Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

So Good at Getting Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt that My Own Butt Doesn't Believe It's My First Time Being Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

He's implied to have been a sexpest to the moneylender too, but we don't know anything specific about it. This detail is introduced solely as an excuse to get her to help Kvothe again even though Kvothe flipped out and tried to kill her for no reason a chapter beforehand.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 21, 2022

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My favorite part will always be Kvothe deciding to murder a bunch of people for shoplifting an ale but it's okay because later he discovers they're rapists.

My second-favorite part is him avoiding being killed by a succubus by being so good at doing the sex that she refuses to believe he's a virgin.

My third-favorite part is him deciding one morning to not be a street urchin anymore and bootstrapping himself out of it in the span of half an hour.

My fourth-favorite part is the great offscreen pirate adventure forcing him to discard his inventory like it's the start of a new Metroid sequel.

My fifth-favorite part is the complete text of the Slow Regard of Silent Things.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The inquisition's proximity to the magic school represents Rothfuss's experiences going to a liberal university in the bible belt.

The super rich neighboring country where they don't ever use magic represents Rothfuss's experiences visiting Germany, where the locals despise electricity.

The Fae realm represents Canada, where Rothfuss's super hot girlfriend is.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I heard that Rothfuss is so good at sex that his dick is considered a charity, and he has made generous donations to many hot women,

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Man orders a pizza. Tells pizza delivery guy he has writer's block. Pizza delivery guy says, "Treatment is simple. Greatest book ever written is The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Read it, you'll get inspiration." Man bursts into tears: "But pizza delivery guy... I am Patrick Rothfuss."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Willeh posted:

No you see, a goddess taught him how to gently caress so he was really good at it :jerkbag:

No, he was already the best at gently caress before he met the goddess, he was so amazing he was the only person who didn't die from her loving and she didn't believe he was a virgin because he was just that amazing

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Parts one and two of the trilogy had words, but it looks like the series is ending up with a silence in part three.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Patware posted:

btw would love to watch winnie the pooh just absolutely clean out a bar

He's doing that a lot in hong kong atm

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

pseudanonymous posted:

I work at a charitable organization. I am the controller. I prepare the 990. I communicate with our granters. I also communicate with our sub-grantees. Worldbuilders is a joke. They claim that they do not report the funds they raise that are passed on to HI. This is to avoid revealing how small those funds are.

It's certainly possible that WI has been useful or raised significant funds in the past, but currently, it appears to be a vehicle for Rothfuss to profit off of, both personally in a financial sense, and also giving him prestige and a store to sell his friends products in, and thus enhance his career.

Having an indirect rate of 78% is pretty high. The industry standard rate is between 10-15%. I.e. if I contacted a funder and told them I wanted them to give my organization a grant, and our expected indirect rate was 78%, they would laugh at me. Our indirect rate is around 13.5% (our NICRA with DoL is 13.% but I think that won't be accurate this year due to emergency Corona virus funding grants we've been asked to administer).

It's not the Trump charity, but it's certainly not a charitable organization in the way that most charitable orgs are charitable at this point.

If there was a local restaurant that gave 10% of their gross receipts to charity, people would say “wow, what a nice, altruistic thing to do. I want to support that company.” They wouldn’t be saying “you used 90% of your money to pay your employees and your bills, you capitalist pig.”

Some people might be upset at the nonprofit form that Worldbuilders took. “They should be a S Corp or a partnership” for “reasons,” they might say. But why? It doesn’t have profits. It should be organized as a nonprofit, it’s the only corporate form that makes sense.

Some people might be upset at the branding. “It’s not really a charity,” they might say. But you get to buy cool stuff and you get to do it in a way that some of your money goes to people that need it. Just because it’s not wholly altruistic doesn’t mean it’s evil. Not every nonprofit can be the Red Cross or UNICEF.

And if you still don’t like it, then...don’t buy stuff. You have agency.

I think people that pick battles with Worldbuilders need to pick different battles. Or better yet, don’t pick any battles. Just don’t battle.

What would you prefer WB to do? Just sell the stuff for profit?

Or not exist at all?

Or something else?

WB doesn’t try to pass itself off as anything else than what it is. So what do you want them to do differently?

reddit is dumb

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rime posted:

Wasn't the thread consensus on this scene that it was written before the rest of the novel and hamfistedly reinserted afterwards, because the characterization is completely at odds with the rest of the writing?

You're thinking of the time Kvothe killed the bandits (who were disguised as Edema Ruh but Kvothe could tell they were fakes and child sex traffickers because they shoplifted a beer), Terror Sweat is talking about the time Kvothe killed the bandits (who were robbing tax collectors and were later retroactively mentioned to be lead by a Chandrian for no particular reason).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"The middle name of the trafficked little girl he rescued was Princess, and the real last name of the fake Ruh was Barrowking (a common Vintian and distinctly non-Ruh name), so you see, technically,"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

there's no such thing as angels. you imbecile. you loving moron. i slew a perfectly ordinary glowing winged humanoid divine messenger, the common anglus

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Pat's excited about more Fae in DoS, "that's good poo poo".

rothfuss, finally getting inspiration to start writing DoS: "what if gvothe hosed felurian's hotter sister"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

can't wait for him to launch his own line, Tacky: A Beautiful Game Table

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kvothe thinks about how the child sex slave looks really hot and just like the girl he wants to bang, then caresses her while she fails to resist because he drugged her posted:

In fifteen minutes she was asleep. I covered the two of them with a blanket and watched their faces.
In sleep they were even more beautiful than before. I reached out to brush a strand of hair from Krin’s
cheek. To my surprise, she opened her eyes and stared at me. Not the marble stare she had given me
before, she looked at me with the dark eyes of a young Denna.

I froze with my hand on her cheek. We watched each other for a second. Then her eyes drew closed
again. I couldn’t tell if it was the drug pulling her under, or her own will surrendering to sleep.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kchama posted:

"Why use one word when you can use fifty incoherent ones" sums up Rothfuss pretty good.

His new policy is "Why use one word when you can use zero"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ulmont posted:

In the Bujold universe in question, children are commonly gestated in vats and opening is referred to at least once as decanting.

That's from Brave New World.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ulmont posted:

Did Huxley use the decant term? It's been a while.

"Decanted" is the standard term used throughout BNW, they use it the way we would use "born".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How about the part where Kvothe gently caresses the child sex slave while thinking about how hot she is and how much she looks just like Denna and she struggles to resist but fails because she's drugged

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

eXXon posted:

Wait, who and when was this?

It's from the Fake Ruh segment, after he's poisoned the caravan and drugged the trafficked girls but before he's gone and slain the Impostor Romani:

quote:

In fifteen minutes she was asleep. I covered the two of them with a blanket and watched their faces.
In sleep they were even more beautiful than before. I reached out to brush a strand of hair from Krin’s
cheek. To my surprise, she opened her eyes and stared at me. Not the marble stare she had given me
before, she looked at me with the dark eyes of a young Denna.

I froze with my hand on her cheek. We watched each other for a second. Then her eyes drew closed
again. I couldn’t tell if it was the drug pulling her under, or her own will surrendering to sleep.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

M_Gargantua posted:

For the audience just a quick reminder racism and misogyny and various shades of transphobia and general toxicity are still a huge problem in modern publishing

But BananaNutkins assured me that racism in the publishing industry is over because Barack Obama had a book published

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

All I know is that I get bombarded by enough attack helicopter poo poo that I don't have the time or the will to look closely at each individual one and see which ones are subversive under the surface.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is this going to be about her books or the worthless wasteland of Twitter?

It's going to be about Octavia Butler's posting on twitter

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

eXXon posted:

You see, he uses hissomeone else's herbal medicine knowledge to earn the nickname Kvothe the Bloodless without literally lacking blood. The other legends about him? Yeah they actually happened exactly as described.

Um excuse me but he also didn't slay a dragon. No, that would be some silly fantasy legend stuff.

Okay, yes, he did slay an enormous fire-breathing iron-scaled lizard, but it didn't come from the dragon region of Vint, so technically it's only a sparkling draccus.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

actually Kvothe is really cool when he totally owns Ambrose in a really cool and clever and smart and ownful way

quote:

He brought out his purse and shook it. “How much do you want?”

“Five talents,” I said.

He stared at me, frozen in the act of opening his purse. It was an outrageous price. A few of the spectators nudged each other with their elbows, obviously hoping I’d somehow swindle Ambrose into paying several times what my slot was actually worth.

“I’m sorry,” I asked. “Do you need that converted?” It was a well-known fact that Ambrose had botched the arithmetic portion of his admissions last term.

“Five is ridiculous,” he said. “You’d be lucky to get one this late in the day.”

I forced a careless shrug. “I’d settle for four.”

“You’ll settle for one,” Ambrose insisted. “I’m not an idiot.”

I took a deep breath, let it out again, resigned. “I don’t suppose I could get you to go as high as…one and four?” I asked, disgusted by how plaintive my voice sounded.

Ambrose smiled like a shark. “I tell you what,” he said magnanimously. “I’ll give you one and three. I’m not above a little charity now and again.”

“Thank you sir,” I said meekly. “It’s much appreciated.” I could sense the crowd’s disappointment as I rolled over like a dog for Ambrose’s money.

“Don’t mention it,” Ambrose said smugly. “Always a pleasure to help out the needy.”

“In Vintish coin, that’ll be two nobles, six bits, two pennies, and four shims.”

“I can do my own conversion,” he snapped. “I’ve traveled the world with my father’s retinue since I was a boy. I know how money spends.”

“Of course you do.” I ducked my head. “Silly of me.” I looked up curiously. “You’ve been to Modeg then?”

“Of course,” he said absentmindedly as he proceeded to dig through his purse, pulling out an assortment of coins. “I’ve actually been to high court in Cershaen. Twice.”

“Is it true that the Modegan nobility regard haggling as a contemptible activity for those of any highborn station?” I asked innocently. “I heard that they consider it a sure sign that the person is either possessed of low blood or fallen on truly desperate times….”

Ambrose looked up at me, frozen halfway through the act of digging coins out of his purse. His eyes narrowed.

“Because if that’s true, it’s terribly kind of you to come down to my level just for the fun of a little bargain.” I grinned at him. “We Ruh love to dicker.” There was a murmur of laughter from the crowd around us. It had grown to several dozen people at this point.

“That’s not it at all,” Ambrose said.

My face became a mask of concern. “Oh, I’m sorry, m’lord. I had no idea you’d come on hard times….” I took several steps toward him, holding out my admissions tile. “Here, you can have it for just ha’penny. I’m not above a little charity myself.” I stood directly in front of him, holding out the tile. “Please, I insist, it’s always a pleasure to help the needy.”

Ambrose glared furiously. “Keep it and choke,” he hissed at me in a low voice. “And remember this when you’re eating beans and washing in the river. I’ll still be here the day you leave with nothing but your hands in your pockets.” He turned and left, the very picture of affronted dignity.

There was a smattering of applause from the surrounding crowd. I took flourishing bows in all directions.

Literally "and then everyone stood up and clapped".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The one thing I remember particularly finding interesting at the time were the snippets of stories we get about what happened in the distant past. The implication seemed to be that the arrested storyteller's story about Lanre, the fantasy-bible's story of the life of fantasy-Jesus, the children's fairy tale about the boy who fell in love with the moon and stole it, etc were all meant to be retellings of the same historical event, but viewed through very different lenses and corrupted over time in different ways and with different degrees of literal-historicalness-versus-adaptation. If that had been done well, I could see myself getting really into the piecing the truth together from several contradictory narratives with various levels of distortion.

But there's only a few of those to work with, and there's no actual worldbuilding on which to base any theories or interpretations of them beyond "Skarpi's version is the literal truth and Kvothe was right to call Denna a stupid whore for writing a song where Lanre's not pure evil", and that's only like ten pages out of two thousand, and Rothfuss has no actual idea how myths and stories evolve over time to do it right.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kchama posted:

This is the same Rothfuss who came up with that stupid-rear end pointless money-making scheme for Kvothe that I'd probably get a headache trying to explain because while it is dumb and simple it doesn't really make any sense why he even needs to do it.

That scheme makes absolutely no sense. The setup:

1) Uncle Mayor has agreed to remotely pay Kvothe's tuition every semester.
2) Your tuition goes up if you fail your exams.
3) Kvothe wants to steal from Uncle Mayor because Kvothe is a dick.

Kvothe's agreement with the school bursar:

4) Kvothe will intentionally fail his exams to drive up his own tuition (and thus the amount Uncle Mayor pays).
5) In exchange, the bursar will secretly kickback to Kvothe some of the excess tuition that wouldn't have otherwise be paid.

Which... doesn't actually make any sense. This means the university's coffers are actually receiving less money than they expect to from Kvothe's tuition. Won't the discrepancy be noticed? And if the discrepancy won't be noticed, why does the bursar need to involve Kvothe at all? Why can't the bursar put his fingers in the till without caring what some snot-nosed undergrad's tuition is? Why would Kvothe expect the bursar to agree to this?

The only way this scheme makes sense to me is if the bursar has an absolutely fanatical devolution to the college's profits and wants to maximize those above all else, and is willing to outright steal from the college if it results in the college netting a few more silver sickles than it would otherwise have had. This... does not seem likely to me.

A plan that would have actually made some sense would have been for Kvothe to do well on his exams, but to arrange for the bursar to charge Uncle Mayor as if Kvothe had failed his exams, with Kvothe and the bursar splitting the extra. The university won't notice any discrepancies because it's still receiving as much money as it expects to based on Kvothe's tuition, and Uncle Mayor isn't likely to notice because he lives a very long journey away and the student is in on the scheme and won't tip him off. It would be a bit risky if anyone ever compared Uncle Mayor's books with the University's internal books, but it would theoretically be doable, and would be something the bursar couldn't do without a student's cooperation.

But that wouldn't involve Kvothe doing well by doing poorly, which is clever and subversive and shows how smart the hero and the author and the readers are and also lets him totally dunk on Professor Snape by getting his exam questions wrong, so Rothfuss went with the nonsensical plan instead.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kchama posted:

A lot of the people Kvothe scams are people who are on his side.

My favorite example of this is when Kvothe's current D&D party, who he's become close friends with, loot the stolen taxes from the bandits. He suggests they each take a coin from the taxes for themselves... and then secretly takes six more coins for himself, effectively robbing his "friends" of more than half their share of the spoils.

He has a steady gig with the richest man in the world at that point, there's literally no reason to rob his friends except he's a complete rear end in a top hat.

(but remember, the real true Edema Ruh like Kvothe would never ever steal)

Kchama posted:

Also that entire side trip, and thus literally all of book 2, was a quest to pay his student tuition, which is why he was exiled for a semester and then was exiled back to school when his first exile was up.

Strictly speaking his exile was because he'd just had a high-profile trial by the inquisitors for Doing Magicks Wickedly (which Rothfuss skipped over writing), and the professors "suggested" he take a leave of absence to give people a few months to forget so Wizard College and the Witch-Hunting Inqusition could go back to inexplicably forgetting each other's existence.

...but also yes it was for tuition.

Kchama posted:

This is also why the pirate adventure was skipped, because it didn't have anything to do with him paying his tuition.

Kvothe just didn't want to admit that he escaped from the pirates by admitting he was an orphan.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Southpaugh posted:

The Joss whedon t shirt is so pathetic.

He's just advertising that he's a former nerd media darling who had one early breakout success, pretends to be a feminist but is absolutely not a feminist and in fact is a misogynist sexpest, injects his horniess into his wriitng, is now a washed-up has-been abandoned joke, couldn't be criticized for a long time due to his industry connections and rabid fanbase, and needs to take hedge clippers to his beard.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Evil Fluffy posted:

My favorite part is when True Feminist Patrick Rothfuss wrote about a matriarchal sex ninja society that didn't understand basic reproductive biology but thankfully his Gary Sue character was able to educate those silly women.

He fails to educate them, they are too misguided for his words to teach

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Completely off-topic and no idea why it made me think of this thread, but did anyone else see the Sandman episode about the misogynist author who insist he's a feminist, became famous for writing one book years ago, claims he's almost finished the next book when he hasn't actually written a single page, and will do anything short of actually writing to maintain his superstar author status?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Antivehicular posted:

I didn't really intend that joke to have much to do with Sanderson in specific; he was just the first guy I thought of as a hired-gun series-finisher who could knock out all the dangling plot threads in a tight package. Replace him with Donald Westlake or another vintage crime-paperback factory if you like.

Bonus comedy option: R.L. Stine

Chapter 13: And then a pirate jumped out and attacked me!
Chapter 14: But it was just my little brother wearing a pirate hat as a joke.

Chapter 29: And then, charging toward me, was a dragon!
Chapter 30: But then I realized technically it was a draccus

Chapter 52: And then I sexed the sex elf
Chapter 53: No really I did

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 27, 2022

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If they adapt Name of the Wind to movie or tv there needs to be a little counter in the cornet of the screen at all times showing how many talents kvothe currently has like a video game hud

And another counter for his tuition

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't think it's necessarily grammatically incorrect but boy is it clunky as gently caress.

It's both. It's grammatically incorrect because the "While it seems [...], but [...]" construction it uses is wrong; it should have either the "while" or the "but", not both. It's clunky because it not only fucks that up but also nests a second "while" inside the first one.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The very next sentence's grammar is all hosed up too:

Patry Kvothefuss, Poetical Prosesmith posted:

And for all his cleverness, Bast finds himself trapped in ways he has never experienced before, and make hard choices and help an enemy.

There are basic subject-verb agreement errors here, but the sentence seems borked even beyond that, like half of it was hastily rewritten and the other half never got the memo.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, Rothfuss preemptively defended that book with some "if you don't think this is good it's clearly not for you :smuggo:" commentary so...

The preface or forward of the book is Rothfuss smugly telling the reader that maybe you just won't "get it" in which case it's "not for you".

The book itself consists almost entirely of Auri wandering around in some tunnels while the narration attaches random emotions, mad libs-style, to random objects. So I would recommend the book if and only if you're really eager for a hundred pages of

not a real quote posted:

Auri stepped through the penitent doorway, into the chamber beyond. Having walked these corridors a hundred times before, she knew how to navigate even in the brazen darkness. Reaching out her left arm, she grasped hold of the tumultuous pipe jutting out of the wall. Running her fingers along the pipe, she allowed its winding path to lead her through the gregarious chamber, guided by the pipe's twists and turns until it made an abrupt turn straight upward and ascended through a thoughtful hole in the ceiling. Having expected this, Auri released the pipe and strode straight ahead, knowing she would soon reach the canny portcullis that would lead her to the jubilant basement of the smug refinery. The refinery was very smug, permeated with a kind of smugness that oozed smugly from its very smugitude, but Auri was used to its smugness and accustomed to appeasing it.
also the book implies that Auri is all quirky pixie dream girl because she was raped and it broke her mind, thanks rothfuss

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Slapping "this book might be not for you" warnings on everything like he's Lemony Snicket.

"If you are interested in stories with endings, you would be better off reading some other book. In this book, not only is there no ending, there is hardly any beginning and very few things happen in the middle. This is because not very many interesting things happened in the life of the one Edema Ruh orphan. Kvothe was an intelligent child, and he was charming, and resourceful, and had pleasant facial features, and was absolutely not a virgin, please don't put in the newspaper that he was a virgin, but he was extremely tedious, and most everything that happened to him was rife with self-aggrandizement, aimless meandering, and student loan bills. I’m sorry to tell you this, but that is how the story goes."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I think before his years as a street orphan in the city, Kvothe is wandering aimlessly in the woods for months after his parents are killed, surviving on ??? as he meanders in a fugue state playing his lute. One of his lute strings breaks, so he spends months playing it with one broken string and compensates. I think he goes to the city when another string breaks and it becomes too hard even for him.

Good thing Kvothe happened by chance to have trained for this exact scenario and that Malfoy happened by chance to have snapped the one string Kvothe had learned to play without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I remember when I first read his paragraph-long list of boasts which include "I spent the night with Felurian and lived to tell the tale," I assumed the Felurian was the name of a very spooky haunted house and everyone who spends the night in it either dies mysteriously or emerges driven mad by untold horrors. And Kvothe survived because he was able to overcome the monster, resist the curse, and solve the mystery.

Instead it's a sex fairy and he survives by being the best virgin at sex.