical consumption under Capitalism" or the even older "go over there (USSR/GDR) if you don't like it here". Criticising something doesn't mean you have to leave the system to do so. Expecting someone to either embrace every aspect of a system, regardless how bad or make all the stuff you use by yourself isn't a reasonable reaction. Denying yourself the means for spreading your message for some dubious moral high ground seems very shortsighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, they did seem to be able to hit the [EMERGENCY EJECT] button on this partnership pretty handily. You'd think that it wouldn't be so easy to call the whole thing off if it were really some tyrannical fiat from someone up high, especially if that someone has a reputation of being consistently bullheaded about those fiats.

Probably not a cheap emergency eject though, all the prepared poo poo is worthless, as is booked space and ad places, and I would be surprised if Northrop doesn't have a penalty clause in the contract. I hope at least the artists have already been paid.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This thread should also address the culture of sexual harassment by shitbirds like that one DC editor whose name I cannot remember for the life of me.

You probably mean Berganza, but it's pretty sad that the field of creeps in comics is big enough that I had think about who you might refer to.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

IUG posted:

This is from the Marvel thread, but what's lovely about Bunn? I just got the first issue of The Tick, but if there's something lovely, maybe I won't get the second issue.

His stuff is pretty average, not really bad, rarely something special. Really liked his Magneto before Sixis though (the one where he looked suspiciously like Bunn with his shaved head and killing white Supremacists...).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

So in light of the Berganza developments, my fellow retail friend who will go unnamed until they are ready to be public has made the first steps in filing a legal complaint against Scott Allie.

Allie's hairdo alone would be a reason.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RevKrule posted:

Weirdest, most comic, payoff I've ever heard of.

"I'm sorry one of our employees sexually assaulted and bit you, have a pallet of dead trees for free."

That's how it often is done. Only the pallet with dead trees feature President portraits. And a NDA.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

sticksy posted:

Termination with cause likely wouldn’t receive that. Hopefully.

I assume they made a deal 2012 when they kept him despite all the complaints about him, and if he hasn't done anything wrong since then (and if a company wants to find something they will) I wouldn't be surprised if it came with a big package of money to make the whole thing go away.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Metalshark posted:

Oof, this is quite the list: https://bookriot.com/2017/11/14/harassment-comics/

Thoughts about Peter David being on there?

That I think nothing of a publication that only presents 1/3 of a publicly available story in the name of (I unfortunately have to say it) outrage.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
There is no slippery slope that starts with Nazis getting fired and end with Communists getting fired. Communists get fired still. Women using birth control can get fired. Juggalos get fired. Firing Nazis is turn-around at best.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

The Boys Are Back In Town (wherein boys means old white guys).

But it isn't even that (for which I'm glad), the differences to pre-Legacy-pre-Secret-Empire-derail are minuscule, two months in. Which is good, because I enjoyed it (the last few years sans SE and some event books) quite a lot, but it's not exactly worth a new era sticker on the books.

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 18, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It was so open his public defense always was "but we control their license to make sure they are all of age!" He never disputed the parties taking place.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

pubic works project posted:

Lmfao that rear end in a top hat EVS blocked me too for posting a meaningless "cool story, shithead" to his threat to that reporter. What a shook rear end baby bitch.

He currently sees his livelihood threatened, of course he lashes out. If only a small part of the rumoured stuff get's t into the wider public he is toast. The alt-right media circus doesn't provide much for comic book shitheads, the money is in being a video game shithead or a British sounding racist and misogynist on YT.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

It's probably just local loving bias on my part, I grew up near their main headquarters, lot's of friends of the family worked there and I have a wide spread family so I usually fly at least twice a year in a boeing plan. I did a factory tour as a school trip at least once. Ford built tanks for the Nazis, but I don't yell at people driving a fiesta.

Probably. Northrop-Grumman does a poo poo ton of civil contracting too and builds a lot of stuff you find in civil aviation. They are just know as military contractor foremost - so it's bad. Boeing does basically the same, but are known for the civil stuff first, for their military stuff second - so that's ok for the public. Same with Mercedes-Benz. They make a lot of military stuff too - but they are known for their cars first and foremost, so nobody complained about the comics Marvel did for them. It all comes down to optics, but also content. It's also different if it is a comic about driving a fast car or flying a commercial airliner or becoming a contractor developing military weapon to save America (by killing people from afar).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

"Don't feed the trolls" has given us 4chan and actual nazis so I'm not sure it's been an effective policy. I think if you're in the public space and assholes are targeting you, you should go public.

"Ignore them" is indeed a loving useless method of dealing with them, we had all this poo poo already in the Twenties and Thirties. There have been books written about how to deal with Nazis that are older than the whole Internet.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Unmature posted:

What's up with Nick Spencer? I know he's written some bad comics, but is he lovely? I can never tell based on Twitter comments because all of those people are horrible.

I ask here because I saw people using the word "alt right"

He's a toothless "don't rock the boat" centrist, who fancies himself left-liberal after running as Republican a decade ago on local level. He wrote a lovely event, which the alt-right lapped up, ignoring all the parts that say "Facism is bad" in favour of a few panels where Cap says "Facism is great!" He made a toothless Cap book with Sam Wilson as Cap that tried to be progressive, but basically told "whelp, can't fight the system, even if it sucks, sorry", that mainly had Sam moping and doing nothing to change things. He has a really bad understanding of political theory (like thinking wanting to abolish governments and borders makes you neoliberal, not anarchist).

Decius fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 1, 2018

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Agent_grey posted:

Edit: Antartic Pess site says its sold out already.

Fleecing the alt-right for money is like shooting fish in barrel. Milo set up a fake sponsorship for white students that took in the money and never gave out any and they still love this grifter. Buttcoins are super popular with them, which should tell you all you need about the financial ability of that bunch.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Android Blues posted:

Most modern white nationalists are angry young men, and the power fantasy of the superhero appeals to angry young men. How often is, "you see, the protagonist is fighting to protect others!" a thin justification for 21 pages of bombastic war-making and might making right in comics? They see that subtext and respond to it.

Besides which, most superhero action is calcified against criminals, aliens, and robots - inhuman others or disruptors of the status quo. Fascism as an ideology has no time for criminals and is obsessed with public order. Spider-Man vs. the Shocker or the Avengers vs. Whirlwind doesn't challenge their worldview at all, and that's a lot of comics.

I mean, there are also plenty of comics that do, that focus on the plight of the marginalised, call out bigotry, and push a message of peace and diplomacy. I can't imagine most neo-nazis have a lot of time for those X-Men runs that have characters vocally confronting bigots. But even then, white supremacist narratives often paint white people as a persecuted minority being pushed out of their rightful inheritance, and a lot of comic book minority narratives are allegorical enough that they can see themselves in those too.

I think it was Stan Lee who said they made their heroes left-leaning and progressive, since the whole concept of superheroes is pretty right-wing in the first place.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

davidspackage posted:

God, that's a lot of boilerplate (Dark) horseshit.

"We take these issues seriously"

I'm sorry, does the rainbow flag in the Twitter icon not suffice? What else can a company do?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The "he was his friend, so he had to know" mindset is so loving stupid. You realise that abuse numbers are so extremely loving high that it is very, very likely one of your own friends or near acquaintances, co-workers or relatives abuses someone regularly? Without you ever knowing about. Abuse is so insidious, because the really bad abusers manage to make sure nobody will ever know and the victim will not say anything. The guy who slaps his wife in public is easy to see. The guy, who paranoid controls his wife's life, takes all her freedoms and self-worth, doesn't allow her to have friends on her own and knows exactly what to threaten her with until she will smile and be happy in public, isn't.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I don't think much about TLJ/Johnson, but really, it's not hard to understand that the whole look of Admiral Holdo, as unthreatening and unmilitary as possible was done by Johnson on purpose, to increase the perceived conflict and make the viewer side with Poe. If you had Admiral Cain from BSG, a hard rear end in perfect uniform, radiating authority not telling Poe what's up, the viewer might not have taken Poe's PoV. Having a soft-spoken, slight woman in a bland civilian dress do the same, makes you not accept her authority and thus makes you think "Poe is right!" and makes the whole plot and "surprise" possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

Non-committal "Can't everyone just get along" platitudes are about as close to doing nothing as one can get.

Turning every statement of support into a tribunal of purism isn't helpful at all though. If the first impulse is questioning or criticizing any sign of support immediately by either dismissing it as "not enough" "too late" or trying to poke holes into it helps absolutely nobody. It serves only to alienate people from a cause and reeks of the same gatekeeper geekiness tests women often have to endure if they want to join nerd circles.

• Locked thread