Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

im sorry to interrupt this mac pro chat but I just had a stroke of genius

what should apple call the mac mini?

the appleteenie

You're hired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

im sorry to interrupt this mac pro chat but I just had a stroke of genius

what should apple call the mac mini?

the appleteenie

they should call it the mac mini

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's not really that small, it's basically a last gen macbook pro chipset and jony's shiny videos have shown us that a macbook motherboard is like the size of 2 business cards

they could make it smaller but tim wants spinny drives and to not change tooling because he's cheap

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 4, 2019

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple pi?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

qirex posted:

it's not really that small, it's basically a last gen macbook pro chipset and jony's shiny videos have shown us that a macbook motherboard is like the size of 2 business cards

they could make it smaller but tim wants spinny drives and to not change tooling because he's cheap

no spinny drive option on the mini. probably tooling as you say. that and gotta fit the heatsink somewhere

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Generic Monk posted:

no spinny drive option on the mini. probably tooling as you say. that and gotta fit the heatsink somewhere
huh, I thought they still offered fusion drives

the psu probably generates more heat than the processor but I'd rather have the current case with the internal power supply over yet another brick

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
what are the advantages of the 6k $6000 Apple monitor as compared to the 8k $3900 dell monitor?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Vomik posted:

what are the advantages of the 6k $6000 Apple monitor as compared to the 8k $3900 dell monitor?

$2100 more to apple and not dell?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

get to pay a thousand bucks for a display stand and 300 for a vesa mount

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Vomik posted:

presumably some calibration specs and maybe certifications? afaik we don't know all that much about the thing, i'd presume they are buying the panels from someone (while apple does research on display tech themselves i sort of doubt the first outing will be in this category), so best to wait until people have their hands on them and can both measure and peek inside.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

qirex posted:

having taken apart a 2018 mini just a few weeks ago, i'd beg to differ:

and yes. i am doing this on a towel. yolo. apple charges $600 CAD for boosting it from 8 GB to 32 GB of RAM or i can just buy the RAM myself and then save myself $400

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the dell 8k isnt hdr

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Vomik posted:

more holes

goddamn can you imagine how many loving tweetdeck columns you can fit on 6 6k monitors? phwoar!!! the future is here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

does the dell use local array dimming? This is the first time I've heard of it being used on a computer monitor. the more zones you do the more heat it creates which is why it has all the speed holes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

like, none of it will matter terribly much and i expect modern apple will continue to be pretty clowshoes, *but* the mac pro and the display xdr may very well be good value for a certain segment, we'll see when the real details arrive. apple has the clout to get good deals on components and manufacturing after all, and they may not have entirely forgotten the value of having halo products that the fans think are cool despite never buying them.

at least it was interesting news, whereas i stopped paying attention to anything about iphones a couple of gens ago.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
taking apart a mac mini in 2018 is just as painful as the last time i did it in 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Scionix posted:

I think the 200 dollar VESA adapter is more insulting than the stand, tbh

thats just a "gently caress you, dumb bitch" to the consumer. there's no other way to frame that

I think the most insulting thing is that it's an extra grand for the matte version.

At least Apple is finally admitting matte is better

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

tbf the 1600nits peak brightness is incredibly impressive but also means you'd have to be loving nuts to work on that display in an office setting

they're actually using "code looks great in vertical mode!" (like on any other pivoting monitor) as a selling point when it's loving pointless to buy this if your job isn't mastering 4k hdr content for streaming services

of course

akadajet posted:

clearly, you don't know apple fan dads.
every blue checkmark Apple Commentator is gonna have one of these and use it in 300nit mode so they don't go blind anyway
it's no different than buying an alienware tower to play fortnite I guess

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lain Iwakura posted:

having taken apart a 2018 mini just a few weeks ago, i'd beg to differ:

and yes. i am doing this on a towel. yolo. apple charges $600 CAD for boosting it from 8 GB to 32 GB of RAM or i can just buy the RAM myself and then save myself $400

It seems like using a towel could cause ESD issues?

:ohdear:

E: Or lint.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
alienware is still a thing?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ruffian Price posted:

every blue checkmark Apple Commentator is gonna have one of these and use it in 300nit mode so they don't go blind anyway
also: rich kids, certain executives, tv/commercial/movie set dressers

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

alienware is still a thing?

it's a dell subsidiary now

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wait they took out the 2.5" SATA space (without at least putting in a second PCIe)?

:flaccid:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like using a towel could cause ESD issues?

:ohdear:

E: Or lint.

i used can air before i put it back since i had that same thought

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Vomik posted:

Dell selling a better product at a lower price isn't new

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
an Intel nuc (at least the cube one) is much smaller than a Mac mini and has easily accessible and replaceable RAM and storage slots. the mini is just embarrassing in comparison.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess they had multiple ideas for a new case but tim vetoed it because he's cheap

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

rip tile

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/04/early-find-my-code-appears-to-back-reports-of-tile-style-tag-tracker

does anyone run a pool of how many companies apple will kill off at each wwdc?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

an Intel nuc (at least the cube one) is much smaller than a Mac mini and has easily accessible and replaceable RAM and storage slots. the mini is just embarrassing in comparison.

don't these frequently fail

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Vomik posted:

I’m not a believer that Apple is out to save everyone or whatever. they’re still a profit driven company therefore can’t be trusted, BUT it’s a million times better than google or Facebook owning the SSO process across websites so it’s a step in the right direction.

it looks like with the new Catalina they’re even making it so a stolen computer is completely worthless like they did with iPhone which is good.

Apple doesn’t make money from user data. that’s not their business model. therefore, holding user data is all downside to them (PR disaster if it is exploited) and no upside. it is a liability. if they wanted your data, they could have all of it because they write the OS. they don’t need to invent logging in with Apple to get at it.

customers want privacy and Apple wants to sell it to them. loving over their competitors is an added bonus.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

mac pro and the display xdr may very well be good value for a certain segment

there are so few people whose work actually requires equipment like this that it's irrelevant. apple's target market for these devices is people who don't need anything more than a mac mini.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

I don’t know, I’m sure they do because intel is bad at consumer hardware. that has little to do with the form factor, though. the tall boy can fit a 2.5” hard drive and 2 m.2 devices, and a user can add those in 5 minutes without disassembling the CPU fan or breaking the radio BNC connectors.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, they're designed for people switching from a mac to a pc so they want to match the experience as much as possible

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the monitor is gimmicky and stupid. with 10 bit color you can do hdr or p3/rec.2020 but not both so "xdr" is probably just p3 with the brightness jacked way up. or you're not getting accurate color representation if you've got hdr enabled?

the $20k reference monitors they compared it to have way more color reference modes and hardware calibration. it's actual competition is $3k monitors from eizo and sony

they'll prob still sell a bunch to amateurs who want to play pro tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

they've had poo poo qa on a few generations and it seems a lot like intel has no interest in supporting them, but to the extent that they work they're a decent sff design

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endless Mike posted:

These things get deployed for signage and other poo poo all over the university I work at and we haven't had very many fail at all despite people shoving them in enclosures with no ventilation half the time.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
lol

https://twitter.com/felix_schwarz/status/1135805778756034561

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I have a nuc I play around with. I’ve never had any problems but dunno if I’m just lucky.

I will say the graphic card (despite being amd) with the six core i7 + user upgradable ram + a Samsung ssd means it was ultra cheap to build (less than 1500?) while out performing the Mac mini.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
is anyone on the planet actually limited by pcie3.0 throughput or lanecount? what a useless thing to wait for.