Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

C-Euro posted:

The dude that does the Revolutions podcast (and who before that did an entire multi-year series on Rome's history) is coming out with a book that I believe is about this period of Roman history, I'm excited. Dan Carlin also did some Hardcore History episodes about it if you need 20+ hours of audio for something.
they're both bad

dan carlin especially so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Been kicking around the idea of doing either the whole "Decline and Fall" set or Kissenger's books on his Washington years this winter/spring. Either way I'll be reading about the gradual collapse of civil society.
what the gently caress

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Typo posted:

dan carlin basically looks at roughly 1000 years of historgraphy about subject X, picks out the most fanciful facts from each source regardless of how likely they are to be actually true, and then jumbles them together while talking a lot about how army X from the year 0 AD can kick army Y's from the year 1000 AD's rear end
apparently the only way to make history digestible to insecure internet nerds is to make it ~~badass~~

and, of course, hardcore.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

frankly on subjects as broad as the roman empire, you shouldn't be reading books that are older than 20-30 years probably. more niche subjects occasionally have definitive works that are older than that, but even those will just be starting points with subsequent works adding on or making non-game-changing corrections.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Even if Gibbon is discredited his book is a good read and a good insight in 18th century historiography and it inspired a real cool book I recently read, Decline and Fall of the Ottoman Empire
the decline theory re: ottoman history is horribly outdated as well

• Locked thread