Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lol my current work 2016 mbp is having some...issues

These are all idle readings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

imagine having like a google mic directly in your house like what the literal gently caress

and people are doing this

and paying for the privilege too

I mentioned this in AI the other day and was told "lol gently caress off grandpa it's just because you don't understand the technology"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

haven’t the Linux nerds built a speech recognizing assistant that you can host yourself yet
the internet is dumb and I don’t want to have to rely on it to set an egg timer

There's something called Home Assistant or something that's an open source one that can run solely off an internal network and doesn't shell out to Google or amazon.

I think it takes a lot of setup though.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

sounds like a huge time sink for what will just be a pile of crap

Yep pretty much.

All of this stuff is basically just absolute minor quality of life poo poo for a huge cost.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

based on some limited experience with stuff like crestron and amx, and also seeing people throw tons of iot crap in their houses, ive come to the conclusion that all existing home automation systems require tons of active maintenance to continue working it’s just the fancy expensive ones you pay an installer $$$ to fix it for you when it breaks

Pretty much

The cost either comes from selling your data to Google or Amazon for their AIO devices or paying beaucoup dollar for a self rolled one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Hit three figgies