Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey just plugging my thread as I figure it might be of some interest to folks here. I'm starting a game club where we play through a Game Boy game each month and talk about it, with an extra challenge thrown in to give people something to shoot for (if they want to). Just exploring the Game Boy library for now but might branch out into other systems once we get rolling if there's enough interest or people are sick of the Game Boy. We're kicking off tomorrow starting from midnight GMT, check it out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Think it might be time for me to grab a second hand Wii U and custom firmware it up to cover Gamecube/Wii/Wii-U era stuff because that looks ace.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

that jingle at the end, was that monkey island?

Hell yeah it is.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

:stare: How do I give you money for one of these?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

Dont be silly, there will never be a third power stone

:master:

......:negative:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I probably could have gotten a pre-order in, but I hesitated because they wanted US$90 to ship it to Australia and then it sold out anyway so I guess it's a moot point.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I would've preferred a second wave of the Pocket but I know that's not really a bold/brave opinion to hold.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Open-world games in the Ubisoft mold are the modern collectathon game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

is that snes shadowrun game worth playing?

It's the best Australian-developed SNES game. :australia:

I think that the Genesis Shadowrun does a better job of capturing the atmosphere of Shadowrun but it's a fun RPG regardless with a pretty awesome soundtrack - maybe use a guide liberally though depending on how patient you are, I remember some stuff in that game being pretty obtuse to figure out.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Any body else thinking New Year's retro gaming resolutions yet?

Got an Everdrive incoming for my Game Boy, gonna play a ton more games on my backlit-screen modded GBC and try some speedrunning of Kirby's Dream Land and maybe Ducktales (GB).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The three console start ups etched in my brain are the PS1 rumble, OG Xbox plasma reactor startup and the gentle, soothing Dreamcast intro that was completely drowned out from piercing flat battery VMU screech accompaniment and frantic fan/disk noises).

What I'm saying is that clearly the defining characteristic of a good console startup is ominous amounts of volume.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This owns.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I go down a rabbit hole about once a year thinking about buying a Vectrex. They are expensive, but don't seem to have been affected by the covid bump. Also worried about it getting shipped safely. Had one as a kid and it was pretty awesome.

There's also people who make a UV light mod for it and UV reactive overlays that look awesome.

Big same.

I found a place near me selling one for AUD$650 and it looks awesome but like.... six hundred and fifty dollars for something I know will mostly sit on my shelf as a curiosity.

I could get more handhelds for my burgeoning handheld collection for the same price. :retrogames:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Daddys hot grill posted:

Speaking of game music, this commercial has been on TV recently. I was thinking how familiar the music sounded and then it clicked. I would surprised if anyone here didn't recognise it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nT10RpkGY

It reminds me of the time I had 24 on in the background and the music for the scene was the same as the Buddha Temple in Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven.

Love hearing video game music outside of video games.

Should've been this imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've held on to my first console - a PAL SNES - for ages despite having long since not had a compatible TV to plug it in to. A while ago I picked up an old crappy CRT that was going cheaply and resolved that I'd fix it up and play through some of my old carts one last time before selling it all on and just using my MISTer for any revisits of the SNES library. I disassembled and cleaned the console and hooked it back up and it powers on but doesn't seem to be reading carts properly. I did manage to get Parodius to boot up and that was mostly working fine until I got the laser at which point any time I fired a bunch of the sprites of the screen would start wildly scrolling and freaking out :allears:

I tried to clean the cart slot a bit more without disassembly but it doesn't seem to have improved, so I'm going to open it back up again and take another thorough look. Can anyone suggest any resources/guides for other stuff I should be checking on the board that might be causing issues? I'm not particularly electronics literate but I'm willing to play around/learn with this as it's already not working so if I do irreparably gently caress something up it's not like it'll be much worse than it is now.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I know that when I was voraciously diving into the SNES and Mega Drive libraries (Mega Drive is a way better name than Genesis, fight me) in the early 00s thanks to discovering the wonders of emulating the poo poo out of absolutely everything, I ran out of stuff that I could be bothered playing for the Mega Drive a whole lot quicker.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I'll keep it in mind since overseas shipping rates are especially bad everywhere. It'll probably be something like "Are you willing to ship internationally? Yes, on the same continent/Yes, anywhere/No"

Yeah this seems like the best way to handle it.
I've participated in the TradGames secret santa a bunch over the years and recommend wholesale stealing Leperflesh's approach.

Random Stranger posted:

Something I needed to ask on the secret Santa rhing: how much is appropriate to recommend for gifts. I'm wavering between $30 and $50 as a recommendation. Of course it's just a recommendation so it probably doesn't matter much...

USD$30 not including shipping seems like a good minimum to me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Well, for better or worse I've ordered a Pocket. USD$90 for shipping to Australia was a very unpleasant pill to swallow, but I understand that shipping from the US is generally pretty hosed right now.

Be interested to see what group I land in; the longer I have to wait for this thing the more my initial hype and lust for it is likely to fade and I might end up just cancelling and getting a refund.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The upside of my Group B Pocket order is maybe by the time it ships, Analogue has ironed out the issues with the Everdrive GB X7 and/or released the jailbreak firmware.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I keep thinking about it, but I always felt bad not having the time to keep up with it/keep things rolling when I made that one and I suspect I have even less time now.

I still might do it though, I really love the GB and GBC.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright, I'll throw up a thread in the next day or two unless someone beats me to it.

I think this:

Ineffiable posted:

My suggestion is that you should offer up to 4 games and rotate say... Every 2 (maybe 3 if they're longer games) weeks. Play one or all of them.

or something like it is a good suggestion, particularly if we wanted to also include GBC games as well. (Edit: And I guess GBA? I don't know, despite being part of the Game Boy line of systems GBA has always felt very, very removed to the GB/GBC for me.)

I think I still have a list somewhere of games we never got to that I was super keen to see other people try (James Bond) but this also gives me an excuse to break out my new copy of Game Boy: The Box Art Collection from Bitmap Books to find some interesting gems.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 29, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Game Boy Game Club rides again

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This rules! It's as if M2 did a Police Quest 3D for the 3DS. I would be super down for both remakes of Sierra AGI games in this and new stuff built in that style.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Very down for retro RPG club when it kicks off.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Of all the things to see on the Steam thread, this basically came out of nowhere. I imagine some of you here will get a kick out of this. Pretty work if nothing else.

God, these are stunning.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I didn't have any ethical concerns about pirating otherwise unavailable games anyway but lmao get hosed Nintendo.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RIT dye is good poo poo, we use it on our belts at my karate dojo. Nice to know I now have something to do with my excess old belt colours :v:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Scholtz posted:

You're tellin' me I can just dye myself a blackbelt? And get all the stats that come with it???

Crafted gear is OP

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Been thinking about PAL games. Rambling musings follow, feel free to ignore.

The retro game scene is pretty heavily dominated by framing video game history around Japan and the US, with acknowledgement of the UK (and pretty much only the UK) as "oh and also microcomputers were popular there". The rise of emulation and the nature of endlessly churning content creation means there's plenty of videos online of TEN HIDDEN PAL GEMS YOU ****MUST**** PLAY ON <SYSTEM>!?!?!?! but it feels so much harder to track down interesting articles relating to PAL gaming, or dives into history of PAL related stuff compared to the (comparative) glut of that sort of material for the US/JP or even the UK computing scene.

To give some context I'm in Australia where as best as I can recollect we had a weird mashup in the late 80s and early 90s of consoles and microcomputers, signs I guess of the mix of pop culture that was still at that time predominantly influenced by the UK but with more and more US influence becoming apparent- which I remember a lot of adults complaining about during my childhood. I remember the Master System and Mega Drive being pretty prolific, slightly less so the NES and SNES. The Game Boy was widely successful, felt like almost everyone had one. I remember various (older) people I knew having C64s or Amigas in fairly equal measure until the rise of the Windows PC annihilated everything else in its path. The mid 90s felt like a two horse race for consoles between PS1 and N64. I saw a Sega Saturn in a clearance bin at Big W once somewhere post-2000? It remains the only time I've seen one in person.

Which is a shame. This stuff is still part of a gaming history. I've been mulling this stuff over due to a few things but I guess one of the inciting things was this article here by Kimimi the Game Eating She Monster arguing that PAL retro games deserve re-releases just as much as the NTSC versions. She also talks about preservation but I think most game preservationists are gung ho about preserving every possible variant of a game anyway.

It's weird looking back at PAL retro stuff now as an adult who potentially wants to collect some of this stuff because for the most part they were explicitly inferior versions of the games, but of course as a kid I didn't really have an understanding of that or any point of comparison whatsoever - to me that was just how those games played. When I think of the Sonic 1 music in my head it's still the slower PAL version buuuut I've played NTSC Sonic 1 now and don't think I'd really want to go back.

Most my small physical collection of retro stuff is handheld, both out of personal interest and fond memories and because it also neatly sidesteps the PAL/NTSC hang up, but I look at my SNES sitting in the corner (I'll fix you one day) and wonder if I'd actually want to buy most games for it anyway. The wool of innocence has been pulled from my eyes and I know what those games should play like, now, and I don't think I can overlook that. My nostalgia for the games have my childhood has been replaced for nostalgia for a version of games I never experienced on original hardware, which is kind of weird.

Two questions for the thread off the back of my unstructured venting into the void.

1) Any recommendations for blogs/channels that cover console PAL gaming in any sort of depth? I'm aware of Kim Justice and she's great but focuses primarily on computer gaming.

2) What console do people think had the best PAL library, either by virtue of having the best PAL exclusives, least butchered PAL ports or some combination of the two?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

2) What console do people think had the best PAL library, either by virtue of having the best PAL exclusives, least butchered PAL ports or some combination of the two?

Going to add to this in terms of least butchered PAL ports at least I remember both the Dreamcast and the original Xbox being pretty good for this, as by the time both of them arrived dual 50/60hz TVs ("PAL60") were relatively common so a lot of games can run at 60hz without issue. Less sure of the quality of PAL exclusives other than to say that the PAL version of Jet Set Radio is the best one. :colbert:

njsykora posted:

I will say for PAL that all my muscle memory for PS1 games is based on PAL timings, and that's before you get to some of the differences like Colin McRae Rally 2.0 not having Nicky Grist as the co-driver in America because they wanted an American voice for the game, or the incredible PAL Ape Escape dub. To me the biggest console differences for PAL stuff is on the PS1, particularly when a bunch of the biggest PS1 developers like Psygnosis and Codemasters were British companies.
I feel you though about the muscle memory thing, I don't think there's even much of a difference between the PAL and NTSC versions of Super Mario World for the SNES but any time I go back and play the NTSC version it just feels subtly off.
Young Mode 7 will always regret picking the N64 over the PS1, though I got my share of gaming time in on it by hanging out at a mate's place. I've eyed off a PSone at my local cashies a few times but never taken the plunge - any big PAL exclusive stuff for the PS1 you feel like elaborating on?

Random Stranger posted:

The only system where I'm jealous of the PAL library is the Master System. That quirk of history that not only got a bunch of PAL exclusives, but a bunch of PAL excusive ports of games that weren't ported anywhere else at the time like Space Gun.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd image the TecToy MS/MD libraries are pretty interesting given the systems' popularity and longevity in the Brazilian market. Technically they're not PAL though--the consoles themselves generate a signal with PAL color encoding but NTSC timings.

The Master System is probably a really good call actually, I'm not sure anything would beat it for the number of PAL exclusives.

Hot Stunt posted:

I'm from Australia too so I have a small collection of NES carts from my childhood I'll never play again because I'd rather go for the 60Hz versions. But I will always prefer the PAL localisation of Contra.

Rented Super Probotector: Alien Rebels a ton :hfive: Robots are much cooler than generic soldier dudes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

another weird thing about PAL that i don't think translates to the other markets is that there was this odd class division between the consoles. sega was working class: it was cheaper, and the games tended to be action oriented, while nintendo was for everyone but was seen as a bit nerdier and more middle class. in japan, as i've understood it, this was the other way around: nintendo was for everyone and sega was for nerds.

Super good point and very true in Australia as well. I had a fortunate middle class upbringing and had a SNES, and so did a few of the middle class friends I had. For kids with working class parents however, the Mega Drive was hugely more popular due to being significantly cheaper both for hardware and for games. The NES and Master System had pretty long tail ends here in Australia too due to 1) the next generation of consoles releasing here later and 2) families sticking with the cheaper 8bit consoles for a while even once they did as new consoles were expensive as hell.

Shibawanko posted:

another difference with the US was that we didn't really have arcades very much at any point, or at least i don't remember ever seeing one as a kid, we had arcade gaming machines of course but they were usually just individual machines set up in stores or in hotels, not in a dedicated building, maybe this is related to the heavier focus on home computers here. i myself grew up with an atari ST before i ever even saw a console or arcade machine.

Arcades were definitely more sporadic here than it seems was common in the US, though in Adelaide where I live we had a seafront amusement park with rides and a staggeringly good number of arcade machines called Magic Mountain. It was phenomenal, and young Mode 7 wouldn't appreciate for many, many years how many amazing arcade games he got to play there - feels wild to me that I've managed to play original cabinets for stuff like Outrun, Afterburner and Elevator Action Returns. Neo Geo MVS cabinets were fairly common too tucked away in odd corners or stores. By the early 2000s arcades were all but extinct here and the ones that remain are now entirely ticket redemption garbage as that's what draws in the money.

Shibawanko posted:

i also always hear americans talk about renting games in video stores, i don't think anyone did that here either much, you mostly just bought the games and kept them, or traded them with a friend maybe.

Interesting, that was very common here - buying games was expensive as hell, so renting through video stores was the way to go.

Shibawanko posted:

most of the asterix (and smurfs) games on consoles were pretty mediocre, they were often made by infogrames. infogrames was like our LJN.

One of the first Australian video game development companies was Beam Software. Their catalogue was mostly mediocre besides some games of historical import (The Hobbit for the ZX Spectrum) and a couple of bright spots in their SNES catalogue amidst a sea of mediocrity (The SNES version of Shadowrun and the True Lies game for SNES/Genesis, which was a pretty cool top down shooter for a licenced tie-in). Infogrames bought them out in 1999 and it went pretty sharply downhill from there, with them finally being acquired by Krome Studios in 2005 and then shuttered completely in 2010.

I've toyed with the idea of settling down and building myself a complete collection of Beam Software's stuff just because it tickles me from a historical perspective but so much of it is so mediocre-to-bad that I'd never play it and I don't think I can justify it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

comeon no love for super international cricket?

Fuckin knew someone was going to call me out for not mentioning Super International Cricket. :v:

It’s pretty good for the time. Pisspoor AI though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

I spent over 10 hours today working on this project.

My goal was to control gameplay elements in Zelda 3 from my synthesizer, and vice versa, control the synthesizer from the game.

The end result is, I'm changing the color of different gameplay elements based on different tracks. Bass line changes the hearts on the hud, kick changes Link's border. The lead changes some background elements.

Based on Link's X and Y position, I periodically change the instruments in use for the kick, snare, bass, and lead tracks.

I also am running the gameplay video through the sleepy hypno visual synthesizer in the back. In the foreground, I'm running the audio from the game (extracted from the HDMI signal via a splitter) to the Critter and Guitari Eyesy.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3WpRzVcd4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU98J9jlY2A

In case anyone else wants to fiddle with controlling game data over USB:
1) Install SNI https://github.com/alttpo/sni
2) This includes a sni.proto file. You use this to generate an interface to talk to the game in the language of your choice. In Python, I had to install a few packages via pip for GRPC, then I ran this command to generate the interface: C:\python310\python -m grpc_tools.protoc --python_out=E:\Projects\midi2snes\grpc_out --grpc_python_out=E:\Projects\midi2snes\grpc_out --proto_path=E:\Projects\midi2snes\proto sni.proto
3) In python, these commands should get you started:
code:
    # Set up a connection
    channel = grpc.insecure_channel('localhost:8191')
    stub = sni_pb2_grpc.DeviceMemoryStub(channel)

# Reading Link's X position
    read_pos_x_request = sni_pb2.ReadMemoryRequest(
        requestAddress=int('F50022', 16),
        requestAddressSpace="FxPakPro",
        size=2
        )
    read_pos_x = sni_pb2.SingleReadMemoryRequest(
        uri="fxpakpro://./COM7",
        request=read_pos_x_request
        )
    pos_x_info = stub.SingleRead(read_pos_x)
    self.link_x = struct.unpack("H", pos_x_info.response.data)[0]

This owns and I'm finding it incredibly hypnotic.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So after PAL chat the other day I randomly stumbled onto an Aussie youtuber who had just uploaded the first part of a little documentary series on Beam Software, Australia's first game dev company. This seemed weirdly serendipitous and it sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole as I thought I might take a look at Beam's 80s output which I was pretty sure was mostly for the ZX Spectrum but knew very little about. I found out pretty quickly that the list of games developed by the company on Wikipedia was pretty incomplete, but that prompted me to hit up Beam's old website circa 1998 (they were bought out in 1999) that listed all of their games from 1980 through to 1996.

That list was incomplete as well, as MobyGames seems to list some titles that weren't listed on Beam's website but were definitely developed by Beam. So I'm working to slowly try and compile some sort of definitive list. I've found some interesting stuff as I've been doing this.

• Holy hell they were more prolific than I thought, churning out a sizeable amount of NES games - mostly a mix of ports of existing games from home computers and licensed titles, and way, way more Game Boy games than I had thought as well. They released 21 NES titles that I've found so far between 1989-1990.
  • They're responsible for porting Gex over to the PlayStation and the Saturn from the 3DO which is a crime that there may not be forgiveness for.
  • The have releases for the PC-98! The ported over SSI's wargames Colonial Conquest, Mech Brigade and Kampfgruppe in 1990. They also did a port of the Atari ST's 1987 hit Dungeon Master........ in 1991.
  • They released seven issues of an interactive magazine distributed on CD-ROM - the most 90s thing ever - called The Disc that apparently lasted 7 issues. God I want to track these down.

There's just such a bizarre mix of titles here. I know that the Australian Centre for the Moving Image has preserved some of their 80s stuff, particularly focusing on their Spectrum output.

I... kind of want to do a chronological showcase/review of these games à la Jeremy Parish's Works series. It's a niche subject and all but I dunno, I think it would be cool to be able to visually show people where the gaming industry in Australia started :unsmith:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There's a sealed 32X going for AU$1300 at a store near me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

"Alternate timeline where the Dreamcast didn't fail and Sega remained a hardware producer" is up there in terms of retro gaming alternate timelines I'd love to explore but the one I'd be the most fascinated to see is still "alternate timeline where Nintendo doesn't doublecross Sony and they release the Nintendo PlayStation together".

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Lol that owns.

We were talking in the discord about how now is the time to collect Wii games. Do any of you have Wii reccomendations that are "off the beaten path"?

Zak & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. Very critically well received point n click puzzle adventure game that nonetheless sold like complete dogshit. I got rid of my copy when I offloaded all of my Wii stuff when I moved overseas for a while and really should try and pick it back up again myself.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Those who find the Analogue Pocket form factor hard to hold might want to keep an eye on this.
https://twitter.com/reventlow/status/1509188938031849480?t=r9cinivXgof91yo2iOfcqQ&s=19

Comfortable or not god that grip makes the Pocket look hideous

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So I've started actually making a go of doing the research for this series of Beam Software videos. From what I can ascertain between cross referencing the old Beam website circa 1998, Mobygames, and period Sinclair-orientated magazines at the time, the first Beam developed games are Double Breakout (a Breakout clone) and Super Invasion (a Space Invaders clone) both for the ZX80. Oddly, the Beam website lists their first game chronologically as a TRS-80 game called Strike Force, but everywhere else seems to list it as being a 1982 game including the title screen copyright. Anyway both of these are likely developed by Beam's first employee and programmer on a lot of their early titles William Tang (who sadly suffered a collapsed lung in 1985 while working on a fourth Horace game and besides an Asterix game released in 1986 has no further development credits). I believe they were marketed concurrently after a trip Beam's founder Alfred Milgrom took to the UK to sell them via their UK publishing arm Melbourne House, only to discover the imminent arrival of the ZX81. They were apparently quite impressive for their time given the limitations of the hardware!

I'm still slowly building a list of sources and mapping out how to structure this, but I've discovered to my delight that the Australian Centre for the Moving Image has four interviews with key former Beam staff that were done in 2006 in their collection, about 4 hours all together. Planning to email them over the weekend to try and get access as they're digitized but not available in their online archive. I doubt I'll be able to use audio or video excerpts from them directly but being able to get some direct quotes from the early folks involved - particularly Alfred Milgrom - would be awesome.

Retro Games forum radicalisation in action, this is what talking about PAL games leads to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Can't recommend Bitmap Books enough, their books are gorgeous, well made, and their packaging for shipping is durable enough that they've all made it to Australia without incident. I've got The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games, Game Boy: The Box Art Collection, A Guide To Japanese Role-Playing Games, and Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side-scrolling Beat Em Ups.

The books also come with a PDF copy, and if they revise the book (as they're about to do with The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games, and I believe The CRPG Book is getting a new edition late 2022/early 2023) they'll send you an updated copy of the PDF which is neat.