Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the only airline i flew on that outright made you turn everything off and didn’t let you listen to music during takeoff was KLM

god they suck

Mad Wack posted:

one lufthansa flight i was on made everyone switch on airplane mode and had an attendant go seat to seat making everyone show their phones lol

air baltic did this once in the last couple years to me. thankfully, riga-stockholm flight is like 40 minutes of air time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

try quickly typing 1+2+3 on ios11 stock calculator

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it takes a little bit of time for stuff to filter down to us here in ee

i just couldn't post here for a week bc sa is banned in russia and i was on a work trip in southeastern siberia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the struggle is real

also i’m p sure although the awful app is completely nonfunctional the normal forums website worked alright

tried website once, didn't work too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

SA is banned in Russia? lmao wtf
a frontpage article got sa on state watchlist a few years back for information prohibited for distribution in russia (probably some gay meme or something idk)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

welcome to #thereistance, the management

dont anyone dare to post #theяesistance

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

THC posted:

'muh security' dweebs on twitter have discovered the photo keyword search from iOS 10 and are freaking out cause it can identify pics of brassieres

i don't even know what a brassiere is

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is that like some ancient thing related to bras that was popular in british empire in 19th century?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's a kind of restaurant, one place near me had a brasserie menu for october that was really good and only like $50/person compared to their usual $100/person menu

i hope 50/person is very nice or mediocre but unlimited

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in other news, iphone ecks 256 is 1560 united states dollars and 89 cents here in latvia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

approximately double the monthly average neto salary in the richest region of the country, if i am not mistaken

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

Apple generally charges the same base price everywhere. on top of that are taxes and other fees your country requires but that don’t go to Apple. sales tax in the US is between 0 and 10 percent depending on the state, so the price varies by that much. you probably have a steeper VAT than that.

yeah i know, especially with our vat being 21% now, and at least 18% for forever. just saying how much it means to a normal latvian person with a more tangible reference point

the price itself is not a surprise in the slightest

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

Wait people in this thread are actually buying an iPhone X lmao

yes, got to cash in my data science checks :smug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

the iPhone 5S was twice as fast as your iPhone 5. literally.

yeah iphone ecks is like 5 times as fast on single core, and double that on multicore. and like 30 times as fast as 5s on metal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

i still cant believe i ordered a stupid loving touch bar mbp

also cant believe it takes a month cause i requested a us keyboard

lmao us keyboard

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

these fuckin uk idiots put ` and \ in the wrong places
love me some uk keyboard layout. now the swedish one is a loving war crime, there's a button for <>|\ next to the left shift

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

the only other vendor we can spend grant money on is dell i think lol

ive got a dell xps 13 at work and id normally recommend it were it not for donglgate (tho with mbp you have the same problem), and the loving usb bug

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xaris posted:

uh dare i ask what the gently caress donglgate is

that's when you need to carry around a daisy chain of cable converters because your computer has no ports on it. right now, at my work setup, i have a 4 way usb-usb splitter and an usb-dvi converter for external monitor, and the only free ports of value are thunderbolt 3 and headset jack.

ive gotten a second monitor now so i had our it order me a tb3 dual displayport adapter instead, since there's no way i can pull off two usb-dvi converters

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0DoQYGZt8M

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FaceID

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

biggest proof the MacBook touchbar loving sucks: no laptop makers seem even remotely interested in copying it

whoa, true. the only.aomewhat comparable thing is razer laptops with fucky numpad, but that predates touchbar by years and is extremely lol on its own

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Linguica posted:

frankly most of the disparity seems to come from the additional unlock animation the iphone x does for whatever reason

that's prolly where id part happens

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that way if you get arrested leo have no problem accessing your phone

just use it for your app store purchases or something if you sleep like a vietnam vet from an anecdote

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

is this the after shot from one of those youtube channels that purposely breaks new apple products

maybe, but even if its not, im already seeing iphone x boxes being sold for $120 , or you could rent them - $15 for an instagram photo with the box

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

yeah i flatly refuse to watch that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://streamable.com/5k8w3 animoji

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

how much is ippleCare+

$199

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Perplx posted:

intel is making a chip with AMD graphics https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003/intel-to-create-new-8th-generation-cpus-with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

which means quad core macbooks and 13" macbooks pro with real graphics!

or not, we'll see how good it is in reality.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i was on the train watching a video with my X and AirPods and a guy behind me taps my shoulder.

him: do you like it? was it worth it?

me: i'm liking it.

he gives me a smirk and pulls out a space grey iPhone X box from a white apple bag. looks like he had come back from buying one. i give him a nod and a thumbs up while mouthing "nice" and went back to my movie.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

lol, did you seriously spend the equiv of like five months rent on a telephone?

no i copied a post from reddit before it became a popular copypasta. besides, how realistic does it sound to you that two latvians on train are discussing their 4-figure purchases

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ill still likely buy it, but i just spent 6 months of rent on a chair and 5 more on a media computer for my parents

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

not very, i was wondering how long it would be before you got rolled into the street and guillotined for your largess

i wouldn't be surprised if someone would try to mug me, even though brazen street muggeries are a thing of the past decade

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

lmao. apple is going to make the EU bureaucrats play whack a mole with every tiny municipality that has a trade agreement with the EU.

eu is already talking about unified blacklist lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i was talking to cinci, who lives in latvia, where the average rent is like $200

where i live 5 months rent will buy you a used car

here 5 months of rent will buy you a used car too, to be honest :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i guess the disparity is an iphone x does not cost the equivalent of a used car* here

*like, something other than an 86 renault alliance

what do you think is a 1000 dollar used car in latvia, 2010 q7 with 50 kilomiles?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

any consumer goods other than basic food, alcohol, smokes, and select medicaments, is more expensive in latvia than in most of eu, because we can only produce those listed, and in limited quantities, and our excise is low

iphone ecks 256 gb is 1349 eur/1563 usd

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

like a diesel rabbit from 1991, idk.

my assumptions about eastern europe haven't changed since the wall fell

yes, you can buy a functionally mobile 1991 shitwagen for under a grand elsewhere too i bet, since if you're shopping for that you don't care for ideal conditions, low mileage, repair service history, etc. all that matters is how cheap/common parts are and if your 65 year old garden neighbour who was a self-propelled artillery driver in soviet army can fix it for a jug of booze

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.ss.com/msg/lv/transport/cars/audi/80/dxdon.html

here's a typical example of car like what is discussed. 1988 audi 80 (1.8 litre petrol/gas hybrid) with ~100 kilomiles and biennial dmv tech inspection expiring late next year (so its partially unfit for it by assumption), for 700 eur/800 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

basically its rural_hs_senior_starter_kit.jpg.