Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing that gets me about Rothfuss fandom is that there's just so little to be a fan of. He's written two novels and a smattering of short stories, all in the same world, and maintains a blog. I think he's done some podcasting? Plus there's the various Kickstarters he's participated in. And all of it is set in the same world.

It's not like there's dozens of books across multiple worlds with a score of memorable villains and protagonists. You either love Kvothe or you don't. You either love paying for a fancy deck of cards or you don't.

I just don't get it.

I'm honestly somewhat happy that Rothfuss has taken as long with book 3 as he has, because it's made me find other stuff to read and take a more critical look at the Kingkiller books themselves. There was a point where I would've called Rothfuss my favorite author, and I've luckily had 10 years now to reconsider that stance. Why opinion had been waning, especially on a reread of the books at one point, but Slow Regard just shattered any love I might've had for him and his writing style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pretty sure Kvothe is like the world's biggest beta, especially in NOTW.

God, this is probably a big reason, isn't it? A bunch of beta incels who identify with Kvothe's "struggle" to woo and impress Denna, and thinking privately that she's his and nobody else's because there's nobody else "good enough" for her. And he's the kid who will tell of his teacher and be applauded for it, and accidentally be a very good wizard who even teachers admire, and gets to drag his bully constantly, whose only crime initially was hazing a newbie. Goddamn, I think this only just dawned on me somehow.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

pospysyl posted:

As for why people actually like it, I'll guess that people might find the mechanical puzzle-solving clever ("How's Kvothe going to get out of this one?")

See, this was me for a time, more or less. I liked reading about clever uses of sympathy to solve whatever problem was happening. It was pretty neat, I think, and I really like how the system works. On a re-read, though, I realized just how much of the book I had either skimmed or just straight up skipped, including any chapters dealing with the in-fiction legends and whatnot. There's not much of the "clever" usage of sympathy, honestly. A lot of it ended up being incredibly boring, and really only the most extreme events had stuck with me at all.

I honestly hope book 3 is just all of Kvothe's cheating catching up with him, and literally every bridge around him being burnt, forcing him to turn to civilian life as Kote. Like, he can do whatever cool poo poo he's supposed to do, defeat or seal the Chandrian or whatever. But in the process, everyone realizes what an underhanded shithead he is and finally is finally just done with him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kchama posted:

... Are there actually any complex schemes or plans or cheating in the Kingkiller Chronicles? His most complex one is with the school treasurer and it makes very little sense. The rest is just "I hid in the back room and spied on question time!" or "I took a drug that made me not bleed."

It's mostly cheating out of consequences, like pospysyl said. He spied on the questions given, and in return got paid to attend the university that usually charges an arm and a leg to attend. He performed malfeasance on a teacher, but got off lightly because he was hand-wavingly given permission. He finds a way to sneak into the library that he's banned from, and his friends who work there and could be expelled along with him if he gets caught just go along with it. He breaks a student's arm with more malfeasance, and gets promoted for it. He tries to boil a woman alive from the inside, and is forgiven for it because a friend vouched for him and also he was tired and not sleeping well.

He's all but untouchable whenever money's not involved, and even then it always seems to work out.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I am going to read it, too, but to prove some non-specific point to myself. I might actually wait for the paperback to come out for this one.

If at least one of Kvothe, Bast, or Denna don't crumble to dust because of something Kvothe did by the end of the book, I am going to be sorely disappointed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Solice Kirsk posted:

So I decided I'm going to the King Killer party on Saturday.

Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything is okay.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Solice Kirsk posted:

We'll be playing Tak though. We always do towards the end of the night.

So you've played it before? Is it as beautiful as the box claims?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He hyped it from the beginning as a trilogy that he had already written.

I have been writing! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the pages I write, including all the pages I've written here. I'll try this one more time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Glad to have you back, Avshalom. Always glad to hear your insight on these books.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Nevvy Z posted:

My theory is that he had forgotten to have Kvothe actually kill a king and had to work that whole deal in. Woopsie

I never even though that he forgot to write a killed king. The fact that we're still not even sure what king it could be that Kvothe kills should make this more obvious, I guess.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It's going to be Master Ash, and it'll end up he's also one of the Chandrian, and he'll have to kill Denna to get to him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Lyon posted:

Rothfuss : Author :: Trump : President

#notmyuathor

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

A """famous""" """"""feminist"""""" """"""""""""writer"""""""""""".

On a different note, did anybody watch his monster show about the mothman? Was it any good, or was it as stupid as I figured it would be?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

TV Zombie posted:

Wait? What? Was this a FAQ for his blog? This makes no sense to do..

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/860538593890234371

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Even jivjov only claims to have read it dozens of times, not hundreds. It's honestly perplexing unless, like you said, he considers writing and proofreading as reading.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

my bony fealty posted:

The best three fantasy series written are The Lord of the Rings, Gormenghast, and The Book of the New Sun

and I haven't even come close to finishing Gormenghast, it's that good really

Here's a fun fact about that Buzzfeed list that Rothfuss is on: Lord of the Rings ranks 4th below both Kingkiller and Song of Ice and Fire, as well as a Sanderson series I'm not familiar with. I'm not even that deep into fantasy and even I know that's wrong.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Evil Fluffy posted:

Author is a hack? Check.
Happened to be in the right place at the right time? Check.
Pathetic amounts of wish fulfillment oozes from the books? Check.
Fanfic based on it has become an even bigger hit? ...not yet.

3 out of 4 is close enough.

It might not be a fan fiction, but it's almost certainly a D&D player character story. So that hits the mark close enough.

More like the old paolinimony.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was referring to Twilight fanfic (50 Shades of Grey) being bigger than what it was based on and that KKC doesn't have some lovely fanfic-turned-blockbuster yet. Not that KKC is lovely fanfic (it's just lovely).

Ah, crap, I forgot that Shades was Twilight fanfic, and not that Twilight was fanfic of something else. Sorry I ruined your joke by only half getting it.:downs:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought we were trying to avoid being Rothfuss or Rothfuss like.

Is there a woman in The Name of the Wind whose name is any more or less than 2 syllables?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ulmont posted:

"Felurian", "Netalia", "Laurian", "Carceret", "Emberlee", "Hetera", "Inyssa", "Meluan", "Meradin", and "Verainia", although none of them are that major a character. Rothfuss loves a 2 syllable name.

I recognize 2 of these names. I was not paying attention much in these books, I guess.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think they are also now friends with Pat as well. It was honestly a PA recommendation a decade ago that got me to read NotW in the first place, and now my opinions on both have changed drastically.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Without paying attention to the fact that you were quoting, I was going to joke that it was a picture of jivjov. And then it actually was. And posted with some pride in his collection of Star Wars books.

You know, I think he's a bit of a silly guy, who kinda gets hurt too easily if you insult a thing he like, but god bless him for finding a thing he loves, I guess.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

PJOmega posted:

JivJov, you didn't need to rereg to throw in your hot take.

Nah, jivjov wouldn't attack the thread, he just defends Rothfuss. I won't have you folks throwing shade at him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

eXXon posted:

And that’s how I’m going to feel when I watch the Hobbit.

I thought this was a parody or something, but holy poo poo this is actually something he wrote about The Hobbit. What in the whole hell? What's worse is that there were probably tons of dudes who agreed with him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I actually really liked Embassytown, but haven't been able to get into Mieville's other stuff, even though a lot of people tend to like it. I'm also someone who still technically likes the first Kingkiller book, so whatever, but I didn't think Embassytown was that bad. Maybe a little stupid in places, but not bad.

e: I guess I should prevent myself from being shoved down the jivjov hole by saying I understand there's a difference between liking something and it having any actual quality to it. I won't jump to defend it or anything, I just don't know what's so bad about it.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 24, 2018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

calandryll posted:

Don't forget him spending 2 years with pirates and then saying you're not interested in that part. But hey several chapters devoted to fairy sex. I don't know why that part pissed me off so much.

Hasn't "I did an interesting thing, but I won't bore you with the details" happened more than once in the books so far, too? It's so stupid.

Also, glad to have you back, Avshalom. You're honestly one of my favorite parts of these threads, and I hope you don't get banned again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm probably going to read it eventually,once my library or its ebook service have it to read, but I'm not looking forward to it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

HIJK posted:

What are the odds of ghostwriting being the solution here. I'd say fairly high

Not sure what you're talking about, the whole thing is written. The only reason it's been almost 7 years between releases is because

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The real ending is that Kvothe is going to be so good at both magic and sex that he destroys Denna and manages to obliterate any trace of her throughout the world. Everyone who actually managed to know who she was will forget she ever existed, and any action Kvothe took for her benefit is retroactively erased. Master Ash is the public face of whatever Chandrian member needs to discretely but publicly control fate, and the whole thing has been an elaborate plan to not only eliminate the Edema Ruh, but also completely discredit the one that managed to survive before killing him themselves. They're letting him tell this story so that the Chronicler can research its veracity and find literally nothing supporting what he's said, and he publishes instead a book of lies. Broken and defeated, Kvothe's bar is burnt down with him inside it, and Bast gets whatever was in that wooden chest in payment from the Chandrian for keeping Kvothe tied to that location for so long. Everyone is happy that Kvothe is dead, and learns to live alongside the spider things.

The movie's going to be successful regardless, just from word of mouth, and the fact that LMM is signed on for the TV series, at least, but probably not as successful as Lionsgate thinks. The show will get some traction, and there'll be some decent enough action pieces in some episodes, but I don't even know that they'll reach the University by the end of the first episode, which would really just be awful. When they reach a point that an entire episode is dedicated to Kvothe loving a fairy and talking to a tree, and then another to teaching ninjas how sex works, will probably be the breaking point for most people. They'll nominally finish the Wise Man's Fear story, but probably not get renewed for Doors of Stone.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

true leftist posted:

killing me shitly with his dong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I don't know what it is that compels you to post in this thread with every rereg, but I want you to know that I really appreciate it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Benson Cunningham posted:

I can't imagine Brandon Sanderson ever feeling confident in the presence of a naked woman.

The more I hear about his books, the more I feel like I'd really relate to them. Except for the rape.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Karnegal posted:

- He goes after Devi since she had a vial of his blood. He does this in an incredibly stupid way that is contrived solely to create a new plot hook where he loses his source of loans and we get to do Kvothe needs money again. I want to take an aside here to say that if you read a fantasy novel and realize that the author probably has an excel doc of their main character's finances, it's probably going to be a garbage book because they're just writing a romanticized version of their D&D character.
- Kvothe and pals execute a Saturday morning cartoon level plot to get Ambrose back which succeeds. This is pretty much the thrust of the whole first section of the book: Ambrose is a bad guy. Kvothe defeats Ambrose because he is smart and good and Ambrose is a meany.

This is really the only thing I remember from that book outside of the third of it that I had to skim through because it was flowery descriptions of excellent loving. This is honestly where my opinion of it started to shift into the negative after liking the first book, because the whole thing with Devi is easily the stupidest thing he does for the most contrived reason, and then it's basically hand-waved away within a chapter. He tries to boil a woman alive from the inside using sinister magic, on the flimsiest of premises, and the only reason she didn't get boiled is because she's a better magician than him. Then someone puts in a good word for him, and Devi is just like "Oh, well then, you were being bullied by Ambrose, it makes sense that you would try to boil my blood if that's the case. Let me help you in your wacky caper."

Devi was my favorite character basically right up until that point, where even an idiot like me could start to see real flaws in this dumb fuckin' story. The story just basically started to unravel for me after that, and then the rest of the book was dedicated to loving.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

HIJK posted:

Basically Rothfuss treats music like rolling a d20 and your proficiency in music is determined by what number you roll when you reach the skill check. Kvothe is his Gary Stu self insert so of course he's going to roll natural 20s every time.

Except for any persuasion checks involving money or Denna.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Hey, I know I've struggled to get the 3rd book in this series released, but don't worry, it won't be the last book I struggle to release!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
My uncle does editing for DAW books and he got me an advance copy and I read it and it's really good you won't believe what hijinks Kvothe is up to in this one boy howdy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I wonder how good Morty's going to gently caress the space fairy they meet before they get to the planet of Fuckos, the aliens that love to gently caress.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I wonder how many talents it would be to buy a jpeg of a spaceship.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Butt, buckaroo.

I hope to achieve this level one day. I'm just a butt bud right now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
He says he has, but it's been getting edited for a decade now and I guess they still, after all this time, can't make a decent story out of what he's written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Negotiating the Price of a Butt Pounding in a Region that Does Not Accept Commonwealth Currency