Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

FireMrshlBill posted:

So I have one of those portable DVD systems that hangs on the back of a headrest so your kids can watch dvd's in the back seat on long road trips. Its dual screen and the satellite screen can accept composite video input (via a 4 ring 3.5mm to rca adapter that it came with, actually both screens can do it).

So my question, other than the PSone, are there car adapters for other systems like the NES, SNES, N64, GC?

There's the HiSaturn Navi. It even has it's own little LCD screen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Bonobos posted:

Anyone have any idea why there are still so many new in box Dreamcast VMUs on ebay, amazon and the like?

They all seem to be in a cardboard packaging and the sellers all swear they are legitimate new old stock. The ones I see also do not seem to be the white color ones I remember seeing when the dreamcast first came out, rather the translucent color ones.

Anyone have any experience with them? Any concerns with using them?

I bought a couple off eBay UK a month ago, blue and green. The boxes seemed sealed, there was Sega paperwork, the vmu port cover and there were batteries behind a pull tab.

It all looked genuine to me, though I never had any genuine US Dreamcast accessories in box before to compare against.

Touch wood, they work fine so far, though it is strange but having them not beep at me when they are connected.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

why would you ever stop playing bomberman though

was this a trick question

Because Death Tank Zwei.

Protip: Be the grey tank, trickier to spot. Person you like the least gets to be player 7.

Another good reason for the multitap (and also the MPEG card), VATLVA!

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

SwissCM posted:

Virtua Racing Deluxe was really good, best version after the Arcade
Kolibri looks nice, arguably the most interesting exclusive on the system
Virtua Fighter plays well
Star Wars Arcade is a decent home port of the arcade game but other games have done what it did better since
After Burner II and Space Harrier run at half framerate but were still the best home conversions of their time
Doom feels barely complete
Chaotix sucks

Everything else was worse

Shadow Squadron / Stellar Assault was a good arcadey space shooter

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Why doesn't the PS4 play CDs? Is there licensing involved?

Cost saving on the laser assembly, perhaps? IIRC, CDs generally used infrared lasers, where DVDs used red and Blu-Ray, erm, blue. Though I thought that DVD lasers could also be used to read CDs, so it may well be that they considered CD playback to be so low use that it wasn't worth developing the playback features

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm debating on a satiator or a mode for my Saturn. I already have a legit GDEMU for my dreamcast and a pseudo saturn red cart for my Saturn so I play backups. Kinda leaning more towards a satiator though. Any thoughts on it?

I have a Satiator and a MODE, with the MODE in my Dreamcast. I'm in the UK and all in, the Satiator was more expensive, but not dramatically so. The interface on the Satiator is much more basic, but nice and quick to navigate. I hear that the MODE can be slow on the Saturn (though that may just be if you are using the cover art view) I do prefer that the Satiator doesn't have any registration required to download firmware/menu upgrades.

If you want to keep using optical discs in the Saturn, then the Satiator is a no brainer. The only thing you really lose is the ability to play the few games with VCD card enhancements. However, I know it doesn't handle some multi-disc games properly yet (the ones that don't save before wanting the next disc), but there is talk of that being resolved in a future update. The Satiator is also a doddle to install. The MODE may require messing with an extra power cable to work. Nothing major by any means, but it is an extra step. What may be a downside for you is it doesn't play too nice with Pseaudo Saturn carts, though there is functionality now to flash them from the Satiator menu to keep the RAM/backup capability, whilst losing the Action Replay functions.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Anyone ever figure out why that game has load screens?

Was it having to decompress the data? I'm sure I saw a video with Jon from Gamehut saying he had to do that for the SNES port of Mickey Mania.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Blooster posted:

I am looking through my gaming setup and I noticed my Frame Meister has a weird cable that I don't think came with the unit. It's euro scart, but it also has a power plug on it, that goes into the back of the Frame Meister, and has a port for the power plug from the Frame Meister to go into it.

I definitely bought this as an extra but I can't find anything on google about it. What kind of SCART cable is this? What is the purpose of it receiving power?

If memory serves, this was a third party euroscart adapter with something like a powered sync stripper

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

I finally fired up the satiator last night. I had my system unplugged — but my saves were thankfully ok. I need to get a 4-1 cart. Any one in particular work best with the satiator? I’m pretty sure you have to flash the action replay part — but I really just want the save backups and ram.

If you have a Satiator, the optional Rings menu has a feature where it can manage per-game save folders on the SD card and move saves between those and the internal memory when the games are loaded. I use that, plus a random AR I had for the extra RAM

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Please don't remind me that Sega Ages is no more

I would say the Master System has a very good Choplifter, but I’m biased.

As for Segaiden, I think Jeremy is only really touching on the US lifespan of the system? If so, it’s going to end up missing a lot of the good stuff the system had later with the PAL territories and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah you could even get a cartridge adapter to play MS games on it I think

Other than it being a voracious battery eater the only thing I really remember about the game gear is being young and stupid enough to think I broke it one time when I accidentally set the screen brightness all the way to maximum with the little wheel on the side

Aside from a different screen resolution, the GG had more colours it could use. In fact, didn’t it have more available than the Genesis? (Total, if not onscreen colours)