Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

t h e plat-
form for
gra phic     design
professionals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Smythe posted:

I've used Chromecast in the past but I'm not clever enough to reliably automate it, and it gets a lot trickier if the content your displaying is dynamically generated or live composited. There are Enterprise Solutions which own but are $$$$. Even in my dumpy theatre I've crept up to 5 freaking "digital signage" tvs

half the "enterprise solutions" are just pieces of poo poo running an old windows and ie (11 if youre lucky) with a script thats just settimeout window.location. at least this is what cisco is/used to be

theyre also 2008 hardware that burns itself out in a few months sitting behind a hot display/wall

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

if you have old relatives, youd know this poo poo still exists and is still just as expensive and purposefully convoluted

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

did ive do the old cheese slicer mac pro?

otherwise the unibody mbp is his only genius design

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the new one is the grater, the old one is the slicer

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the one in between is the whiz can

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

like literally no one was asking for rounded edges that make a phone hard to hold. the flat sided 4 and 5s were great, maybe use a rubber bumper around the edges for better grip

iphone 5s is still the best phone form factor. same as why the oneplus x was the best (lol) android phone

no one makes this poo poo right anymore. every phone must be two handfuls of slick slippery curves that you then place in 2 inches of safety helmet

which sounds better than it is

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i stopped using a kensington lock bc the tsa never had any idea wtf it was in the xray and when the tsa doesnt recognize something you realize just how weird you are

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

https://twitter.com/bzamayo/status/1156565733926756352

edit: the support document got updated and this isn't true: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210205

i get why this is the case but lol all the same

if ive had been there another year there wouldve been just one thunderbolt port and it would be on the bottom

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

theres also this weird quirk about "pc enthusiasts" who dont understand arch or systems but obsessively monitor ram usage and cj their os even if its windows, in that they'll overbuy every part of their computer, play overclock lottery and go through 5 cpus, etc., but when it comes to RAM they'll obsess over CAS timings but then say no one ever needs more than 8GB like it's 2005

like those pc building reddits are insane, people will post the "fix my parts list" and they'll tell people to spend $150 more for GPU with a potential 0.5% greater overclock, but then be like "lol bro i see you have 32GB of RAM? no one needs that bro just get 8". there are recommended builds that have more VRAM than system

there's a related weird quirk where RAM is the one capability of your computer that people get mad if your program actually uses. if a program only run sat 95% CPU you'll get tons of angry posters complaining about losing out on 5% of efficiency, but if your program adaptively uses more than 4MB of RAM everyone's all WHY IS ALL MY RAM BEING USED

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

apple decided hardware wasnt enough for them, want to branch into media

and its working. theyre demolishing the onion at their own game

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Smythe posted:

I had the giant unibody c2d mbp and it kicked rear end. Mobo died tho. Rip. It was like 17" or smth? Cost a fortune.

same

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

honest q to people who have them: whats good about them that does not also apply to bluetooth headphones in general? cause everytime i ask someone who has them they just list stuff that turns out its the first bluetooth earbuds theyve had because theyre scared to be seen using anything non apple

also vs std behind the ear buds, what do you do when you need to pull one earpiece out because of an environment where you need to listen for cars/announcements etc. just hold it in your hand? or if you need to take them off for a minute, you can't just drape them around your neck? like i dont think theyre the worst thing ever but i just dont see any appeal and they look a bit 2005 bluetooth business guy

e: lol nm 5 hr battery life and buggy accelerometer autopause theyre the worst poo poo ever

signed, the worst poo poo ever

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

qirex posted:

if they had literally just replaced the screen in the old macbook air with a retina one and made minimal other hardware changes it would still be the best apple laptop

imagine a laptop with magsafe and usb-c :pcgaming:

the death of magsafe is the surest sign were in hellworld

in heaveworld people have magsafe-c iphones in iphone 4s size. also they leave them at home and never use them because computers are stupid

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

rjmccall posted:

stymie isn't handwaving anything. in stymie canon apple actually secretly wrote a backdoor for the fbi and provided it to the israeli hackers to use on the fb's behalf. why exactly this was necessary vs the israeli company just finding and using an unpatched exploit is unclear, but that's just how things go in stymieverse

also, reminder that the shooters practiced good opsec and thoroughly destroyed the personal phones that they actually coordinated with and that the phone in question was a rarely-used work phone that there was never any reason to believe had useful information; it was all a manufactured test case in the court of public opinion, and apple won, and even if you accept the stymie conspiracy theory that doesn't change

into the stymie-verse

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

this is probably supremely functional compared to the mb keyboards

steve sits on his ensconced golden slab guiding all 'find my' requests across the apple user base with his mighty reality distortion field fed only by the sacrifice of every creative idea a designer has

i tippity tapped on it somewhere and it wouldnt be happy with it (apart from the rest of the dumb as poo poo thing), but would take it over current mbp keyboard 10 times out of 10

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

brave is the browser where their dev spreads fud (without mentioning his job) about all the requests to tracking domains other browsers do, then goes "but this brave browser sends only requests to brave.com, so your data is safe and secure!"

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

getta load of this edgelord

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ok mr IRS auditor smarty pants, if im not allowed to write them off as a deduction then why are they "professional"

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

as the realization came over them that the macintosh operating system was, in fact, a piece of poo poo, thus began the end of the third age of yospos

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol everything about this

6" 3 million pixel screen to display 21 words and theres still no space

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

carry on then posted:

aeropods pro

in the aeropods over bt

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

in a universe where netflix hadn't been running a streaming service for very nearly a decade, this would simply be a lazy oversight. in this universe however, it's completely bewildering

tbf prime is also one of the most comically bad apps to the point im sure all devs must just have harnesses to render whatever sub-element they work on before getting cycled to another project and no human on the team has ever used the app

netflix is also garbo now. "continue watching" and the queue often arent in the top three pages of ui and half the time bug out and dont show up at all

in terms of $ per use case (both in revenue and dev budget) these have to be some of the most fantastically resource rich pieces of software ever made and theyre way worse than plex

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

LastInLine posted:

depending on how youre measuring 41% of us households have smart speakers (as of the end of 2018) and that's better market penetration than tablets or wearables

i have no idea youre defining "home audio" tho

this is the thing thats finally turning me from a normal sociable person into some kind of fsf gnuman toecheese pariah because ive started to ask people to turn them off if im at their house for any length of time and they keep popping on in the middle of conversations

ive been gifted three now because theyre so loving subsidized and pushed by amazon that people go "oh i bet the cs guy would like this". the first two i just did the polite acceptance thing then took to electronics recycling but the third one i tried to politely refuse while saying i dont want one in my home. it was awkward but loving amazon shouldnt be able to set a social norm of putting their ears in your home and life then make you feel weird for going "no thanks"

all alexas are bastards

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Management posted:

the lack of hard volume adjustment keys is a bigger problem than missing f keys

i obsessively double tap the mute key to make sure its muted bc i only use the speakers like once a month

everything should come with hard disable switches for wifi, camera, speaker and mic. get that kind of courage apple and ill buy your poo poo again

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ive used one and its ok, and i respect a libre-targeted product for doing an ultrabook and not just big creaky plastic brick, but its not in the same ballpark as mbp build quality (reasonably given their constraints) and we should be demanding this very easy and obvious poo poo from apple and dell and everyone else

also that stupid offset keyboard which lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Last Chance posted:

ive had a 10pm reminder for seven years and its never failed me

yeah man i eat fiber too

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

fart simpson posted:

you gave your wife chlamydia

hes too busy spreading his stis to every thread

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

when it runs out of battery just go buy a new one

the stebephone if he used phones like his cars

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

James Baud posted:

Lol, Freedom/Wind, the "doesn't work inside buildings" carrier is the only one that works on your subways?

youre acting as if you're under the delusion you actually own or have rights over this device, your data, or your own time and attention. you're asking dumb questions like, "why can't i do the thing i want efficiently and robustly, or at least as easily as i could 15 years ago?" you should be asking "how can i generate more bits per second of monetizable tracking data for service providers job creators"

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

pram posted:

you bought a hackintosh? lol

i will admit to hackintoshing circa 2008 when i was doing audio production stuff

i looked into it a few years ago thinking "oh i bet the community has this all sorted out now and has distros that detect all your poo poo and registries for the kexts and stuff so youre not reading through 500 forum threads looking for attachment v132-real-KlaXXXXoN-ubermensch-(fix)(2).zip"

lol nope

also 100% FULLY WORKING in hackintosh world still means wifi, ethernet, mic, camera, and bt don't work, sleep/standby don't work, no battery status or power management, and if you accidentally click yes on an upgrade you brick

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gamers ryzen up. rip this thread. epyc

piledriver

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

two gratings

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i touched a mbp16 and its ok, but lol when did they start putting the headphone jack on the wrong side

its just endless trolling at this point

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

wow, timb has a grate rack

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol i u ever use icloud

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

now that itunes is dead, is there any other way to back up your phone?

be the subject of an fbi investigation

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

my first exposure to bluetooth was 20 years ago ups was doing some experimental deployments with it and the delivery guy had some scanner strapped to his palm/fingers? but he still had this big portable strapped to his waist wired to a controller in the other hand

so he spent like 5 minutes at my door trying to scan this delivery with the dumb finger scanner while trying to keep it close to the thing in his other hand that was big enough it could have just been a scanner

"I bet this will be great in a few years, because computers kept getting monotonically better in the 90s" thought dumbass y2k me, opening his box of mice balls or whatever

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

timb will assume this is about the mbp16 and will skip right over going back to the post-2015 poo poo to entirely oled touchscreen. in 2 years everyone will be swiping on their laptops. half of all github issues will be fullstack react devs complaining about incorrect swipe completions for your library

ive got an mbp16 and while it finally let me go back to apple the reduced travel vs early 2015 sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

every time i click a link it spins up a new vm with a random os and random browser with its noscript equivalent enabled. this process is recorded as a series of tiff images (being patent unencumbered) which are then posted to a rotating series of newsgroups as multipart archives and parity files which i can then download at my leisure once they propagate to my swiss newsgroup box