Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

My notes on this episode:

Samurai was actually fun. I liked Joe being everyone's dad and hugging Caitlin.. but Caitlin still bores me. I kinda miss Julian. Also, I think Barry was experiencing every timeline at once?
"We need more diapers!" Does that mean we're getting the Tornado Twins??

Candice Patton is a treasure.

Also have a pretty spoiler: https://i.imgur.com/bLCI9wp.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Murphys Law posted:

How about an episode where everybody turns into Wells for some reason. You'd have Wells, Flash Wells, Iris Wells, Cisco Wells, Killer Frost Wells.

I would love to see Candice and Carlos as Wells. That sounds dope as gently caress.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

I'm still watching on the West coast, but did Barry really just dismantle all those grenade fragments by hand?

drat, that nigga is FAST now!

are you... one of my people?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Just a reminder that black hair is a political and complicated subject.

If I had to guess, they're flat ironing it (to me he looked very Pete Wentz, who is actually biracial lol) because people were bitching about his hair looking "nappy" in the suit and poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah but we're just saying it looked bad and it was obviously very intentional and just looks odd.

Yo, I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I was just trying to leave a reminder so that people could be a little thoughtful about it.

As a black person, I've had people criticize my hair, touch it without my permission, etc. So it's a personal thing to me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I like that Iris got a monologue, but I really wish they'd give one to Wally. I thought it was cute when he was geeking out over the Flash before he knew it was Barry. He needs a good centric episode and some more character development.

Too bad the writers suck.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

8one6 posted:

Is becoming a Legend the fate of all non-title character heroes on the CW? Because if the team picked up Wally and Miss Martian that would actually be kinda' cool.

I dropped Supergirl but I love Sharon Leal. Did they ever use Miss Martian to talk about intersectionality at all? Or is the show still peak white feminism?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

All of her plot lines on the show revolved around J'onn (she nearly turns him into a White Martian, she needs J'onn's help to get out of a psychic whammy, she needs J'onn and crew help to evade her White Martian "husband") so probably not?

As best I can recall. The show's only touched on race once, in the James-centric episode right before the Daxamite invasion last year

Uggggh, thanks. I dropped it after the nonsense replacing James with her IRL boyfriend. It gave me flashbacks to everyone (read: racist fans on twitter) campaigning to replace Iris with Caitlin as Barry's LI.

I'm also disappointed because it's supposed to be a great feminist superhero show and I had hoped adding Sharon Leal would give the opportunity to talk about women of color (lol, because Miss Martian) but I'm now it's s3 and they haven't taken it.

That's cool though, because in a few months (?) I'll have Thunder & Lightning.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

8one6 posted:

Oh yeah, Black Lightning is coming out soon! Awesome!

I'm stoked yo! Glad I'm not the only one. I felt all alone for awhile lol. I'm actually bummed though, because they said it won't cross over. Like ok, of course the "black show" is the only one that doesn't get to be in the Flarrowverse. Wally, Vixen. Martian Manhunter and Vibe are our only heroes of color, and none of them are leads. (I think there's a new guy on Arrow who is Latinx, but I dropped that show) It might sound like a lot when you list them but imagine that compared to the list of everyone else. I also think it's be cool for Wally to see another black Hero, in his prime, taking the lead and kicking rear end. But oh yeah, Wally doesn't get character development. ugh.

And then we have Firestorm... who is a black guy with a guy in his body, so basically Get Out but nicer. Also same white dude who goes in his head, told him to use his "natural athleticism". Still makes me cringe.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I support Wally being on Legends because it dramatically increases the possibility of Iris and Joe popping up during time travel shenanigans

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

All the stuff Barry said while in his special state was probably foreshadowing of some kind. There was a lot of other stuff, like something about Oliver and so on.

He also said some stuff from the pilot and other episodes. It seems like he was experiencing every timeline at once.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shaddak posted:

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but, I swear when Harry first appeared this episode he sounded like he had brain damage or something. Something about the way he was talking, and how he no longer had a perfect memory.

Random wild guess:
He's not the "Real" E2 Wells and She's not the real Jesse. That's why he wanted Wally gone, he spent enough time with (and making out with probably) the 'real' version of her to be able to figure it out.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I would switch Iris as Summer and Caitlin as Beth tbh.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FAU, if it makes you feel better, my last gig was scripting a reality series (which isn't really screenwriting but more writing loglines and summaries and letting the subjects take it from there on set) and I'm pretty sure that I paid more attention to detail and plotholes than the Flash writers do.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

You know who else did? The Flash writers in Season 1. My currently include series of concussions, gas leak, and "nobody in the writer's room has slept a day in five years."

Unfortunately there's only one good response to this:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's called racial integration.

I think you mean vertical integration.

Which is literally a buzzword I stole from 30Rock and said to my boss and he loved it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/TVGuide/status/933553237977833474?s=17

Rumor is that Jessica Parker Kennedy will be playing Dawn Allen, aka one half of the Tornado Twins, Barry and Iris's children

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Ezra Miller speeds in, kisses Iris, speeds out.

I was excited to see Keirsey Clemmons as Iris West in Justice League, but apparently Whedon cut out all her scenes. 😑😑😑

I'm just glad black Iris is a thing now. Comics need to catch up and just make it canon. 😂😂😂

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

Well in the movie (assuming we get to see her in a director's cut) and on the TV show, she was always black. Making a character who was always white suddenly black is awkward enough when you explain it away as both a rewrite of reality and later just another cousin of Iris with the exact same name; why would Iris suddenly be black now? Would you kill the original Iris West and replace her with her long-lost black half-sister, Iris West?

How about she's still the same character?? Like comics do random retcons all the drat time. DC in particular is notorious for this. And this time it would actually be to do something cool and good. I mean, if you're genuinely interested we can dive into the whole conversation about black women being underrepresented in media. We have the black comic discussion a lot over in Negrotown and the Misogynoir threads in TGRS.

I was a little black girl who read comics and never really got represented. Vixen got the shaft in the flarrowverse, her own cartoon and JLU. Black Lightning will finally give us Thunder and Lightning but I could never find those comics when I was a kid. They're saying it won't even cross over to the Flarrowverse because it's a "black show", like, come the gently caress on.

Then there's the whole problem with black women having their femininity erased, and not being seen as desirable love interests or worse, they become hypersexual jokes. Seeing a black girl being loved and saved by the hero in a comic would've been a huge loving deal to me when I was a kid/teen. It still kinda is.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Iris West has been around for awhile bit she wasn't iconic enough to worry about changing her race. Hell the most interesting poo poo about her in the comics was goofy retconned poo poo like her being from the future all along.

Also Barry Allen hadn't been the flash for like 35 years when he was brought back and wasn't even the original Flash anyway. The whole "we need to bring back the classic versions of the characters" trend was 100% about the preference of who was behind it: a bunch of 40 year old white men who wanted to write about their specific childhood heroes (specifically Geoff Johns)

IMO they should do what they actually did during the Silver Age and burn down the continuity and restart fresh for a new generation.

Related: https://www.bustle.com/articles/175008-iris-west-being-black-is-like-a-dream-come-true-for-a-longtime-dc-fan-like

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I don't follow comics very closely, but I feel like I read about DC doing this every couple of years

It's almost every year at this point. 😂😂😭

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

They need to reboot their entire writing and editorial staff.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

They need to reboot their entire writing and editorial staff.

Speaking of reboots, they're already talking about recasting Iris for the Flash film.

I wonder what kind of actresses they're considering...

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I heard they only want Filipinos. Who knew?

I would totally support that haha

edit: One of my best friends is Filipino and she is obsessed (like tumblr, chatrooms, themed twitter accounts etc) with WestAllen. She would love that so much that she would metaphorically explode.. and now I'm kinda sad that it won't happen. It would make her loving life lol.

edit #2: gotta point out that this is just another example of how representation is important!!!

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 27, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ian West, played by Jesse L Williams.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Regarding Wally: Keinyan requested time off for personal reasons. :(

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

If DeVoe says "are we not men?" at some point during the season I will forgive all their problems.

What about "I would've voted for Obama 3 times if they'd let me!"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Barry showed up when he was about six and had a long period of resentment and adjustment to get through before he truly considered himself part of the family, plausibly long enough to get over the childhood period that cements the Westermarck effect.

Going out of your way to interpret this as a bold destigmatizing of incest is definitely creepy though.

Yeah, he says multiple times he had a crush on her before he even moved in.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Wikipedia says Greg Berlanti has a sister. Maybe someone should reach out for a wellness check.

Greg Berlanti is gay. (Also married his long time partner this week, congrats!)

You're doing a great job proving it's goons who are always the creeps though.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

TVIV > The Flash Season 4 Hiatus - Goons Are Always Creeps

And it works for every thread! 😂😂

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

To get away from creepy incest chat..

Here's a cute pic of Candice, Grant and Keiynan at Greg's wedding!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

What the-- three siblings???

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Davros1 posted:

On the other hand, the writers are terrible because AJK was a creep who fires them every season and replaces them with film school drop outs

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Was anyone planning on making a Black Lightning thread? Because if not, I'll jump on it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Candice Patton talking about Barry growing up black with the West family and Black Lightning:

Candice Patton posted:

It’s a tricky thing…to discuss that kind of content. For me, as an actor, I would need to feel like I have Black writers and creators, kind of, carefully handling that topic. It’s also, it’s not, the show isn’t about the West family. It’s Barry Allen’s story…I’ve always wondered what was it like for Barry Allen growing up in a Black family? Like, you know what I mean? We joke about it all the time behind the scenes on the show. Like, this boy can probably dance. He probably loves my fried chicken. Those are the things I wish we could [do]… the lighter sides of a Black woman and white man dating. As far as the deeper issues about Black Lives Matter and police brutality, and what it’s like to be Black in this world, I think it’s hard on a show like The Flash where we’re really telling Barry Allen’s story, which is why I’m so so excited as a Black woman and as a fan of comics that Black Lightning is coming to the CW, and that Salim and Mara are at the helm to deal with those story lines. I think Black Lightning is in the best hands and that is important.

the West fam is the best fam.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Barry Allen is the first black superhero

the fact they actually arrested him and put him in jail suggests you are correct.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

If they shot him on sight, then you'd be correct.

Nah they can't shoot all of us on sight or the prison industrial system would collapse.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Am I allowed to laugh at this because holy poo poo.

lol hell yeah

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

And two black guys, which is probably more diverse than most Hollywood writing rooms.

One of those black guys is actually an Arrow writer who wandered over for the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AlliedBiscuit posted:

They both work on The Flash: Jonathan Butler and Eric Wallace.

Haha, it was a joke guys.