Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the subpixel layout, tho in this case it looks like it's RGBW instead of RGBG, which was the old shittier way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i guess that doesnt actually describe what pentile is to someone who doesnt know so my bad, but this describes it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i have multiple people in my family who did manual labor for their entire lives and have absolutely ruined their hands meaning touch id is more or less useless for them. they can set it up, but the failure rate is north of 50%. shame theyll never know the beauty of it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

also, the $1000 phone probably needs a screen saver

they’ve designed the ios ui around this. unless your leaving it on a single screen for hours at peak brightness it’ll be fine. the home bar and status icons change color and should be fine.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

apple has hired vince russo

stebe edition xtreme

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

wrong

Face ID sucks

it might get better but the amount of times it fails is ridiculous - in bed with a pillow, walking, trying to look at it under the table, with a hand on my mouth, drinking water

seriously I’ve put in my password more times in a month with Face ID than 5 years of Touch ID

Edit: now I have to pray and look directly at my black screen in order to access the wonders within, next update I will be required to kneel
anecdotally, i retrained faceid since i was noticing more and more failures and it seemed to work better. i dunno if it cleared out a bunch of other peoples dumb faces skewing my results since it learns faces if it fails and you enter a passcode or what, but could be worth trying

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

also the gestures own, app switching is as easy as its ever been

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, the success of the echo and to a lesser extent sonos shows you that there very much is a market for 'small speaker that plays things and sometimes you can ask it things it wont know the answer to probably'

but hey you know what that market wants? to play their spotify poo poo.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

pram posted:

how is bing xbox live music groove zune msn wma playsforsure 98 doing these days
shut down jan 31st.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the homepod would be a totally fine "good enough for most" speaker with an assistant but the problem is the sonos one exists, is $150 less, works with streaming services people use, and has a functional voice assistant that you can expand with non-sonos devices.

and lol of course google releases one for $50 more than the homepod that sounds worse.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

chromecast is the exception that proves the rule

oh sure, the homepod probably sounds better than a sonos one but lol if apple thinks theres a sizable market that exists between sonos speakers and even an entry level deec home stereo system. gently caress get two sonos ones for the same price as a homepod and theres your multiroom or stereo pair that actually works out of the fuckin box instead of waiting on software updates.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Imagine having to use Apple Safari instead of Samsung Internet. ROFLMAO

maybe being stranded on an island running your tournaments has clouded your judgment because safari is a good broswer??

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

not like itd help but thats like a five year old phone, even if you went from a 5s to an 8 or X youd still feel the difference

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tweetbot is an incredibly good twit app

akadajet posted:

I've been hearing androiders tell me "oh, it's good now. you just had an old phone" for years. And every time I use an android device it's still a slow stuttery mess.
if they havent used an ios device lately they have no idea what theyre talking about, though i will say the pixel 2 is the closest google has gotten to 'oh this works.'

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i thought ios converted images to do i look like i know what a jpeg is when you shared stuff in other apps?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

pff like id talk to a green bubble

or anyone ever

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, the issue with maps isnt the interface for the most part.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

e: aw goddamned emptyquote button

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

has there been any confirmation that the imessage out of order bug is related to icloud poo poo or some change in the way apples handling imessage storage behind the scenes? anecdotal, but i have an x that i didnt restore from a backup and i havent seen it at all, but all of my friends who have phones that theyve updated to 11 have all seen it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

not really janitoring if you dont mash 'ok' every time tim helpfully asks you 'hey do you want this app to bug you or nah'

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

its a bug based on the trusted devices restriction, so i dunno. 12.1 is fixing it, its not hardware based and you can fix it now by going into the faceid and passcode settings thing and flipping the switch on 'usb accessories' i'm p sure.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Last Chance posted:

no other company would bother with
its good that apple attempted it. gently caress the police.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, i dunno. i have a library of music. i pick an album i want to listen to, and i listen to it. when i want to add an album to my library, i hit the button and it does it. spotify's song limit is like, 10% of other services, therefore it doesn't really work for me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

it doesn't look fine compared to an oled.

says the guy who never saw lg's oled panels

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

unless you're traveling (you know, the main reason portable computers exist) and you need to bring a cord to charge your headphones

what if... my headphones, smartphone, and laptop all use the same port to charge

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

tell me more about this usb-c iphone (or lightning powered laptop)

oh i'm mostly just saying apple should go whole hog on usb-c.
or maybe your using some shaggar-esque combination of a windows phone, a surface book, and some usb-c bluetooth earbuds.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lambert posted:

Terrible color reproduction

Displaymate on the XS Max's OLED panel posted:

Very High Absolute Color Accuracy (0.8 JNCD), which is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect, and almost certainly considerably better than your existing Smartphone, UHD TV, Tablet, Laptop, and computer monitor.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

The detach icon doesn't make sense at first glance; need to see portrait vs. landscape, which iOS has been gettin worse about; doesn't show the on screen keyboard or indicate how focus will transfer; need to see how multitasking/app switching works; need to see what happens to pinned panels when returning to the springboard; need to see how this interacts with notification banners, alerts, control center, edge swipes, etc.; need to see how this is supposed to work across multiple apps; ...

why would multitasking, app switching, returning to the springboard, multiple apps, interactions with notification banners, alerts, control center, or edge swipes change? that just shows everything happening inside a single app.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah you have to hold an extra like, second or more to go from menu to shaky apps.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tip that helps make the Apple TV remote less rear end: just tap at the top to trigger up, bottom to trigger down, etc.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hed posted:

I guess I won't use Safari any more because I don't want to buy 1Password 7 to get an extension that works with it.

Ah yes, a full year. A rich history of legacy support.

you have to buy a new version of 1pass? i don't think i've ever done that with my license that i bought forever ago, mac or windows...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

according to dxomark that huawei has objectively the highest image quality of any camera phone ever so joke's on apple i guess

not that huawei specifically but yes

iphone is slightly behind in dxo's photo test, but ahead in video.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

counterpoint: the airpods pro are p bad at noise cancelling. apple has a long way to go

i think that was a conscious decision, iirc they built in "venting" of some sort that helps reduce the pressure that anc introduces and the tradeoff is it cuts the effectiveness i assume. considering most people aren't using them for anything approaching "audiophile" listening, i think it's a decent choice. they sound better, isolate more noise, probably fit more people, but aren't there to replace bose or sony's over ear anc stuff.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i often use my phone in ways that doesn’t require interaction or, if it does, requires interaction wherever my thumb can reach. having a hueg screen is good.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yes and i bought the biggest one of those too. there’s times where i’m out and about and not able or willing to carry a tablet and/or a bag for it, so huegphone is incredibly needs suiting.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i’m more curious about app support. does this give an easier path or a more clear incentive for ios devs to give a poo poo about catalyst? does it give apple a reason to make catalyst not suck like it apparently does currently?
if apple can give me a version of my 16 mbp that has killer battery life and gpu performance on par with the relative poo poo they’re putting in it now, approaches parity with compute power, and offers “desktop” versions of things like lumafusion, ferrite, etc. i’d be totally happy.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

lol at anyone giving two shits what john fireball has to say. apple journos have their heads up their collective rear end.
at the same time, i feel like people underestimate how much “serious” work can already be done on an ipad with lumafusion, ferrite, pixelmator, etc. there are people who spent money on a mac pro and fcpx who think they absolutely cannot make their 4k30 single cam youtube tech reviews that 30 people actually care about.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

"not letting users leave it plugged in is a conscious design decision"

looks at the other two "magic" accessories that can be plugged in and used wired

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

that post can’t be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

everyone go listen to papa roach’s last resort, the atmos mix is one of the worst things i’ve ever heard