Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh yeah the Jaguar also supported console linking

with a special cable you connected two consoles together, which let their DSPs communicate and linked their UARTs together. I think only like 3 games supported it, one of which was Doom, so you could do co-op or deathmatch with two consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

thats the sort of stupid rear end font you make when you first hear ligatures are a thing and you want to just smash characters together for literally no reason

tironian notes?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh yeah that ibm mainframe thing is on again if you enjoy text mode interfaces

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

just lol if you don't write programs for the Motorola 68000

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

run it on arm and use the endianness changing instruction

Oh the Jaguar can do this too. It supports big and little endian processors!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the only thing the chipset was ever licensed for is to... Atari Games (a separate company, don't ask) for use in Area 51 et al, where they doubled the RAM, added an IDE hard drive to store prerendered animations, and replaced the CPU with a 68020.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ulmont posted:

This is almost always a tax fiddle where the company holding the IP lives in a tax haven and then receives income in that jurisdiction from licensing to its affiliates.

nope, goes back to the 80s

Atari went tech buble for a number of factors and posted the largest corporate loss in history in 1983 ($583 million) causing its parent company's stock price to fall 2/3 from $60 to $20. eventually the computer and game console division ended up owned by Jack Tramiel after he got kicked out of Commodore in 1984. the arcade division got renamed to Atari Games and sold to Namco in 1985, bought out by employees in 1986, and got bought by Time Warner again in 1993. (the agreement was they couldn't use the Atari name for home releases which is how you ended up with the Tengen name.)

so Atari, the independent video game company who made the Jaguar, licensed it to the arcade game company Atari Games, who was owned by Time Warner.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

think about void pointers

i once had a mate in uni tell me that dereferencing a void pointer could break your computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PipkCEOiY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay cool so the Amiga reference manual includes 68k assembly macro versions of Insert/Remove/AddHead/AddTail and other various linked list functions that I stole for my Jaguar game

so basically I have a doubly linked list implementation that can contain any struct as long as it physically begins with a struct Node and all I had to do was convert them from macros to functions and write my own C headers for them :toot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I can't write regex without one of those regex test websites

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

[quote="“MrMoo”" post="“477244893”"]
That’s probably a good idea compared to mashing random punctuation into an editor.
[/quote]

well how the hell else do I write perl

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the only computer vision anyone needs is the headache you get from using the Atari MindLink

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

terrible programmer status: i spent an hour figuring out why my bullets list didn't work and crashed the GPU before realizing i didn't initialize it and was adding bullets to a null pointer because debugging the jaguar is hell on earth

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

aaaaaaa i got it working i can write a pointer to an amiga-style linked list to the jaguar GPU and it will process each node and blit a sprite, so far it can do 60 8bpp sprites at 60fps no problem :pcgaming:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think I found the problem with my program: the CPU and GPU are both trying to use the blitter at the same time, loving up the registers and crashing the system

time for a crash course in semaphores i guess?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

today we’re going to learn how to make plutonium from common household materials

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Luigi livestream the Jaguar coding

it’s a lot of typing “make upload” and looking at the TV to see if the blitter is doing anything

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh cool the 600XL I bought off atariage arrived too today

it’s upgraded to 64K RAM, the RF modulator replaced with RCA composite out jacks, and an SIO2PC installed in the case to let my computer pretend to be a hard drive

I’ve got a 1MB RAM mod I need to install in it and an SD card cartridge too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Soricidus posted:

paging luigi thirty

i haven't used pascal actually all my dos poo poo is in C++

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay i figured out why my jaguar thingy works in the emulator but not a real console

the LOAD instruction in the GPU requires long-aligned data. the emulator doesn't take this into account. the compiler, a 68k compiler, is word-aligning my sprite metadata. on the real device it bugs out because of this and reads bad data from RAM. there's no alignment attribute in my compiler... and I can't switch to GCC without the proper 68k jaguar libc headers for GCC.

welp. shot an email off to the guy who writes VBCC, see if he can do anything about that. he fixed the last few bugs I found when doing Jag stuff. all mallocs are long-aligned so I could work around it by copying the sprite data from ROM to RAM but I’d rather not.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 14, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rjmccall posted:

can you just put a pointer before your sprite metadata or something?

like literally before might work if the compiler spits globals out in order, which it totally might

It does not.

the metadata structs are 24 bytes long so another solution would be to just put them in their own long-aligned section in the linker.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it turns out i'm a dumbass and the sprite data itself is aligned properly. the pointer to the sprite data wasn't long aligned... in the node struct I wrote. i added 2 bytes of padding and now i have 50 sprites bouncing around on my TV again. took 2 days to figure that out :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh hell yeah I got the Atari 600 set up so I can run MADS on my PC and have it dump .xex files into a folder mounted on the Atari so I can run my assembled programs

I’ve also got a game library mounted as G: :getin:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I’m hacking some features into this open sores SIO peripheral emulator and I have to use... Qt Creator :barf:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

is there a way to access WMI using mingw?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah I’ll pass

the SIO emulator is written in C++ and I’ve figured out how to write my own peripherals for it, so I’d rather not start from scratch. maybe I’ll add a kRPC client to it and use it to send vessel status data to the Atari, I do like KSP projects

right now I have commands that send back my Spotify window title and free memory to the Atari

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I am currently in some kind of hell trying to add libprotobuf to the mingw build environment qt creator includes

I pointed MSYS2 at the mingw environment (mounting it at /mingw) and put it first in my path to use its GCC. I compiled libprotobuf from source, installed it to /mingw/lib, and added -lprotobuf to the qmake makefile, but trying to use protobuf functions ends in the linker spewing undefined reference errors. pkg-config shows the library is installed in my mingw environment.

is there a way to tell if a library is 32 or 64-bit? maybe I compiled for the wrong environment? no clue what’s going on

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the open sores project I’m modifying is a Qt Creator project and it comes with a preconfigured mingw.

I’ll just do it in my Linux vm instead

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 18, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I enabled hyper-v to get docker to work and now VMware doesn’t work :thunk:

time to install a Linux in hyper-v?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mystes posted:

Can't you use WSL? Or do you need to talk to a USB device or something?

yes, I need to talk to a USB to RS-232 adapter. I just turned off hyper-v and am using VMware. I got the open sores to compile in VMware and to talk to the USB device so good enough.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hmm, any kerbal rpc function I call crashes the open sores program. I wrote a hello world program where it works reliably. i guess qt doesn't like kerbals

i definitely need the program running so I can use my virtual atari disks. does linux give exclusive ownership of a serial port to one process like windows? since I'm basically using my PC as an SIO peripheral I could just sniff the serial traffic on ttyUSB0 in a separate program and ignore packets not directed at the program.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay nevermind i got a bright idea and downloaded a 14-day trial of ELTIMA SERIAL PORT SPLITTER and rewrote the SIO junk from RespeQt in C#. now I can use the disk emulator AND KSP APIs at the same time

mission control baby

kRPC has a basic autopilot you can remote control that handles attitude integration for you, you just need to give it an orientation and it will try its best to keep it. I'm gonna get the Atari 800 to fly me to orbit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

what is the Linux equivalent of visual studio code for when I need to futz with a C++ file and don’t want to do it in emacs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

visual studio code i think, but knowing your computer interests im not going to bet what linux distro you're running and how recent things can work on it :v:

a modern, mainstream Linux from 2017. this is for my Linux VM.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i invested $30,000 in mongodb but it turns out that someone was running a backup at the time and my investment didnt count

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

vs code exists for linux tho?? if that's what you really want

comedy option: gedit

yeah i think i shall use vs code

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I use Eclipse for 6502 assembly what am I

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rjmccall posted:

i used to use ed as my EDITOR for commits but eventually decided the occasional line transposition and/or checked-in 1,3d was a little too embarrassing

works4me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

“shaggar was right,” I say as I shrink and run into a thurrott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

my favorite thing is still Microsoft spending millions on user testing in the 90s and going from three start buttons to one start button during the windows 95 betas

And then going back to three start buttons in windows 8

• Locked thread