Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I checked very hard, I don't see any penises in the reflection though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Maximum Leader posted:

hey timb whens my quad core mac mini coming

lol if you think the mini is getting updated ever again

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It's a feature!

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

im the awkward box covering the stand

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Doc Block posted:

you can still upgrade it, but it has to be done at the genius bar

translation: the RAM isn’t soldered to the motherboard, but instead of a hatch on the back you have to remove the screen to upgrade it.

at the genius bar i'm sure you'd also have to pay apple repair prices for those sticks of ram, which would probably cost about as much as just buying another imac pro

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Revive the front row app, timb

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Gotta janitor that phones background apps loving up

what is this, android now?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the display on my 2016 mba is hosed up now but fortunately i have apple care. maybe they can fix the keyboard too while they're at it.

i'm wondering if i can convince them to upgrade me to a model with 16gb of ram (obviously i'd have to pay for this) but I doubt it. plus i dont really want to invest any more money in this piece of poo poo.

they will never upgrade it in a repair unless they've royally hosed up and are giving you a whole new computer

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

brap posted:

I like my iPhone 8 except mine came without a headphone jack for some reason

sounds like its faulty, u should go to the genius bar

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Shaggar posted:

ios ui is garbage. why the hell do they cram the back button in the top left, semi-obscured by the curve of the scree, in the corner furthest away from all your fingers?

Shaggar ... is right? Shaggar is right.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Im the lazily applied core i5 sticker on a slight angle

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i like robertson. happy 110th birthday robertson :canada:

I dream of a future where all electronics are put together with robertson screws

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

just lmao

airdrop is even less reliable , it feels like its a from the days of using your IR on your palmpilots in its success rate of discovery

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Do people still jailbreak their iphones in order to install poo poo malware on them?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

didn't they downgrade the base model fusion drives to 64GB SSD backing from 128GB recently?

Fusion drives are actually p. bad

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

lmao, i can't transfer this screenshot off of an ipad we have here at work because airdrop needs a 4th gen ipad or later

apparently the arcane technology needed to send a file without wires was lost until the fourth generation of ipads

just use image capture you dummy

Though apple is working as hard as they can to make even that difficult

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

fury3 was underrated

i played so much fury3 when i was a kid, and then i found out it was just a weird reskin of terminal velocity for microsoft and had my mind blown

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

it's amazing that a factory reset is the only way to address most ios problems

remember when we used to make fun of windows users for always having to reformat and reinstall windows?

whats great is when you just KNOW theres an individual plist file in that icloud restore fuckin' things up, if it wasn't locked down you could just nuke a single corrupt boolean flag somewhere

But nope, now you gotta tell someone to start their whole ios experience from scratch. Praise be timb

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

I'm the redundant redundancy for things that area already on a screen less than an inch away that requires moving your hands off of your existing input device to interact with that is the quest to find some kind of use for the touchbar

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

poty posted:

apple buying nintendo is my #1 fav fan fiction merger

imagine the click in controllers on the switch, but, instead are on ugly dongles that can barely stay in the port and have cables 3 inches long

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

hummm, maybe you shouldn't run a beta on your daily driver

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Lambert posted:

In 2002, you could get a 15" for like $200.

I don't remember that being a thing at all. If it did exist, that 15" had more ghosting than an indian burial ground

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

lmao just lmao if you think apple even gives a poo poo about the built in mail and calendar applications on any of their devices

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

echinopsis posted:

it seems like the kind of business man poo poo that they make priority

like it boggles my mind why it doesn’t work

apple mail and calendar are garbage on ios and macos , moreso on macos than ios but still garbage on both

no one uses icloud outside of photo storage/iphone backups because its a joke

if you're doing any kind of business work it's 99% of the time going to be with g-suite or o365 , and they have better apps anyway

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

What if I told you that notarizing is actually really easy and just a good way to stop malicious code from being run?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

that's apple's pitch, but it's about making developers agree to app store terms as an intermediate step into forcing all mac software through the mac app store and it's sandboxing requirements, which won't allow for interesting software that makes a general purpose computer useful:

if all mac software has to be in the mac app store and sandboxed, then you just have a worse ipad

yeah you're actually right

from the internal mutterings I get from apple, the security focus on macos has kinda gotten out of hand. Especially since a lot of security features have been implemented haphazardly and without documentation (I'm looking at you, secure token system). While at the same time glaringly obvious things that should be caught in code review got missed (ie the 'root'/'nopassword' auth issue a few years ago).

I'm not entirely sure it's a conspiracy for mac app store control at this point, but, this stinks of a mac-security-team rule to me.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

this is me , but, for over a decade

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

bring back 4:3 laptop aspect ratios imo

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

i bet facebook loaded real fast

I'm not even sure it would. It's not like the mac pro has a great antenna array (why would it?) and I'm sure this thing wasn't hard wired to ethernet.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

if I remember right, even a pentium 4 with SSE2 could run circles around a G4/G5 in a lot of video tasks

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

SRQ posted:

on this note of ppc/vs intel compare the late 2005 PowerBook G4 to the first Macbook Pro.

It's hilarious considering that, for a short time, those G4s were shipping against Core duo and veeeeery close to Core 2 duo.

The late g4's were very shameful, even when going against the Pentium M line, when it came to raw performance. The thing is the quality control on most of laptops short of thinkpads or high end sony laptops no one was paying attention to. Also Intel was really bad at marketing just how good the Pentium M line was with all their centrino branding which just confused people. Also Mac OS was worth putting up with the lovely g4 for.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

just lol if you're still using mail.ipa or mail.app

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

i feel like I post one thing over and over again

just lol if you use mail.ipa

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

whats a 'cumputer' ?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

James definitely won the funko pop negotiation

The fact he can just buy as many as he wants as gifts or when a convention is happening is a pretty big loophole to be honest

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Without the touchbar, if I need to adjust my volume to mute in a meeting or my brightness down I can do so without even thinking about it or looking at my machine

With the touchbar I look like a goddamn idiot hunting and pecking and squinting at an oled bar in an awkward spot

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

these posts lead me to believe a lot of people in yospos are very lonely and only interact with other people in work settings

just these posts led you to this?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

infernal machines posted:

does anyone maintain an in house mac support team tho? even the places i know of with an entire department on macs (creatives, natch) just contract support out to a local applecare certified retailer

no one wants to pay to maintain applecare certs just to be able to repair poo poo in house

for a smaller shop that doesn't meet that minimum by a long shot, the answer is to have a few spare laptops in the fleet and a AASP you can dump mac repairs on

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

infernal machines posted:

yeah, this is pretty much my experience. the local AASPs are hilarious though.

ime the process is bad because the in house people refuse to know anything about macs or set up any kind of management infrastructure for them, and the aasp is just retail level computer janitors and the two of them interfacing is a complete clusterfuck for the people trying to do their work on a mac

to be clear, i'm not saying this is a mac problem, just a problem

oh for sure, I'm lucky (well, maybe not?) because once upon a time a long time ago I was a computer janitor at said AASP, so it's pretty easy to cut through bullshit with them

I'd say on some levels it is an apple problem though, they don't have a good middle-ground for enterprise repair options up here in Canada (I'm envious of the janitors in the states who can just mail in their repairs) and Apple can't figure out if they want in or out of the pool with enterprise or not as a whole.

In a weird sadistic way, I do like being a mac computer toucher though, once you know where the bullshit flags are with apple, it's usually pretty chill, and the open-sores community filling in the holes that apple doesn't know how to fill is actually really good and active. There's a camaraderie from being constantly hosed by Timb that brings us all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Your thought experiment works great with the snow white design aesthetic though