Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

Twitter discontinued a bunch of its APIs a few months ago.

Also Pokeyman thanks for picking up on the new grey bar issue. I reinstalled this morning on the off chance that might fix it and it was fine right up until I selected a new app icon, at which point it froze. When I force quit and restarted, the grey bar was there.

I'm on a new install again and it hasn't come back yet.

Is that the reason that embedded twitter videos won’t play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't think it is. The APIs that Twitter discontinued shouldn't have anything to do with this. I think people have spent some time looking at it, but haven't actually been able to figure out yet why they're not working.

Ah ok thanks! Hopefully they get it figured out.

Last thing and a slight request but would it be possible to add a rotation lock to the app? Sometimes when I’m reading in bed it will rotate on me and it’s mildly annoying.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

Gonna hop on my design box:

I think adding stuff like that, when it's easily accessible through the iOS control panel, only puts Awful in a worse place of bloat. It would be better to get into the habit of toggling it at the OS level and building up that muscle memory to make it feel seamless.

Ok but! On the Xs Maxxxxx (as far as I can see) that isn’t an option anymore.

I know I could lock it on my 8+ but now that the Maxxx doesn’t rotate.... :shrug:

Subjunctive posted:

Awful is 100% of the reason I have rotation lock in my control center.

Also this. Like on my ipad it’s cool to rotate it but on the phone not so much.

Also awful seems to get stuck in landscape pretty often.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

You probably just need to go into settings and re-add rotation lock to your control center.

Hmmm. Yeah that was it. It’s weird that it doesn’t show up in the settings app though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Is anyone else seeing an issue where special characters aren�t displaying properly?

Yeah I've been seeing this in various threads.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m not sure what changed but I can’t click links anymore.

This is on my phone and iPad. I can hold it down and select open in safari but tapping it doesn’t do anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Any chance the issues with posting pics from the app is going to get fixed anytime soon. I haven’t been able to post pics in months. Tried posting to Imgur first and copying the link and it still never works.

Are you on iOS? If so you’ll need to make a shortcut to do it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have seen this far, far less in the most recent 3 betas, but before that I was seeing two different types of this

1. No links work, app crashes soon after

2. Some links work (actually, all links 'work' but they're not where they should be, if you click around the space that shouldn't be links enough you may find your intended destination)

I thought they were both the same as the display entirely breaking for portions of pages issue, because they would often accompany that

Yeah it seems to fix itself? Like holding on the link brings up the options to open in safari or whatever but tapping it doesn’t do anything.

Not a huge deal just kinda weird.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone else notice that the pull from left to right to get back to the bookmarks is a little finicky? Like sometimes it works perfect but then others I have to try and drag like 4 times before it registers.

On an X MAXXXX.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t know that worked on phones!

It does and it’s great! It works much better two handed as it seems like the threshold is really tiny and maybe I’m not reaching it all the way with one hand.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

you have to start the drag from offscreen, which is getting harder to pull off as bezels get smaller

I feel like the drag size could be enlarged if possible? Like when I'm using the app there is no reason why I'd drag from left to right except to go back to the bookmarks page.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Excellent thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

EMBEDDED TWITTER VIDEOS ARE WORKING AGAIN IN THE BETA.

THERE IS A GOD AND HE IS GOOD AND JUST.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

The update that was just pushed makes the app crash constantly on my iPhone 4S

God bless you for fighting the good fight on that 4s.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

I should probably do a trip report at some point

Banking apps all get updated still, as does YouTube, Google Drive and Uber. Chrome, Gmail and other Google apps like Docs are stuck on whatever the last update was a year ago

As long as you had an app bought in the app store at *some point* you can still re-download the last working version for 4S from the app store. But if you try to download a new app now for the first time... it doesn't offer you an old version

That is actually pretty impressive for a phone that is 7+ years old at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You and the PDX Bus are fighting for first most awesome app developer ever but I think you just pulled ahead.

I agree with this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think instead of a pull to refresh we should have to swipe a pattern to refresh.

Maybe like a pentagram or something.

Just throwing that out there.

PS Leave it alone for gods sake it works perfectly now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah but it’s ok to be wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

Nobody asked but I made this to replace the 'End of the Thread' text.

Ideally it would play just once rather than loop, maybe with a delay of a second at the start. Hopefully people think it's a good idea!

Here's a link in case you want to try putting it in a beta. I can finesse it a bit more later if it's a go.

I have a feeling that would not get through the Apple filter.

It’s loving awesome though lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I prefer timg, gives you a clickable thumbnail that goes from small to big

Yeah and I just use a shortcut on iOS that uploads the picture and spits out a timg link.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know I've brought this up before buuuttt I gotta say it again.

I like how when using the app on the iPad you can swipe right and it brings up the book marks. On the phone though you have to pull from the edge of the screen to get them to come up. Would it be at all possible to replicate that the way the iPad does it on the phone. I don't think a right swipe does anything on the phone right now.

It would make the app much more 1 hand friendly on the phone IMO.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I actually use a Shortcut (previously Workflow) that uploads the most the recent photo in the Photos library to my Imgur account (although you can also upload anonymously) as a jpeg, adds timg tags and copies to the clipboard so I can paste it into Awful.

Here's the actual script (I actually used the script to upload the screenshots one of which is cropped). You can also change the first step in the script to pick an image manually rather than picking up the most recent image.

Yeah just use that. If you are on an iPhone the app doesn’t like the file format that Apple is using now so it errors out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this is dumb and would probably never work correctly but!!!

I would love it if we could “download” a thread for offline viewing. I travel a bit and it would be cool to be able to catch up on threads I haven’t had a chance to read for a few days (I’m looking at you r/relationships thread)

I get that it probably be a nightmare to do but hey I figure shoot for the moon!

Thanks love app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Also, thanks for pointing out that the shortcuts app is, in fact, a separate app. That's a drat sight more useful than Siri shortcuts.

Make sure you add it to whatever the gently caress this screen is called.

The widgets screen?? I dunno what they actually call it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

You can do that, you can also have it create a “home screen” icons that launch the appropriate shortcut. They’re just like any other app icon, just instead of an app they launch specific shortcut scripts.

Oh well poo poo that’s super handy too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

There's actually a really lovely version of this already implemented. Awful caches any posts you load for about a week. So if you go into a thread and mash the next page button a few times, you'll have those pages cached for offline viewing. You won't get images, your "last read" marker doesn't work, and embedded tweets/videos won't work, but it's something!

I do have a proper offline mode on my list so I'll +1 it there.

You are awesome!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

It is the year 2076. Humanity lives underground, protected from the mutants that roam the frozen surface. The sun emits only the faintest light after the great catastrophe. Spoilers still do not work in Awful.app.

I’m not gonna lie spoilers are loving annoying anyway (the tags in threads). I feel like they are way over used.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

I found a bug, I think.

When you rate a thread using Awful App, it always registers as a 5, regardless of what you select.

Lol working as intended.

TBH I’d be surprised if the ratings registered at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Never had any spoiler issues and don’t use the alt theme.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d donate :10bux: for the app to have car play support and have Siri read the posts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dismas posted:

So if you hit edit on a post, cancel out, and then try to write a new post, it goes back to editing the old post unless you cancel out of that again

This is easy for me to accidentally do if I try to quote my own post and hit edit by mistake.

It’s actually awesome because it makes it super easy to multi quote or quote something from a few pages back if your kept reading.

I love love the feature.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jit bull transpile posted:

When I scroll through the lepers colony it will randomly jump downward dozens of lines when I scroll past some point.

It does the same thing with bookmarks. It has something to do with the way it’s loading them if you get to the end too fast.

So I just scroll slower :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

For the sake of clarity:

The Awful app shows this page when you click on messages:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/private.php?folderid=0&daysprune=9999

There does not appear to be any way, in the app, to view this page:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/private.php?folderid=-1&daysprune=9999

Ooooh ok yeah I see now. That’s weird I’ve never noticed it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Why is dark mode autodisabled?

Also it seems to not be toggling like it used to? Like before during the day it was off and would switch at night but it’s not doing that now for some reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Are the time zones off? Awful app is showing one hour behind my phone’s time for posts.

It’s working correctly for me.

2:41

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Adding that oled theme is awesome I really like it on my iPad Pro.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

I like the zoom. Tweet images are sometimes too small to read and this saves changing apps. It's good for avs too. Best of all you can't really trigger it accidentally.

Yeah I like the zoom

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

huhwhat posted:

I've just noticed the new zoom anywhere feature and I gotta say its n-n-nice.

So I like the zoom on my phone but on the iPad it’s kinda a pain in the rear end when it’s in landscape.

When it is the comments can pane can move around which seems weird. It’s not a huge deal but it does feel weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Having some issues not being able to post images from my camera album. Anything I missed besides making sure it’s updated and turned on and off?

Have you been able to do it previously?

Unless they changed it the upload doesn’t like the heic or whatever format the phots are stored in.