Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
SE is the perfect phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Round peg square hole

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

this fuckin blows me away

like this is a massive combination of parallel and serial manufacturing.. i wanna know how parallel it gets? like 10,000 currently being made at any one point in time or what

that’s incredible

they really shipping 365 million loving phones a year? That’s goddamn crazy

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh that’s bush league nonsense then, BORING

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kenny Logins posted:

spent a few minutes looking at this to see if you were using a secret code

don't know that I've ever spotted that happening naturally before

its called a river and typesetters try to avoid them but, internet

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_(typography)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish tim would let me teach my widdle keyboard AI how to say gently caress

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was pissed off when Photos.app came out because I spent a long time sperging out with iPhoto, training it to identify faces in thousands of (mostly pre-iOS) photos, and then poof all that was gone. Then iOS and Photos brought face detection back and leveraged all that existing work I put in that I thought was lost forever. So that was pretty cool.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

infernal machines posted:

i'm still trying to figure out how the lifecycle management thing is a "thing"

like, the preferred system would be for your phone to start shutting off at 30% charge after two years, like an android?

They’re called human emotions

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember that time apple found “a bug” in the cell strength indicator and they had to switch from bars to dots but dots don’t fit with the iPhone X ears so they’re back to bars again, presumably because the self-inflicted PR hit that comes from misrepresenting critical status information had finally blown over? Lol apple

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, 9/11 was an inside job

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
$1, bob

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
WebOS had the foresight to recognize how goddamn annoying push notifications can be an instead relegated them to a little strip likes news ticker at the bottom of the screen. That worked because they keyboard was a separate piece of hardware, but still, it boggles the mind that there haven’t been any meaningful innovations in notification management in years.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ur sitting wrong.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90155533/what-apples-new-office-chairs-reveal-about-work-in-2018

quote:

Moreover, there’s a sense in which offices are being designed to flatter the way that millennial workers would like to see themselves: Not as office drones, but creative types with side hustles and Instagram followers. The offices that companies aspire to, says Orpilla, are those that look creative and make workers feel like they’re part of a creative organization. “People have their own Pinterest pages and personal brands,” he adds. “We’re creating this backdrop for making them feel like creators themselves.” #Influencers don’t clock in. They make #impact from the throne of a lounge chair, not the confines of a cubicle.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

AWWNAW posted:

iPhone XI with FaecesID

Gonna be X2 and you know it

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

NEED MORE MILK posted:

the apple pencil is infuriating, their explanation is that you generally charge it using a standard lightning cable and the ipad thing is just for emergency charging to get some juice into it real quick. but if thats true then why the gently caress isnt the lightning port built into the pencil and the adapter the add on to be used with the ipad? why is the loving easy to lose tiny adapter not a part of the pencil? have it snap on the pencil like the cap so its harder to lose. or at least include a carrying case.

gently caress

Because in Jony’s World, there are no artifacts in one’s environment that have not been placed there intentionally, deliberately, and with great consideration. His is the very embodiment of modernism, a perfect reflection of rational order, of rebellion against disharmony and indeed entropy itself. In fact, he exists more as the instantiation of a platonic ideal than anything else. In this world, a cap connector is superfluous as there is no surface angle to draw the cap away, no excess body motion to imbue the cap with angular momentum, and no environment that is not of one’s own making to otherwise obscure the cap from one’s gaze. Jony is both God and inhabitant of this world of perfect harmony and balance. Indeed it is said that His fingertips do not even secret essential oils, and that the inclusion of oleophobes on Apple touchscreens are simply a vestigial remnant of His corporeal existence. A kind of skeuomorphic echo from a distant past, if you will.

Extend this logic to the larger Apple ecosystem and you’ll see why your complaints are trivial, baseless, and possibly even heretical. It is here that one will realize mewling over the MBP’s keyboard design is a concern utterly without merit, for it posits dust as something more than an abstract philosophical vehicle for exploring the concept of decay. Perhaps, deep in the hallowed grounds of the industrial design labs, He has explored its properties, but dust, as a material, simply has no value to His vision. So too it can be said of the need for dongles, which is another term that holds no inherent meaning. Remember, in a world of perfect order, there are no lesser, sullied devices to connect to. There is no concept of time, much less hurried meetings to attend. There is no concept of space, much less remote sessions to dial into. There is no environment that is not of one’s own making, so any experiential friction must be the result of one’s own choices. Jony is not a masochist and therefore cannot comprehend your lamentations. And while Jony loves you, salvation, redemption, and the imposition of rational order are ultimately your responsibility.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Im waiting for home pod too

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
its me I'm the guy who has a life and expects technology to comport itself to my needs rather than subjugating myself before a high technology museum piece

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Management posted:

okay, let me spell it out for you guys. this is Apple doing what they do on every product ever. they are only targeting the highest end first. if that catches on they will move down market.

I’m not saying the HomePod is any good. I don’t know but I’m guessing it isn’t. but what has happened is that Apple has created a price ceiling for everyone else. you can’t be more expensive than Apple.

people that buy the cheapest thing, and there are many of those, are going to get the no margin echo dot and google home mini. people that have money and spend it on good quality stuff (audio in this case) are going to buy the HomePod. just like iPods and watches and phones and tablets and laptops and streaming boxes. they’re going to suck up all of the dollars in the market despite shipping much fewer units than their competitors.

this already kills the google home large speaker. why would anyone buy that when they can have a HomePod? and some competing products that undoubtedly sonos and others were working on. and if there is a sufficient market for it, I’m sure they’ll have a cheaper version out soon, moving the ceiling lower, squeezing everyone else down, making it so only ad or membership-subsidized cheap poo poo devices are profitable to sell (see android). Apple wants all the hardware dollars, the rest is for the other guys to fight over.

no idea if this will succeed in this market, but that’s how Apple plays.

This is me. I actually had Sonos, with a Playbar and two Play:1s in a multi-room setup, but the app loving sucks and the multi-room audio was always slightly out of sync, enough to make the whole thing more trouble than it was worth for me. With that said, I'm prepared for a 1.0 disappointment.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple Watch is cool because it’s like hey wouldn’t it be awesome if all the useless, spammy push notifications you got on your phone were now suddenly pushed to wrist instead, with the option of either impossible to notice haptics or impossible to ignore haptics? And wouldn’t it be cool if the only way to see what was tapping your wrist all the time was to have to flick your wrist in such a way that you look like a jackass to the other human beings you were talking to? And wouldn’t it be great if the only way to tame the nonsense was to spend more time flipping switches in the watch app than a Linux user spends configuring their OS? And wouldn’t it be super cool if there was a round hardware button and a long hardware button that both basically do the same thing but not quite because oops Jony bet big on Sprint and Google’s circle of friends feature and now they have to desperately redesign the OS every year to try to fix a hardware design flaw?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this more or less stupid than that health system Google tried a few years ago and promptly gave up on? From a naive outsider’s perspective it looks like Google just tries to hit everything with the Big Data / Deep Learning hammer and doesn’t give a poo poo about any non-quantifiable externalities, whereas Apple generally takes the time to learn the domains it tries to move into. But idk.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scott Forstall posted:

why I upgraded from iPhone 6 to iPhone SE

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimmy Carter posted:

yeah, the thing that you spend hours every day using, lets you talk to anyone on the planet and find out anything you want, has made a ton of the things that you do on a daily basis better and easier, and lets you remember and document things so that you don't have to worry about your withering mind? gently caress spending any more money on that than you absolutely would have to

My SE does all that for nearly a third of the price and with the added bonus of being designed for actual human hands and use in actual human environments.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ripoff posted:

Hey babe, how bout some Netflix and chill? *pulls out keyboard and magic trackpad*

Oooh is that an update for VLC or are you just happy to see me?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I preordered a HomePod too but already wish it had one input or knew what was up with AirPlay 2.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

who else would buy a homepod?

I’m a retired, midwestern mother of 6 who voted for Trump and still supports him but wishes he wouldn’t tweet as much. I get angry when players take a knee at the national anthem and even my cats leave the room when I start yelling. Anyway I’m an android user but one of my grandkids left me an original iPad with Mr. Siri from England on it. He’s sexy as h*ck and always has the funniest things to say when I tell him about those ungrateful NFL players. You bet I’m getting a HomePod!! Definitely the white one though, there’s just something about the oth—hold on there’s somebody from the failing liberal satanic New Dork Times outside again.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how YouTube doesn’t even allow full screen video in safari on iPad.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tk posted:

Works fine for me.

I mean the UI is still poo poo otherwise, but it lets me full screen videos.

Edit: Oh, I just realized it’s giving me the desktop site. If I try to go to the mobile version it just redirect me to the app.

Wasn’t there a feature in a previous iOS that let you bypass the app redirect thing? I could be making poo poo up.

Oh nice just requested the desktop site and it “fixed” Google’s hilarious misunderstanding of the web.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m listening to mine right now. I’m not used to any bass, so this sounds really boomy to me.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
E: Wrong

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 10, 2018

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have an ongoing text thread with 10 friends, 3 of which use android friends. iMessage thinks this should be displayed as three threads selected randomly and it’s been like this for years.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stymie posted:

only the best and brightest at tim cook's apple

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doors handles vs. push plates to indicate direction and axis as an example of an affordance is literally one of the first things taught in design 101 so lol at the primacy of aesthetics, or something.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shoulda used Muhammad Ali with the Olympic torch as your shake to undo example, OP. Coulda side-stepped this cocaine-induced sand trap altogether.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

consumer products at least

it's spelled "consumers product"

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fantastical is a good calendar app.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this praise for Winamp as if Winamp 3 and 5 and AOL didn’t happen.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sonos is good in this regard in that the logo works at any orientation.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

bump_fn posted:

whens the new SE phone gonna come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

really hoping for a new se at the mar 27 event, this 5s with a 99% dead battery is driving me nuts

on that note, anyone else experienced their car battery seeming to drain *faster* while charging in the car via usb? it's like the phone is charging the car battery rather than the other way around

Same. The SE is so cheap I just buy them by the dozen and toss 'em once they start to degrade. Kinda like an iPhone dixie cup dispenser. I'm almost out of SEs and would rather restock with new versions.