Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Shaggar posted:

it wasn't a "possibility" they got caught red handed colluding to raise ebook prices with publishers.

Apple didn’t get caught doing poo poo. They allowed publishers to set their own price, just like they let app developers and movie studios set their own price. They just didn’t expect the publishers to then go and loving collude to fix prices. (Since nobody else on the store was doing that poo poo.) The publishers were the ones who got caught, since they were the ones in the wrong. They finally had a good competitor to Amazon for ebooks and they hosed it all up.

Anyways, actual content: Sikh comic gets an IPhone X and tests it against his less-conventional hair/facial attire. (Sorry about the Facebook link.) https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155855604536419&id=512871418

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

carry on then posted:

not found

what was the gist

He tried six different ways of wrapping his hair and beard, and no matter what he did Face ID still worked just fine and unlocked his phone.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fiedler posted:

"what's a computer?"

By my estimation, we're about 5-7 years out from having folks enter the workforce who've only used tablets and phones at home. People who are gonna see their work computer with the same kind of unfamiliarity as office workers of the 80s.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

I'm getting a nas soon, I'm assuming itunes still really doesn't like it when your library is on a network drive?

It can work, and even work well, but you need to follow the instructions for moving the library very carefully. Trying any other way will result in heartbreak and a lot of wasted time.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

go play outside Skyler posted:

so with 1.5TB of ram can you actually mount an entire file system in the ram ? that would be pretty cool

I still remember messing around with my hand-me-down IBM PS/2 and PC DOS, and there was an option to mount a drive in RAM. Because who could use all 512k of RAM at once? Might as well turn 256k of that into D:\

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Last Chance posted:

nintendo would have to be in very bad shape to accept a buyout from a US company

e: even if they were in serious trouble, i doubt they would

The Japanese government would bail out Nintendo before they let an American company buy them out.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pulcinella posted:

Microsoft has been trying to make the Xbox more than just game console since the original Xbox. The only reason they made the Xbox in the first place was because they were afraid Sony was going to take over the living room and from there the PC.

Then it turned out that it was smart phones that are killing most of the PC market.

Yep. Everyone was obsessed with taking over "the living room" in the early 00s, then it turns out the living room is kinda boring.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what. i liked the 12 incher. macbook air is not quite as portable. might grab one off the clearance store

The 12 inch MacBook is my personal dev-only machine. Getting used to the keyboard takes a moment each time, but it’s a nice computer.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pram posted:

new chrome update added this awful loving mouseover to tabs. wtf??!!!!

Chrome caving in to the maniac "keep 900 tabs open until only favicon.ico is visible for each one" crowd.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

timb maintaining his platinum-star gay rating by never actually making physical contact with a woman.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The_Franz posted:

there's probably still some people cutting together commercials for the local pizza place who haven't jumped ship from final cut, even after apple started dumbing it down

Wasn’t the biggest selling point for this new Mac Pro the Afterburner add-on specifically for pulling and processing high-resolution video in native format? That would be just as useful if you’re a Premier shop.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FMguru posted:

And Dr. Dre said...nothing, you idiots!
Dr. Dre's dead, he's locked in my basement (ha ha!)
-- the real timb shady

i thought that 90% of the value of beats was in the brand and its logo, odd that apple would just evaporate and subsume that. or maybe note - beats' pop culture footprint is probably a lot less than it was five years ago, and apple has a long history of discarding sub-brands (there is only one brand, and it is apple)

I'd probably put it more at 50/50 split in the value of their brand vs their tech. I wouldn't be surprised if the Beats acquisition really helped Apple get a head start on the AirPods. But yeah, at this point they've wrung all the value possible out of the tech, and keeping the Beats brand valuable would require spending money promoting that brand (or spending money innovating their tech, which Apple would never do instead of spending on their own tech).

I mean, Dre got his three commas out of it, so I'm sure he could care less if Beats gets shuttered.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Scribble: Apple Newton devs finally having their day.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

These shots of the Apple Campus fitness center has me missing the fitness center at the Austin offices back in the day. I got the fittest I'd been in my entire life there. (Granted, being a mere tech support drone who couldn't afford a ton of food also helped.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FCKGW posted:

I think this is either the lobby or the demo room for the theater

Yeah, I think it's the lobby/overflow room.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Big Sur. Looking forward to the nicknames for this one.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Like the privacy stuff in Safari... Now if they can just get webdevs to stop preventing me from using anything but Chrome or Firefox when I'm trying to use their page...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

how exactly are they monitoring passwords for data breaches???

Crawling breach sites and matching hashes?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Plank Walker posted:

lolling remembering that thousands of nerds were convinced that iphones were garbage for non technical women and children because of edgy sega genesis marketing

Just a few months ago, a friend was recently asking for suggestions on what laptop to buy he son-in-law who was interested in "becoming a programmer". The thread was full of people who apparently never left 1995 insisting that, instead of a laptop, she (exact quote here) "Make him build a PC.. learn from the ground up. Can't do that with a Mac"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

the talent deficit posted:

apple music is the only service worth paying for and even then only if you refuse to use spotify for some reason

I’ve been using Apple Fitness+ for the last two weeks (since I got my Series 6 watch). The yoga workouts in particular are extremely good. Originally I was just going to use the three-month free trial and hope that by the end of it I’d be vaccinated and be able to go to the gym again, but now I’m pretty sure I’ll keep it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sagebrush posted:

What is the newest apple computer that can't update past 10.12?

Hrm... I don’t see any limited to 10.12 here. There seem to be a lot of cutoffs in the 10.11 (which seem to be models up to early 2009) and 10.13 (with models starting in late 2009 through around 2011).

https://everymac.com/systems/by_capability/maximum-macos-supported.html

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Management posted:

10 years ago today stebe (pbuh) revealed the iPad. this gave us many years of comedy as competitors tried to make their own.

rip crunchpad

Oh man, remember everyone freaking out about how the name iPad was terrible and people would only ever think of menstrual products when they hear it?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FMguru posted:

apple earnings call underway

https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1354543357553500164

lol they blew the ceiling off

Seems like a lot of folks waited 'till they could finally get an iPhone with 5g...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kenny Logins posted:

they're also about the size of an iphone 5

They do have headphone jacks, though...

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it’s 2021 and downloading movies is pretty niche. 32gig is easily enough for a cross country flight. are you putting whole seasons of anime’s on there or something

I mean, if you're shooting a lot of photos or video (which the children who are the target market for these things will almost certainly be doing), 32gb will fill up fast.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fart simpson posted:

i will never wear an iwatch

They're dope as hell, though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Doc Block posted:

"Umm Mr Cook why are you such a big meanie? All Epic wants to do is open their own app store because Fortnite income has plateaued but Epic's owners are still demanding an increase in revenue and not having to pay App Store fees would get them off Tim Sweeny's back for a while. Oh and also their primary owner is using them to wage a proxy war against you, why can't you just let Epic have this? They pinky swore they'd care about user privacy!"

As I described it to a friend: The Epic v. Apple case is basically a crack dealer upset that they have to pay the mob boss a protection fee.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

m1 (2021), m1 (2022), etc.

m1 (late 2021), m1 (Blondi Blue 2022)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

thank you apple for the timely reminder that if i don't sign up today i'll lose my chance at a free year of apple tv+. sure would hate to sleep on that

Apple TV+ is such a loss leader it makes Prime Video look like a foundational part of Amazon's business. (But apparently Ted Lasso is really good.)

Silver Alicorn posted:

guess who bought an Apple Watch and has to wait two weeks because they chose the rainbow watch band

They had them in-stock for same-day pickup when I got mine in January (yay stimulus check!) I wonder if that was just because of extra Christmas stock or if my suburb is gayer than I thought...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Silver Alicorn posted:

40mm or 44mm?

44mm (previously had a 42mm Series 3, and I gotta say the extra size is nice)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Carthag Tuek posted:

I have big hands and I hate big phones

Just another example of YOSPOS's culture of "manual correctness" gone mad!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Decided to dive in and get an m1 mini to replace my late 2013 iMac. I was going to wait until there was an iMac with the m1, but the price is low enough that I wouldn't feel bad if I just use it as my primary desktop for 1-2 years before upgrading. The only worry I have is that my current machine can't upgrade to Big Sur, so I'm hoping there that there won't be a problem using migration assistant from my current time machine backup to set up the new mini.

Of course, it'll be March 1st before it arrives, so I guess I've got time to study further.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mad Wack posted:

the North Dakotan App Exclusionary Zone more likely, people driving to South Dakota to install apps on their phones once the state is totally removed from all app stores

Nah, it'll be like how people under 13 aren't allowed to have accounts, so people still make accounts for their kids and just lie about their birth year. They'll block all billing addresses in North Dakota, and everyone will just use gift cards while updating their address to say they now live in the white house or the world trade center or whatever.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Still better than the original version that took 2 AA batteries (that wouldn't always seat properly, resulting in your mouse blinking out if you moved it too quickly).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

According to UPS, my m1 mini is on a truck and set to be delivered today. However, we're also experiencing a lot of heavy sleet and road conditions are getting worse, so it's 50/50 if I finally get to retire this 2013 iMac today or not...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Binary Badger posted:

Got a monitor on standby? (Although with enough adapters maybe you could do Target Display Mode..)

Already got the monitor delivered a while back (keyboard and magic mouse, too). Went with a Samsung 28" E590 4k, so the screen size is a touch larger than this 27" iMac.

...and sure enough, just refreshed the UPS tracking and severe weather delays have moved the delivery date to tomorrow. (Oddly enough, the Apple Store still shows the estimated delivery as this coming Monday. I wonder if they intentionally keep a long estimate or if they know something I don't.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

Already got the monitor delivered a while back (keyboard and magic mouse, too). Went with a Samsung 28" E590 4k, so the screen size is a touch larger than this 27" iMac.

...and sure enough, just refreshed the UPS tracking and severe weather delays have moved the delivery date to tomorrow. (Oddly enough, the Apple Store still shows the estimated delivery as this coming Monday. I wonder if they intentionally keep a long estimate or if they know something I don't.)

The m1 mini finally arrived late yesterday. Very needs-suiting (except for its internal speaker, going to need to look into external computer speakers for the first time since 2003). I didn't realize beforehand that it would scale things on my 4k monitor to the proportions of a 1080 display because of retina, so it feels like there is less screen real estate than on the old iMac. But it's also insanely sharp. Chrome feels a bit slower than Safari now, but that's more because Safari feels tremendously faster while Chrome seems to be about the same as it was on the old machine.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Soricidus posted:

you know you can adjust that right? not that many options but if you want things scaled smaller you can have it

Oh yeah, I looked that up pretty quickly. I’m gonna keep it as-is for now, but if it starts to bug me I’ll probably switch.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Carthag Tuek posted:

ah, but have any computers been appropriate at any time in history?

and has there been a workplace that was not dysfunctional?

i think not! mhmm

The Antikythera mechanism was needs-suiting.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

I wonder if they thought that those people who go to apple.com, max out every bto option and then don't buy anything were actual potential customers and not daydreaming teenagers

I've definitely been one of those daydreamers. Occasionally still looking at maxed-out Mac Pros with the idea that, since I'm now stocked up on external monitors and such after moving from an iMac to an M1 Mini, my next machine in 4-5 years might be a Pro (assuming they've updated the line in that timeframe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Last Chance posted:

it’s this kind of thing that separates Steve from people like musk. musk would have fired this guy or head butted the cube.

Yeah, for all the talk of Jobs being an rear end in a top hat, if he was wrong and someone could prove it, he was able to absorb that and change. (At least, post-exile Jobs could.)