Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I suppose that is a really accurate depiction of his writing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Brinner posted:

Any news on book 3?

he wrote it 10 years ago so any day now!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the reaction to the show from people who thought the books were an objectivist red pill was delightful

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

What's the fanfiction situation for Rothfuss' stuff?

When JK Rowling announced that there would be a three-year wait between Harry Potter 4 and 5 - instead of the usual one year - the fanfiction scene blew up because people needed that void filled because of all the threads that were left dangling after the biggest cliffhanger in the series up to that point occurred. I'm sure the size and scope of the ASOIF series (plus the TV show) has people writing all sorts of GRRM stuff. The one and only nerd convention I ever went to had a 90-minute long panel about what might happen in ASOIF and specifically noted fanfiction in it as proof that people were researching on the same page.

Does Rothfuss conjure up that same kind of devotion of fans wanting to fill his world with terrible stories?

the fandom for HP was more dominated by women than I imagine Kingkiller is. They're more likely to engage in transformative fandom which is what a lot of fanfiction and fanart falls under. Mostly because they've been underrepresented so they're more willing to disregard notions of canon to create content that they want to see.

Like with star wars the angry male nerds are still harassing the director and doing absurd poo poo, whereas in the transformative space people are doing "what if rey and kylo were pro gamers and fell in love?" fics.

pseudanonymous posted:

I like those books but the sex scenes seem kind of perfunctory and formulaic. Like there's one each book and woo boy here's the crazy future sex scene.

maybe i'm sheltered but i don't think i've read a mainstream fiction book with a fairly long description of virtual reality rimming before.