Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Vegastar posted:

Stebe was truly ahead of his time. Now it’s trendy to die from refusing sensible medical treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Anne Frank Funk posted:

just a guy casually strolling through apple campus with a male to male cord sticking out of his jeans back pocket

text me?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

Now there's a block of power line sitting at 11,500 volts or whatever that the power company line worker thinks is de-energized, and you kill them.

:stare:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

caveat with this is don't use this for something that would recurring bill you, thinking you can just burn the number rather than canceling with the merchant.

the card networks have means of updating merchants with new numbers for recurring billing, and this is kosher in their book because you have an agreement with that particular merchant they can keep billing you.

i learned this the hard way thinking i could just backdoor cancel a subscription by burning the number in wallet.app. what actually happened was i got a few emails from the merchant saying "your card was declined" and then a few days later magically a charge went through again.

yeah all the major card networks have a concierge service like this where basically if you're a merchant and you pay them, they'll refresh your tokens if someone's card number changes.

I don't have access to the documentation anymore on what the actual overhead is on it, but it's not super-cheap. It's definitely enough that Netflix doesn't seem to bother with it (b/c I mean the hogs are gonna re-sub regardless), but if you're tbc and trying to run a service most people forget to cancel it's probably worth paying into the racket.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

we were talking about the apple support forums, not this thread

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

unless you're one of the poor who insists on using an android

ftfy

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

wasn't that curren-c, where it generated a qr code for the cashier to scan to take money from your bank account directly

yeah there was that, which was like a consortium of WalMart-et-al and the rollout them turning off the NFC stuff on all their terminals for a few years just to make the cockblock work

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

also it's not E2E encrypted most of the time

like literally only in peer-to-peer conversations if both parties are using google's messenger of the day...and I'm pretty sure half the emoji react-style things are also bolted on to the "standard"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

code:
Google's proprietary fork of RCS

Being from 2008 means RCS lacks much of what you would want from a modern messaging standard. First of all, as a standard, RCS is carrier messaging, so messages are delivered to a single carrier phone number, rather than multiple devices via the Internet, like how you would expect a modern service to operate. As a standard, there's no encryption. Google tried to glom features onto the aging RCS spec, but if you consider those part of the RCS sales pitch, which Google does, now it's more like you selling "Google's proprietary fork of RCS." Google would really like it if Apple built its proprietary RCS fork into iMessage.

Google's version of RCS—the one promoted on the website with Google-exclusive features like optional encryption—is definitely proprietary, by the way. If this is supposed to be a standard, there's no way for a third-party to use Google's RCS APIs right now. Some messaging apps, like Beeper, have asked Google about integrating RCS and were told there's no public RCS API and no plans to build one. Google has an RCS API already, but only Samsung is allowed to use it because Samsung signed some kind of partnership deal.

If you want to implement RCS, you'll need to run the messages through some kind of service, and who provides that server? It will probably be Google. Google bought Jibe, the leading RCS server provider, in 2015. Today it has a whole sales pitch about how Google Jibe can "help carriers quickly scale RCS services, iterate in short cycles, and benefit from improvements immediately." So the pitch for Apple to adopt RCS isn't just this public-good nonsense about making texts with Android users better; it's also about running Apple's messages through Google servers. Google profits in both server fees and data acquisition.
yup cool lol

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ruffian Price posted:

pixel binning is the right use of my photos :negative:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

pixel binning is also the best way to use android phones

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

restated: why would i condemn yalls beautiful posts to a little 6.7" screen when i could instead display them in 28" of 1440p 144hz glory

I'm sorry you're telling me you're reading my posts on a screen with a ppi that barely breaks 100 when you have a glorious 450 ppi OLED retina display right there?!?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

i picked up this asus a couple months ago and it's changed everything. i am sold

and I don't know what this means but it sounds vulgar :colbert:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

the new iphone 14 pro has an absolutely insane camera bump wtf

https://twitter.com/rjonesy/status/1567687018276163584?s=46&t=GMIppfckydsMssm4ds6RFQ

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
yeah the stalled recovery contact experience is not...great. there's no nudge on either end to click the link to accept the contact status, and the link that comes across in iMessage doesn't scream "click me!!!"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

Frightening to realize that the ouster of jony, rather than bringing the longed for redemption of skeus, only empowered people who somehow hate skeus even more

on the other end timb seems to love a sku

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
just can't loving kill one

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
like refusing to kill a half-decade-old watch because it sells for cheap and keeps doing so knowing the OS isn't going to be supported right up until the last possible minute is a crime/there should be a lawsuit, frankly

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

the true trotgoat

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

also i appreciate the signature function in preview. real nice

sign your posts then whydoncha

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

it would be skiing and tea more likely

I mean the most boomer-vibe poo poo is how he's definitely a bond dad...he loves an unattainable car and a fancy watch to the point that he was product-delayingly sure people were going to just switch apple watches to accessorize.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

Steve would never have allowed these to be released.

jokes on you those are actually stebe's personal sandals!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
the real shame is using or desiring to use a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
the ploystation 5 does the 4k but not all of the HDRs