Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

echinopsis posted:

lady at work was kinda like amazed at my oiphone a bit and asked how much it cost and I said it was three fifity (a refurb SE) which IMO is amazing value for the phone you get, and if you spend that on a new android youd get a turd, and I think she was very very surprised at how much it was compared to everyone else with an iphone who might have a 6 or 7 but bought new and people spending $600+ so assume the iphone is out of reach

as long as you get a 5s or newer you are good.

a 5S is better than almost every andoird phone out there

I hope apple sweeps up that market

I want timb to realise the oiphone SE2 cos I need a new phone but it feels like I've missed the boat on buying an SE at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

So yeah uh does this mean

1) all macs will now be ARM
2) apple will start manufacturing x86 chips
3) they invent their own architecture?

Because I'm not sure which of those three is more hilarious

comedy option

1.2) apple buys ARM

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the united states, poor people perform nearly all of their purchases in cash. and many, many americans are poor.

7% of households -- 15 million adults -- have no bank account whatsoever. another 20% of households, containing ~50 million adults, almost half the loving workforce, have bank accounts but are also forced to use non-traditional financial istitutions. these are the "underbanked"

in short, 27% of households and very nearly half of the american workforce depend on cash, every single day. buying groceries, paying rent, holding down a car note

edit: source https://www.fdic.gov/householdsurvey/2015/2015report.pdf

you ain't wrong, but thats still piddly amounts of money because americans (most of them anyway) are poor as gently caress

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

AND GIVE ME THE SE2 TIMB!!!!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

tbf back then you just had Your Computer to worry about, not your computer + your laptop + the thing that runs your tv + your thousand dollar smartphone that is the new thing you have to replace every year

luckily no one in yospos has to add family and children to that list!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

dunno why you guys are so worried about virtualization you can just use the win10 arm build

who will be the sole hacker trying to port win10 arm to the new mbp? who amongst us is brave enough to dare? bold enough to venture to a new land from which none have returned?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

loving the pretty new colours, thanks timb :)

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

big slug trip report:

work mandated vpn causes kernel panic reboot loop thanks to new security signing

copy/paste is hosed up, I don’t even know how they managed this lmbo

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Calling people on the phone is the best way to get what you want quickly

best way to get poo poo done is to send an email threatening to call them tomorrow

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

timb when can I get a new 15 inch mac pro with a decce amount of ram?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

the true way is the tie fighter. vertical on either side of a horizontal monitor

I need to get a second vertical

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

waiting for reviews of the new notch book to come out before hitting go

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Ansible Adams posted:

youre going to buy it and like it you little piggy

too right, but I’m at least going to pretend i was cautious and consider before dropping 3000 squids on a loving laptop :negative:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

“i can’t wait until stata releases for my ipad” - totally normal goon having absolutely a real one

absolutely shameful, even by the standards of this forum

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

tbh i bought it for school and use it for notes during class and whiteboarding over zoom during office hours with my undergrads. it's quite loving handy, but it would be nice to be able to do the stata work alongside the prof in my econometrics class instead of having to figure it out later on my own. stata 17 is supposed to be a universal app. i don't know if the ipad pro will explicitly support it, but i hope it does.

the pencil is really loving good. i'm taking the same notes except saving paper. i'm a dork excited about his new toy.

I take back dunking on you personally, and would instead like to make fun of economics and it’s blind obsession with stata. stata is bad, expensive and everything it can do can be done much better in other languages, and no one else uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

i’m also a finance phd not economics but i still take a handful of classes with the eco phds

well I'm also an academic who works a lot with fanatical data in python so congrats on your poor life choices :negative: