Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

did anyone actually buy that surface studio desktop thing

there's one in the lobby of the hilton in bellevue (the one physically connected to microsoft hq). you can play checkers on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the ‘underpowered’ surface go uses the same processor (but upclocked) as the brand new macbook air

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

these things are used as appliances. you have absolutely no idea how normal people use computers. go build your nuc or whatever

a nuc is more of an appliance than the mac mini

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Last Chance posted:

who would you like to see as tim's successor?

scott forstall. bring back faux leather!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

wish apple would copy android notifications and the back button

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

syscall girl posted:

you want buttons on phones again?

given how lovely gestures are for usability, yeah i do

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

syscall girl posted:

i got no dog in this fight

buttons ahoy but seems like this is not happening

i have no illusions we'll ever get buttons back, but i think anyone who thinks gestures beat buttons is a stockholm syndromed apple taint licker

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do these guys not eat their own dogfood?

apple employees have the same problem that apple fanboys suffer from; they are so invested in the idea that apple is always right that they rationalize competitor's advantages as secret flaws and their own shortcomings as good taste

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

my iphone refuses to accept that "sent" is a real word. it keeps correcting it to "went"

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

FMguru posted:

apple cares about privacy because they figure it will be a key point of differentiation between themselves and android, especially as they become heavily involved in medical devices

nah it's because all their attempts to monetize user data are gigantic failures and pivoting to respecting user privacy is a good way to spin that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

like they have the best engineers and designers and tons of money if they wanted they could totally make the best computer

this is their problem. all their designers are already at the peak of their industry so they’re more concerned with getting their work in the braun design sammlung than actually making something users want

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

marcos bad podcast (atp) had phil schiller on for an hour long interview wwdc commercial where we found out he likes room temp mac and cheese and casey liss' favorite car is a lovely corvette

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

akadajet posted:

I can’t even keep up with all the stuff on Netflix. why on earth would I pay for another streaming service?

because apple's superior marzipan based app technology will ensure you experience content as the creators intended

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

akadajet posted:

I can’t even keep up with all the stuff on Netflix. why on earth would I pay for another streaming service?

apple has ensured there's no bad words or sexual content so you won't need to check commonsensemedia.org before you stream something

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

akadajet posted:

it's not a streaming service, it's an ever growing archive of cultural artifacts

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, does the Oct18 MBA have the bad-touch keyboard?

:ohdear:

every laptop introduced after late 2015 has the bad keyboard

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Shaggar posted:

apple has never made a working input device.

the standalone trackpad is really good

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

I told y’all, they never got it to work without active cooling and no one is gonna buy a qi charger with a fan

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

I've never even seen a Qi charger, what was Air Power supposed to do that a Qi charger can't do?

multiple coils to give larger active charging area to support more than one device at a time and being careless with where you put your phone on the pad

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

it's excellent gruber got tipped off there was airpower news coming out and just assumed it was being released

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i ordered the airs pod 2s when they were released; apple sent me the airs pod 1s “by mistake”; i shipped those back to be replaced by...more airs pod 1s

what a garbage company

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone know when they'll be moving to 9th gen Intels and 1660/2060 graphics (Dell is apparently releasing the XPS 15 with these in June)?

thermals already suck with 8th gen processors and mx/intel gpus, why would you want to pay more for even more power hungry parts? wait for a die shrink if you want more perf imo

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i'm really happy with the 2019 xps 13. my only real complaint is that panel self refresh was enabled by default

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i didn't know what that was so i looked it up

it sounds cool and an easy power savings win, is the problem that it doesn't work well?

the screen flickers whenever it exits power saving mode, it's annoying as hell

it also made no difference in battery life in my experience but to be fair i have the 1080p screen not the 4k. it might matter more with that display

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

The Management posted:

tomorrow is wwdc and there’s a lot of speculation that there will be a Mac Pro teaser in the keynote. I really hope they don’t gently caress this up, but I almost can’t see a way in which they don’t.

there's no way apple release a tower with a standard lga socket, a bunch of ram slots, a bunch of pci-e slots and a handful of nvme slots so there's basically no way they don't gently caress it up. i'm betting they release some sort of apple proprietary daughterboard thing with "modules" you can buy from apple until they get bored of supporting a machine that maybe 20000 people will buy

also none of it really matters if they don't make up with nvidia and support cuda because without that it's a non-starter for video editing, scientific computing or anyone doing ~machine learning~

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

32 gigglebytes confirmed!!

can someone explain to me, a moron idiot, what the afterburner card is?

all the privacy stuff is real good

the afterburner card is an asic that turns raw video files into apple prores, a video codec people used to use for editing a decade ago

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Sniep posted:

what pray tell would have replaced it today, then? DNxHD?
i wish pagancow didnt get banned sometimes lol

i think pretty much everything just works on raw now. the intel extensions and cuda decoders make intermediate formats sort of useless

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

the monitor is gimmicky and stupid. with 10 bit color you can do hdr or p3/rec.2020 but not both so "xdr" is probably just p3 with the brightness jacked way up. or you're not getting accurate color representation if you've got hdr enabled?

the $20k reference monitors they compared it to have way more color reference modes and hardware calibration. it's actual competition is $3k monitors from eizo and sony

they'll prob still sell a bunch to amateurs who want to play pro tho

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Perplx posted:

i was thinking the mac pro case must cost at least $1000 probably $2000 just going by volume of machined metal vs the grand stand

they also announced they'd have a rackmount version in the fall and if it's made out of sheet metal it's going to be $1000 cheaper

the rack mount version will be more expensive, not less

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i use whites at work because i'm trying to get fired

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

work forced me back onto a macbook and i can't believe how unbelievably poo poo mojave is. i can't have seperate scroll directions for my mouse and the laptop trackpad? i have to repair my airpods everytime i paid them with another computer? if i use the split screen feature apple-tab takes me to a blank desktop instead of the application on the right side of the screen? this thing is garbage

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

are you using the menu in the top right?

there's no menu. i have to go into system prefs, delete the airpods and then repair them if i pair them to anything else ever

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

oh, gross. it's real dumb that the 11 pro excess max edition (not Max) is smaller than the slightly more affordable 11 regular edition (non-Max excess pro)

i bought a pro not because i am really into iphone photography but because it's the smallest current gen phone apple sells

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

The idea of an algorithm being biased according to race/sex/etc is pretty messed up, like would we even know something was wrong if was more subtle about it?

these things are oracles handing down the will of a god we will never be equipped to understand. am i worried that we're introducing our own biases? ya sure i guess. am i terrified there's a million more biases i will never suspect are there? definitely

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i was more intrigued at the idea of hip hop with no vocals

look at this idiot whose never heard of an mc

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

are some of you dipshits seriously so out of touch that you don't know the base mac pro spec on a precision 7920 STARTS at almost $5k? and you don't get the accelerator card with that

yeah but the xeon line is like the worst buy in cpus you could possible make in 2019. a dell workstation with a xeon is also a terrible idea to buy

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

infernal machines posted:

apple selling "prosumer" junk as professional tools? the hell you say!

anyone who thought apples $6k monitor was gonna compete with even low end reference monitors has never needed a reference monitor

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

counterpoint: the airpods pro are p bad at noise cancelling. apple has a long way to go

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The Pro Workflow team is responsible for the 16-inch rMBP and the current cheesegrater Mac Pro. Supposedly made up of industry pros who do stuff like look for the 'pain points' of current Mac workflows and try to ease them by influencing the hardware teams.

the 16 inch rmbp is one of the worst laptops i've ever owned

it runs hot and constantly spins the fans all the way up, it weighs as much as a brick, the keyboard is mushy and the keys are wobbly, there's no hardware volume or brightness, the software is frightful, the screen randomly fades to a weird washed out greytone every couple of days, it consumes battery so fast the charger can't keep up and the fingerprint censor takes 3-4 tries to trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the bigger question is why the charger can't power the laptop indefinitely at its best performance setting

it's got poo poo thermals. charging it any faster would require it to throttle even further

anyone who thinks the new rmbp is good is either using it to check their email (but not watch youtube, that also kills the battery) or they're comparing it to like a 2015 rmbp