Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Phantasium posted:

You can still buy a few PS1 square games straight from their online store, Chrono Cross being one of them

I got FF9 this way a few months back. It's kind of cool to get a sealed copy of a big-name game for so cheap, even if it's not really worth anything

being able to crack open a brand new copy of a PS1 game is super weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm not really familiar with most of these games, outside of (i think) playing Joe and Mac 1 at a friend's house when I was a kid. Well, and Burgertime and Bad Dudes. Are any of these worth getting? Beyond the novelty of having a brand-new officially licenced SNES or NES multigame cart I mean.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the menus had a 'Font' option so i imagine you can change it. whether that's to some other pre-made options or support for custom fonts who knows but its there

the Super NT seems really nice, and i dont think phil fish getting thrown some money to make menus look like menus is going to sour me on it at all. the SNES Classic is great but a high-quality machine that actually plays my real SNES carts and can use the mouse and stuff is something i really, really want.

also i kind of like the start-up logo thing. but i did notice that it looked you can disable it as well and just boot direct to menu (or game)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

d0s posted:

SONIC THE HEDGE HOG.

sonics iconic foe, the ghouls

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i was already interested in the Super NT but these reviews are really selling me on it even more. seems like the best way to play my SNES carts on an HDTV while getting the most accurate visual/audio experience possible. i hope these guys do a Genesis fpga system sometime too, between those two i'd basically be set for everything retro that i want to play (minus gameboy color games, i guess)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has anyone really seen any glaring flaws in the emulation on the snes mini? I’d argue that’s the best bet for hdmi snes. I have literally no idea how the super nt performs but the snes mini is by no means a bad performer.

it's mostly minor stuff, little graphical glitches here and there, the audio being something like 95% accurate and sounding close enough, whereas the super nt hits that last bit of accuracy. when it comes to adding more titles to it, the SNES classic also has trouble running a decent number of SNES games natively, mostly ones with weird transparency effects like kirby's dream land 3 and several RPGs. the classic is great, for sure. best emulation box for SNES games since it's official.

but, also, it doesn't play real cartridges. thats a big deal to me, i want to use my actual carts. partially because nostalgia, but also partially because it would be nice to be able to use the same Earthbound/Chrono Trigger/Mario RPG cart on a TV in the living room(on an hdtv with theoretically the NT) and a TV in my bedroom(with my actual snes on a CRT) and keep my same save file rolling along

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 7, 2018

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The AC port on my SNES broke! Well, half broke. Part of it is still in there so it works, but it's just a matter of time before that falls off. Is there anyone reliable online who repairs those? It's my childhood SNES and I'd like to keep it in working condition, since it has no other problems and I've got an awful lot of SNES games to play.

I was thinking of grabbing the retrovision cables when those come back in stock and this throws a weird wrench in that plan.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 3, 2018

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I had the N64 as a kid and played the hell out of it, but I feel like it's harder to revisit the original console than something like the SNES or even the PS1, mostly because of the weird blurryness to everything, but also because the controller is kind of a mess. It works much better when the best games from it get rereleased or emulated on other platforms, revisiting the console itself just isn't a great experience.

That said, I think there are more good games for it than people tend to really discuss, and a lot of them have never made it to another platform unfortunately.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Picked up an S-video cable for my SNES and the output looks really great. Big step up from composite. But I feel like the next step up (the Retrovision cables) wouldn't give me a lot more than I'm getting right now. Are those worth it if I'm pretty happy with S-video? It looks really clean and clear on both TVs I've got right now. I didn't think it would look this good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

worthless. posted:

It’s great, just unfortunate timing. Pretty sure it came out for snes after the n64 was already out, so a lot of people weren’t interested in buying a last-gen game.

this was a big part of it for sure. at the time as a kid i remember my friends thinking the setting of it was kind of lame too, the lakeside thing was way less appealing than the jungle and pirate themes of the other two DKCs

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i thought i knew a lot about SNES stuff but i've never heard of these specific reprints before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXx4U1qvk9s

has anyone run into these? they're really interesting curiosities, and i haven't even seen stuff like this pop up on ebay or anything

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Not a Children posted:

Super NTs should be shipping soon, right? I haven't been able to find any details or updates on that from their website or social media pages. Should I temper my expectations for on-time shipping? It still says end-of-September on their storefront but I haven't found any corroborating information.

I've been wondering this too. It looks like with previous shipping stuff it took about a month to get everything shipped, in order of orders received, so i wouldn't necessarily expect anything super soon. maybe they'll be faster this time though?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Not a Children posted:

If anyone else was worried about the next round of Super NTs, they just posted an update on their website, presumably after being bombarded by impatient nerds:

i mean, they knew people were going to ask them for a specific ship date and if things were happening via thousands of emails from people who want to know what happened to their $250, since they were saying everything was supposed to ship at the end of this month and it is, currently, the end of the month

they probably should have gotten out ahead of it with a post like this to calm folks down. but at least its there now.

my SNES's power port juuuust started behaving oddly, so it sounds like my Super NT will get here just at the right time to replace that. then i can fix up that port at a later date and just retire my actual SNES. got it in '94 as a present for my 6th birthday (DKC bundle) and it's always worked perfectly. never yellowed. even among my Nintendo stuff it's lasted longer and run better than anything else. but it finally gave into the power port issue. thank you, super nintendo. you did well. you earned a rest.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Coming with the Master System adapter is cool, and since the adapters are only $10 each the Game Gear one is a no-brainer to pick up once that's a thing. It's like having a Super Gameboy for my Genesis :allears:

The Super NT was an easy buy for me since I've got a ton of SNES games, but my Genesis library is a lot smaller so I'm probably going to wait and see what they do about 32X stuff and how well the Sega CD stuff plays out before really thinking about getting one of these. I'm not a fan of having to use the original Sega CD with this since those are all pretty old and many aren't working well anymore, but I guess it's hard to make something to solve that problem.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I don't remember the exact first game we rented, but it was from the local grocery store's little video rental thing. there's three games it could have been, all for the NES. Rescue Rangers seems the most likely. a sesame street game is also possible (i was pretty little) which i remember having some kind of rubber duckie thing in it? the third is the Where's Waldo game which was basically terrible from what i remember and i think we only rented it once.

i do remember renting the super expensive flintstones NES game though way later on, which i didn't realize was the valuable one until a year or two ago. unfortunately we didn't like, steal it from the rental place or anything, so its just a weird footnote in my video gaming history

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i've been revisiting the Gameboy a bit lately via the Super Game Boy (since i picked one up for cheap) and DK 94 is like a console-quality game, it's great, especially with the SGB color and audio enhancements. i also wish more Mario games had the variety in jumping options that game has, it feels really good.

Link's Awakening is of course also still real good, as is Super Mario Land 2. super mario land 1 didn't hold up, but it's not terrible, it's just short and feels weird.

The Little Mermaid is also pretty good, and pretty cheap to pick up. from Capcom in that era when they did really good Disney games. plays like the NES version but i think the levels are different? you probably can't go wrong with any of the Capcom Disney Gameboy stuff though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm always into the novelty of seeing companies print new copies of cartridge based games. Seeing them do some NES stuff is whatever, everyone does that, but Gameboy and N64 is a lot more interesting to see

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I believe that top left copy of Monopoly is the Westwood Studios version of the game and it is easily the greatest version of Monopoly ever. It has excellent MIDI music, classic Windows menu styles, and some awesome mid 90s CGI that really does an excellent job of giving you a feel for the location (Baltic feels like the slums, Park Place feels elegant, etc). I believe it works fine in Windows 10. Definitely give it a try.

Still have my old copy of that particular Monopoly, and can confirm that disc is definitely this one. played way too much of that back in the day with my brother and my mom

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

can we get a new discord link? i want to be able to talk to people about retro game stuff once SA dies

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kazvall posted:

18+ huh?

They must really know their market!

this thing's gonna cost $200 so theres no reason to make it kid-safe anyway

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Luigi's character model data is in the Mario 64 files

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Looks sketchy. Too sketchy to throw $100 at imo

yeah that's my thought too. if it gets funded and releases and it's all good then that's fine, but this is giving me uncomfortable vibes as a sight-unseen purchase

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm playing through Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and I'm... really not feeling it? I grew up on Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages (amusingly I had no idea what a Zelda or a Hyrule was until I bought Twilight Princess) and played Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds. Loved all of those but something about Seasons isn't capturing me like Ages. I'm only about to start the 3rd dungeon so maybe it'll change but yeah

this is a common feeling, i think. ages is generally the more interesting one with a more concise gimmick and better puzzles. seasons isnt bad or anything but its not as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I was still using a 4:3 CRT until just before the Xbox One came out I think. The Wii and 360 and PS3 were all fine on SD stuff, but Xbox One/Switch/PS4 were like the point where I was finally just needing to switch over.

I need to get that CRT from my dad's house before he throws it out or something. Wasn't anything special but was definitely a later-day CRT made after flatscreens had become dominant and stuff. Connections on both the front and back so it was good for swapping out different consoles easy.