Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

This thread is like the written form of that pretentious douche from Good Will Hunting that gets slammed on by Matt Damon. Biggest circle jerk ever with no redeeming discussion on a bad book. Thread should be closed and stop taking up TBB space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

I picked up the Lies of Locke Lamora because I was touristing, kinda remembered the name but not the context, and it was cheap.

Got a little over halfway through it when my roommate saw it and asked me what I thought about it; he'd kinda remembered enjoying the audio book.

I replied that it was all right so far but I didn't think it would hold up to scrutiny.

He went out, I reheated some lunch, and I sat down to read. Except my stupid brain cells got activated and instead of reading I ended up writing a page of notes about why the book was bad. Now I'm not sure I can finish it, and I wanted some comfort-food reading.

I blame this thread for that. Bravest of the Lamps in particular.

Good news for you (and me) then, BotL hopefully will never be back since he got banned.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Since BotL is in another month long time out should we take some time to talk about how good the prose is in these books? We might be able to make him burst a blood vessel in his eye if he's still browsing.

I enjoy reading the Kingkiller Chronicle books so that must mean they are well written.

Am I doing this right? You think he’s slamming his keyboard in rage right now?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

“You would have book 3 by now, had I started 10 years earlier.”

So we’re guaranteed to see book 3 by 2028 is what he’s saying. We’ll see...

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I was trying to be nice earlier and not really get into the issue, but I genuinely do not understand how someone can be so averse to thought that friggin' A Wizard of Earthsea is a more intimidating undertaking than a doorstop like Oathbringer. Le Guin is hardly a demanding author, but 1,248 pages of Sanderson is apparently a safer bet for "a good time" because there isn't even the threat of having to engage with any ideas of substance.

I personally like longer books and having to invest more time to read them. Why? I don’t quite know the answer to that. If Le Guin is ~200 pages, it wouldn’t hold my interest long enough to be worth it, regardless of the quality.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

Do the first two hundred pages of a long book not hold your interest? You could just read it six times in a row and probably get the same experience.

To me, if a story can be told in only two hundred pages, there isn’t enough build up and engaging elements to be of interest.

BananaNutkins posted:

There's a bit of masochism in most readers who love epic fantasy. No one sane will admit to loving every part of the Wheel of Time. It's a journey full of memorable suffering, like the Camino de Santigo.

Also this.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Karnegal posted:

Do you read anything other than genre fiction? If not, maybe put genre fiction aside for a bit and go read some literature because this is not a healthy position to take. It's like saying that a film can't hold your interest, but what you really need is a 12-season CW run.

I do enjoy Supernatural even if the writing sucks 😆

I’ll go back to lurking now, since I’m obviously upsetting you.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm... Roger Stoooone?

Going with the recent ban, I’d say pretty accurate.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Kchama posted:

Paolini's big advantage is that the marketing was YOUNGEST AUTHOR EVER and hyped him up even though while he was indeed good for a 15 year old (when he begin writing), he was just mediocre for 19 or whatever age he was when all of it was getting released.

But it was a hook and got people buying the first book. And like Dresden Files, once a lot of people buy the first book they'll feel required to buy the rest out of sunk cost fallacy.

Stop stalking me.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Kchama posted:

Sorry but I haven't even read your later books so you're safe, Paolini.

I at least have the excuse my dad bought the first two books for me. The last two were completely on me.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

hallelujah posted:

like every other goon i'm writing multiple sff novels, and sometimes i plot elaborate scenarios in my head where rothfuss tries to harass me at a convention and i publically defeat him with my claws and fangs

Do all the women swoon and want to do you afterwards?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

What alt account did Pat post this from?

I think it’s BotL making his triumphant return.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Man orders a pizza. Tells pizza delivery guy he has writer's block. Pizza delivery guy says, "Treatment is simple. Greatest book ever written is The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Read it, you'll get inspiration." Man bursts into tears: "But pizza delivery guy... I am Patrick Rothfuss."

The kicker is, he never actually read his own book. He just wrote from one idea to the next and then decided one day he was done.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Ccs posted:

Even Martin wrote several hundred pages of Winds of Winter in the past year.

:chloe:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

PJOmega posted:

I guess the benefit here is that his True Believers are turning an overrated milquetoast genre fiction writer into their messiah when otherwise there are an infinite number of other hucksters who are more dangerous in deed or doctrine. They'd find something to worship, and this at least is mostly harmless.

And given the checklist of background that makes most people fall into male protag high fantasy (atheist, male, etc) obsessing over 2.5 books is better than going down the lobster hole.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Thank god, I read the right book.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh yeah, I was kinda combining two different things there. The metal toxicity was just the strongest example I could think of where Sanderson introduces a problem and solves it in the same breath.

I don’t think he introduces the problem so much as understanding anyone that reads it is going to say “well aren’t they going to be poisoned?” and making sure the reader immediately knows this isn’t something to be caught up on. He could have just as easily come up with a system where eating a certain fruit or leaf gave you powers and avoided the toxicity altogether.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

So many new posts! Is he finally de- ...awwwww.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Everyone just wants to know how he defeats the tree of inevitability. It’s a cool concept and such a waste in this crap series

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Don’t worry he stole it from the Phillip K Dick

What book of Dick’s has that? Not really familiar with his work.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

“vast wealth”

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

What garbage whiskey and vodka are you drinking that putting it in the freezer makes it jello-like?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Was this game about Patrick Rothfuss’ career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Kchama posted:

He was also doing the whole "C... Can I write it as a series of bullet points, guys?" thing like a month or two ago, which from any one else might be a joke but from him probably isn't so much.

I’d take bullet points at this point and create the rest of the story, containing them, in my head.