Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

Although from a certain point of view, they've already done that with some plot points, such as the Cadets episode from S1 ultimately being resolved in junior novels, as well as Kanan's backstory having an awesome comic series...

You're going to find that enjoyment many of the Star Wars media we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. I don't mind them taking the ephemeral details and fleshing them out with books and comics.

I find that by half hinting and having the character's pasts coming back to haunting them rather than getting stuck into episodes about back story and motivation makes them a lot more likable since your brain fills in the gaps. I like to imagine Sabine being an incredibly brutal bounty hunter and Zeb underplaying how much was taken from him and how far he has fallen. The character work is the best part of the show. Shallow enough so that they are not all horribly haunted and broken people so it can still be a kids show and implying a lot of depth. I am not a fan of the wankery that people have over Vader. But holy poo poo did they pull it off by making him a space terminator. It was all summed up in Ezra's line after they escape him the first time "What was that?"
Character and subtlety. Great show.

All that said, the Kanen comic was fantastic. A great twist on the "young idealistic kid becomes rogue and learns to be cynical"

EDIT:
Not to mention near the end of season 3 Maul's last words to Obi-Wan regarding Luke "He will revenge us" It's incredible what they did to a one note villain over the course of the 2 shows. That whole scene and fight was way more tense and emotional than it had any right to be. It's as much knowing when to pull back as to go all in.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Just wrapping up Episode 6 in time for 7.

Man, someone watched some Studio Ghibli when they were working on this season.

I agree that I think Kanan is not long for this vibration. Which is fine. It's interesting how they have dispensed with the personal bad guys. Thrawn really only views them as prize insects and they have no reason to really hate him above anyone else. It's very much the Empire versus this scrappy band.

My guess as to the ending is that after the sacrifice of Kanan. Ezra will step into the shadows. We will time jump to the end of the rebellion. Hera, Zeb and gang will all find their little places in their lives that we have seen and Ezra will find himself doing an Obi Wan on Lothall. Maybe acting as it's guardian. Maybe waiting for the Jedi to rise again.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I really like the Sabine/Mandalore episodes because it shows that the writers are trying really hard to build their own little slice of canon without being obnoxious. Even if you don't like the Madalorian stuff, you have to respect that they are trying to connect it to the old clone wars show. The episode where Kanan and Ezra train her with the dark saber was one of my favourite episodes. It's great when a show can sit back and say "This episode is all about character."

I have to say, most of the connections they made to the old clone wars show have been really well done.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Burning_Monk posted:

As someone who was a fan of the Thrawn books is was pretty cool to see Ruhk on screen.

:aaaaa: I knew the name seemed familiar. Thanks for pointing that out.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have to say that Lothal is one of my favourite Star Wars planets. It's one of the few shown that feels like a realistic planet with geography. Having the mountains, cities and grass plains do make it feel like a real place. And that establishing shot of the city with the Star Destroyer hanging there is amazing. Even though it really reminds me of Disneyland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

Even in Jedi the Emperor gives no shits about blowing up a moon full of his best dudes.

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best dudes awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

Yeah, it's an improvement

• Locked thread