Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
With Shadespire out on Saturday 21st October, it’s time for it to have it’s own thread.

What is Shadespire?

Shadespire is a board/miniatures/card game hybrid for 2 players (though it can be played with up to 4) from the people at Games Workshop. GW have been undergoing something of a renaissance recently and seem to have remembered that the best way to sell a lot of miniatures is to publish games that people want to play.

Shadespire is GW’s first serious attempt to create a game that can be played competitively, and play it quickly. Once you know how to play then you can play it in about 20-25 minutes, and it doesn’t take long to learn. Competitively you play to best of three games.

Shadespire is a cursed city who's inhabitants tried to cheat the God of Death Nagash by becoming immortal. It didn't go well for them. But the magical technology and refined 'shadeglass' that they have left behind is priceless to all factions warring in the mortal realms, who have sent small bands of fighters across the lifeless desert to plunder the ruins and catacombs of the city. But between the magical experiments of the cities inhabitants and the curse of the Death God the relationship Shadespire has with reality is tenuous at best, and the adventurers seen to have been there for as long as they can remember.......

Some of you may be familiar with collectable card or dice games played competitively.

Like fantasy flights hit dice and card game Star Wars Destiny

Or Wizards of the Coasts Magic The Gathering, which invented the collectable card game.

What does it involve?

Shadespire is closest to a Living Card Game like Netrunner. However in Shadespire you can only have one of each card in your deck, so you are not expected to buy multiples of each warband expansion or more than one starter, because the starter has everything you need to play, and each warband expansion gives you everything for that warband.

There is one multiple card piece of equipment spread throughout the expansion warband boxes, but if you are going to use it (and it is good if you get it into play) then you are building your entire strategy around it.

You can play and enjoy this game with just the basic game. You will be able to play competitively with just the basic game by the look of it.

Miniatures

Miniatures are plastic push fit models between about 35-40mm tall. These can be assembled using a pair of clippers and are push fit. Many people will paint them, but the miniatures from different factions are made in different colours of plastic to let you play with them instantly without getting confused with your opponents.

Cards

There are two card decks that you use. You start with three objective cards and five power cards in your hand.

Your objective deck contains twelve objective cards that let you score you Glory points when you meet the conditions on them. You will have 12 objective cards in your deck.

Your power deck contains ploy and equipment card. Ploy cards can be used to move fighters, trigger special effects, collapse part of the roof, etc. Equipment cards boost your fighters, but cost one Glory point to buy.

The game

Each game consists of three turns. Each player gets four activations a turn and activations alternate between players. You can move, fight, charge, discard a card from your hand and pick up a card of the same type, or trigger a special effect. Some warbands have more than four fighters, some have less, which means you may not get to activate all your models each turn.

Models can become inspired, flipping their cards over for improved stats and attacks. For each warband it is different. Stormcast become inspired when they successfully defend against an attack. Reavers become inspired when three models have been killed.

How does it play?

It’s a solid game that plays quickly with a lot of action. However instead of me just saying that, there are plenty of games up on youtube. I've played it twice though, and I say it is great, as has everyone I know who has played it.

Warbands

There have been six additional warbands announced to complement the Stormcast and Reavers in the starter, with two of them being released on 4th November. Each warband set includes all the miniatures, a deck of specific objective and power cards for that faction and an additional deck of generic cards that can be used by any faction.

STEELHEART’S CHAMPIONS

Steelheart's Champions are a small band of Stormcast Eternals, ghosts of dead heroes plucked from the afterlife and forced into bodies with strikes of lightning by the Man-God Sigmar. As they die they lose a piece of their soul to the God of Death, Nagash, their humanity slipping away with every death until they cannot remember their own names, only the endless cycle of death, killing and rebirth that they cycle through. Most Stormcast hide their blandly handsome faces behind death masks, as those faces are not the ones they had in life anyway, only a reminder of the humanity slowly being stolen from them.

In the game they are slow but hard hitting. When they successfully defend they become inspired and get additional damage on their attacks and an additional defence dice.

GARREK’S REAVERS

After the Man-God Sigmar abandoned the mortal realms to the predations of the Chaos Gods the humans left there had to fend for themselves in a world gone mad, and many followed the world into madness. Blood Reavers have turned to both cannabalism and the worship of Khorne, God of Blood and Slaughter, in order to survive for another day.

In the game they are fast. Three of the warband are hard hitting, two are light and only have two damage so die like flies. The warband inspires when any three models have been killed, from any warband, because Khorne doesn't care where the blood comes from, just that it flows. This means losing the two damage models if you can kill an enemy in return is a perfectly valid tactic when fighting a small warband like the Stormcast.

IRONSKULL’S BOYZ

Orks are thickly muscled greenskins who live for battle. They have fought off the predations of the followers of the Chaos Gods for thousands of years, and the eternal cycle battle in Shadespire is a process of proving their superiority over the warriors who contest their mastery of combat.

Orks are tough, strong defensively, and have two hard hitters and two less than hard hitters. They are faster than the Stormcast, but slower than the Reavers. They inspire as they take damage, their wounds making them fight harder to prove that Orks are, indeed, and have always been, the best.

SEPULCHRAL GUARD

The remains of the inhabitants of the city, they hope that by swearing loyalty to the God of Death and petitioning his forgiveness, they can be released from the eternal life they pursued. But Nagash is not known for his forgiving nature.....

With 7 fighters the sepulchral guard are the most numerous warband. They are also the slowest and many of the members are quite fragile. However the Sepulchral Warden can return killed models to the field by spending and action, and any model returned becomes inspired. The Warden can also sacrifice his action to move two other members of the warband, and there is an equipment card that increases that to three. I think this warband will be the toughest to play as you will need to plan ahead to mob enemy models with skeletons to bias attack dice rolls in your favour, and you really need to keep your Warden safe because only he can return other models to the board. There is a sepulchral card that lets you return any model to the board, but you might not have it in your hand.

They are the best looking warband in my opinion, and a lot of people are excited about getting new skeleton models.

There are another 4 factions not previewed yet, including

Skaven

Familiar from games like Vermintide, these are likely to be fast and sneaky. They are bickering man rats known for their addiction to sniffing powdered warpstone, stabbing people and squeaking.

Duardin Fyreslayers

These pantsless dwarves like being forcibly removed from elf kindergartens (and the mods were well aware of this) and getting tattoos by carving the design out of their flesh and pouring in molten gold. They are likely to be fairly hard hitting but painting the models will involve a lot of flesh.

Khorne Blood Warriors

These heavily armoured warriors of the Blood God will apparently also come with a flesh hound, which is like a corgi made of murder. Expect them to hit like a sack full of bricks with nails stuck in them. You'll get tetanus from looking at them.

Stormcast Vanguard Hunters

These are the scouts of Stormcast forces. It isn't known yet whether they will have bolters. I'm hoping they come with a gryph hound, a cross between a griffon and a dog.

Here are some good weblinks.

https://warhammerunderworlds.com - The official GW site, with breakdowns on the announced warbands, assembly and painting guides from Duncan.

Duncan is this guy, he will show you how to paint.

https://www.facebook.com/warhammerunderworlds/ - official GW facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/shadespire/ - this is the unofficial facebook group. I seem to be able to approve members on it for some reason.

Battle Reports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIotvqtBaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDbkS65tQFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYyGjVde5ao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think Warhammer is a tire fire these days but those are some sexy skeletons.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Those Fyreslayers are looking good.

I'm tentatively really excited to pick this up. I really like the look of a lot of the AoS model range but not enough to buy an entire army. It's much more palatable to grab a single cheapish box that will have your entire force for something like those naked dwarfs than buying an entire army.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pendent posted:

Those Fyreslayers are looking good.

I'm tentatively really excited to pick this up. I really like the look of a lot of the AoS model range but not enough to buy an entire army. It's much more palatable to grab a single cheapish box that will have your entire force for something like those naked dwarfs than buying an entire army.

Feel the same way.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Anyone have a paint scheme planned that's not the studio scheme? I need to figure out how to do the bloodreavers as I don't really like all the brown cloth in the studio models.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
I assembled the demo copy for FLGS and only needed to glue on one head, the rest all fit snugly, and they are pretty cool in person.

Played 2 games at the weekend against 2 different people, both as the bloodreavers. In both games we just went for objectives then a fight to see how all the different mechanics worked. Bloodreavers were terrible in combat (or I rolled bad, whatever) but it was great fun.

I assume they will bring out the factions and then an expansion which is more boards+cards to fill out the x/437? number on them. The rules talk about bringing your boards and putting one down from your collection.

The cards are standard sized (like mtg), so I was amused to see GW wanting £10 for the 72 sleeves, or alternatively you can buy 100 clear dragonshields for £7 which aren't the horrible printed sleeve quality.

Some who played/watched compared some of the tactics to BloodBowl which I haven't played so can't confirm. Lot's of cards you can play after actions to push people, swap them round, backstab etc.

There were a couple of things that were annoying and maybe it was us misunderstanding the rules. I didn't see if you could activate a model more than once or not, so we played as if you could - it was more clear you couldn't move again after moving as there's a tile for it, but not that you couldn't fight multiple times. And the terminology used, you have an Action phase where one of your 4 Activations can be to take an Action with a model. Also some of the cards let you do things which would normally be actions during that phase. Calling it the Round where each player has 4 Turns would have been less confusing instead of using the same gaming term in multiple places to mean different things.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

You can move once, charge once and do nothing else with that model for the rest of the turn, or fight as many times as you like.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Thundercloud posted:

You can move once, charge once and do nothing else with that model for the rest of the turn, or fight as many times as you like.

Awesome thanks - that's how we were playing it. Both people were able to have a quick game before heading off so we quickly checked rules for stuff and carried on if we couldn't find the answer.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Booyah- posted:

Anyone have a paint scheme planned that's not the studio scheme? I need to figure out how to do the bloodreavers as I don't really like all the brown cloth in the studio models.

I did a couple of AoS Blood Reavers where I swapped brown areas with areas I painted blue on other guys just for variety.

For me the stormcast guys are the ones I decided deserved a non-studio scheme.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the Shadespire models will look great in alternative schemes. I hate the standard gold stormcasts, but I want to give their maroon scheme a shot just to try out the color. I have no idea what I'd do differently with the Khorne guys. The orcs will look great in an old-school black orc scheme with a bunch of chipped black plates and the skeletons are an opportunity to try out a bunch of weathering. My main army, 30k Dark Angels, are black and silver so I might pass on that for the orcs so I can do something a little more colorful. Might just stick with the yellow.

Alan G posted:

Some who played/watched compared some of the tactics to BloodBowl which I haven't played so can't confirm.
:psyduck: Anyone comparing Shadespire to Blood Bowl has never played Blood Bowl and has no idea what they're talking about. The only real similarity is that models can gain assists from nearby allies. Also, there are dice with symbols instead of numbers.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 16, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Great OP! I played a demo of this at Adepticon and I've been looking forward to it since.

Booyah- posted:

I want to paint the sets in a murkier, bluer scheme to match the artwork on the cards.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently the GW tournament support is going to be alternate sculpts and premium cards. It sounds cool but I'm worried that the alternate sculpts might look different enough that it'll be harder for opponents to tell who does what. The model counts seem low enough that being able to tell who does what at a glance would be an important part of the game.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

richyp posted:

I did a couple of AoS Blood Reavers where I swapped brown areas with areas I painted blue on other guys just for variety.

For me the stormcast guys are the ones I decided deserved a non-studio scheme.

That touch of blue looks fantastic, I may have to do that.

Definitely agree on the stormcast, my color scheme is mostly hallowed knights:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Those Orcs are cool and it'd be nice to have a cool small game to play instead of the giant pile of 40k. Might pick this up if it seems like it's getting played locally.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Excited to see the Skaven stuff. I play AoS and enjoy it, but Skaven just need too many models to make an army, so this seems like a perfect chance to play them.

I hope it's Clan Eshin because ninjarats are cool.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Don't give GW money.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I AM CARVALLO posted:

give GW money.

It's better when Moola does it.

It's a good game. If you like playing games, you might like this.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Yeah, i'm planning on painting them all totally different, and maybe using different bases.

I really want to paint up the Bloodreavers as The Flayed. Those are the dudes that use the bones of their enemies to make their armor, right? They sound the most messed up, so that's my pick.

For the Stormcast I'm going to do my Red/Yellow Howling Dracoths.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Don't give GW money.

You're about a year behind the curve. A lot of the people who rallied around that cry have switched sides.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently the GW tournament support is going to be alternate sculpts and premium cards. It sounds cool but I'm worried that the alternate sculpts might look different enough that it'll be harder for opponents to tell who does what. The model counts seem low enough that being able to tell who does what at a glance would be an important part of the game.

I've seen some of the "cracked glass" cards they gave away for preorders, but hadn't heard about alt sculpts. At any rate, if you can get your hands on either, flip them on Ebay, because they will go for a mint.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

GW stores seem to be getting 20 sets of the cracked glass cards each to give with pre orders and sales.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got a pack of them when I preordered. If i can remember, i'll try to get some scans of them tomorrow so everyone can see.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
My local hobby shop said they'd only get them if their store ordered 20 copies. Not gonna happen for most stores.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Aren't they just alt art? I could go by the store for a demo to get a set but Sat is *family birthday day* seeing as I'm at a tourney friday and sunday.

Am I really missing out? I'd rather go get some paint from a store in the opposite direction...

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

DiHK posted:

Aren't they just alt art? I could go by the store for a demo to get a set but Sat is *family birthday day* seeing as I'm at a tourney friday and sunday.

Am I really missing out? I'd rather go get some paint from a store in the opposite direction...

The character art is the same, it just has a green background and there's a very slight reflective coating with a shattered glass imprint. They are pretty bad, when I get the game I will probably just use the default cards.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Shadespire and the new Warmachine game look pretty drat similar

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I got the cracked glass promo cards last weekend when I pre-ordered.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is there any terrain in this game? All the promotional photos just look like featureless arenas.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

No terrain. Just the boards. There are some impassable sections on the boards that I could see people making fillers for, but those sort of people are planning the rad conversions they will do on the models at the moment.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

StuG Jeebus posted:

Is there any terrain in this game? All the promotional photos just look like featureless arenas.

That's the point - it's a gateway game that is intended to pick up and go. The vision is for rows of tables set up like a Magic tournament, where you bring your board, your tokens, and models and go.

Deckbuilding 101 on the WH Community site, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's the point - it's a gateway game that is intended to pick up and go. The vision is for rows of tables set up like a Magic tournament, where you bring your board, your tokens, and models and go.

Deckbuilding 101 on the WH Community site, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I haven't seen it stated anywhere, but I'm assuming only one copy of a given card is allowed per deck?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Booyah- posted:

I haven't seen it stated anywhere, but I'm assuming only one copy of a given card is allowed per deck?

Yes. There are 2 different +1 wound cards though, so one game I got my stormcast leader up to 7 wounds.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Booyah- posted:

Yeah, having more than one card in your deck makes you auto-lose the game if you get caught.

No duplicates

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
My review copy of the game + orcs + skeletons came in today.

While I can't add much beyond what's been seen in videos and gameplay demos, I will say that the packaging and presentation remind me of a Fantasy Flight Games product. It's all very sturdy and cleanly designed. The game makes a great first impression.

There's also a small flier with "This was just the beginning..." on the front and an ad for Thunder & Blood on the back, which is smart. I'd imagine a lot of people (like me) will use Shadespire as a jumping-off point for Age of Sigmar.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My review copy of the game + orcs + skeletons came in today.

While I can't add much beyond what's been seen in videos and gameplay demos, I will say that the packaging and presentation remind me of a Fantasy Flight Games product. It's all very sturdy and cleanly designed. The game makes a great first impression.

There's also a small flier with "This was just the beginning..." on the front and an ad for Thunder & Blood on the back, which is smart. I'd imagine a lot of people (like me) will use Shadespire as a jumping-off point for Age of Sigmar.

What all comes in the orcs and skeleton boxes? Is it another combined set, or standalone ones?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

What all comes in the orcs and skeleton boxes? Is it another combined set, or standalone ones?

They are standalone so you need a core. It's the relevant figures and cards.

I wonder if they'll also sell new boards standalone.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just picked up my box. Really impressed with the quality of the core set and the sleeves as well.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
The minis are awesome. Got a game in and it was a lot of fun. I really like how objectives change the flow of the game. Hoping to get a bunch more games in since a round takes about a sixth of the time of a game of 40K. Really pumped for expansions already.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The replayability on this is crazy. We played 4 games today in the span of one game of pretty much anything else(~3 hours) and some 3-4 player games will be happening tomorrow. I can see I being someone's beer and pretzels game but there's a ton of depth, too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I got mine today and I'm really excited to play but need to paint the minis first! I agree the polish on this as a boxed game is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
It's very cool how everything can seem lost but a well executed final round and some good dice rolls can swing the game.