Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

why does my computer get slow after it's been running for a few days?

~*looks over, sees a task bar the width of the entire screen with 30 applications running with no open windows*~

no idea, weird, huh?

at least they show up on the dock instead of hiding away in the system tray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

carry on then posted:

at least they show up on the dock instead of hiding away in the system tray

actually yeah windows is starting to get really bad about this too

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the macintosh operating system is incapable of true multitasking

it is an elaborate facade built on 1985's Switcher

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also crapple now shuts down apps with no windows when it needs ram, it was a feature they added the last time they redesigned the dock

also lmao windows had a great setup and ruined it for tablet compatibility and to shove ads into the os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windowing hasn't changed significantly in windows since windows 7

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my 2012 Mac mini running the latest Mac OS is very good, op

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

except for the cooling. that's terrible and inexcusable

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

they added the wacky sorta okay split view tablet fullscreen window functionality

like its okay on a tablet when i really need it but the only thing with the screen space for it is my desktop. same for ios and macos really so lol to all of the os on everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the aero snap stuff was in windows 7. I think in 8 they just added the ability to resize stuff when its side by side. also in 10 you can snap to corners. but like those are all small evolutions on a feature that most users probably don't know about

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
windows 10 added virtual desktops and changed up the window switcher some more, but like shaggar said those have been in other linuxes for ages and aren't significant changes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh I forgot about virtual desktops just like everyone else cause they're pointless

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol I forgot about your wrongpinions on vdi

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

and that came out nine years ago, no surprise they haven't caught up to macOS, still the world's most advanced, sophisticated, and usable operating system

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

boyo uses imacs as windows terminals, what do you expect?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Agile Vector posted:

they added the wacky sorta okay split view tablet fullscreen window functionality

like its okay on a tablet when i really need it but the only thing with the screen space for it is my desktop. same for ios and macos really so lol to all of the os on everything

uh actually that feature owns on desktop.

assuming you are using the one true aspect ratio of 16:10.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Shaggar posted:

oh I forgot about virtual desktops just like everyone else cause they're pointless

iawtp

having to use multiple desktops is a symptom of a poor ui and an unfocused workflow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tiny brain: virtual desktops
Normal brain: aero snap
Enlightened brain: every window full screen
Galaxy brain: window -> tile horizontally

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

different virtual desktops can accommodate different workflows for different tasks. there isn’t a universal flow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My students' dumbass micro brain: a graphics app shrunk to a window that takes up less than half the screen, somehow with palettes still obscuring the content, and nothing but the desktop in the background

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shifty Pony posted:

uh actually that feature owns on desktop.

assuming you are using the one true aspect ratio of 16:10.

see, my 16:10 is sideways at 10:16 which owns for web dev stuff but it doesnt do vertical stacks which slightly less owns so im resizing manually

the snap stuff is handy tho and its one of those things i miss on other systems. macos doesnt quite have it right since it requires full then split screen but ive been using an app to emulate that functionality since like 10.4 so i dunno if it matters that its not native

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I have three screens at work. It's nice?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

virtual desktops are useless unless you can swipe between them with three fingers on God's own Magic Trackpad or using two fingers with Magic Mouse

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

My students' dumbass micro brain: a graphics app shrunk to a window that takes up less than half the screen, somehow with palettes still obscuring the content, and nothing but the desktop in the background

i had a teacher in high school who would open every file by going start > run > browse> locate the file > click okay > click run

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Last Chance posted:

virtual desktops are useless unless you can swipe between them with three fingers on God's own Magic Trackpad or using two fingers with Magic Mouse

God holds down the thumb button on His mx master and moves it left or right.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

I have three screens at work. It's nice?

it sure is. i was looking at how to get a fourth without anyone noticing right away so i could shove all my emails off further out of view

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

carry on then posted:

God holds down the thumb button on His mx master and moves it left or right.

thats more work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and that came out nine years ago, no surprise they haven't caught up to macOS, still the world's most advanced, sophisticated, and usable operating system

osx is still in the 80s in terms of ui with its worst in class windowing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

both types of virtual desktops are terrible. one is a hack for bad Linux uis and the other is a waste of computing power.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

leaving the app open with no windows is fine, but it sucks when apple disregards that paradigm randomly.

open Photos.app and then close the main window or do CMD + W and it quits the whole app lol

terminating when there aren't any more windows open has been an encouraged behavior for years. i don't remember which version of OS X introduced it, but apps can opt into automatic termination, which lets the system automatically quit apps with no windows open. also, the system can keep the process alive so that if you relaunch, it's instantaneous, and it can quit the process for an offscreen or otherwise hidden app while keeping the running icon in the dock. there are other opt-in technologies like sudden termination (aka, my process can just be killed rather than going through the usual app teardown process) and window restoration that work alongside this to make it all invisible to the user

apps with single main windows like Photos usually just explicitly terminate themselves when closed, though

one of the OS X developer previews toyed with removing the running dot indicators on the dock by default to make it all more iOS-like so you didn't have to think about running processes for apps that supported this stuff, but they came back in the release version

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have come to like using OS x at work, but I really do hate the way windows work. It's my only real complaint about the software. The keyboard on my touch bar mbp otoh...

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

carry on then posted:

i had a teacher in high school who would open every file by going start > run > browse> locate the file > click okay > click run

at my previous company i'd watch people as they would meticulously copy text, navigate to the target document, and paste text... all with a mouse and windows context menus (even going as far as using that obnoxious formatting popup that office shoves in your face)

by comparison, i barely used the mouse pointer on my mbp and they'd think i'm some sort of cyberpunk hacking god from swordfish just because i used basic keyboard shortcuts to speed up my workflow

it was a constant reminder that people are dumber than we give them credit for

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hello Spaceman posted:

at my previous company i'd watch people as they would meticulously copy text, navigate to the target document, and paste text... all with a mouse and windows context menus (even going as far as using that obnoxious formatting popup that office shoves in your face)

by comparison, i barely used the mouse pointer on my mbp and they'd think i'm some sort of cyberpunk hacking god from swordfish just because i used basic keyboard shortcuts to speed up my workflow

:twisted:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i genuinely like aero snap over the os x two-up v0v

Hello Spaceman posted:

ms did a big user study in the pre-ribbon timeframe
the most used keyboard shortcut: ctrl-v paste
the most used context menu item: paste
etc. etc., the most used anything was "pasting" and folks used every hook possible to do it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

yeah, i get the same reaction when i'm flying away using the keyboard for everything. some of the professors have commented on how fast i type and i only get like 90, maybe 100wpm tops.

and i've noticed a serious lack of keyboard shortcut knowledge among Kids These Days

like, when i'm teaching people how to use solidworks or whatever, i will of course show them the menu option first because that's the obvious visual way to get it. but i will also introduce the shortcut alternatives and say "and later in the class, i'm going to be demoing things using these shortcuts, so you should get used to using them too and understanding what i'm doing when certain things just happen on screen", etc.

this usually works pretty well.

HOWEVER, the people teaching these kids photoshop and illustrator and all the stuff below my classes are just...holy poo poo guys get it together. i show something in photoshop in my advanced class, using techniques they should already know, and the kids are blindsided by e.g. ctrl-shift-n for a new layer or pressing V for the select tool or E for the eraser or [ ] to change brush sizes. some of them don't even know about holding the space bar to pan the view and are using the loving scroll bars. sometimes i'll even be caught in it -- they'll say "where do i find that tool?" and i'll go "honestly i don't even know, it's ctrl-shift-8" and they look at the keyboard like it's a hedgehog and gingerly try to press the keys and clearly hate it

mad about computers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tell them to print out a keyboard chart for the main programs they'll be using and tape it next to their monitors like its a flight sim

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's not a bad idea tbh

next semester i think i'm going to kick out anyone who doesn't have a mouse by the second class, too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

that's not a bad idea tbh

next semester i think i'm going to kick out anyone who doesn't have a mouse by the second class, too

What about trackballs?

:colbert:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

What about trackballs?
:thermidor:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

i genuinely like aero snap over the os x two-up v0v

ms did a big user study in the pre-ribbon timeframe
the most used keyboard shortcut: ctrl-v paste
the most used context menu item: paste
etc. etc., the most used anything was "pasting" and folks used every hook possible to do it
they also did a study of how people used the ribbon and made all the things people used most...smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

tell them to print out a keyboard chart for the main programs they'll be using and tape it next to their monitors like its a flight sim

this works, unless you have a boss like mine who opens safari, ignores the google bar and will type "www.google.com" into the search bar.