Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Trigger warning: not nice racist sounding words appear in images below

Go to Google Translate.

Set source language to English, destination language to Somali.

Here is what it is currently doing with the following input (I got these examples from another source off site):

"Ooga", "booga", and "nigga" themselves don't translate to anything.

I would say, either it got hacked, or, someone at Google is going to lose their job soon, if this blows up into a story.

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
A racist Google employee? I'm shocked!!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

so uh you spend a lot of your time typing ooga booga into google translate? have you considered reading a book or taking a walk outside op

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Tell us the story of how you found this little "easter egg", op

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
holy poo poo it's real lmao

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
This was posted to 4chan like, at least 6 years ago.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Figure this one out

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my nose is full of boogas u idiot

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Maybe we're the racists?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Is it possible that this could have happened by people abusing the "suggest an edit" link at the bottom right of the translation? It doesn't seem likely to me, as this appears to be too elaborate for that.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this is the second time today someone has called me a nigga with boogas in his nose. wtf is going on

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

this is the second time today someone has called me a nigga with boogas in his nose. wtf is going on

nigga use a tissue

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Orkin Mang posted:

Tani waa markii labaad ee qof qof iigu yeedhay nigga leh boogas sankiisa. wtf wuu socdaa

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Might have something to do with the "suggest an edit" function, op

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

HerraS posted:

so uh you spend a lot of your time typing ooga booga into google translate? have you considered reading a book or taking a walk outside op

It took years of me typing "ooga booga" into Google Translate several hours a day to finally catch them pulling something like this, I can finally die in peace now.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

myDad posted:

Maybe we're the racists?

Doesn't seem likely?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Breakfast Feud posted:

Seriously? WTF is going on? :aaa:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I don't know op you can type some random rear end garbage and it will translate into something. Maybe Somali is weird or their translator sucks

"loor fado iaf corga"

"treadmill rifle""

"loor fado iaf corga wako dodoi argo"

"You have a chance to start a new life"

type in some stuff, it tries to translate just about anything

Inept fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 7, 2017

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

what in the gently caress

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This is literally years old because retards on chansites have been laughing about it for ages

Google has to know about it which implies to me that the language is really like this

Edit:

Breakfast Feud posted:

Yeah

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lmao

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

so not only are we racist but we're also behind the times :smith:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You know, at least Pick never stealthbragged about speaking perfect somalian, op

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I doubt it's intentional. AFAIK Google translate works by machine learning with texts that have been translated by humans and tries to give you the gist of the translation based on data it has been trained on. Probably hasn't been fed much Somali language data and the algorithms really suck. I typed in some random pretend, funny sounding words and got this

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 7, 2017

Soaring Hawk
Sep 1, 2005
Perfection is our nature. When we cease to inhibit it, it will be so.
What the hell have you made me do, Google?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
we at google love are somalis

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
"nganigg bo bo bo le la lo la ga nig"
"Let's take a look"

"nigga nigga nigganigg bo bo bo le la lo la ga nig"
"Here are some tips to help you"

"nigga nigga nigganigg bo bo bo le la lo la nigga nig"
"Here are some of the hottest meats in my niece"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Sinding Johansson posted:

"Here are some of the hottest meats in my niece"

conveniently what I was going to Google anyway

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Maldoror posted:

Is it possible that this could have happened by people abusing the "suggest an edit" link at the bottom right of the translation? It doesn't seem likely to me, as this appears to be too elaborate for that.

Nah it's because Google used the Somali language wikipedia for their machine learning corpus.

gently caress around with it enough and it'll start saying "wiki wiki wikipedia wikipedia wolf niece" and poo poo like that.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
This would be funnier if I wasn't seriously :cripes: at the quantity and consistency of your examples.

Edit: And by "this" I mean the notion that you have evidence of racist intent.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

I doubt it's intentional. AFAIK Google translate works by machine learning with texts that have been translated by humans and tries to give you the gist of the translation based on data it has been trained on. Probably hasn't been fed much Somali language data and the algorithms really suck. I typed in some random pretend, funny sounding words and got this

"Woe to the Wolf, Fowls, and Scorpions!" is the title of my post-hardcore indie rock band's debut album.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
hosed up if true, which it is, so yeah pretty hosed up! :shrug:

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
lot of racists who don't appreciate the beautiful somali language itt

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

you used to be able to "correct" translations and say what they mean really easily. This at least used to be a major way that Google Translate would improve. I don't know if you can still do that but obviously a lot of channers got to Somali.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Novo posted:

This would be funnier if I wasn't seriously :cripes: at the quantity and consistency of your examples.

Edit: And by "this" I mean the notion that you have evidence of racist intent.

I know it's offensive but I didn't really know how else to show it. :gerty:

As I stated in the OP, I didn't make those examples up. This was posted on another forum and I just copied them. I actually did think this was some kind of big thing like a website hack, like someone deliberately put code in there to make it act this way.

But, I guess it's been like this for years? Google usually blocks things that could sound even remotely offensive from things like search suggestions, so I didn't believe they would let something like this sit around for years.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

:h: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
lmao you really doubled down on posting enough of these in hopes one of them is funny. Good job OP.

• Locked thread