Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

use crunch instead. then u can write clean java and just tell it to run the pipeline in spark.

crunch looks very...unmaintained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lancemantis posted:

crunch looks very...unmaintained

its worked pretty well for everything I've done with it, but I'm far from an expert.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the only thing the chipset was ever licensed for is to... Atari Games (a separate company, don't ask) for use in Area 51 et al, where they doubled the RAM, added an IDE hard drive to store prerendered animations, and replaced the CPU with a 68020.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Luigi Thirty posted:

the only thing the chipset was ever licensed for is to... Atari Games (a separate company, don't ask)
This is almost always a tax fiddle where the company holding the IP lives in a tax haven and then receives income in that jurisdiction from licensing to its affiliates.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
lol if you don't use gnu unifont

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

eugh

i mean it depends on what you want to do, but if you're dipping your toes into embedded development then you're not doing yourself any favors by doing it in c++, especially not in arduino's weird sandpit.

it might be that you don't care, and that's fine, but bear in mind you are building up a distorted and muddy picture of how things work. if you decide to do embedded stuff for real then you will have to empty all that poo poo out of your head before you can fill it again.

also the stuff going on under the hood isn't all that bad. the hard part is finding a pre-assembled toolchain for whatever arm-based board you are using (use an arm based board, for the love of god, preferably in conjunction with a standalone flashing adapter)

i appreciate the effort posting because this stuff is all new to me. in all honesty though it's probably all moot because i'm also going back to school and will be seeing java, c, assembly, and c++ by the time i finish so whatever opinions i have now are likely to be way different on the other side. except for "web bad", of course.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
broaden your horizons and use a proportional font instead of this ancient monospaced garbage

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyways yeah to tl;dr my blabbering about sql thing before.

1) how difficult is it to make a table, give analysts write permission to it, and use it only for queries that generate execution plans, so that poo poo can be read only while execution plans can still be made and inspected?

2) how taxing are execution plans on the server? are we talking "finish the query and then think about it", or something better?

What db engine are you on afiak postgres and mysql let you run explain on read only servers? And not taxing at all unless I'm really misunderstanding

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ulmont posted:

This is almost always a tax fiddle where the company holding the IP lives in a tax haven and then receives income in that jurisdiction from licensing to its affiliates.

nope, goes back to the 80s

Atari went tech buble for a number of factors and posted the largest corporate loss in history in 1983 ($583 million) causing its parent company's stock price to fall 2/3 from $60 to $20. eventually the computer and game console division ended up owned by Jack Tramiel after he got kicked out of Commodore in 1984. the arcade division got renamed to Atari Games and sold to Namco in 1985, bought out by employees in 1986, and got bought by Time Warner again in 1993. (the agreement was they couldn't use the Atari name for home releases which is how you ended up with the Tengen name.)

so Atari, the independent video game company who made the Jaguar, licensed it to the arcade game company Atari Games, who was owned by Time Warner.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sapozhnik posted:

lol

doing a green fields project in c++

you loving fool

are you writing a game engine because that is literally the only vaguely acceptable excuse

cross platform ios/android/windows project here o/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh no blimp issue posted:

think about void pointers

i once had a mate in uni tell me that dereferencing a void pointer could break your computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwTm1P37l4&hd=1

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hackbunny posted:

cross platform ios/android/windows project here o/

may god have mercy on your soul

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

think about void pointers

i once had a mate in uni tell me that dereferencing a void pointer could break your computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PipkCEOiY

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I have a version of this for PC called debian gnu/hurd

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sapozhnik posted:

may god have mercy on your soul

it's only literally what I've been preparing for for my entire career! at least we no longer target symbian OS (not joking, one of our core components had a decade of technical debit due to having been originally designed for S60 3rd ed)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
code:

private const int OneMinute = 60000;

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

redleader posted:

code:

ah yes, upon further investigation this constant has been copied around a bunch

copy/paste is the preferred method of code reuse here

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the c64 let you reprogram the disk drive and you could gently caress some stuff up with that

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the c64 let you reprogram the disk drive and you could gently caress some stuff up with that

You could also use it as a second CPU for intensive calculations, apparently. It's big in the demo scene for that purpose.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

redleader posted:

code:

C++ code:
using std::chrono_literals;
constexpr auto one_minute = 1min;

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

hackbunny posted:

C++ code:
using std::chrono_literals;
constexpr auto one_minute = 1min;

C++ code:
constexpr chrono::minutes operator "" min(unsigned long long mins);
not sure if joking?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Brain Candy posted:

C++ code:
constexpr chrono::minutes operator "" min(unsigned long long mins);
not sure if joking?
let's find out http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/symbol_index/chrono_literals

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

that's where the signature was pasted from? i don't do c++ anymore, inshallah, but

on one hand the code is very pretty and the rational arithmatic is very soothing in that special way

on the other hand, a loving "" min operator?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
uhh, yeah, that's how user-defined literals work

what else did you have in mind?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

std::chrono is very good at handling durations, like exceptionally good
its support for time points, clocks, etc. is abysmal, though

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

i was mildly surprised that a thing that looked like a name was actually a compile time instruction involving gcd, but hey, c++

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
java.time is also very good at handling times, dates, timezones, and all possible combinations of the above. in fact, it is better than any other library for any other language for doing this

as a bonus, you don't have to use c++

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jabor posted:

uhh, yeah, that's how user-defined literals work

what else did you have in mind?

literally any other solution in the entire world

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

java.time is also very good at handling times, dates, timezones, and all possible combinations of the above. in fact, it is better than any other library for any other language for doing this

as a bonus, you don't have to use c++

its just joda-time tho.

which is cool that they just took a lib and made it part of the standard

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
terrible programmer here forgetting my data structures

is there a name for a queue-like hash where the order of execution is unimportant (i.e. no fifo) but the enqueue/dequeue operations are?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
hello new thread are there any good posts yet

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tef posted:

hello new thread are there any good posts yet

there are never good posts

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

then i think about doing it with a lawnmower and suddenly feel good about the washboard. too bad there's no better option.

as they say in russian, "for a bad dancer even balls are an obstacle". have you tried picking the right tools and holding them right, instead of regressing to.the lowest possible denominator?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what's a greenfield project?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Master Stur posted:

What db engine are you on afiak postgres and mysql let you run explain on read only servers? And not taxing at all unless I'm really misunderstanding

we have postgres and mysql (and/or maria) (for legacy projects). ill investigate this then and write jetbrains support i guess if datagrip is misleading me on what i can do in a read-only connection

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Blinkz0rz posted:

terrible programmer here forgetting my data structures

is there a name for a queue-like hash where the order of execution is unimportant (i.e. no fifo) but the enqueue/dequeue operations are?

i have no idea what you're trying to describe here. a non-fifo queue that does some sort of uniquing?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay cool so the Amiga reference manual includes 68k assembly macro versions of Insert/Remove/AddHead/AddTail and other various linked list functions that I stole for my Jaguar game

so basically I have a doubly linked list implementation that can contain any struct as long as it physically begins with a struct Node and all I had to do was convert them from macros to functions and write my own C headers for them :toot:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
C++ is actually really nice, but by god, is it not a beginner friendly language, and given its legacy, it probably won't ever be (although I posit it is getting better). Though, if you make effort to learn it, you will probably end up writing crazy things that are surprisingly nice to use (see std::chrono and (possibly std:: ) date for exhibit A).

You will also end up spending lot of time janitoring your CI to use ALL THE TOOLS because lol if you trust yourself to write correct C++. :v:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 10, 2017

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xarn posted:

C++ is actually really nice, but by god, is it not a beginner friendly language, and given its legacy, it probably won't ever be (although I posit it is getting better). Though, if you make effort to learn it, you will probably end up writing crazy things that are surprisingly nice to use (see std::chrono and (possibly std:: ) date for exhibit A).

You will also end up spending lot of time janitoring your CI to use ALL THE TOOLS because lol if you trust yourself to write correct C++. :v:

Could you elaborate on your CI setup? I've been improving the tests for my astronomy research C++ code, and I think a good next step would be setting up some CI. This is especially important now because more undergrads are contributing code to it and they are likely to mess things up due to inexperience.

Do you do anything besides compile, run cppcheck (or another linter), and run unit tests? For example, do you do anything to ensure that your code is valgrind clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's a greenfield project?

starting from scratch, no prior code. starting to building on an empty (green) field

• Locked thread