Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno what the plan was before Goldberg came back and got hot, but the sad fact is, Owens was probably, at best, always a belt pillow for Brock.

What I'm more curious about is what would've happened if Finn hadn't gotten injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jinder is fighting Owens in India. I'm only sad these shows aren't being taped so I won't get to see Jinder attempt to work babyface.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nilbop posted:

Because little guys can’t beat big guys in pretend fighting.

Oh Finn, to go from that first Roman match to that second Roman match while still being white hot.

"The better man won tonight - an injured Roman Reigns." - an actual thing said on commentary.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was like the worst of both worlds. They booked it in a way where all the faces and heels, despite having great matches, looked like idiots at the end of the day.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can see the booking team thinking that protects Owens when in reality it just made him look like a moron.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You couldve done an extremely curtailed version of that, easily. Let Owens lose clean after wounding Goldberg. It gets over that Goldberg isn't only a spear and a Jackhammer and that Owens went toe to toe with loving Goldberg.

We can talk about how it hurt Owens, but tbh I think it hurt Goldberg just as much and not only because it made him into a glorified belt pillow for Lesnar.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Actually man I really wanna see this match so I can see Brock completely not give a gently caress about this match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol the singhs are going to be the first people brock sends to a low earth orbit

You mean when they come out the other side?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's degrees of clean and "hit him in the middle with his move and pinned him with nothing dirty immediately surrounding it" is far cleaner than Jinder deserves against Nakamura. If you have to do this poo poo then at least give Nakamura the decency of a low blow or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Nakamura has done plenty of cool things in NXT and WWE. You're letting the lame poo poo overshadow it because it was almost exclusively on PPV while the cool stuff was almost exclusively on TV.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If what people say about Kenny is to be believed (he's in it for the wrestling, not the money) then I have extreme doubts he'll sign with them while Vince is around.

Thing is with the way he wrestles, I think Vince could very well out last him.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 14, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The bad move on Hunter's part was not taking out a hit on Vince like a year ago.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow, I didn't think there was somebody with less credibility than Rovert here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No Mercy 16 shoulda ended with Dolph Ziggler winning.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Roman Reigns' last two Wrestlemania main events sucked because HHH is bad at epic matches and Undertaker is old and broken down.

Roman Reigns' matches with Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, Finn Balor, Rusev and so on were good because of Roman Reigns' incredible psychology.

Roman Reigns' match with John Cena was a boring, plodding mess because of, uhhhh.... *throws smoke bomb and runs away*

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If we wanna talk about psychology, let's talk about Roman Reigns vs. Jason Jordan. Jordan was running wild on Roman, charged at Roman in the corner, Roman moves, Jordan gets posted. Jordan falls onto the apron. Roman hits the Drive-By. Roman hits the Superman Punch. Roman hits the Spear. Match over.

That is some lame loving psychology. It's like they reached an arbitrary "okay, Jordan's gotten enough offense, time to end the match now" point, then Roman just hit his three moves and pinned him. It was about the laziest finish I can remember seeing on TV in quite a while.

MassRafTer posted:

Twitter loved that Cena match.

Twitter is an idiot!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Sounds like the right way to end a match like that. "Up and coming guy gets the better of the star, makes one mistake and pays for it" is a pretty tried and true way to give the new guy something in defeat.

That's what happened in the Cena match. It went through "Jordan lifts Cena for a suplex -> Cena transitions into a pin -> Jordan kicks out -> Cena hits the AA" all in the space of about 10 seconds and it really felt like Jordan just got caught.

With Roman, it just took like a full minute for him to go through all of his moves and I kept waiting for Jordan to counter because it was taking so drat long to go from spot to spot, but Jordan just kept drunkenly stumbling around and getting hit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ-0DLV8kfU

Cody did this thing that was cool, once.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The thing is, it'd be so easy to get internet fans to like, or at least hate Roman less.

Have him show some of his real personality and play some vidja games with his cousins and Xavier on UpUpDownDown.

Even if he didn't do anything cool or fun, seeing him interact with the Uso brothers goofiness as a real person would soften fans views of him and make watching him win all the time easier to take.

Edit: I also like Cody the dork, and am glad he is happy/happier away from the monster that is Vince/WWE

He's come off as a pretty chill dude when he's on UUDD. The CoD: Infinite Warfare episode was fun because he was the only one who knew what he was doing so he just quietly went out and got a respectable K/D while everybody else got murdered over and over.

But whenever he opens his mouth for an interview or tweets anything, he comes off like a spoiled jock prick.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

Roman doesn’t really have much of a personality. His promos are horrendous and cookie cutter-ish. Some of that is on Vince and the writers, but most of it is on Roman.

People love Braun Strowman. Why do people love Braun Strowman? Because he’s an impossibly gigantic hoss of a human being who does nothing but hurt other people in exciting and new hoss ways. He just destroys people. And then people cheer for him because people love wanton violence.

He doesn’t have to cut promos. His actions are his promos. Even then, “I’M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!” is a thousand times more over as a catchphrase than “This is my yard!” or various “Big Dog” horseshit.

If you step back and really look at the content of them, Braun's promos actually are loving terrible. The stuff he's being made to say is honestly almost every bit as putrid as the stuff Roman has to say. There was a promo before No Mercy where he basically said "Well, I'm not gonna complain about this, but [proceeds to complain about it for five minutes]." It was loving unbelievably stupid. But Braun is one of those guys, like Neville or Alexa or Miz who can take WWE's terrible writing and deliver it in a really convincing way. This after, what, a year of being on his own and cutting his own promos? His delivery and facial expressions are already top notch.

Compare it to Roman who still sucks at those things after doing it every week for three years. You can't blame it on the terrible material forever because guys with fewer chances than him to get better at it are way better at it than him.

In 2017 alone, I can think of like four or five segments where the dude got completely outclassed and outshined on the mic and only about half of those involve Cena ruthlessly dunking on him. Joe and Miz have also made the guy look like a jackass on the regular.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The other one I can think of is when Braun was cutting a promo about people hiding behind computers or some poo poo (unlike him, A REAL MAN), and it was just the most intensely stupid thing in the world, but he had this incredible sneer and the way he said it, at the end I was just like "drat, that was great!"

It's honestly one of the most frustrating things in WWE. If you gave these guys a story they could sink their teeth into, it'd probably make for incredible TV, but instead you get the aforementioned Braun promos and Alexa having to try and carry garbage like that This Is Your Life segment or "lol Mickie you're old :iamafag:" based solely on her own charisma, which is like asking her to drag a loving boulder up a hill with her teeth.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't matter anyway, Paige is coming back and owning the house is more important than the yard.

My House was the theme song of WrestleMania. I don't see any Flo Rida songs about yards, Roman! :rolleyes:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Bee posted:

I disagree. The last half of that match was basically Roman Reigns beating the crap out of an old man with barely any offense coming his way. As much as I'm cold on Roman Reigns, that was clearly an attempt to show him purely dominating.

Yeah but anybody can pummel an old man with a chair and tackle him over and over. He didn't do anything special. He just beat up an old guy that was clearly gassed. The story of that match wasn't that Roman Reigns defeated the Undertaker, it was that time defeated the Undertaker and Roman Reigns was, at best, an envoy of the inevitable.

Running the ropes three times before a Spear isn't exactly "I'm sorry, I love you." or a jumping tombstone.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Bee posted:

That's a very good point, and I have to agree. My bad, I misinterpreted what you meant by that.

Yeah, the point I think Aphrodite was trying to make was, "Roman keeps bragging about retiring the Undertaker, but Roman didn't do anything, it was simply a matter of time catching up to the Undertaker and Roman being the guy to end it."

If anything, the story of that post match is Undertaker realizing if he can't even beat Roman Reigns, he really is done.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Incessant Excess posted:

I feel like you can even see this a little bit with Drew McIntyre in NXT who got to the top very quickly and is now getting a somewhat muted response.

They spent a bunch of time building Roode vs. Hideo and Roode vs. Strong, then just had Drew slide in and win the title. It was very, very strange.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, McIntyre is better than Strong, it's just strange how it was timed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If the first order of business for the Shield is to job out Ambrose and Rollins as tag team champs, I am gonna turn hard on this whole thing immediately

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

cams posted:

i recognize that i may have a flawed perspective, what are considered to be the big dog's best in ring performances?

It's Styles and Owens, two matches against top tier workers that also happened to be gimmicked to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oh Snapple! posted:

People are still insane for mentioning the Lesnar match. The only notable part of that thing is the cash-in.

He was laughing at the suplexes! LAUGHING!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread