Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

BloodRed posted:

I've been playing this with the missus most evenings since release and it's really growing on me...

I like how you can mess up in the first round, but still have a decent chance of making a comeback by the end

The starting steps need to be outlined on the reference page on the back, but apart from that it only really took a few games to get up to speed.

Looking forward to the skellymen and orcs this weekend!

One of my favourite parts about it is there's little bits of strategy everywhere that open themselves. It's surprisingly elegant. Like, you can probably take out those 2 health Reavers.....but then the rest of the warband is much closer to powering up. This game might be the most impressed I've been with a GW game in a while. I just hope the game is actually reasonably balanced (and continues to be). Not like 2 months later, 90% of people playing 1 warband.

Also dear god I hope the OP isn't correct that warbands 7 and 8 are Khorne and Sigmar again. There's so freaking much they could do instead! Treemen! Elves! Lizardmen! Ghouls! Ghosts! 4 Chaos Demons!

bonds0097 posted:

They are definitely doing Khorne and Sigmar again. Blood Warriors and Vanguard or whatever the sigmar crossbow dudes are called. I think Skaven and Naked Dorfs come after that.

:(

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Wazzu posted:

One of my favourite parts about it is there's little bits of strategy everywhere that open themselves. It's surprisingly elegant. Like, you can probably take out those 2 health Reavers.....but then the rest of the warband is much closer to powering up. This game might be the most impressed I've been with a GW game in a while. I just hope the game is actually reasonably balanced (and continues to be). Not like 2 months later, 90% of people playing 1 warband.

Also dear god I hope the OP isn't correct that warbands 5 and 6 are Khorne and Sigmar again. There's so freaking much they could do instead! Treemen! Elves! Lizardmen! Ghouls! Ghosts! 4 Chaos Demons!

They are definitely doing Khorne and Sigmar again. Blood Warriors and Vanguard or whatever the sigmar crossbow dudes are called. I think Skaven and Naked Dorfs come after that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

You could split the two starting forces and sell them for $25 each and make your money back, while still keeping the other components - the leaders are going for $18 each alone. The factions are actual units in AoS, and there are people who would be happy to take them off your hands.

Would you just sell them on ebay in that case? I might try that with the skellys and orcs to get the duplicate cards for 2 people

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

Would you just sell them on ebay in that case? I might try that with the skellys and orcs to get the duplicate cards for 2 people

Yeah, people are selling the minis solo on ebay.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

You might want to keep an eye out for the cards on Ebay - people are definitely going to buy the skellies and orcs just for the models.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wazzu posted:

Also dear god I hope the OP isn't correct that warbands 7 and 8 are Khorne and Sigmar again. There's so freaking much they could do instead! Treemen! Elves! Lizardmen! Ghouls! Ghosts! 4 Chaos Demons!

I'm sure they'll expand at some point, but the rulebook that comes with shadespire details all the warbands that are coming out in the initial wave. we're getting a warband of Stormcast Vanguard-Hunters and one of Blood Warriors at some point.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm already looking forward to the next core set. More boards and possibly different types of objectives.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly given my budget and some hiccups with mtg in my area i'll probably pick this up for a local tournament. I looked through the upcoming warbands and honestly I feel like a weirdo for being the most hyped about the other Khorne guys. 8ft tall armored blender is more my style of Khorne rather than the naked screamy men.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm curious to see what they do with them because the models so far have been really well done.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
At the first big event. They are doing an announcement at 8pm, which I am guessing will be the next two warbands.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Came 26th. Skaven preview should be going up on warhammer community soon. 6 models and a different playstyle to the other warbands.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just built the skellys and orruks. Really nice models and some of the new cards are fantastic

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

Came 26th. Skaven preview should be going up on warhammer community soon. 6 models and a different playstyle to the other warbands.
The skaven look interesting. I was expecting a bunch of night/gutter runner types, but they seem to be more traditional clanrats. I was going to say I was expecting some neat skitterleap/teleportation cards, but I don't know anymore.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So those of you that have played, is this game kid friendly? I have an 8 year old and 12 year old that might be interested.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thundercloud posted:

Interesting that the skaven have less models than the skelemans

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

TKIY posted:

So those of you that have played, is this game kid friendly? I have an 8 year old and 12 year old that might be interested.

Very. My 8 and 11 yr old could manage it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Skaven preview video on GW Site - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/news-codexes-heroes-blood-glorygw-homepage-post-3/

Looks to be mainly Stormvermin to me as they all have breastplates?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TKIY posted:

One of the kids that comes down here is 7 and manages to play it, a bit with minor help from his Dad to remember when to use certain cards.

He's also the luckiest little git I know. I've never seen such lucky dice rolling ever.

Zark the Damned posted:

Skaven preview video on GW Site - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/news-codexes-heroes-blood-glorygw-homepage-post-3/

Looks to be mainly Stormvermin to me as they all have breastplates?

They're all Clanrats. Really dig the leader's sculpt, he'll make a great Warlord.

Kinda surprised they're not as numerous as the Skeles.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Wtf not Eshin gently caress this poo poo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I'm trying to work out how to Eshinify them. Gonna need capes at least.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Two of them look Eshin style. One using Eshin claw blades and one using a reverse gripped dagger with another dagger in tail.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

SteelMentor posted:

He's also the luckiest little git I know. I've never seen such lucky dice rolling ever.

This always is the way when playing kids

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Did you go to the grand clash too?

I also found out when you hit 10,000 youtube subscribers GW start sending you free poo poo. Only 9950 to go.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

i haven't played gw games in years but this looks like a nice throw yer dice and drink beer game which I'm really lacking, and those skeletons are loving awesome looking...

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

i haven't played gw games in years but this looks like a nice throw yer dice and drink beer game which I'm really lacking, and those skeletons are loving awesome looking...

A not insignificant amount of beer was drunk at the tournament.

But yes, it is a good casual and quick game. You can polish your deck like your finest hanzo steel if you like, but you don't have to.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

Wtf not Eshin gently caress this poo poo

I think the whole deal with Shadespire that these guys are all pretty average Joes that went into the city looking for some loot. Eshin aren't really going to fall into that category.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Minus that one of those Rats is clearly an Eshin rat.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The expansions have some extremely powerful generic cards. They seem like must buys if you are making a competitive deck, particularly the orc one.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Booyah- posted:

The expansions have some extremely powerful generic cards. They seem like must buys if you are making a competitive deck, particularly the orc one.

Yeah having finally got round to looking at the cards I'd agree. There's some great ones in there, especially the neutrals. Deck building is going to be fun.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the miniatures painting thread:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Decided to copy the name and the scheme of my random chapter for my Shadespire Stormcast Warband.

Really happy with how it turned out overall. Star Justicars Stormhost - Obryn the Bold. Gotta do the bases still.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Crossposting from the miniatures painting thread:

That's looking extremely good. Really nice work on the shoulder pads, I'd be ecstatic if I could get mine that clean.

Serotonin posted:

Yeah having finally got round to looking at the cards I'd agree. There's some great ones in there, especially the neutrals. Deck building is going to be fun.

In particular I feel like Highway Robbery is an auto-include in every deck.

When it goes off it's a 2 point swing and you've denied them a potential upgrade and got one for yourself, and playing it requires no setup or anything from you.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Picked up my core box and expansions today. Enjoyed building the minis except for the skeletons. They are lovely sculpts to be sure but are just so delicate that sometimes the only way to properly push the pieces together requires an amount of force that threatens to bend or break limbs really easily.

Looking forward to playing some games tomorrow, haven’t decided which faction I’ll try first.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed the Grand Clash tourney. Lots of solid guys there, played 8 games, won 5, came 26th.

Got the participation alt art cards, giving them away as a subscriber raffle on my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_pVYQTj0M

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Booyah- posted:

Booyah- posted:

In particular I feel like Highway Robbery is an auto-include in every deck.

When it goes off it's a 2 point swing and you've denied them a potential upgrade and got one for yourself, and playing it requires no setup or anything from you.
I think I'm still gonna pick up the skeleton box since I have a friend who bought the base game, but this kind of stuff is still discouraging.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Booyah- posted:

Sounds like GW are learning from FFG

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

From what I understand, unlike FFG you don't have to buy multiple of the same expansion to get the upgrades you want thanks to the one per deck limit? Seems okay.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

BJPaskoff posted:

From what I understand, unlike FFG you don't have to buy multiple of the same expansion to get the upgrades you want thanks to the one per deck limit? Seems okay.

Yeah, nothing wrong with creating incentives for people to buy your stuff. And if you're playing casually you don't need anything aside from the core and warband you're actually interested in. The sculpts are so cool, I just want them all and have them in a cool display once painted.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Zark the Damned posted:

To be fair it’s going to be much easier to sell unwanted Shadespire minis than it is X Wing models minus cards.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Daylight Robbery isn't a must include, but is nice to have in a gently caress you deck (like mine for Bloodbound, where there is the strip inspire and you can't get it back card as well).

The base game set is quite competitive and made up most of my deck, and ditto for the Stormcast players I faced.

At serious uber competitive level people will want every faction for the cards and factions, but compared to X wing and Magic the cost is much lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Thundercloud posted:

Daylight Robbery isn't a must include, but is nice to have in a gently caress you deck (like mine for Bloodbound, where there is the strip inspire and you can't get it back card as well).

The base game set is quite competitive and made up most of my deck, and ditto for the Stormcast players I faced.

At serious uber competitive level people will want every faction for the cards and factions, but compared to X wing and Magic the cost is much lower.

Right now one Shadespire expansion costs less than a medium-sized X-wing xpac