Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
That's pretty much what I was thinking throughout that episode. Her fighting scenes are great, well choreographed and not cut to a stuntwoman mid-movement. She also has the physique to pull it off in a believable way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Phylodox posted:

Yes, Legends of Tomorrow definitely can’t afford a Firestorm.

:vince:

My only real issue with that episode was that the away team of Nate, Rory, Sara and Ray were targeted by ARGUS tracking missing metahumans. The only metahuman in that team was Nate, and when he disappeared from his timeline he wasn't a metahuman yet.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Ralph Dibny is the best thing to happen to this show in a long time, and the council of Wells delivered on its promises. Now this is starting to feel more like the show I used to love. It seems like they also keep putting the Dibny actor in ill-fitting suits with too short sleeves to accentuate his natural lankiness.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Moon Slayer posted:

Think that was supposed to go in The Flash thread, but I agree 100%.

I have no idea how that happened! I was just reading the Flash thread!

Anyway, this show is also strong as ever, and I really like Zari as a fresh recruit who can be the "straight man" for a while until the stupidity rubs of on her. This is really one of the best overall CW combined Arrowverse seasons, and the crossover looks promising.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I liked that while the crossover was a more consistent thing this year, the story of each episode still centered a little more on the protagonists of that show. Also, having just binged the UK series Being Human, I was pleasantly surprised to see Russell Tovey as the Ray, and would love to have him on the waverider next season.

This crossover was everything I could have hoped for and more, but I still found it pretty weird that of the Coldray couple, the one who's from earth 1 went back to fight for earth X and the one from earth X had some business to attend to on earth 1.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Dibny. As in Ralph Dibny, the elongated man.
Probably a brain fart morphing him with John Diggle.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Who knew that a fun show that doesn't take itself seriously would be a million times better than one that is extremely depressing and 100% nonstop drama?

I'm fine with my superhero shows having different tones, actually I prefer it that way. It's possible to write great comedic shows and great dark and dramatic shows.

I think the first two Arrow seasons were pretty good, but I also liked the first Flash season, how tonally different it was from Arrow, and how the characters clashed when they crossed between shows.

In the early crossovers you got the contrast between the silly superfast hero battling colorful supervillains who were given silly nicknames by the team, and the dark and brooding parkour archer with five years spent in hell who killed rich people who "FAILED THIS CITY", and scenes like Ollie training Barry by unsuspectingly shooting him in the back with remote controlled arrow turrets and telling him to get over it.

twistedmentat posted:

Its too bad there probably isn't a budget, but a Space Cop Green Lantern Arrowverse show would be awesome. Because its on TV they can focus on someone other than Hal. Guy Gardner

Fixed.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
There's nothing I don't love about that trailer.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Argue posted:

This just made me want a musical episode. A proper one, not that sorry excuse for a musical Flash episode.

I honestly expected a duet when Constantine and the fairy godmother had that confrontation on the ship. Constantine even lets out a little rhyme at first when he hears the laugh:

"Aywell Ah know yer there, ya old bat
Why don't ye show yeself an 'ell 'ave ourselves a little chat!"

Also Matt Ryan is just perfect for the part as Constantine, exactly how I imagined him from the old Hellblazer comics (except maybe a few years older). I still can't wrap my head around that someone thought Keanu Reeves was the best pick for the part (I still haven't dared see that film).

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm with Ava, Mona really is a gem.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree with points 1 and 2. Mona is a character I currently like, but she's also the sort of character who could become annoying if they overuse her or lean too far into the quirky.

Well, there's a thing called character development, and it wouldn't be very reasonable at all to have her character stay exactly the same unless she's brain damaged.

Right now she's geeking out over seeing all the mythical creatures she's read about all her life and working alongside time traveling superheroes, neither of which she knew existed a few days ago when she was just just a delivery girl constantly being called out to a particular office building because a dweeb who worked there had a crush on her and ordered food just to meet her. Some of that may pass when she gets more jaded from being around magical creatures daily.

For example, Ava used to be cold and distant because she never had a childhood or a family and later even discovered that she was grown in a lab and her memories were planted. While the show still has her uncomfortable about kid stuff like birthdays and summer camps, her girlfriend and co workers make it their mission to "humanize" her, something that often leads to her showing the persona of the giggly schoolgirl she never got to be. This last episode had another turning point where the lockdown forced her into having a birthday party with her new BFFs and chat with Nora about the boy who likes her and sent her a note in class.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently the title of next week's episode is Legends of To-Meow-Meow.

...every time I think it's not possible to love this show more! Embracing the stupid and going "full retard" is the best thing this show ever did.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

I was actually just wondering about that (and the other cat scenes)! Love that they actually went to the trouble of training a cat instead of using CGI or camera tricks with prosthetic paws or whatever.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
This episode had excellent choreography. The dancing conversation between Sara and Ava was pretty well done, but the luchadore stuff was amazing. That last royal rumble had my jaw on the floor.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

nine-gear crow posted:

The way they handled that was pretty great. “I’m not your ex, I just look like her for really dumb reasons.” / “Okay. Cool. You wanna go do fun platonic history poo poo?” / “Sure.”

Agreed, I would hate to have Nate pining about his lost love for seasons to come. I actually don’t mind Nate/Zari, they’re two hot, single people sharing a destiny and spending time together (even having to actually pretend to be a couple) where they discover likable features about each other and start seeing each other with different eyes. It’s how relationships start, I think it was as organic as a show about time traveling unicorn hunters could tell a romance plot.

Also agree on the statement last page that Zari’s faith is handled well. It’s her personal faith, she keeps it to herself and it’s just a fragment of her identity, along with everything else. I love that she doesn’t have to be a parody or anything, and the religion just is a thing that comes up naturally in lines like the one about a hindi and a muslim getting a christian wedding.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Natari isn’t bad, but I think Mona should have gone with Zathan instead.

While it’s hard to top the Bollywood number with Zari in a Sari, it was fun to watch Sara rescue Ava from IKEA.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Medullah posted:

Hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing.

Me too, I was like: Hey, is that Mikey the construction worker (from unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) as Mikey the construction worker?

So I had to check on IMDB, but of course he was uncredited on Legends...

Then I noticed the actor is also named Mike

...and he also played in a movie called "construction", a character named....

...Mike.

Is this some kind of running joke? casting Mike Carlsen as construction workers named Mike?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

ruddiger posted:

Zarlie clearly needs to happen.

Would Zari's sexual orientation matter anyhow? Charlie's a shapeshifter, she can turn into whatever Zari's into.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

bring back old gbs posted:

So....was that a future version of Zari where she transitioned to a man, or an entirely different person?

Her brother, who died in the original timeline, forcing Zari to take over the wind totem and go into hiding because of the anti-metahuman laws. Because of the time idiots the entire world became a giant Kum Ba Ya-land instead, the anti-meta backlash didn't happen, her brother lived, and Zari never became a superhero who was recruited by the legends.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
But seriously, while Hoechlin is pretty great as superman, Brandon Roth WAS a great cast for superman and especially Clark Kent in Superman Returns.
It's just a shame that the movie itself sucked.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Medullah posted:

Yeah I was a bit put off by it too, it seemed too quick after Amaya. Just like "Hey, here's two pretty people, they need to poke one another"

Because that never happens in real life?

While unlike typical Tv and movie romances, Nate/Zari was instead a very realistic relationship. Two charming, young, single people with interesting personalities spending lots of time together working on a project isolated from the world. It would be unrealistic of them NOT to hook up.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

muscles like this! posted:

They could always have Zari 1.0 (as she was referred to in the Fates' script) be a Legend while influencer Zari goes back to her time and lives her normal life.

I don’t think she can go back. Her entire character arc has been about realizing how shallow and meaningless her old life and friends were and that saving the world through time travel was more important than “likes” and would never require marrying a DJ wearing a giant s’more with dollar sign eyes on his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Agreed, Flash s01 was near perfection as far as comic book TV goes. It had a fun cast with chemistry, did some cross overs with Arrow where the big difference in attitudes of the main characters and tone of the shows was handled masterfully (the training scene with Ollie shooting arrows in jolly Barry’s back with hidden turrets to teach him a lesson is an example of this), it introduced a lot of great golden age villains, and the main villain was revealed in a satisfying way and didn’t take up a big part of the plot until the end of the season.