Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Crackbone posted:

I’m waiting for the Zimba 5000 but Kevtris hasnt said poo poo about it for almost two years.

He has said that since Analog hired him, it's been put on hold, since they are paying him to create it basically for their system. In a few (5+?) years when he has all the cores done, he will release the Zimba 3000, although by the time it happens, maybe it will be the 5000...

He has answered this question a few time since working on the NT, but lately he's be silent b/c of an NDA on his next project. The easy money is on a Sega "NT".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

And sports.

And potty humor.

And disney

Any games that used lots of sprites or relied on CPU grunt (eg. unassisted 3d graphics etc) were generally better on the Genesis too. Also many Genesis->SNES ports were hosed up during the transition, despite having superficial graphical upgrades.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The rule is that the SNES had the better port of everything except when ultraviolence was involved.

The SNES is probably my favorite system but this isn't the case for pretty much any arcade game

e: except sf2*

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Special Champion Edition > SNES Hyper Fighting

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Progress on the cocktail Gyruss:

I need to adjust the lights on the 2P side because they’re not quite ready for showtime, but it’s coming along nicely!

As you can see at the base, they’re manually plugged into a socket right now, but I’m hoping to connect female USB plugs to the inside power block in order to have the lights turn on as soon as the cabinet is powered.

The light makes it pop. I love it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

falz posted:

Always a good opportunity to share Ben Heck's comparison using an oscope.

https://youtu.be/yGzgKCsrNHM

Skip to 15mins or so if you have no patience.

I enjoyed that video. I appreciated the objective look at the hardware, but found the overall look at the comparison (i.e., 'Doing the math') a rather Jaguar-esque argument. Then I again, I opened my rear end up to that argument by claiming Genesis technical superiority, so like you do. That being said, it's undeniable that the SNES's audio hardware and # of colors displayed is a huge, huge advantage. Comparatively, these key aspects of gameplay (sound and visual color quality) were limitations for Genesis developers that SNES devs didn't have to worry about as much.

I still find it fascinating that even with a two-year gap, the SNES still had a dog-slow CPU compared to the Genesis - apparently for the sake of backward compatibility that Nintendo never made good on (another area in which Sega does what Nintendon't - but then again, I can name at least five NES classics off the back of my hand whereas I will struggle to do the same for the Master System).

I actually like the Genesis' sound better (it has a crisp, precise quality to it that I appreciate), but it was drat easy to make things that sounded like poo poo on the Genesis because producing good music for it demanded that you understand its limitations and play to its strengths. On the other hand, I feel that the SNES allowed composers to create music more naturally, because it was the first console that really came close to emulating real instruments - you can tell that the BGM for LttP's overworld are supposed to be horns and that have that 'natural' quality to them, which is a hard effect for the Genesis to produce because it has a definite 'chip' quality to its music.

And then you just give the Genesis audio hardware over to Yuzo Koshiro/Technosoft and holy poo poo, it's amazing despite the limitations.

Random Stranger posted:

The rule is that the SNES had the better port of everything except when ultraviolence was involved.

Except Shmups.

Except Shooters (e.g., Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike).

(What we're saying is that there are a lot of exceptions to the rule - almost enough that maybe it isn't a very good rule).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LuiCypher posted:

I still find it fascinating that even with a two-year gap, the SNES still had a dog-slow CPU compared to the Genesis - apparently for the sake of backward compatibility that Nintendo never made good on (another area in which Sega does what Nintendon't - but then again, I can name at least five NES classics off the back of my hand whereas I will struggle to do the same for the Master System).
Again, by most metrics your typically-clocked 68k is more powerful than the 65c816, but the gap isn't as wide as the Genesis vs. SNES clock rates would have you believe. The 65c816 could access RAM in fewer cycles, but had a paltry number of registers. Overall the two processors were comparable in ability so it wasn't a totally unreasonable choice for the SNES's design.

Also the 68k wasn't a new processor. It debut in 1979 and was used in arcade hardware throughout the 80s. Sega took a gamble on being able to source 68k chips cheap enough to build a console around their existing arcade platforms and that much did work out for them. By the early 90s the 68k was cheap and in everything.

I wouldn't say that backwards compatibility wasn't a factor. In the 8/16-bit eras most code was written in assembly, so having a CPU that was compatible with hand-written assembly routines written for an earlier platform was beneficial even if the SNES was not directly backwards compatible with NES cartridges.

In general though, consoles were designed around GPUs doing the heavy lifting and absolute CPU power wasn't a major factor. The era from 1993-2006 was an aberration as CPUs were powerful and cheap enough to run custom routines for rendering, physics, etc., to make them a feature part of the platforms. But after the PS3 we saw a return to systems with decent, but fairly standard CPUs combined with powerful, but relatively purpose-specific GPUs.

LuiCypher posted:

I actually like the Genesis' sound better (it has a crisp, precise quality to it that I appreciate),
Good FM synthesis can be really good. But most composers have an easier time working with sampled instruments than building FM ones.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Progress on the cocktail Gyruss:

I need to adjust the lights on the 2P side because they’re not quite ready for showtime, but it’s coming along nicely!

As you can see at the base, they’re manually plugged into a socket right now, but I’m hoping to connect female USB plugs to the inside power block in order to have the lights turn on as soon as the cabinet is powered.

The light makes it pop. I love it.

Here’s the 2P, realigned:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
also go save my rear end, the loading on snes games is actually the CPU decompressing data off of the cart; the access method is still fast, it's the processing that's slow. see: too many things happening in games like super metroid (and also speeding it up by laying a power bomb so the audio queue gets cleared lol).

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Making a pilgrimage to Galloping Ghost this Saturday. Any lesser known arcade game recs?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Breadallelogram posted:

Making a pilgrimage to Galloping Ghost this Saturday. Any lesser known arcade game recs?

There's a lot of good stuff there. When I went with friends last year, we took an hour or two to go through everything, then found the stuff we really wanted to spend a lot of time on.
They have Time Traveler and another early "hologram" game. They're not very good, but they're really fun oddities.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Huh.

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/unreleased-1994-platformer-project-hardcore-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita-in-first-half-of-2019

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

As the other guy said, check out the Sega hologram games. They also have a Primal Rage II prototype cabinet (only one in existence), and a couple of The Grid, which is Unreal Tournament meets Smash TV and was made by Midway. There's usually people playing The Grid, so it's not hard to get a full game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Special Champion Edition > SNES Hyper Fighting

Samurai Shodown also. It's like an order of magnitude better on the Genesis.

Takara's Art of Fighting port on the SNES is really cool though, and they went WAAAAAAAY above and beyond the call of duty with the soundtrack, a lot of people like the arrangements more than the Neo Geo version. The Genesis version (and their attempt at porting AoF2 to the SNES) try to stick closer to the Neo Geo game and are worse off for it.

That reminds me, PCE CD Art of Fighting and the PCE version of Street Fighter II Champion Edition, are those like the most ambitious fighting game ports ever from the early/mid 90s? Because holy poo poo the way they used the PCE's resolution trickery (typically employed for things like displaying status text at the top or bottom of the screen) to try to recreate the zooming in an out on Art of Fighting. :aaaaa: And PCE SF2 is legendary just for how well it works on that hardware even if got eclipsed by newer versions of SF2 coming out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

As the other guy said, check out the Sega hologram games. They also have a Primal Rage II prototype cabinet (only one in existence), and a couple of The Grid, which is Unreal Tournament meets Smash TV and was made by Midway. There's usually people playing The Grid, so it's not hard to get a full game.

The Grid fuckin' rules, I used to play that all the time at a mall that near me.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

The Grid fuckin' rules, I used to play that all the time at a mall that near me.

It's great. Have you ever seen Unreal Championship 2?

It's a third person Unreal game developed by Midway that has Mortal Kombat guest characters. And it looks very much like an extension of The Grid with an emphasis on melee combat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

It's great. Have you ever seen Unreal Championship 2?

It's a third person Unreal game developed by Midway that has Mortal Kombat guest characters. And it looks very much like an extension of The Grid with an emphasis on melee combat.

Hell yeah :hfive: I haven't played it in forever but I had it for XBox and it owned.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

Midway only published it. It was developed by Epic themselves. It also used a custom engine, "Unreal Engine 2X", that was optimised for the Xbox hardware to push out more polygons. I don't think anyone ever licensed that version, which is odd considering how much Epic pushed licensing.

Odd game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

Midway only published it. It was developed by Epic themselves. It also used a custom engine, "Unreal Engine 2X", that was optimised for the Xbox hardware to push out more polygons. I don't think anyone ever licensed that version, which is odd considering how much Epic pushed licensing.

Odd game.

That was such a weird deal, Midway was going to publish three Epic games on consoles for them, but they only got up to Unreal Championship 2 and Unreal Tournament III.

I wish Unreal Championship 2 had come out on PC also so more people could play it and it might have gotten another installment because Unreal Tournament III was an embarrassment.

The jump in quality from Unreal Championship 1 to 2 is pretty crazy.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I was always under the impression that the amazing visual effects in games like Batman & Robin and Hard Corps was thanks to the extra CPU grunt of the Genesis' 68k? In any case, the software sprite zooming in the Road Rash games was pretty drat impressive, even if the framerate left a lot to be desired.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Is there an option for playing Saturn games from a flash drive or sd card other than waiting for the GDEmu guy to actually make more than 4 Phoebe/Rhea cards that just immediately get bought up by scalpers?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Null of Undefined posted:

Is there an option for playing Saturn games from a flash drive or sd card other than waiting for the GDEmu guy to actually make more than 4 Phoebe/Rhea cards that just immediately get bought up by scalpers?

I think that's about it currently.

Anyone have an updates as to what Professor Abrasive is up to with his project to develop his ODE based on the Saturn's video CD port?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Wait for the flashcart that uses the Video Card slot, I guess.

This thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

e: f,b

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Null of Undefined posted:

Not yet, but there’s a work in progress add-on card.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hope that expansion slot solution works out. I’ve lost all hope of buying anything from GDEmu guy.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Kins posted:

Odd game.

Huh, I did not know it was still developed by Epic. So is there any actual connection between it and The Grid outside of the one I created in my head?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I might finally have to buy a Saturn.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I might finally have to buy a Saturn.

same here. Dude is a wizard, love it.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

LuiCypher posted:

And then you just give the Genesis audio hardware over to Yuzo Koshiro/Technosoft and holy poo poo, it's amazing despite the limitations.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Good FM synthesis can be really good. But most composers have an easier time working with sampled instruments than building FM ones.

Getting good sounds out of the Genesis requires two things: a skilled composer, and a good sound driver. Most Western developers used the bog-standard GEMS driver, and from what I've been told it's a flaming pile of garbage. The best Japanese composers used their own in-house sound drivers and tools, and were able to squeeze some amazing sounds out of the hardware. Gauntlet IV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnkXMZk_4_4&t=141s) and Bad Omen/Devilish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqJQxWgOjJo) are two of my favorite go-to examples.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Ok someone make a Super NT equivalent of the Sega Genesis now thanks.
Trip Hawkins, some guy from a small time game studio from back in the day did that already years ago.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Breadallelogram posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CZRu6RIh.jpg

I'm only half kidding.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jesper Kyd also took Batman and instead of making a bad approximation of the show’s music he just made a club rave dance track. They lean into the music very heavily, the actual game is practically silent.

Batman and Robin’s genesis soundtrack is basically the soundtrack to Batman Beyond.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm not saying this is a good game but it certainly made me laugh.

https://i.imgur.com/Aeu3KJb.jpg

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Good god. Putting both of them in a single arcade is bad enough, but putting them both in the same machine should result in someone being dragged to the Hague.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

All New Sonic posted:

Getting good sounds out of the Genesis requires two things: a skilled composer, and a good sound driver. Most Western developers used the bog-standard GEMS driver, and from what I've been told it's a flaming pile of garbage. The best Japanese composers used their own in-house sound drivers and tools, and were able to squeeze some amazing sounds out of the hardware. Gauntlet IV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnkXMZk_4_4&t=141s) and Bad Omen/Devilish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqJQxWgOjJo) are two of my favorite go-to examples.

Here's one of the most important things about the GEMS toolset - what it was designed for was ease of porting the music from late 80s Sega arcade titles and for making new music in that general style and sorts of sounds. When you stick to doing those things, it does work quite well. But it doesn't really stand up well to trying other sorts of sounds, or porting soundtracks from different sorts of arcade/console systems, and since those things are what most games on the system wanted to do, wellll

Think of it like being handed an old timey artist's pallette that only has red, yellow, and a tiny bit of black paint on it. You can take these things and easily make a painting of something in silhouette against a setting sun, or slices of an apple, or a desert. But it's going to take considerably more effort to create a good painting of a green meadow against a clear sky, or even to just draw a traffic light - you can do it but if you're not good it's going to look crappy even though a masterful artist can make it work despite the limitations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's a shame the rest of the world is so hosed up because retro gaming has never really been better or easier.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I’ve got like, three Time Killers PCBs that were part of a lot I bought ages ago. I couldn’t help but wonder if some arcade owner invested heavily when SFII & Mortal Kombat were big.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

All New Sonic posted:

*furiously searches for copies of Gauntlet IV for sale*

falz posted:

I'm not saying this is a good game but it certainly made me laugh.

https://i.imgur.com/Aeu3KJb.jpg

Truly the daily cursed image.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gauntlet 4 was designed by the guys who would go on to make M2 so of course it's an amazing piece of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Gauntlet 4 was designed by the guys who would go on to make M2 so of course it's an amazing piece of work.
It was M2's first ever game, so of loving course it was an incredible retro update.

You think those guys would get tired of being typecast so hard, but I checked their website and apparently they build a bunch of tech for visual novels or whatever so I guess they can get a change of scenery when they want.