Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure my friends and I forgot knockback several times and it probably made a huge difference. Also just tactically I don't know if we had the right idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He mentioned the only thing we really did right was the cards. I’ll find out more Sunday when we play again!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Booyah- posted:

I'm pretty sure my friends and I forgot knockback several times and it probably made a huge difference. Also just tactically I don't know if we had the right idea.

Pushback and knockback can be very important. If you can trap a model against the edge so they can't be pushed back then you auto hit. You can push models off objective so they can't get back onto them. You can push models that have moved so they can't fight. You can push things from one board to another to deny objective cards.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I just opened the 'advanced' cards last night after playing 5 games or so and there is some really cool poo poo in there. The ploy that heals a Khorne Boy to full after killing a dude seems crazy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Aww dammit. Shadespire is just out of reach for free shipping. I need to wait until one of the other Warbands releases to avoid spending another 30 dollars on nothing.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I was super sad to see that the expansion forces don't come with boards

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Black_Nexus posted:

I was super sad to see that the expansion forces don't come with boards

Yeah you need a pal for that.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah you need a pal for that.

Well, I am gonna buy everything. So it doesn't matter to me, but I have a bunch of friends who don't want stormcast or Bloodbound so they are kind of flip flopping between buying in at all

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Black_Nexus posted:

Well, I am gonna buy everything. So it doesn't matter to me, but I have a bunch of friends who don't want stormcast or Bloodbound so they are kind of flip flopping between buying in at all

They will probably have boards for sale eventually at outrageous prices.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I've seen them parted out on ebay before, though there is nothing up in ebay uk at the moment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Black_Nexus posted:

If even one of your friends decides to get it you will have four boards at least.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If I preorder online and have it delivered to a store, does that mean I get it on release day?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Booyah- posted:

If I preorder online and have it delivered to a store, does that mean I get it on release day?

That’s what happened when I pre-ordered the base game.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

MonsterEnvy posted:

If even one of your friends decides to get it you will have four boards at least.

I know, I would just buy the box and resell the minis since people around here want both warbands to use as proxies in their AOS armies

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Aww dammit. Shadespire is just out of reach for free shipping. I need to wait until one of the other Warbands releases to avoid spending another 30 dollars on nothing.

They went up for preorder today.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They went up for preorder today.

Yep. I Ordered the Iron skulls. I will get the Skellies at a later date.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Black_Nexus posted:

I know, I would just buy the box and resell the minis since people around here want both warbands to use as proxies in their AOS armies

The Shadespire warbands have unique AoS rules that make them a bit better than their base class.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

jodai posted:

The Shadespire warbands have unique AoS rules that make them a bit better than their base class.

Yeah the 100pt 3 person Liberators-on-crack unit that gets the shield re-roll (for having 1 shield in the unit) a Damage 3 hammer and some nifty special rules is pretty cool.

The 60pt blood murder stabbers rules are here.

quote:

If Garrek Gorebeard slays an enemy model, you do not have to take a battleshock test for this unit that turn. In addition, at the end of any phase in which Garrek Gorebeard slays any enemy Heroes, add 1 to the Attacks characteristics of this unit’s melee weapons for the rest of the battle.

Reavers++.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

jodai posted:

Out of all of them, I think the Ironskull's Boyz are the best.

Ironjaws can use a 80 point unit

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Yeah I got my first game of this tonight and it kicks rear end. Definitely going to reserve literally everything as soon as my old army sells.

Edit: I cant wait to glue red static grass to my naked dwarves fyreslayers bear club.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I am super into painting the blood bound so far, I love that all 5 are different looking and I don't have to paint any more of them after it.

I also love the fact that the game just uses the warbands, and you can't use other older models so balance should technically be easier than AOS or 40k

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I love Black Orcs and Skellies so I have bought those two sets. I kind of resent having to get the box with the Stormfront and Scarlet Chorus in order to be able to play but the minis do look quite cool and obviously I need the rules etc. And it’s a decently low price so I guess I’ll suck it up.

Gonna get some more blandly handsome bare heads to put on the Stormfront minis as those helmets are so dull.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ended up playing two games this past sunday, the first being against a first time player with the shop manager showing me everything he and I did wrong the previous week. Really fun game, ended up tying it up.

Second game I played was Garreks Reavers vs. Garreks Reavers, with a more experienced player. Really fun, close game. He ended up losing in the end because he ended up charging Karsus and failing the attack with me having 3 activations remaining. Ended up killing his Karsus and his Garrek, and still moved up on objectives 3 and 5, which were my score cards. End of round 3 I score Annihilate, Score Objective 3 and Score Objective 5.

Ended up winning something like 18-7.

One thing I learned which is great - glory points still count toward the final score whether they've been spent or not. I've been hoarding them and not using upgrades because I thought if they were spend they didn't count, but nope!

Here's an action shot from round 2. My boys have the blue on them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

ineptmule posted:

I love Black Orcs and Skellies so I have bought those two sets. I kind of resent having to get the box with the Stormfront and Scarlet Chorus in order to be able to play but the minis do look quite cool and obviously I need the rules etc. And it’s a decently low price so I guess I’ll suck it up.

Gonna get some more blandly handsome bare heads to put on the Stormfront minis as those helmets are so dull.

You don't technically have to buy the core set unless you have no friends with it since the base game will support 2 players.

I'd also expect components to be available on ebay soon, since some people will just be buying this for the minis.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My club has quite a lot of Shadespire players already so I might be able to get away without buying the core box. Will see.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It seems like the only downside of starting with just an expansion is that you don't have the full selection of cards to build your deck. For example the orcs objective cards don't include the standard "hold X objective" cards, so if you want those cards you'd need a core set. On the plus side you still get some duplicates from the core set and they have tailored the available cards pretty well it seems based on what I've read in unboxing videos.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Booyah- posted:

It seems like the only downside of starting with just an expansion is that you don't have the full selection of cards to build your deck. For example the orcs objective cards don't include the standard "hold X objective" cards, so if you want those cards you'd need a core set. On the plus side you still get some duplicates from the core set and they have tailored the available cards pretty well it seems based on what I've read in unboxing videos.

It does seem like someone playing without all the cards would be at a disadvantage but I am not sure how much of one really

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Black_Nexus posted:

It does seem like someone playing without all the cards would be at a disadvantage but I am not sure how much of one really

Well, the best cards, from what I've seen so far are the faction-specific ones, as they seem to capitalize best on the strengths of the faction. So it remains to be seen how important having all the universal cards will be.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
FAQ: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_underworlds_shadespire_en.pdf

Resolves a lot of the common points of confusion, even though most are already spelled out in the rules (if you read them).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I think the only confusion my group ran into was for Righteous Strike. When you get to retry the failed attack against their leader, can you only do that once or does it loop until your attack succeeds?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

I think the only confusion my group ran into was for Righteous Strike. When you get to retry the failed attack against their leader, can you only do that once or does it loop until your attack succeeds?

RAW the latter given that it states you attack with 'this attack' again, which has the special rule. But, that's bullshit so we don't play it that way because then why even bother rolling dice?

The last ruling is interesting because it clarifies how some of the objectives work that I wasn't sure could be scored if an entire team was dead (like bulwark, or the one that says you have no enemy fighters adjacent to yours).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

RAW the latter given that it states you attack with 'this attack' again, which has the special rule. But, that's bullshit so we don't play it that way because then why even bother rolling dice?

The last ruling is interesting because it clarifies how some of the objectives work that I wasn't sure could be scored if an entire team was dead (like bulwark, or the one that says you have no enemy fighters adjacent to yours).

That was our conclusion though we allowed the automatic hit. It's strong against their leader but the attack is useless against any other target, so maybe balanced as an upgrade?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

bonds0097 posted:

Well, the best cards, from what I've seen so far are the faction-specific ones, as they seem to capitalize best on the strengths of the faction. So it remains to be seen how important having all the universal cards will be.

That is how I feel as well, although it doesn't seem like the new decks get take objectives 1-5 so they might want those(Or they could have different objectives that are amazing? Who knows lol)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Who is going to the first grand clssh tournament in Derby?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Black_Nexus posted:

That is how I feel as well, although it doesn't seem like the new decks get take objectives 1-5 so they might want those(Or they could have different objectives that are amazing? Who knows lol)

The skellys get a couple dual objective cards where you have to hold 1+2 or 3+4 and get 2 glory points in return, seems good when you have the model count to do so.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

The skellys get a couple dual objective cards where you have to hold 1+2 or 3+4 and get 2 glory points in return, seems good when you have the model count to do so.

That's pretty interesting.

Looks like we're doing a local event/tourney the 11th which should be fun, lots of people are picking up the new warbands so should make for some decent variety. I will likely be boring and play sigmarites because they're the only warband I've painted so far.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

bonds0097 posted:

That's pretty interesting.

Looks like we're doing a local event/tourney the 11th which should be fun, lots of people are picking up the new warbands so should make for some decent variety. I will likely be boring and play sigmarites because they're the only warband I've painted so far.

I am still working on getting more people in my group to play, I really want this game to succeed

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I've been playing this with the missus most evenings since release and it's really growing on me...

I like how you can mess up in the first round, but still have a decent chance of making a comeback by the end

The starting steps need to be outlined on the reference page on the back, but apart from that it only really took a few games to get up to speed.

Looking forward to the skellymen and orcs this weekend!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

You could split the two starting forces and sell them for $25 each and make your money back, while still keeping the other components - the leaders are going for $18 each alone. The factions are actual units in AoS, and there are people who would be happy to take them off your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah that’s not a bad call. I might just keep them as I kind of like the idea of having multiple faction options in case I introduce normal board game friends to it (if I can convince them to play a game with miniatures at all - it can be quite a challenge.)