Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jimmy Carter posted:

If you use a thunderbolt cable, its a lot faster if the OS is booted compared to target disk mode

yeah, i discovered that the second time i did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

has it always been dog slow?

thunderbolt from a maxxed out 2015 mba to a maxxed out 2018 mbp went slower than loving gigabit

depends. if you’re in EFI it’s not going to be very fast. if it booted the kernel it would be much faster.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

target disk mode died when firewire went rip

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

eric posted:

Release the new mini with replaceable ram tim and non gimped processor tim.

2012 called and has minis for sale

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

depends. if you’re in EFI it’s not going to be very fast. if it booted the kernel it would be much faster.

yeah, i found this out. tbf i have no idea how target disk mode actually works, so it hadn't occurred to me that there would be a performance difference

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

yeah, i found this out. tbf i have no idea how target disk mode actually works, so it hadn't occurred to me that there would be a performance difference

yeah new tdm works best with gige or tbolt

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sniep posted:

lookit that ghost computer

spoopy computer

stay safe norton ghost

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple Inc. is designing and producing its own device displays for the first time, using a secret manufacturing facility near its California headquarters to make small numbers of the screens for testing purposes, according to people familiar with the situation.

The technology giant is making a significant investment in the development of next-generation MicroLED screens, say the people, who requested anonymity to discuss internal planning. MicroLED screens use different light-emitting compounds than the current OLED displays and promise to make future gadgets slimmer, brighter and less power-hungry.

The screens are far more difficult to produce than OLED displays, and the company almost killed the project a year or so ago, the people say. Engineers have since been making progress and the technology is now at an advanced stage, they say, though consumers will probably have to wait a few years before seeing the results.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-19/apple-is-said-to-develop-displays-to-replace-samsung-screens

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
broke out my iphone 4 to play music at work. seven years later and it still works like a charm

praise stebe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
whens the new SE phone gonna come out

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

bump_fn posted:

whens the new SE phone gonna come out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the new iphone se 2 x will have a notch

ufarn
May 30, 2009
really hoping for a new se at the mar 27 event, this 5s with a 99% dead battery is driving me nuts

on that note, anyone else experienced their car battery seeming to drain *faster* while charging in the car via usb? it's like the phone is charging the car battery rather than the other way around

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the iPhone ceedos notch

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ufarn posted:

on that note, anyone else experienced their car battery seeming to drain *faster* while charging in the car via usb? it's like the phone is charging the car battery rather than the other way around
source your quotes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if there was an iPhone SE a week from now it would have leaked a long time ago

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

really hoping for a new se at the mar 27 event, this 5s with a 99% dead battery is driving me nuts

isn't apple replacing batteries regardless of apple care for like :20bux:?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ufarn posted:

phone battery draining faster while charging over car USB? I notice it doesn’t charge very well at all, I don’t think it can pull very much power through it

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

The Management posted:

if there was an iPhone SE a week from now it would have leaked a long time ago

im holding out hope normal people dont care about the se

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

OldAlias posted:

phone battery draining faster while charging over car USB? I notice it doesn’t charge very well at all, I don’t think it can pull very much power through it

a phone using gps/streaming music with screen at max brightness isn't going to charge very fast

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty sure the march 27 event will be education focused, stuff like a new version of classroom, pencil support for cheaper ipads, maybe a new entry-level macbook

I doubt there will be phones, the invite says "join us to hear creative new ideas for teachers and students"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ufarn posted:

being plugged in probably causes the phone screen to stay on, and you are likely keeping the radios active streaming music or some poo poo. if you have a lovely 12v to usb charger and thin long cable it might not be able to keep up.

buy this car charger and this usb cable and you won't have a problem. if you do the other possible reason is that your phone is heating up to the point that it can't charge the battery.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

pretty sure the march 27 event will be education focused, stuff like a new version of classroom, pencil support for cheaper ipads, maybe a new entry-level macbook

I doubt there will be phones, the invite says "join us to hear creative new ideas for teachers and students

plastic MacBook Air equivalent :flashfap:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a phone using gps/streaming music with screen at max brightness isn't going to charge very fast

ya of course. even with none of that it mostly helps to keep my phone from dying rather than charging it any significant amount. idk what other vehicles are like though, I’ll look up specifications later

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

it will be an ipad pro with keyboard

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Boiled Water posted:

I really would buy this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ufarn posted:

i swapped the battery in my 5 a year ago and it's been just swell. gets yours swapped ffs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if your dumb car charger is 0.5 amp it is not really charging your phone when you’re navigating

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dongslayer. posted:

im holding out hope normal people dont care about the se

they don't whcih is also why there won't be a new tiny baby phone

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if it looks the same as the current se it probably wont get leaked

dont give up hope

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Decided to give paid Apple Music another try. I added a playlist to my Library and downloaded the songs. After it finished downloading I looked in my Library and it was empty. Thanks Tim, great work as usual.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Linguica posted:

Decided to give paid Apple Music another try. I added a playlist to my Library and downloaded the songs. After it finished downloading I looked in my Library and it was empty. Thanks Tim, great work as usual.
this is what happened to my library when my trial subscription ended. restoring everything was such a pain

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

if your dumb car charger is 0.5 amp it is not really charging your phone when you’re navigating

does carplay have a requirement to be a high current charger?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Linguica posted:

Not even in the Playlists section?

if you have "add to library" disabled then playlists songs/content won't show up in your library, obviously. but if the playlist you saved/downloaded isn't even in the playlists sections then welp you're holding it wrong i guess

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Linguica posted:

You have to explicitly add Apple Music playlists songs to your library, even if you've saved the playlist to your account.

You're basically subscribing to the playlist and adding a shortcut to it, but not really adding the songs themselves to your library until you specifically add them (either individually or highlighting them all and clicking "Add to library")

This is because some playlists change dynamically and have songs added/removed from them regularly and I guess they don't want to potentially auto-add new songs or remove songs from your library without your permission.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

being plugged in probably causes the phone screen to stay on, and you are likely keeping the radios active streaming music or some poo poo. if you have a lovely 12v to usb charger and thin long cable it might not be able to keep up.

buy this car charger and this usb cable and you won't have a problem. if you do the other possible reason is that your phone is heating up to the point that it can't charge the battery.
lol @ itt idiot killing their batteries by trying to cram as much wattage into the battery as possible while the device is hot

coke
Jul 12, 2009
oled actually uses more power under high brightness and degrades faster under high temp too so inside a car is probably the worst place to use them

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Last Chance posted:

You have to explicitly add Apple Music playlists songs to your library, even if you've saved the playlist to your account.

You're basically subscribing to the playlist and adding a shortcut to it, but not really adding the songs themselves to your library until you specifically add them (either individually or highlighting them all and clicking "Add to library")

This is because some playlists change dynamically and have songs added/removed from them regularly and I guess they don't want to potentially auto-add new songs or remove songs from your library without your permission.

i have an 'add to library' playlist for this exact reason, just hit the ... and add the whole playlist to the add to library playlist

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I actually took a screen recording of the Apple Music Library while I had song downloads in progress. As soon as the downloads finished, all the playlists instantly vanish.

The fix for me (hopefully??????) was to also download an album, so I had both playlists and albums, which apparently gave my Library enough of a kick in the rear end to actually realize it had poo poo to display.

https://i.imgur.com/KySfLtR.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its complete garbage. recently i had some albums have a duplicate of every single song suddenly, only way to fix it is to delete from library and download it again