Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

this font sucks rear end

I'd like it I'd it didn't have the stupid ligatures. I used it for mumps and it was great there but it fucks with visually parsing Java code because it replaces poo poo like != with some stupid crossed out equal sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lancemantis posted:

because unfortunately its the first class language for spark

use crunch instead. then u can write clean java and just tell it to run the pipeline in spark.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lancemantis posted:

crunch looks very...unmaintained

its worked pretty well for everything I've done with it, but I'm far from an expert.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tef posted:

hello new thread are there any good posts yet

there are never good posts

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my current team is obsessed with "pull requests" so I routinely slip poo poo like this into unrelated PRs to reduce the amount of paperwork I do

lol@ putting pr in scare quotes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the thing I hate the most about c and its offspring is the soup of______ident__someotherthing___ Foo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s: writing a lot of mapreduce type stuff. it's fun but my brain is so tired...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HoboMan posted:

more importantly can i replace youre posts with a gay baby?

oh wait

Gay! Hahahahaha!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This is interesting to me because I'm working on a rest API for a job that can potentially run for hours and it's surprisingly hard to Google up useful guidance for this sort of thing. I'm reading eagerly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
When I did typescript I still ended up having to cast poo poo to any enough that the type safety of the language wasn't that helpful.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
tfw you're blocked because someone else needs to give you stuff and they have new excuses every week.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tak posted:

Protobuf is the best

only when used responsibly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

protobuf still won’t save you from yourself

ya. one of the biggest problems ive seen with protobuf is when ppl declare things optional (just in case you don't need it) and set a default value (just in case you did, lol) but then later decide (by convention) that they're not optional and now you have a milion proto object sitting around that are way too much of a pain to backfill so everyone's just stuck checking for foo.hasBar() before calling foo.getBar() and basically you're right back in null checking hell.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

InfrastructureWeek posted:

Jenkins is bad but everything else is way worse ime. Jenkinsfiles and pipelines are pretty ...... groovy

all i know about jenkins is that i click butan and it magically grabs the current version of the code and runs it and tells me when its done. fortunately it's someone else's job to know how it does that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Corla Plankun posted:

this kind of job is honestly my dream

dont have to go to any loving meetings or plan new greenfield bs, just investigate hosed up things and reimplement them with sane design patterns

this was literally my job description at epic and while in a vacuum it might sound fun, the reality is that the software wouldn't be in that state if the business itself wasn't also terrible. your actual work might be fun but your life will be existential misery.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasn't the reason your life was existential misery that the company was poo poo about gendering you correctly, or am i thinking of someone else

trans issues were a small part of a massive cosmos of problems with that company. my point is that crusty poo poo software comes from crusty poo poo environments.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stereotype posted:

Its a funnel for government and old people money into the hands of crazy, youthful, and artistic people so I'm basically okay with it. I'm sure it sucks to work there but as an outsider who goes in and surprises friends when I'm in town and gets a cheap lunch, it is a phenomenally cool campus. It is amazing what you can do when you spend a billion dollars on themed buildings and art.

Ya, my office is the only thing I miss from there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
posting on the nice page

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JawnV6 posted:

someone from a nearby team has decided i'm his guy and is cc'ing me on these giant email chains where folks are furiously handwaving about things I know about, but it doesn't do me any good to blast out The Truth so the net result is aggravation :sigh:

Internal ios mailing lists are the biggest hive of pissing and moaning I've ever encountered.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
are code tags not wrapping for anybody else?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i just git checkout master and then git checkout -b branchImMaking

maybe im basic but when i try other ways i break things

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

I’ve taken to checking out the tag for the installed (daily) build of the thing I work on to start my branch

then if my branch lives multiple days I do a merge from the next daily build’s tag after I install it, etc. so what I’m working on is a strict superset of what I have installed

We don't have daily builds so we just pile things in master until we cut a new version.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Tortoise regularly caused cycles in svns commit graph rendering whatever I had checked out completely hosed when I tried to merge with trunk.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Today I am writing a generic abstract class in java. Like 10 classes will extend it. I feel dirty.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gonadic io posted:

pretend it's an interface. all is good.

Basically what I'm doing except there's two functions that are identical for all inheriting classes so they're implemented on the super along with the backing data store. It's got two functions, one abstract function, and one field.

It's humming along now and it's actually pretty slick. It's a wrapper to make it easier to mock the really complicated objects we work with.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Soricidus posted:

this is acceptable

inheritance is a tool like any other: sometimes bad, sometimes good. so long as you’re thinking about alternatives instead of blindly using the tool you’re most familiar with, you’re probably an ok programmer writing code that’s no worse than anybody else’s

Sweet. The environment I came from is vb6 and there anytime a class had a separate interface defined it was pure pain because the debugger sucked and inheritance is weird on vb6

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm kinda lamenting my inability to do template magic now because I have a bunch of functions where the *pattern* of the code is the same but the specific type and setter function to call within are different. It's tempting to want template expansion to avoid copy pasting code, but I think that's less extensible if a corner case arises layer and my coworkers would hate me when trying to debug it. Ah well. I eliminated as much duplication as I could with the inheritance.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
And before you ask, generics can't solve this because you can't use instanceof with generic types.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I can't say much more but the backing store necessarily has to be a map<someEnum, Object> because a bunch of different types can go in and it's more than one type on each subclass, and the same type can have different semantics depending on what field it's going in so there's not a clever way to be generic even though it feels like there should be.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
at work someone on our team decided that our official platform for services is this soap thing that can only be launched via sbt and it sucks so I feel your pain.

There's a Maven SBT plug in though if you want to try to figure that out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

every time i look at a memory profiler the thing i learn is that everything is strings

nice mumpsposting

today eclipses lovely behavior left me missing mumps for a minute. god drat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s: when mvn package works fine but eclipse is really sure that dependency doesn't exist

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
yeah all that stuff is good, it's just sometimes eclipse says it's rebuilding or cleaning the workspace but then it doesn't actually do that is you have to do a special dance to cajole it. v annoying.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
C tp s: spent an hour trying to figure out why one project refused to recognize a package in another project. Finally realized I had the wrong branch checked out on the other project. Inter project dependencies folks!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

just use HL7 for everything problem solved

barf. i mean, uh, fhir is the future comrades

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

json is cool if you're a giant retard mongoloid

wtf is wrong with you? don't post like this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

fhir would be good if any ehr implemented it

Epic does but I didn't work on interfaces so no clue how well it works.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm trying the intellij trial because I'm sick of eclipses maven integration loving up, but so far intellij feels a lot clunkier. What are your tips to make it work good and stuff. I've already started adding my projects as modules to a single project.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what are the problems you encounter? is this some workspaces or whatever thing lots of people used to older ides complain about?

It doesn't seem to autodetect things well, like sources in other modules or that a project is a Maven project.

Also, the git integration feels awkward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

git in an ide? bad? :eyepop:

use the freakin commandline

I do, but it's nice that eclipse's git integration gives me a visual representation of what files I've touched since my last commit so I can sweep through and make sure I did everything before commiting.

• Locked thread