Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is the Slow Regard of Silent Things...worth reading if you've read the other two books and are waiting for the third book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Rothfuss on the writing process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j61o_ow86j0&t=518s

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I'm wondering if he planned out the story to be a trilogy originally or just made the first book, saw that it was financially(if not critically) successful and tried to continue from there, and said it was a trilogy just to say something about his work.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

pakman posted:

I found the one where he talks about feminism, but I don't think it's the one of which I was thinking. He basically called the internet prudes or something.

Please link that. I'm curious to read it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I find myself shocked at the lengthy reviews of both books but then he continues his review of Eloise after calling her just a little bitch with more words that just hurt my soul.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Now I really wish I had picked up a signed copy of TNOTW at my local BN so I could scribble over the signature myself.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Remember when he responded to himself asking himself how many times he's read his own book?

Wait? What? Was this a FAQ for his blog? This makes no sense to do..

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I do wonder how he got his book deal in the first place...

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

If the Kingkiller Duo is on top of Fantasy Books list, what are some good reads on that same list? Looking to read something new.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Man, I came into this thread hoping that the new posts was an indication of the third book coming out.

Are there any recommendations for good fictional books with fake history?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Lies. I won't believe the book will be finished until I hold it in my cold, dead hands.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I'm really hoping that in the third book, Kvothe will finish telling his story and then go out to deal with the menacing (?) creatures near his tavern and then gets killed. I want the story within the story to end, so we can go back to the real story.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

If we wait 100 years, this will be considered literature too. The only difference between literature and genre fiction is age.

I must try to live long enough to see a high school/college course teaching classic literature like the twilight books and this series.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Please just write, Patrick.....

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Man...when did the world hate green colored clothing?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I'm glad he got the help he needed to sort himself out mentally.

I still wish we got that third book by now.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

That reply tweet gave me chills.

I keep hoping for that third book whenever there are new posts in here...cotdamnit.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Did BOTL break down Rothfuss' side book "The Slow Regard of Silent Things"?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Are there any good self-contained fantasy books?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How did he blow off Lin Manuel Miranda?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

There were no details about the anthology in terms of what was good about it except it had some good stories.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Is he still teaching? That could explain why he has so little time.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

That introduction was supposed to be for someone else and their work but he made it so much about himself.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I wonder if it a lot of the anger with the series would be better if Rothfuss just announced that there would be an additional book to the trilogy to tie up loose ends.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Isn't Rothfuss in a relationship? That type of behavior...ugh.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Does signing other people's books a habit he picked up from someone else,perhaps?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

pentyne posted:

Does this thread have the posting where someone talked about how Rothfuss torches bridges and personal networking because of his ego and attitude? Like they implied that Rothfuss was dismissive and disrespectful to LMM during meetings about the Kingkiller adaption.

Yes.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best thing he's written was the Bast short story.

Is that available in any of the books?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think I hate him so so much.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I'm not sure I understand what french scenes are, still. Also why not start off your story with french scenes? Why not write your story from the beginning with french scenes instead of having regular scenes and then transition into french scenes?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Genuinely despairing at the number of people giving this book low reviews. I'm convinced that many of them must be trolls, and the rest are simply, not meaning to cause offence, incapable of appreciating what makes a good piece of literature. The majority of these negative comments cite 'the annoying, implausible main character' as the main cause of their displeasure - let me draw your attention to Achilles of the Iliad (which, by the way, is arguably the greatest piece of literary fiction to have been composed), to the eponymous hero of the Harry Potter series (far and away the best-selling book series of all time - and little wonder, it's great!), to Shakespeare's Hamlet, protagonist of one of the greatest plays that will ever be written: the best heroes throughout the history of literature are balanced by their flaws and their assets, as Kvothe so demonstrably is. This book is a skilfully composed amalgam of several distinct genres of fiction - the Epic, the bildungsroman, the romance - and as such, fails in no respect to appeal to all types of avid reader. Whether you seek a sentimental tale of love and loss, a thrilling journey of toil and hardship, or a provocative fable with deeper moral implications, this novel has facets which should appeal to you. Most striking to me personally are the honesty of Rothfuss' characterisation and the beauty of his prose. Having read a vast quantity of fiction, from dozens of esteemed authors spanning millennia, I can categorically say that this is one of the best books I have ever had the joy of reading, and one with uncommonly high rereadability; indeed, I feel I gain more pleasure from this book with each subsequent reading, as I perceive more about the inner workings of the characters, the subtleties of the plot, and the deeper nuances and themes of the text as a whole. I genuinely believe that those who have given this book 1-star reviews should have their opinions nullified - the only explanation is that they have misunderstood the text entirely, and as such their misguided observations do not reflect the true brilliance that Patrick Rothfuss has achieved here.

What alt account did Pat post this from?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Finishing the trilogy? no chance.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe he just has those boxes from hoarding and they are around his room for easy reachable snacking. His answer about wanting a grand gesture for the release of the third book rubbed me the wrong way. You've had a decade to write the third book, your audience just wants some news about the book.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe he has or is trying to gain a Cheerios sponsorship for whatever he does..

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

One issue that I have with the stories is that Kvothe is just telling his story to the chronicler and that he still might have to deal with the monsters that are outside his tavern.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It's kind of amazing how little Kvothe achieved to be this supposedly legendary outlaw. He, uh, helped a mayor get laid, killed a nonthreatening not a dragon by getting it super high, didn't get anywhere with Denna, banged some women with low standards, and supposedly made out with the sex goddess in a way no one can prove or disprove.

Maybe this is just the tip of the iceberg and we will really get to the awesome part of his legacy in the next/last book.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe Rohtfuss' silence on social media means he is furiously trying to work on the next book like a student on the night before a 22 page paper is due.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

lol nvm then.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Having his publisher openly complain about a lack of work has sent Rothfuss scurrying into the dark.

No Twitch streams, no blog updates, no tweets, no Rick and Morty comics, no DnD in front of a fawning crowd.

It must be killing him on the inside.

I'm hoping that this has lead him to do some writing but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I want him to just finish his "trilogy".