Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tim: WHERE ARE YOUR CRUMBS NOW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

logitech make a pretty decent wireless key aboard

it’s not a comparison to a mechanical BUT ya can type quite well

i was eyeing their backlit bluetooth since i want a slim keyboard i can move out of the way while working on other stuff. right now thats the previous gen apple keyboard but its a bit odd to use for windows and im a dummy that really likes backlit keyboards

if such a thing existed as a mechanical with slim keys and those features itd be in the shortlist but i dont do a lot of heavy typing at home, so i didnt look too far past the tenkeyless models and a few cordless ones

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

look if you know of a better way to make medicine fun id like to here it :colbert:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eschaton posted:

I’ve been pounding the back of my AEK II for nearly three decades with no RSI developing on my part

it‘s none the worse for wear too

i know ive mentioned it before but those early apple keyboards are a dream and my adb would be perfect if not for the stupid arrow key layout they have. i have the old imate adapter but im tempted to make one of the arduino or we versions if theyd promise less latency

i have a different later model apple keyboard but it is rubber dome and creaks which is weird and might as well be the blue and white g3 kb sans the colors at that point so idk. i just like slim keyboards and the first adb model is a nice size. ive kept an eye on slim mechanicals but i have no idea where to look

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

same

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

seems rude to praise the keyboard but admonish the laptop for not being straight imo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

blugu64 posted:

Elecom huge. Tons of programmable buttons + Advantage2 and keyboard macros. It's what you really need, even if it doesn't look cool. Keyboard macros own.

im looking at those elecoms since my logitech marble wireless left button is worn, they look like a great replacement considering everything new for logitech is thumb trackball now and i have no dexterity with them

Sagebrush posted:

lol, graph doesn't know about the three trackballs

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that feel when chastity ball

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duckfarts posted:

just get one already, just make sure it’s not a thumb ball; balls were meant to be fingered

thirding, my first was the cheaper logitech usb marble and its still a good temp one if you dont want to spend much

its a bit like learning again for fine motor control, but probably not as much if youre used to trackpads? its neat when you figure it out because then you can adjust your acceleration lower and just spin the ball to move the mouse further so you get crazy precision like playing old arcade games

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

blugu64 posted:

Expert or slimblade?

i call it a kaiserball

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

r u ready to WALK posted:

late xmas present

*screaming gets louder*

yikes that shift behavior in the typing demo. everything in the video is like a bad kickstarter except the software which is surprisingly capable and the sd storage makes it seem good for transferring setting to workstations

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i have two keyboards

nice key guy

and twisted loving typograph

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dick traceroute posted:

Pointing device ranking (higher on the list === better than)
Trackball
Trackpad
Graphic tablet
Touchscreen
Mouse
Nipple

heck yeah! i wanted to post my quick take on the elecom deft pro here after i got some time to settle in. if you liked the discontinued logitech trackman wireless this is basically the best replacement easily. the ball felt a bit rough at first and i took a pass and used the trackman ball, but it was starting to break in after a week or so

it's also fairly customizable for buttons, speed, and dpi while being either wired, proprietary wireless, or Bluetooth. im honestly surprised this thing exists because it's like a wishlist of trackball user features

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duckfarts posted:

I’m kinda mad they changed the sensitivity switch into the wireless/Bluetooth switch and then moved the sensitivity switch to the bottom because of course you’d need to change the wireless mode during use instead of the sensitivity yes that made sense to someone somehow

yeah thats a real head scratcher, its totally useless pretty much 100% of the time. even wired i still feel like i messed something up if i flip it between modes. if they could add some support to reassign it when not wireless itd be a bit better

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thats the grimmest thread title yet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tk posted:

If you’re going to go in for $160 on a Code, I would recommend looking at a Kira. It is a significantly better keyboard. Right now they have the standard/black case version with their “True” switches for $179.

im the ground effects

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they look nice tbh

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mewse posted:

holy poo poo

Salt Fish posted:

While you were out partying I studied the keys.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duckfarts posted:

form factor is closer to the ms trackball, as is the ball size. working out for me p well, had to stop using my ms trackball because it started not doing right clicks

its also similar to the trackman wireless and shares a trackball size which was nice to take my old ball to the new mouse for that good worn smoothness

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

have we determined whether the Microsoft surface ergonomic keyboard is good or bad?

im still a bit unsure how its even different from the sculpt aside from color and instantly dirty wrist rests

wait it doesnt have the same level of height adjustment and its properly bluetooth

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the vaunted corduroyed keyboard design

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

lots of chat about trying to gently caress computer components but not enough about lubing them up and trying to get them in your rear end: just IMO

look im pretty sure weve all been hosed by some component at some point regardless of lube

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*tips keys into glass of water*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

caps lock should be a command/alt/ctrl key imo, just ditch that indicator entirely

is it a slim one, or just tenkeyless, jonny? i keep eyeing something like the keychron k1 (or k3 when it releases) because the low profile* of my old apple keyboard has spoiled me but im getting tired of laptop keys after making it a work keyboard and would like backlighting in the evening

*low profile at home because my desk is a fixed height while my work desk was adjustable. not a huge problem when i only spent one day at my home desk a week

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ah yeah that makes sense. i became so used to working off a laptop that i work around those missing in my workflow, but itd be a pain for anything that properly uses them

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i did it and got a mechanical as well, pushed over the edge by cariad showing of hers, and ordered a keychron k3 with their brown opticals

coming from almost a decade of using the same apple bluetooth wireless keyboard it's a nice improvement and just the way i wanted it to be. good tactile bump almost like pre-2016 apple keyboards but more travel and a lighter actuation

i wanna add that dhl is hot garbage as a shipper. the sample switches took a month to clear the last 100 miles to my door with no explanation, while the board got here in 5 days from the same factory and dhl says it's on hold still? amazing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i think this is legit advice. while waiting for my full kb i pulled apart one of the sample switches and accidentally removed some of the grease on the tactile spring. i used a dusting of my dry silicone spray (food production grade) from when i was swapping the bearings on my trackball as a replacement and it was so smooth

if you're in the market for a spray like that, i found it more reliable to get it from a supplier (i went with lem products) for meat grinders and food grade machinery. they'll have one with odorless propellant that's okay for repeat direct contact since it needs to be safe for trace ingestion. i also now enjoy the oddly specific seasonal equipment catalogs and offers for a discounted first year of bowhunter magazine lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'll have to look up the proper lube since these are opticals, but i'm not terribly concerned right now and don't want to risk any getting down into the light sensors

the spray itself is popular for trackballs since it dries to a thin powder coating and won't gum up from dirt and dust falling into the wells. how i've use it is similar to the video, brushing it on using the propellant as a suspension that evaporates in a few moments when thin enough

people used to to use oils or grease, but those worked best for a billiard ball on steel bearings, now everything is plastic on tiny ruby or (ideally) zircon beads and those wells are hard enough to clean without something to suspend in

edit: basically it's used similar to ptfe dry lubricants

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 19, 2021

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sorry to keep verging on mouse chat buuut

Buck Turgidson posted:

my deft pro could definitely do with some of that stuff. although I'm starting to think some of the stiction is because one of the ball bearings isn't actually static... I'd swear it can rotate in the housing and that it's catching.

that's the model i did it on! The bearings are ruby, but the precision varies either in the bearing or in the housing. i had one for work and one for home. one was fine after a month, the other never stopped catching

i followed some advice i found while trying to lubricate them (for some people lubrication works) and bought a pack of zirconium oxide bearings (G10 is fine for me, some opt for G5) and food-grade silicone spray (data sheet, propellant is plastic-friendly for those mice) but some people use ptfe or powders. i prefer silicone since it's in contact with my skin, and the spray is useful for servicing other appliances

there's a guide that was handy if you go that route. my advice is to remove the bearings on a towel, and inserting new ones worked best by partially assembling the bowl and individually placing them in each divot then tightening that portion

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'm absolutely enjoying the responsiveness and typing experience on my k3 and it looks like they're coming out with more tactile switch types for it and i'm oddly eager to buy them

echinopsis posted:

full sized keyboards are the absolute poo poo

entering numbers is for number munchers

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the older keychrons aren't programmable, but it looks like those are out of stock :\

edit: well, the k3 v2, which is the one i have

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2023

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i tried a keychron k3 slim and work computer rejected it as well

oooh, it's firmware is flashable regardless of it not being programmable and i forgot that because it was only for a minor tweak

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

still true even if you have mechanical keyboards

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Buck Turgidson posted:

browns are the beat switches out there

i'm still liking my k3 with optical browns but i might get another tester to try the bananas and mints

i did stick a white switch for left shift so it's easy to press quickly

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it must be web-compatible :dadjoke:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

look for the blacksmith with an iron rose and a pile of key caps in his shop window

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think I want to buy one of these, mainly as a fidget toy but also to actually see what switches are good for me

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32894129557.html

i bought a small one when picking my k3 switches and it's good for fidgeting. the little one i have doesn't hold the switches tightly, so it remains largely flat when fidgeting

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

a full set of artisan caps that are all little versions of the 'this is not a place of honor' structures

i'd settle for just one on the 🪟🪟 key

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Salt Fish posted:

When I needed a replacement switch I took it off the small one I had.

that's where i got a lighter switch for my k3. now my sampler has doubles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:eyepop: the narrowest keeb

unhappy hacking keyboard